Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Second half of season rental - best resorts?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, i hope this is the right spot for a post like this.

I have a couple trips booked in Jan - if i enjoy these as much as i remember i enjoy skiing, I am considering doing several weeks from the back half of Feb.

Has anybody done something like this before? If so, where would you suggest targeting?

For context, I am mid 20's, don't need crazy apres but enjoy going out for food etc. Would be going with girlfriend. Would likely work in the evenings for a few hours whilst out there.

Is it better to drive to the alps and change location across the 6 weeks or so? Has anyone done this before and do you have any tips?

Another issue I have encountered around this is finding somewhere to find accommodation for 1/2 people - I am looking for what i guess is classed as 'luxury' but doesn't have to be something ridiculous, perhaps a nice modern apartment with nice views, a hot tub is a bonus - something like that. The problem I seem to have, is that most of these cater for 4+ individuals, which doesn't feel worth the money.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A lot depends on how quickly you think you would tire of a single resort. Obviously people do spend entire seasons in single resorts, and you might be happy doing that particular with one of the mega resorts. Or you might prefer variety, in which case you either move from place to place every 1 or 2 weeks or stay in a valley base with access to multiple resorts - such as Bourg St Maurice for the Tarentaise resorts, or Sallanches for the Haute Savoie ones. You may want to seek out the thread by @ElzP on her multi-week stay in Aosta, Italy, skiing in multiple resorts in the region.

When it comes to apartments you need to look at what they are rather than how they are advertised. A lot of French holiday apartments are described in terms of the maximum number that could be crammed in: a one-bedroom apartment which I would consider comfortable for 2 might be described as accommodation for 6 if there are bunk beds in the hallway and a double sofa-bed in the living room.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Astontech, I would go to a big area and stay there. You are more likely to meet people to ski/hang out with and it’s easier and cheaper for lift pass / accommodation etc. If you have a car most season lift passes give you access to other local resorts so you can always get variety that way. Hiring something decent for half a season sounds difficult. Most bookings are a season rental or by week. However there are always people leaving resorts due to injury etc looking for people to take over their season rental which is probably your best bet. You’d need to get on the appropriate FB groups for your target resorts to get in quickly when options pop up. I would aim for somewhere high like Tignes / Val Thorens / Verbier / Chamonix etc which have long seasons going until the end of April. April is a great time to ski but most of the smaller/lower resorts will already be closing. Accommodation is also much easier at the end of the season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Astontech, depends on how much money is a factor for the trip.

If you're planning on going halfway through Feb, that's school holiday time, which might make it tricky to find decent accommodation.

Moving resort also means buying multiple lift passes, whereas you could stay in one area and just buy a season pass.

Or you could stay somewhere that a season pass could cover multiple resorts, for example, the Tirol Snowcard or Superski card in Austria, the Dolomiti Superski card in Italy, or the Magic Pass in Switzerland just as a few examples. This would mean you could move around if needed, but only need to buy one lift pass.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Astontech, when you say work in the evenings, are you just talking working remotely?

France+apartment for 2+hot tub? ca n'existe pas
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In terms of budget, maybe 15k for 4 weeks in March (comment from swskier put me off Feb lol)

Work remotely yes, I work for myself Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Astontech wrote:
In terms of budget, maybe 15k for 4 weeks in March (comment from swskier put me off Feb lol)

Work remotely yes, I work for myself Very Happy

Wow! Decent budget, that Very Happy . I'm sure you will find something suitable in that price bracket. I think some will be skiing a whole season for less....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH wrote:
@Astontech, I would go to a big area and stay there. You are more likely to meet people to ski/hang out with and it’s easier and cheaper for lift pass / accommodation etc. If you have a car most season lift passes give you access to other local resorts so you can always get variety that way. Hiring something decent for half a season sounds difficult. Most bookings are a season rental or by week. However there are always people leaving resorts due to injury etc looking for people to take over their season rental which is probably your best bet. You’d need to get on the appropriate FB groups for your target resorts to get in quickly when options pop up. I would aim for somewhere high like Tignes / Val Thorens / Verbier / Chamonix etc which have long seasons going until the end of April. April is a great time to ski but most of the smaller/lower resorts will already be closing. Accommodation is also much easier at the end of the season.

I was thinknig of heading high - I appreciate the help here, Chamonix/Verbier are appealing - anywhere else to consider?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Astontech, can you extend in to April as well? if you were looking at 6 weeks, then you could do start of March to Mid April, great time of the year to ski.

Agree with @BobinCH suggestions of locations. You could add Cervinia in Italy as well, with access over to Zermatt.

No hot tub, but this looks nice in Verbier:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/641014525500926074?check_in=2024-03-02&check_out=2024-03-30&source_impression_id=p3_1698945723_0wUCHEChcf04MeBC&previous_page_section_name=1000&federated_search_id=e52fb6fd-f88b-415b-bd95-f3840b0ece48

Plenty of options on Airbnb for the whole of March.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Switzerland and US are the best place for a ski crib with a sex pond.

Plenty options, such as Verbier, Gstaad, Zermatt, St Moritz, Aspen, Vail, etc.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Astontech wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

I was thinknig of heading high - I appreciate the help here, Chamonix/Verbier are appealing - anywhere else to consider?

I have a place in Verbier and reckon it’s hard to beat. Would definitely stay for April though if you can.

Zermatt is another cracking place to be in March / April if you have the budget.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Astontech Clients wanting to book for a longer period will be very welcome, and offered a discount. It's just that the standard web site doesn't include any provision for this, so all you see are a multiples of the weekly rate. What you need to do is take a look at some target locations and then contact the rental agency with your details and budget and see what they offer. Owners and agencies would generally rather have a single long booking now, discounted, than speculate on filling the same weeks with multiple bookings. And post-New-Year through to half term can be very uncertain for bookings.

While yes, half term weeks will be intrusive if you've arrived earlier and got used to quiet slopes end of Jan / beginning of Feb, you might find that this coincided with you wanting to take a break anyway if your budget stetched for a longer period. So somewhere like Verbier, with easy public transport access to interesting places nearby, might suit. While the school-age families are making the slopes busy, you might enjoy exploring the famous Château Chillon, or doing a CGN paddleboat steam ship tour of Lake Geneva etc. Or if you're a culture vulture, a day at the Fondation Giannada in Martigny. Or a trip into the heart of the mountain at the Bex salt mines. Or a day at the thermal resort of Les Bains de Saillon. And so on.

One thing to watch out for is that apparently quiet weeks might not be so quiet if there's some major group or event on. So check the resort's web pages to see, and perhaps ask the Tourist Ofice if there are any particular weeks to avoid. We once spent three weeks end of Jan and one of them coincided with a massive French medical student annual trip, so perhaps do some Gogle searches to chek on major Uni excursions etc. at any target resort.

When we go out for a few weeks, we generally are inclined to take Saturdays off, especially if the weather isn't particularly great, as this can be when it's busier than in the week, and all the nutters are out.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Astontech, just looking at your dates. French vacs scols don't end till March 10 iirc so - given the option - I wouldn't be choosing France till after then. Which again points towards then till mid April. Which means longer light, poor mans' powder and rosé aperos on the terrace. Which is all lovely.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Take a look at the school hols chart - https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5058185&highlight=school#5058185

There is a decent gap in Jan and another in March . Those will likely be the cheapest and quietest weeks…
Jan is likely to be colder and snowier . March longer days and more chance of apres in warm sunshine.

Not available yet for 2024/25 but imagine will get posted in the coming months
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
For context, I am mid 20's, don't need crazy apres but enjoy going out for food etc. Would be going with girlfriend. Would likely work in the evenings for a few hours whilst out there.

Is it better to drive to the alps and change location across the 6 weeks or so? Has anyone done this before and do you have any tips?

Depends on how you enjoy your skiing. If you’re a high mileage skier, you’ll need either a large connected ski domain, or you’d better be moving before you get bored.

Also, if you’re working in the evenings, you may want to stay in a place where your girl friend has something to do in the evening.

Someone mentioned North America. If you’re into skiing off-piste, the US or Canada should be on your radar.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy