Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Carroz or St Gervais for 1st week in Jan?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I am trying to decide between these 2 resorts for 4 days skiing start 1st Jan.

Lets assume that the snow conditions are going to be fine at both for the sake of this discussion as so far I have only committed to the cost of some cheap fights so if the snow is terrible we will can the whole trip.

I can get budget accommodation at both resorts (sub £250 for 3 nights AirBnB or equivalent), ski hire and lift passes for both areas are similar so the base cost is comparable. There maybe other resorts to consider but so far the accommodation has been the limiting factor.

We will have a car so if we go to St Gervais I will have easy access to other areas such as Les C. This is probably the easy option as I have skied at les Houches/Cham and Les C before (but not St G).

I have never been at this time of year so not sure how busy each area will be which might be a decided factor.

It will be me and my 12 year old son so the skiing will be a mix of on piste blue & Red run.

If anyone has done both of these areas I would appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Neill
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not much to choose between them in my opinion. Similar types of skiing, snow reliability etc. Both are perfect for blue / red skiers.

Not sure about relative busyness at that time of year.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 1-11-23 21:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Carroz will be busier on-piste as it links to the Grand Massif. At St Gervais you can drive to other areas. They are the reasons you would go to St Gervais. But, the infrastructure at St Gervais is old, the link to Megeve is a it slow and you might not want to drive to other areas. Horses for courses.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Carroz will be busier on-piste as it links to the Grand Massif. At St Gervais you can drive to other areas. They are the reasons you would go to St Gervais. But, the infrastructure at St Gervais is old, the link to Megeve is a it slow and you might not want to drive to other areas. Horses for courses. Snow wise, they both sit on the snow line. Les Carroz has better access to more red/blue at higher elevation. For that, you need to go to Les Contamines from St Gervais. St Gervais has a lot more charm IMO.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well if the snow is good (your assumption) then the directly accessible areas from each are about the same size (as published) and both are good for blue and red runs. Any French resort is likely to be pretty busy New Year week, but St Gervais might be less crowded once you are away from the main access points.

(If the snow is sub-optimal, Grand Massif may have better options in the direct area, St G has the "plan B" of going up the road to Les Contamines).

One thing is what you think will work for your 12-year-old. Will his enthusiasm be tackling some slightly harder reds, or using his skiing ability to do some longer trips? In St G you can get a real sense of travel working your way over to Megeve and then along the Rochebrune ridge to Cote 2000 - and even more so if you take the navette across Megeve town to the Le Jaillet gondola and do the trip over to La Giettaz.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@j b, You bring up a good point about my 12 year old. He is actually a decent skier but is cautious on new slopes, we frequently do the same run twice in a row and he let's the skis run more on the second time down.

Assuming the snow is the at both resorts I am tempted now to go to St Gervais, we can head to Les C on day one which he knows well to build his confidence. He also loves Les Houches where he learnt to ski so we can do a day there as well providing the snow is okay (back to Les C if not).

That leaves 2 days to explore the St G area which will set us up well for our next trip Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Neillp, good plan. The only thing about Les Houches is that it needs a separate lift pass - your plan would require you to buy a day pass for Les C, then a different one for Les Houches, and then two days for Evasion Mont Blanc.

You can get direct access to Les Houches from St G using the Tramway du Mont Blanc - slow but something of an adventure for an adult let alone a 12 year old. Buy a one day pass which includes the Tramway from the station in town. You would obviously need to check webcams/forecasts the day before to know if the snow is worthwhile.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@j b, thanks I did think about the team, that would be a great experience.

Good to know you can buy a day ski pass at the station, I had looked it up on the website but couldn’t find anything.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Neillp, you need to check the Tramway times in advance, and arrive in good time to buy your passes - the ticket office isn't the fastest.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The French vacations are "early" this year, at least for Paris, so that week will be less busy than normal.

Because of that, I would probably opt for Les Carroz; while I like St. Gervais/Les Contamines, I like the overall Grand Massif/Flaine area better, but ONLY provided the crowds are less. When it's crowded it drives me crazy. The runs down to Les Carroz can be really fun if again, you aren't constantly worried about hitting someone or getting whacked yourself.

I think you'd be happy either way if the snow is good.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Pasigal, Thank you that is useful info about the Paris holidays.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Note - Sticky on this forum of European School Hols say that Fr Schools are on holiday 23rd Dec to 6th Jan '24.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Neillp, Wait@skier52, is correct and I was wrong.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="Pasigal"<] (edited out incorrect information about school holidays)

I would probably opt for Les Carroz; while I like St. Gervais/Les Contamines, I like the overall Grand Massif/Flaine area better, but ONLY provided the crowds are less. When it's crowded it drives me crazy. The runs down to Les Carroz can be really fun if again, you aren't constantly worried about hitting someone or getting whacked yourself.

I think you'd be happy either way if the snow is good.[/quote]
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy