Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap AND good skiing, possible?!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks, i'm kinda looking for advice on where to book for next year. I'm a skiier classed somewhere between intermediate and advanced (I can get down most red and black slopes with few difficulties and with a fair amount of finesse, but haven't ventured off piste yet), and want something that is going to give me a challenge without completely scaring the less experienced guys in the group. We did Borovets in Bulgaria this year and it was superb, but a bit limited by the end of the week, however it was very cheap. So there we go, i'm open to suggestions, but somewhere that isn't going to break the bank would be a distinct advantage. Thanks Guys.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevec, welcome to snowheads, I believe La Rosiere offers some of the best value skiing in France and italy, the domain is split across the two countries. Greta value lift pass, reasonable prices for eating out both in the resort and on the mountain. We also offer superb value in our catered chalet, see our ad in snowShops or go to our website www.tracksvacations.com for full details, our prices start at £280.00 per week for a fully catered chalet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stevec, the Ski Welt in Austria is pretty good value for money - hotels and other expenses, e.g. beer! Soll has great nightlife but I'd stick to the peak season to avoid any snow shortages. 250km of piste.

Mayrhofen was also really good value when we went 2 years ago. It has excellent intermediate skiing, but plenty of blues also for the less experienced. This area also has a glacier so it's pretty snow sure. 600km piste, not all lift linked is covered on one pass.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevec, welcome to the site. l'Espace Lumiere in the southern French Alps also fits the bill. There's about 230km of skiing with pistes for all levels although total beginners might find it a bit limiting. The lift pass is dirt cheap (EUR103-EUR137 for 6 days) and gear hire is also cheaper than in the mainstream resorts.

It's a very French area - none of the UK tour operators go there - so the slopes are very quiet outside the local school holidays.

Because you fly into Nice (2hr 15m transfer), winter flights are very good value.

In our village there are a couple of reasonably priced hotels and chalet board at our place starts at £250pp - plus there's a 5% discount for users of this site and the site receives 5% to help keep it running. www.chalet-ski.co.uk
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice work - 2 out of 3 replies so far are chalet pimping. To be honest if all I hear about areas is someone with a vested interest pushing them I'd be likely to be turned off but that's my personal view.

To the original question is depends on how you define cheap - you can go to some of the best resorts in the world first week in January for peanuts if you hold your nerve & book late or bargain hard.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, I'm very pleased you sound just the sort of punter who'd enjoy Val Despair.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevec, welcome to snowHeads snowHead .

Yes, it's possible to have cheap and good skiing. Perhaps you could give us a bit more information to narrow the field a little - cheap and good doesn't necessarily limit the selection that much. Do you have a country in mind? Small/medium/large ski area? Skiing convenience important? Pretty village important? Type of accomodation (chalet/hotel/self catering) ? Means of travel? DIY or Tour Operator? Time of year you want to go? Price per person? Group size?

Sorry to respond with lots of questions (and there's no need to answer them all!), but with a bit more detail you'll probably get more responses.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob wrote:
Nice work - 2 out of 3 replies so far are chalet pimping. To be honest if all I hear about areas is someone with a vested interest pushing them I'd be likely to be turned off but that's my personal view.

To the original question is depends on how you define cheap - you can go to some of the best resorts in the world first week in January for peanuts if you hold your nerve & book late or bargain hard.

I agree.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevec, welcome to snowHeads snowHead .

In order for us to be able to help you a bit more a few questions for you,
are you prepared to book your own trip or do you only do packages,
are you constrained by a certain time of year
and what is your budget?
what factors are important to you on any holiday and what are not important? (e.g. apres, quality of accomm, quantity of pistes etc etc

With the info that you've already given and the answer to the above, I'm sure that we can help you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer wrote:
fatbob wrote:

I agree.

Agreed Confused
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Kramer wrote:
fatbob wrote:

I agree.

Agreed

and again.

infact i am going to be quite outspoken about La rosiere

i find the place boring, and to be honest pretty average, the link into italy is often closed by wind and when you do get over there none of the mountain restruants have got terraces...you can work out for tyourself why Toofy Grin

i think it is a great place for a family holiday with kids but not if you want much to challenge you Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CEM, I agree. I loved La Rosiere, but that was on a family holiday with an 11 and 12 year old. We had a great week , but I did nearly get blown off a drag lift by the wind.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the helps guys, I do accept I’m being a bit vague. I suppose "Good skiing" to me means lots of red and black runs that are going to keep me interested, the problems with Borovets is that there are only 4 black runs in the resort (I think), a big area would be good to as it means you're not on the same lifts and same area everyday. There is a group of 8 of us this year, and we have quite varied skill levels, so it's pretty important that the beginners/lower intermediates aren't going to get to scared and that there are also a few greens and blues around. We're looking at going early Feb or late Jan, just before half term and paid £250 last year, but that was last minute. I'd prefer not to book last minute (because of the size of the group). Ok what other info can I give, err, well not worried about what the accommodation is, I guess a chalet would be best, but I’m open to suggestions, some good après ski would be good to. Oh and I’m quite prepared to book it all myself if needed. Hope this helps, and thanks again for the help.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At the risk of appearing to chalet pimp, as I do have an apartment there, but it is way too small for 8 of you, I am going to suggest Serre Chevalier, particularly if you stay in either Chantemerle or Villeneuve, as there are plenty of options for the less able skier. Loads of pistes (250km), cheaper than the more obvious French resorts, and a cheap flight and short transfer to Turin. Our apartment is in Monetier-les-Bains which may be a bit quiet if you want some night life. There's a nice place in Chantemerle called Les Marmottes that you can book through Hannibals. i think a couple of SnowHeads have stayed there. A traditional French Chambre d'Hotes, but nicely decorated etc, and run by a ski instructor and his English wife.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevec, I'm a big fan of the Grand Massif - Flaine area. You can go very cheaply although some of the accommodation is pretty basic in the old blocks. Admittedly some time ago, 8 of us did a January 4 day weekend for £285 a head driving out, and that was all in including food, beers, packed lunches, ski pass, ski hire etc. Look at Erna Low for apartment rental

A bit further south I would endorse Helen Beaumont's recommendation about Serre Che,

Italy tends to be hotel based and I have no experience of Austria to speak about.
snow conditions
Quote:

Look at Erna Low for apartment rental

I like the Erna Low approach, but you can actually get cheaper apartment rates by booking direct, either through the local tourist office or direct with owners - a range of sites, which you can find by Googling them. But shop around - some of the owners sites are a bit optimistic about low season rates. You have chosen an excellent time, when French resorts, in particular, will have heaps of spare accommodation and the snow should be good. I would agree with Martin Nicholas that the Grand Massif would be a good choice, and near Geneva (with 8 of you, a private minibus/taxi transfer would be good value). Less experienced skiers need not buy the whole domain lift pass though the coverage of the different passes can be a bit confusing.
snow conditions
ALpe d'huez may well meet your criteria as may Vaujany or Oz en Oisans willages in the domain. Quick transfers from and cheap flight to Grenoble. Fair amount of tough stuff to challenge you and plewnty of skiing to suit a range of abilities. I've skied there twice. There are a couple of the real powder hounds who really rate it as well.
latest report
CEM wrote:

infact i am going to be quite outspoken about La rosiere

i find the place boring, and to be honest pretty average, the link into italy is often closed by wind and when you do get over there none of the mountain restruants have got terraces...you can work out for tyourself why Toofy Grin

i think it is a great place for a family holiday with kids but not if you want much to challenge you Toofy Grin

Another windswept day, bored and stuck inside an drab Italian Mountain restaurant paying €20 for a rubbish pizza and a beer wink Well the cloud was obscuring Mont Blanc rolling eyes

ski holidays
Pimp Daddy's back.

I'm afraid Le Seignus would fall down on the nightlife aspect, it's a pretty quiet village most of the time. La Foux is a more mainstream resort and there are a few cheap hotels up there but no catered chalets. Late Jan/early Feb you'd have no problem getting rooms in the hotels.

There's a British run chalet over on the Pra Loup side of the ski area - www.chaletpraloup.com

I enjoyed Soldeu in Andorra (6 years ago) but more recent visitors suggest it's not as cheap as it used to be.
snow conditions
stevec,

I have just booked David@traxvax, 's Chalet in La Rosiere for January 2007. Trip works out at £312 each incl Easyjet from Belfast, transfers, and catered chalet. Excellent Value.

I would also echo hayley t, . Soll is excellent value for money with a huge ski area. Directski.com have some great deals there at the moment.

Pimpin over Very Happy
ski holidays
johnboy get yo bitches off ma patch!
snow conditions
Directski are doing Hotel Eggerwirt in Soll (10/3/07) for £296.00 (London) and £323 (Manchester)

It is a 3* H/B hotel. I stayed there 2 years ago. Great value.
latest report
stevec, It sounds as though you've got to the point in your skiing when you should be thinking about skiing off piste. Take some lessons (private would be best), and that will open up massive extra possibilities for you. I should think you could look at Slovenia, Poland and the Chech Republic for very reasonable prices and interesting skiing, but apart from Slovenia I'm not sure how good the infrastructure is. Certainly they hold big mountains and lots of places to ski, with very favourable prices.

I won't suggest you come here because most of our massive black skiing is not pisted!

fatbob, Kramer, It must also occur to you that people have settled in an area because they think it's great, and therefore want to show it off to other Snowheads! I agree, however, with Helen Beaumont, that La Rosiere is brilliant for families with kids - very nice village, friendly and cosy and not too busy, but dull as ditchwater for an ambitious group of skiers. (Sorry David).
snow report
I'm fine with people having good reasons for being places and within reason don't object to people advertsing their businesses in their sig line. I just think its a bit off putting for a newcomer to the site asking an open question to be then deluged with people pushing their own chalets. I've seen it happen on other sites and it just becomes a joke - every post asking general where should I go questions becomes "Come to X its brilliant for beginners/intermediates/advanced/rockstars" from a number of people operating businesses there.

Now I appreciate that people with chalets do support the site through advertising and have thus far refrained from commenting but the initial responses struck me as particularly blatant - asking little in the way of clarifying questions.
ski holidays
Thanks for the help guys, i think i now need a bit of time to go through all the options you have thrown up. Fatbob, thanks for the comments on pimping chalets, it did feel slightly like walking into a used car showroom initially! But reading through a bit you have come up with some good ideas. On a slightly different note, has anyone else been to Borovets? I had heard good reports (not from this site i accept) but wasn't to impressed myself, any thoughts?
ski holidays
fatbob What clarifying questions needed to be asked?

By any definition, La Rosiere and Le Seignus are cheap and have the range of skiing that was mentioned. The original post was a request for general info. rather than "where should I go in the third week of April that has award-winning childcare and ten nightclubs?" Both David's and my posts were appropriate answers to the question asked.

The fact that in the hour and a quarter before I posted only 1 non-commercial user had replied is out of my hands.

There has been previous discussion on whether commercial postings should be allowed and I think I posted (it's what I think but I can't remember if I said it) that I'd prefer commercial posting to be more limited than it currently is. The moderators always have the right to remove a post they think is inappropriate but I rarely see this exercised in relation to any of the property owners.

If you think those posts were blatant, wait until next season gets closer and people get desparate to shift their unsold spaces (not me, only 2 rooms in 1 week that I want to sell then I'm happy).
snow report
stevec, I was struck by their marketing pic last year that showed trees laden with snow and 1m + at the sides of the piste, but an ugly brown patch of ice in the centre of a flattish run. I suspect they have some grooming skills to learn yet. Never been though so cannot really comment
snow conditions
If someone wants to pimp me 3 twin rooms ot 2 triples in an apartment or chalet from 25 jan to 29 jan within 3hrs drive of Geneva having great skiing, close to lifts, great nightlife and cheap then bring it on! Smile Smile Smile (but not chamonix)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevec, you asked about Borovets: I've not been but a good friend has. He thought it was alright for a cheapy but said he wouldn't go back. He said despite apparent efforts to clean the place up there are still a few hookers hanging about, and he hates lift Qs. Also, as a trained first aider he saw someone being "rescued" off the mountain and was less than impressed. I don't think eastern europe is the best place to have a big wipe-out.

He now goes to remote places in Canada so he never has to Q for any lift ever! The cost, travelling time and lack of nightlife don't bother him.

Going back to your original question (good and cheap skiing) unfortunately they are not often compatible. If you have a large group booking late is not always easy. Go for some of the "back-door" resorts into big lift systems e.g. Brides-les-Bains for 3 Valleys. The nightlife is not always great down in the valley at the end of a gondola connection but a large group can make their own fun. Or have a look at the Pyrenees (french, spanish & andorran), generally better value than the alps, and better skiing than eastern europe.
snow report
stevec, hi steve, if you decide on serre che not only do i have my chalet which sleeps up to 7 but i also have contacts here and can get you an appartment for up to 10 people, right next to the piste and really really nice.

and cheap!!!

pm me if you want more details
snow conditions
stevec, I own a chalet in the Serre Chevalier and live here permanently. I never rent it out but I would like to add that although the Serre Che is a stunning valley with fantastic skiing terrain (on and off-piste) and great for families, lots of new installed fast lifts, the chance to ski through beautifull tree-lined undulating pistes, I suggest you keep away, indeed everyone keep away, so I can have those runs to myself! wink
snow conditions
chris, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
halfhand, Several snowheads here at that time - could probably put a thinking cap on to go cheap - PM me if you want any info. (sorry guys ....... I DON'T HAVE A CHALET BUSINES) Laughing Laughing rolling eyes
snow report
Try Gressoney La Trinite, I stayed in a very good 3 star hotel there this winter for only £38 per night half board.

The main problem you will have with the major European ski countries is that you are never going to get lift passes as cheap as Bulgaria.
snow report
easiski, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
chris, i like your style!!!!
snow report
Nothing wrong with 'chalet pimping' - altho the term is abit harsh- if the poster is up front and has sorted out the backroom stuff. Its no worse than selling a pair of skis or whatever here... Everyone else is free to say what they like about the resorts...!!
latest report
stevec, I'm not chalet pimping by the way - I make no money out of any snowheads who book through me....

If you want great skiing but reasonably priced accommodation, I would recommend skiing Les Arcs / Pardiski but staying in either Plan Peisey or Bourg-Saint-Maurice.
I can help with finding self-catering in Plan Peisey - outside of new year and february I can get apartments that work out at about 100euros per person per week - they're not 5star, more like 3star, and all really close to the slopes, bars, shops etc.

For BSM, PG is your man to talk to on snowheads.

The ski pass is more expensive, but the range of skiing is fantastic, just on Les Arcs let alone Paradiski.

Email me if you are interested in seeing what accommodation I could find.
latest report
2 years ago did vaujany for a week, 2 of us with lift pass and all food, flights and hire car, staying in pierre et vacances place at top of village for £420 each. The alp d'huez domain has lots of blacks/red and vaujany is the least busy sector and access to oz for bad weather days for the only tree lined bits. Nightlife does not really happen however, but were too tired most of the time. Mountain resturants are brilliant.
ski holidays
Les arcs via erna low would easily come under the £250 mark I think late jan - I recommend the apartments charmetogger for a mixed group. Took 12 of my mates there a couple of years ago and we had a great time, good skiing for all levels (if bulgaria is at all like slovenia was you'll find the reds at Les Arcs more than match the black in bulgaria) but non-scary 'core runs' for anyone from confident snowplough on. The apartments drop straight onto a lift to the centre of the 1800 runs, and the walk into town is about 300yards (a bit of a hill but nothing major). The ones in town are even cheaper but smaller too. The nightlife is lively and varied enough for a few nights out, nothing special but not too expenssive either

Another alternative is to take ryanair to salzburg and hit the austrian B&bs - schladming highly recommended (100% snowmaking too) but there are loads of places within an hour or so by taxi/train and the family run b&bs come in every budget size!

aj xx
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy