Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
coldrainsnow wrote:
Anybody know what the snowline ended up being during the storm today up at Grands Montets? I'm hoping the top half got some decent snow, but it also felt like it came in a bit warmer than expected...

Was there today. It was all rain unfortunately.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any idea where to find th best piste skiing tomorrow given the warm weather? It's all slush today esp in the PM
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Cookiemonsterhahaha, lol yup you are correct, had a fun day in the sun at Montets today but the snow was pretty horrendous. Very good actually above 2300m and rain crusted chop and ice below. It did improve around lunchtime in spots as they started to get baked a bit in the March sun. The touring looked great and I bet the snow was really nice even higher up! It was a nice day for Col du Passon for sure.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Same in Brevent/Flegere! The morning was great but most people were gone after 3pm because of the slush lol thinking of driving to Megeve or Courmayeur tomorrow to take advantage of the unlimited pass. But can't decide on which, any good advice?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Cookiemonsterhahaha, Courmayeur probs has better snow and is forecast to be cooler ... I'd think Megeve a washout ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
@Cookiemonsterhahaha, Courmayeur probs has better snow and is forecast to be cooler ... I'd think Megeve a washout ...

Thanks! I'll give it a try and report back Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Cookiemonsterhahaha, also if you haven't been to the top of the Skyway on the Courma side it's definitely worth a trip, especially if it's included in your unlimited pass. Usually much more chill than Aiguille du Midi and excellent views on a clear day!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
coldrainsnow wrote:
@Cookiemonsterhahaha, also if you haven't been to the top of the Skyway on the Courma side it's definitely worth a trip, especially if it's included in your unlimited pass. Usually much more chill than Aiguille du Midi and excellent views on a clear day!

Damn saw this too late, already back in Chamonix Laughing but skiing over in Courmayeur was great - a bit slushy for an hour or so after lunch, but conditions before and after was superb. No regrets paying for the tunnel (great discounts too)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How was it in the valley today?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Cookiemonsterhahaha, mild!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A dusting of new snow in Chamonix Dale this morning Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Peter S, ao I see, Mrs U is at home watching it while I'm viewing a beautiful blue sky in Scotland.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hopefully I’ll get to ski tomorrow. Looks like a weather warning for snow for eastern Scotland on Tuesday Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great day up at La Tour. Plenty of snow above 1600m and Everything open except the valley runs. Getting the train to Vallocine is so civilised! They had all the Pomas set up well and Visibility was good all day although the Fohn picked up in the afternoon. The snow remained good and there is still off piste available. Forecast is good again tomorrow.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lovely sunny day at Les Houches on Tuesday and almost no wind despite a howling Fohn down in Chamonix. Nice spring snow but getting rather narrow in a few places.
ski holidays
Heavy snow all day at Brevant and Flegere. It’s probably put down 20 plus cms. Today was the first time I’ve skied Brevant summit for more than 20 years. It was as dramatic as I remembered it. Good day. More snow tomorrow morning but better visibility would be nice.
snow report
@Peter S, it's certainly snowing just now! Much explosive activity which we don't hear so much being a bit further away.
ski holidays
9 inches of snow in my garden in Les Chosalets. But sadly the temperature is forecast to be above 10 degrees later today and the freezing level 2700m this evening.

Bonkers weather with the foehn wind dominating the next few days.

Going to skin up the scabby Pierre a Rik for some exercise and maybe a couple of laps in the Forrest if the promised clearing occurs.
ski holidays
Significantly less than 9 inches of snow in my garden in Les Chosalets on my return at 4:00. Warm.
snow conditions
Snowing heavily again this morning. Pretty much everything closed except Les Houches, the top of which was excellent in 20cms plus of new snow. Seemed like almost everyone there were British ! The sun came out and it turned into a great day with heavy snow off piste and good on piste skiing.
ski holidays
Great morning on the Grands Montets. Good visibility, excellent snow and light wind. The new ticket machines work well but don’t seem to offer the option of Carte Neige?
After lunch the Foehn suddenly picked up and hearse and Bochard closed. Only Tabe remained running and kept stopping. A huge queue built up and we opted to walk back up to Planard and ski down Pierre a Ric. It may have taken a while to evacuate everyone off the hill tonight Puzzled
ski holidays
@Peter S, yikes
ski holidays
Trees down all over, restrictions on certain roads
latest report
@Peter S, we may have passed you in the queue at Tabe! We skied Pierre a Ric as well; but even for those on the gondola it wasn't too bad in the end, looked like pretty much everyone was down by 4.30. Hoping the wind calms down a bit soon...
ski holidays
@schauspiele,
That’s good to hear snowHead
Very strong Foehn again this morning. Sadly we are heading home but had some very enjoyable skiing overall. Lots of snow above 1900m. Impressed with the transfer buses from Geneva these days. Cheap and efficient.
Eg flixbus and Swiss Tours.
ski holidays
Some incredible footage from the AdM today. Conditions look absolutely amazing
snow report
Anyhone been touring in the Aiguilles Rouges today? We're heading to Cham tonight mainly to see friends (given the forecast....) but it would be nice to get 1 or days skiing in. Probably one day touring in the AR then something off the Midi. Mainly concerned about windslab given the stormy conditions recently.
ski holidays
I'll answer my own question!

Skinned up to Col du Belvédère today, red hot velcro snow, hard work!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Meltus, I bet!
ski holidays
Meltus wrote:
I'll answer my own question!

Skinned up to Col du Belvédère today, red hot velcro snow, hard work!

Your user name is appropriate given current temps!
snow report
18c tomorrow then 20c in Cham on Sunday and Monday. Then 10c on Tuesday with rain (snow above 2100m).
latest report
My skis are put away until Tuesday or Wednesday. Very sorry for any visitors on their holidays over this period.

When I climbed here a lot in the summer in the late 1980’s it was never this hot and the night time (and rarely daytime) zero isotherm nowhere near 4000m as currently forecast.

What a mess.
ski holidays
@HammondR, to be fair, we have some chums over and their comment is only, "well, it's a wee bit slushy" ...
latest report
@HammondR,
A worry is that the cumulative warmth continues ? The last 18 months or more have seen every month warmer than the long term average, at least here in the UK. That has culminated into a very warm winter and Spring. Will that pattern continue this year carrying excess warmth into next winter or will we get some sort of change where there is a period that is actually cooler than the long term average ?
latest report
@Peter S, I'm not convinced you can extrapolate from 2 warm winters?
ski holidays
Some mates said VB was alright yesterday so I got convinced to head up despite being dubious.

Absolute crust fest, some of the worst snow I've skied. It's a rare day when the moguls before the salle à manger come as a blessed relief Laughing

Still, lovely weather nice to be out!
ski holidays
This past week in Chamonix was amazing. First time here and skied grands montets, le tour, brevent & flegere, courmayeur, and the VB. This place is epic and we will 100% be back. Best skiing of my life.
snow report
Turns out I am a bit of a fibber.

After walking/running yesterday for a couple of hours I was dragged out of bed (embarrassingly late) this morning to go to Courmayeur with the promise of a fine dining. The skiing was not quite the doom fest I had expected but was developing highly adhesive qualities by the 14:00 when we stopped to eat.

Best dinner (I’m from up north) I have ever had there, particularly the pile of lamb chops.

Interestingly my telephone then sent me one of those “on this day last year” photos. Blow me, I was in Courmayeur then too! Only then it was about 10 or more degrees cooler and we made fresh tracks down to Val Veny from Mont Fortin. I suppose next year could be like that again.
latest report
@Meltus, it’s all a bit pot luck isn’t it? We descended the Vallee Noir two days ago on Thursday. It was very good and we were the first (only?) tracks down there.

I wasn’t sure whether or not to post anything about it because you could sense it was changing. We had made the same descent two days earlier on Tuesday after the snowy night and it had been sublime fluff almost to the knees.

It is wind troubles on the Italian side and sun on the French.
ski holidays
@under a new name,
Yes hopefully not, but i’ll feel better when we get some months that are below average for a change Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy