Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
@Higs, thanks. We arrive tomorrow and going up Brevent in the afternoon so suspect it will be similar. Was it as windy as some of the forecasts suggest?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MikeskiH wrote:
@Higs, thanks. We arrive tomorrow and going up Brevent in the afternoon so suspect it will be similar. Was it as windy as some of the forecasts suggest?
No wind of any note.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MikeskiH, hard, from valley level and no special info to make a prediction re avvy situation.

It has been pretty mild today but lots of big slides yesterday so who knows?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lurking in the valley today, I think it'll be bulletproof out there. Bumped into Plake and his crew.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@phil_w, at least up le Tour, very springlike. Despite frost first thing, warmed up quickly.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is snow holding up well in Grand Montets & Les Houches? Both north facing so hoping to mainly visit those from start of Feb and snow fall looking sparse (if any) on the chamonix app for the forecast up til then - hoping for not another poor snow trip after last Januarys to Georgia rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@hbridges, Grands Montets has plenty of snow but it is currently mostly bulletproof… Les Houches have just cancelled the world cup races next weekend and I wouldn’t recommend unless there is more snow..!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
…Brevent & Flegere are the pick of the bunch currently for spring snow but only from 10 (bulletproof before), up to about 3…
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
offpisteskiing wrote:
…Brevent & Flegere are the pick of the bunch currently for spring snow but only from 10 (bulletproof before), up to about 3…

Ah thanks for the info - praying for snow next weekend then Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@hbridges, that isn’t going to happen
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Le Tour is very nice at the moment too, in a spring-like way.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wonderful spring snow skiing conditions the whole way down from the Col des Dards on Sunday. Softening up for the ascent from about 10:00.

Will spend the next few days looking for similar aspects at similar altitudes.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’m in Aosta for 5 days from tomorrow. Might pop through the tunnel and have a guided day in Chamonix if the experts on hear think it’s worth it. For reference I’m willing but lacking in skills. Will the guides be able to find anything soft to ski in the warm weather?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sbooker wrote:
I’m in Aosta for 5 days from tomorrow. Might pop through the tunnel and have a guided day in Chamonix if the experts on hear think it’s worth it. For reference I’m willing but lacking in skills. Will the guides be able to find anything soft to ski in the warm weather?

I doubt you'd find much powder anywhere, but I just got the email the new Mer de Glace gondola is open from tomorrow, so the VB is back on the cards, and a sunny day there might be worth it even if the snow isn't anything special.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sbooker, 2nding what @hold_my_biere, typed. A sunny day and you might find some nice spring snow ... not much likelihood otherwise ...
latest report
One of my chums who enjoys walking up stairs rather more than me went down the Vallee Blanche on Wednesday and said that it was pleasant with firm skied-flat snow most of the way.

Guides however might be in short supply with the grand opening.
ski holidays
Anybody interested in bits of different off piste? Report from the last few days; descended the South Couloir of the Aiguille Pourrie this morning. Very agreeable ski on velvet snow. I wouldn’t want to be staring descent much after 11:00. Get up early.
Also went down the Autel (bastardised to hotel) Face at Brevent about noon. Skiers right pretty firm, skiers left much softer. Bodies everywhere!

Inadvertently skied the North Face of the aiguille Pourrie Saturday. 45 degree polished vibranium. Because the top layer had avalanched off a long time ago. Not recommended.

Friends did the South Couloir of the Col de la Perseverance today and said the snow was just right. An early start and surfeit of energy required for a happy ending.

There is more to life here than the front side of the Grands Montets.
latest report
HammondR wrote:
Anybody interested in bits of different off piste? Report from the last few days; descended the South Couloir of the Aiguille Pourrie this morning. Very agreeable ski on velvet snow. I wouldn’t want to be staring descent much after 11:00. Get up early.
Also went down the Autel (bastardised to hotel) Face at Brevent about noon. Skiers right pretty firm, skiers left much softer. Bodies everywhere!

Inadvertently skied the North Face of the aiguille Pourrie Saturday. 45 degree polished vibranium. Because the top layer had avalanched off a long time ago. Not recommended.

Friends did the South Couloir of the Col de la Perseverance today and said the snow was just right. An early start and surfeit of energy required for a happy ending.

There is more to life here than the front side of the Grands Montets.

Nice work! Inadvertent north faces in Cham sounds interesting Skullie
snow conditions
@HammondR, very nice!
snow report
Good read on the BDO and elsewhere.

https://alpinemag.fr/mont-blanc-descente-skis-aiguille-moine-grand-gendarme-envers-plan-lardy-mehdi/

ski holidays
Hi there! Heading to Chamonix for the day tomorrow, any recommendations for areas where the pistes are still good? Ideally on the gentler slopes... Smile
latest report
Le Tour probably your best bet then
snow report
@Whitegold, was the Idris in that article our @idris??
latest report
Rungsp,

No, don't think so.
latest report
@Whitegold, just trying to work that picture out. It is clearly a route in the Aiguilles Rouge but not sure where. Looks something around the Encrenaz.

Anyway, that gives me the opportunity to provide a bit of an update, if anyone is remotely interested.

Today we skied the couloir from the Col de la Perseverance. Good spring snow and not as steep as the guide book indicated. Don’t know whether that is good or not.

I might be amongst the slowest ever ascensionists, but not the slowest descensionist! Still plenty to be done and zero Parisiens.
snow report
HammondR,

Think it might be the Zooreb couloir.
snow conditions
Deluxe clip from the Cesso chute (Courmayeur) at the end of Jan 2024.

http://youtube.com/v/xYbbSml6_VY
snow conditions
Quick question for the Cham experts. In Courmayeur for a few days from tomorrow. Is Vallee Blanche worth doing currently? Never done it and feel I should at some point but not so much I want to do it in poor conditions. Would be starting in Italy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stevios, it’s got plenty of snow at the moment and if you find a good weather day then give it a go. The ever present crevasse danger is about as benign as it gets up high.

Don’t go tomorrow. The world and his dog will be there and I’ll wager waits of between 90 and 120 minutes to move from the gondola station on the glacier to being on a train down.
ski holidays
Thanks for that. Not tomorrow as travelling out and tbh weather looks a bit mixed after that. Re the long wait I don’t suppose you jump the queue if with a guide like you would in a lift line (he asks with low expectations).
snow report
@stevios, erm that would be a hell yeah!
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4LJS9wNhHS/?igsh=MXN0b3I2d2JkdGh2ZQ==
ski holidays
Hey folks, does anyone know what's the discount on the mont blanc tunnel with the unlimited pass please? Thinking of going to Courmayeur one of these days
snow report
@Cookiemonsterhahaha, the price is about 16€ each way
ski holidays
Anybody know what the snowline ended up being during the storm today up at Grands Montets? I'm hoping the top half got some decent snow, but it also felt like it came in a bit warmer than expected...
latest report
@coldrainsnow, unhelpfully, no, but it’s been above 6-7 degrees in town all day …
snow conditions
@coldrainsnow, it was raining to at least 2200m earlier today.

I think the smart money is going for the Midi tomorrow. Luckily I am ill so I don't have to make any decisions.
ski holidays
@under a new name, hang on a minute; I thought you were permanently located in Italian eateries munching venison and wild boar
ski holidays
@HammondR, sadly not!
snow conditions
Quote:

@coldrainsnow, unhelpfully, no, but it’s been above 6-7 degrees in town all day …

welp, that's better than the 10-12 degrees that it was here downvalley all day.

Quote:

I think the smart money is going for the Midi tomorrow. Luckily I am ill so I don't have to make any decisions.

Totally, it will be nice up high I bet. Feel better!

Trying to meet up with a friend I haven't skied with enough this season, and tomorrow's the only day he can head out, so we'll hit Les Grands and see what happens. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the beta!
ski holidays
HammondR wrote:
@Cookiemonsterhahaha, the price is about 16€ each way

Thanks mate!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy