Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with kids....help!

Poster: A snowHead
looking for some help keeping kids occupied skiing please.

We are going skiing in feb half term (I must be bloody mad! rolling eyes ) to Solden with my best friend her husband and their two kids (8ish boy and 11 ish girl). They've been a couple of times and had a few lessons. think they can get about down blues comfortably (and reds?) from what I've seen as can the dad. The mum is not a fan of skiing unfortunately and happiest on the greenest of greens (that's a separate thread! Confused ). They're all going into ski school but we will inevitably all be skiing together for some of the holiday and id like to offer to ski with the kids for a bit so the parents can go have lunch etc...
Just looking for any tips or ticks to keep them occupied. Although they're very active outdoorsy kids Im guessing we will need to stop more for warm up breaks and hot chocolates etc... but does anyone have any good drills and things to occupy them whilst skiing. not to teach them but just things to do as going round the mountain?

Any other tips?

thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They will probably just want to ski in different ways / styles.
That’s what ours wanted to do.
The usual things that they will be doing in ski school anyway to get them used to balancing and weight transfer.
Lift one ski up and traverse on one ski.
Do little hops and jumps.
Pretend to be an aeroplane, with a pole in each hand, held in the centre of the pole, arms outstretched like wings and as you turn a corner raise one outstretched arm up in the air and the other down to the snow.

Now this is the cue for someone who IS an instructor (I am most definitely not an instructor) to come along and say that I am talking rubbish
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Look for any terrain that is a bit different and looks fun eg. Natural half-pipes, small jumps, easy routes through trees, interesting diversions off to the side etc etc
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mostly kids find those jumpy bits for themselves! Skiing backwards is quite fun for them, and some instructors will do that in lessons - kids love showing off about this as many most parents won't ski backwards, or only very slowly!

Some resorts have special "fun routes" for kids, with lots of jumping over tree roots and little windy paths. Or "beginner level" fun parks, with tiny jumps (parents often don't like those either - I always went round the side).

They might also like a toboggan session, rather than skiing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JHS, perfect! thank you. Just some fun little things to inject if they're feeling cold/tired etc. keep them moving. i'm trying to remember all the little drills I've been given over the years to (attempt to) improve my skiing.

@Old Fartbag and @pam w, yes, need to investigate this. there was some fab stuff in saalbach like this. musical notes to go over and hands sticking out to high five. little jumps and ledges. I actually quite enjoyed it too Laughing although going backwards Pam...... Shocked a recipe for disaster for me i think. I'll leave that to the kids to show me up. although i was watching a 360 turn video from Floss the other day. might try to master that one.

thanks all. to be fair, after another week of ski school, they will probably be teaching me Laughing they seem to pick it up so fast! I imagine they're both better than their parents already.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

they will probably be teaching me

That's probably what they'll enjoy most - especially the younger one. You pretending to be an inept pupil.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I ski with 5 boys - this season just gone, ages ranged from 8 to 10. We’ve been going for a few years so they ski blues fast and can get down a lot of the nicer reds. Firstly, I’d say ask them what they want to do but just go skiing. Make it interesting by taking them over the mountain like a guide. Go on an adventure somewhere. If you have a GoPro, then get them to ski with it using a chest strap. If there’s a choice of routes (say 2 blues down) let them choose (and this can be great in some forest tracks where there are many ways down). Don’t necessarily stop off too much but make sure they stop and eat well for lunch (even if just chips). They might go round piste poles (I’m not keen on them doing this because they don’t really get risk!) but they usually do it with instructors. Take them on undulating terrain. Take them to the fun parks. Don’t scare them on the steep stuff. Try not to lose them on the slopes.

Of course, everyone is different so they might not be like this at all!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been in the same position, being the family friend who can ski skiing with friends and their children and - really don't worry/think about it!

Rather than "ski with the kids for a bit so the parents can go have lunch etc" you're role is much more likely to be "be someone the kids can show off to" and "let dad focus on his skiing/the slower of the 2 children, knowing you're watching the other". And as for worrying about keeping them warm/entertained - hey, you're in the 'aunt' role, that's not your job. When things go wrong, that's when you hand them back to their parents Very Happy Depending how well you know the resort you might want to take them somewhere you know they will like but generally just ask them where they want to go. For example I was in Morzine with friends/their children last Half Term so took them over to Chez Ba'beth, because the decoration is...a 'little' Christmassy.

When you're skiing with them my opinion is you're better off letting the instructor push them in their lessons, while you focus on making sure they are happy/confident as opposed to scared and enjoying themselves.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's a fun slope thing and timed slalom race track on Gigijoch which the kids loved this years half term.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If they are the sort of kids who just hare off with never a backward glance, be VERY clear about the limits. At the risk of being a "boring auntie" don't let them ski out of control. Far too many incompetent kids seem to be allowed to straight-line busy pistes hoping to find some way of stopping before they hit somebody. One of my grand-children did that, despite warnings, and her father told her sternly that one more bit of daftness meant she'd be grounded. No skiing for the following day. He meant it, and she knew it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Teach them mountain skills- read the piste map, safe or daft places to stop on the piste, look at the weather and the weather app, let them decide on a route and lead (safety rules apply). If they are safe crossing the road at home then they are old enough to learn these new skills.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@HoldingOutForSnow, @Mjit, @harvey13, @CathyAuLait, all great. Thank you! Very Happy
And yes. @pam w, you’re so right. the younger one will LOVE teaching us. He is always informing us of little nuggets of information about the world.
They’re both great kids, very polite and a pleasure to be around and I think they’re still snowploughing away so hopefully not too much hooooning about (yet!).
snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Penelope wrote:
...I think they’re still snowploughing away so hopefully not too much hooooning about (yet!). snowHead

Never underestimate the speed a small child can snowplow at!

Just remember the golden rule - they're not your kids, so when it all goes wrong just walk away and leave the tantrums and tears to mum and dad Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1. Pocket Haribo.
2. Everyone gets a piste map
3. You will always be tail-end Charlie/Sweeper, let them take turns being The Leader
4. Short burst stints with regroups until you feel more comfortable letting them on a longer leash
5. If they've only been on blues, you get to be the Cool (not)Aunt that takes them on their first Red/Black/Off piste
6. Phone numbers for everyone and make sure volume is turned all the way up.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You'll have a great time, @Penelope. Skiing with little kids can be a lot of fun and so satisfying to deliver tired but happy kids back to their parents - who are lucky to have you along!
snow report
PS actually snacks of some sort are a good idea. It doesn’t need to be any more interesting than something like a nut bar that you know they’ll eat.

And take some of those hand warmer gels if you have any in case they fall and shove their gloves into the snow.

I enjoy skiing with children. They can be better company than some adults who either need things to go their way or want to prove something - children just want to ski, eat and have fun.
ski holidays
Insist they go to the loo before they come out -and before they get all their stuff on!!!!
ski holidays
Great advice above. In bullet points.

1. Urination
2. Uno
3. When urinating in ski gear with gloves on string- do not pee in your gloves- you get a hot smelly glove- this is very important to know, rather than find out all for yourself.
4. Hot chocolate
5. Showing off in the woods is risky (holes, rocks, branches)- 'I don't care if you went there this morning with ski school.' (Had a v bad experience when kids much younger- middle child went straight into a boulder- he was mostly fine- bits fell off the boulder- really- I got quite shouty as this had been explained repeatedly beforehand). If you go first then it's ok though.
6. Don't pee in your one piece. You get a hot smelly one piece, sock and ski boot.
7. Look up hill before you set off.
8. Don't underestimate how fast a 7,6,5,4 or even 3 yr old can snow plough (bloody fast).
9. Did I mention urination?
10. I write my mobile number on their helmets. But they aren't your kids- so piste map / phone number / labels in pockets with name, contact details , insurance etc is for their parents to sort. Only needed this once I think- possibly twice.
latest report
3. Never mind the children it's a constant concern for me and an adult too! Smile
5. Meh, they usually bounce (my friend's 7 year old tried to pick a fight with a 65 million year old mountain last year, the mountain won which seemed to suprise him) - and the OP's not the parent so liability is limited to saying "Watch out X, that's not a good idea." and "X, you're parent told you not to do that.", the shouting is for the parents to do.
latest report
a repost from a year or two ago, but feels relevant

For those of you who have never had the JOY of skiing with younger children, the normal thought processes are...

"Christ, where have they gone now... "
"Turn... Turn...TURN...TURN!!!!"
"How has everyone on the mountain managed to buy the same jacket for their kids this year?"
"GAAH CRASH! OhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyG...oh, their laughing...GET UP!"
"Ok, follow me or you won't know where we are goi... oh they've gone... F**k..."
"How can they snowplow at THAT speed?"
"Jeez, if I bent my leg like that I'd be in traction for a month and looking at Ibuprofen for the rest of my life!"
"This used to be so much easier..."
snow conditions
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Good advice from everyone. Thanks!
latest report
Quote:

I write my mobile number on their helmets.

Is there a risk that someone thinks they are for sale and calls you
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I write my mobile number on their helmets.

Is there a risk that someone thinks they are for sale and calls you

Don’t take the first offer and negotiate them upwards
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
"How has everyone on the mountain managed to buy the same jacket for their kids this year?"

A solution to that AND a way to make yourself favourite aunt/uncle - https://www.helmetheads.co.uk/plush-covers
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy