Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monterosa vs Via Lattea December 2023

Poster: A snowHead
Just found out that the ESF Creche in Montgenevre actually do Ski School from 2 years and its really well priced Very Happy

So think thats our decision made, nowhere else is offering that !

Thanks @snowymum, Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Jimbo94, a bit late to the party but the Monterosa runs are much longer than most, we went for a week at half term in 2016, family of 4, all good black/red run skiers and we were really enjoyed staying in Champoluc, there was only ever one busy lift and plenty of runs, this pic is on strava of a day out to Alagna for lunch and back (& looks like I started the watch late)

I also used to go there for off piste boys trips, there is a lot of terrain available with a guide!

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kitenski, Yeah I will definitely be going there, just not this time, but likely this season Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jimbo94,
Quote:

Ski School from 2 years

Puzzled with maths and Italian lessons in the afternoon? wink I don't imagine it'll be any different from any other creche? Or is it just that there's a creche at all?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok so now that I'm going to Montgenevre, I've heard a lot of talk about the area not being well linked with the rest of the Milky Way (Via Lattea), I'd love to know more details on this. 110Km does not sound like much and would love to explore as far as possible

We are visiting on the 16th December and Via Lattea opens on the 7th, so I hope they will be well opened up, and not just have a few open slopes Shocked

Also, being that we are in France now, I hope that the food will not be worse and more expensive, vs the usual in Italy - amazing and cheap Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jimbo94, Glad to hear you have booked Montgenevre! snowHead snowHead Most of the times we have been to Montgenevre we have found enough to ski in the Monts de Lune area (Montgenevre plus claviere). We have also enjoyed the run to Cesana which is on the way to the rest of the Milky Way. Some of the lifts are slow so it takes longer than you'd think to get over to the rest of the Milky way but I've heard there is a new lift up to the Roche D'Aigle in Montgenevre this season so that will make it slightly easier to get over to Italy. The other reason that we've been happy to stay on the Montgenevre/Claviere side is that tends to have the best snow and we have always been there early or late season.

One thing Montgenevre lacks is mountain restaurants although the two it does have are good. There are plenty of eateries at the foot of the slopes and there are further mountain cafes in Claviere. I prefer French food though!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I prefer French food though!

vs Italian? Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, Most definitely!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowymum, Shocked

Like what? I mean, I am no lover of polenta, but still a fine tagliata beats any entrecote hands down.

I guess it's not necessarily down to the menu, I just find that (generalising hugely), Italian restaurants are a much better rapport qualite-prix than French.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, La Thuile seemed quite lacking at the time of year for childcare unfortunately

Champoluc was great of course, we had a hotel with in house care etc

Montgenevre dont only have a creche, they have BB skier option, which is that they go out in the snow on their ski’s and learn balance and basics etc. Nowhere else had that, not even Champoluc I believe but I could be wrong

The lack of mountain restaurants is going to hurt me in Montgenevre if I’m honest, it’s nice to have the non skiers come up the gondola and meet for a nice lunch at a good restaurant in the sun Sad

I love french food when it’s done well. However there is no comparison with Italian for me unfortunately, and thats not even to mention value for money, and when you’re on the slopes its all exaggerated of course.

I definitely prefer french wine though Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jimbo94, it would be best just to look at the piste map re. links to the rest of the ski area. It should be evident from that how well connected the two parts are (i.e. not well).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@denfinella, I’d also guess early season even less chance of links opening? We’ve done montgenevre late season and the links were shut. But it snowed mid week to make up for it Eh oh!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, Yeah that was my worry also, BUT Via Lattea opens 7th December and Montgenevre is already blanketed white, with nothing but snow on the forecast so fingers crossed. I wonder if I might check out Serre Chevalier for a day since its so close and its been a resort I’ve been curious about for a while, is there a bus linking Montgenevre to Briancon ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jimbo94, No there isn't a ski bus to Serre Chevalier.

However there is a mountain restaurant at the top of the Chalvet gondola called Les Terraces which is excellent. There is also a self service restaurant on the north facing side but you need to be on skis to reach that.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowymum, Yes I had seen already about Les Terraces des Montgenevres, assuming thats the one you are talking about

My parents actually don't seem too fussed about meeting us for lunch on the slopes, so that leaves us more free to stop on skis wherever without feeling like we are leaving them out Laughing

I have seen that Claviere has more restaurants and these will be Italian and is probably less than a 15minute ski away, so we can stop there too Very Happy

I would like to check out Serre Chevalier so perhaps we can take a ski cab or something ? I really would have liked to drive, but for our party it would have to be a big van and not too keen on driving that in heavy snow etc. having never driven such a large vehicle before, especially since we need to leave for our flight on Sat morning at 5AM. Alternative would be 2 cars but still seems more hassle than the cheap transfer we've got

Any recommendations for Claviere restaurants ? And any recommendations for restaurants in the town of Montgenevre ? Our son will be stopping ESF for lunch so we may go down to meet him a few times, assuming there is probably a restaurant/bar close to the ski school
latest report
@Jimbo94, This place is great on the slopes of Claviere - Baita La Coche, gets quite busy at weekends though for lunch. There's also the chance to eat there in the evening if you're staying in Montgenevre, they pick you up and then take you up the mountain on a skidoo.
snow report
@surferrosa, Ah nice cheers we always like to do one evening dinner in the mountains

Unfortunately I just found out that the link even just over to Claviere will be shut ! So I'm seriously considering scrapping Montgenevre Crying or Very sad

Only thing is I need to find some ski lessons/day care or some sort of care for my 2 year old the same as I had in Montgenevre

Champoluc seem to have loads of babysitters and childcare, La Thuile less so, and I don't think either of them have ski experiences together with child care in the same was as Montgenevre does Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
@Jimbo94, not surprised about the links so early in the season tbh. With a 2 year old though how far away would you seriously want to be if it was a multi hour/multi lift way back home in case they suddenly became ill?
snow report
@Jimbo94, a lot of places will not be fully open on 16th December as I don’t think European school holidays start until 23rd.

I think Montgenevre is a good bet given it’s altitude and snow record. As you say it is well above average for childcare too.

I think you will find enough to enjoy there. If not it is a five min taxi to claviere.

If you want a large ski area you’d be best off going to one of the big resorts in the tarantaise but I really wouldn’t bother given that you have a 2 year old. Montgenevre is good for family friendly apres ski with the Durancia pool and it has the monty express rollercoaster.

You will also find enough restaurants when you are there. The village sits between the two parts of the ski area so there are a large number of restaurants you can ski down to.
ski holidays
@Jimbo94, it still seems like you are looking for perfection in terms of open slopes, snow conditions, childcare, amenities, village charm and more. That would be difficult to achieve even in midwinter as a single skier; as a large group with varied requirements travelling in mid December, it's practically impossible. I think you need to accept that you can't get everything you want, wherever you go.
snow report
@denfinella, quite.

And make a frickin' decision!!
ski holidays
@kitenski, I'm not used to it unfortunately - I've been to Madonna di Campiglio twice in December and both times the resort and connections were fully open except for a couple of runs. Some resorts try and save the snow and opening for the Xmas week, whereas others just open up as long as conditions allow it. I can't understand why they wouldn't open the connection to Claviere since both Claviere and Montgenevre will be fully open, and there is clearly lots of snow. Seems to be some ulterior reason unfortunately

Regarding being far away, I wasn't planning on skiing to the other side of the Milkyway lol, but I like the ability to be able to ski as far away as makes sense, whilst still being reasonably close. Also there is my partner who does not ski anywhere near as much as me, and my grandparents who will be available to help out in case I can't be back immediately, but that being said, I was not planning on being longer than 30mins-1 hour away anyway, but I do ski quite fast I guess and that seems to be causing confusion here Laughing

@snowymum, Yes that's the idea, beat the school holidays, avoid the queues and the people Very Happy

5 Minute Taxi to Claviere is a good option, guess that helps out the situation a bit for sure, but I'm sure it can be complicated to get a cab etc hopefully it's not the case

Honestly I do not need an exaggeratedly large ski area, I didn't even look at those areas for the exact reason that I am not going to be going off so far and also because flights are more complicated. I am purposely deciding based on what is good for the kids, but at the same time, we also want to enjoy some good skiing. Montgenvre with the connections open, seemed like a great compromise. It is still be a viable option honestly, was just a bit bummed that Claviere connection isn't even open Sad

@denfinella, Not perfect at all, will always have to compromise on something, but trick is finding what the best compromise is Smile In fact my other 2 options are also not bad at all. La Thuile is 150Km, snow sure, and also has ChildCare albeit not the same as Montgenvre, and Champoluc although smaller has the nice long runs which I think will make up for the lack of piste Km's.

To make things clear, we (Mostly my brother and I, my father in law too, but his knees don't allow him to push as hard anymore) are very into the actual skiing itself, and in fact last 2 holidays only stopped twice for lunch and spent the rest of the time skiing full days non stop from lift open to lift close. We usually ski around 50-60Km in a day. This time would be a bit less of course because of the kids, but even MDC (With 150Km) with the kids felt a little too small for 6 days - although that may be due to some of the short runs - The better, longer runs are in Pinzolo and Marilleva

Perhaps we shall just stick with Montgenvre at this point, will decide by the end of the week, @under a new name, sorry for doing your head in mate Smile
ski holidays
@Jimbo94, nobody knows if the links will be open or not.
latest report
I would be surprised if the links aren’t open to Claviere with the new eagle’s rock gondola opening. Unless of course the snow conditions were poor, which is unlikely. Where did you hear that the links wouldn’t be open?
ski holidays
@kitenski, When I called today I asked if there was a chance that it could open earlier and they flat out said no Confused

@surferrosa, Saw it on the website, there was no price list for the Monts de La Lune supplement before 23/12, got a nasty fright, called up the ski area, and got told as above, wont be open and no chance of it being open Sad
snow report
Vialattea always staggers the opening.

Last season was roughly 20% open on Dec 12th, and 80-100% open by Dec 19th.

Vialattea save the best for Xmas.

If you want a big ski area open in mid-Dec, best head to the hardcore spots, like Val Thorens, Tignes, or Cervinia.
snow report
@Whitegold, Yeah, they do it to save costs and covid didn’t really help with how badly the Italians got hit unfortunately

I think we are just going to stick with Montgenevre, which will hopefully be fully open

I have never been to Val Thorens or Tignes, as its always further and more complicated from Malta, but they are definitely top of my list !

Cervinia, together with Zermatt is great, wasn’t suitable for this trip as nice accommodation is rather scarce and quite expensive. When going without family, i can just stay at the cheap ski in ski out accommodation at Cielo Alto which is more than enough for me Very Happy

@snowymum, is it relatively easy to get a ski taxis in Montgenevre ? If so would definitely hop over to Claviere once or twice and I also really wanted to scout SC for future trips once I’m up there. Even if just for a day..
snow report
Snow can are the main airport transfer company from Turin airport and on non transfer days I believe they can do shuttles between the via lattea resorts and Serre Chevalier. Definitely worth asking them…
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow cab…
snow report
Yeah they are partners with the Hotel we are staying at (Le Chalet Blanc), not using them for the airport transfer as got a better price on my own though Cool

Ok nice one, thought as much, and shouldn’t be too many airport transfers during the week + pre season, awesome Very Happy
ski holidays
Ooh, we stayed at le Chalet Blanc in March, it’s lovely!
ski holidays
Super !!
snow report
@Jimbo94, I took a taxi from a hotel in claviere to Montgenevre once but I’m afraid I can’t remember the company name.

Chalet Blanc is well located for ski to the door but you’d probably need to take your 2 year old on the regular ski bus to the ESF crèche in the resort centre and back.

The advantage of not having the whole monts de lune open is that the lift pass will be cheaper. You also get a free half day starting the day before your six day pass. (At least that was the case when we last went) So if you arrive and can get organised by lunchtime on arrival day you can ski that afternoon
snow report
@snowymum, Hmm yeah, or his grandparents will take him, it didn’t seem that far on the map, is it too far to walk ? Obviously just not making the most of ski in ski out anyway, but thought it was only a 10 min walk Puzzled

Yeah we arrive at 11 so will definitely ski the first day Smile
snow conditions
Jimbo94 wrote:
@snowymum, Hmm yeah, or his grandparents will take him, it didn’t seem that far on the map, is it too far to walk ? Obviously just not making the most of ski in ski out anyway, but thought it was only a 10 min walk Puzzled

Yeah we arrive at 11 so will definitely ski the first day Smile

I would rather pay more and have more open NehNeh
snow conditions
@Jimbo94, it is an easy ten minute walk in snow boots. Would be longer if you were wearing ski boots and carrying two pairs of skis!
ski holidays
@snowymum, hahaha ok we’ll see then

Definitely will take him ourselves on the first day, but then his grandparents can take him perhaps Smile Otherwise does the bus stop in front of the hotel in the morning ? i assume so ?
latest report
Got more lovely info this morning

Chalvet side will also be closed (Since it's south facing), and Claviere will only have 2 lifts open, so not worth going there. On the plus side there is in fact a bus to Briancon and Serre Chevalier
snow report
Yes the bus stop is very close to your hotel from what I remember. You will need to get it in the afternoon back to your accommodation or walk in ski boots if the chalvet side is shut. In the morning you will probably be able to ski down to the tremplin lift.

Glad there is a bus to serre chevalier. Is that something special they are putting on for that week or all season? I only remember the resalp coach doing that route but that was more of a transfer coach to take people to and from train stations.

I’m guessing the partial opening is due to the anticipated low numbers rather than likely snow conditions. I expect it will be the same situation in a lot of resorts other than the most well known ski areas.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy