Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monterosa vs Via Lattea December 2023

Poster: A snowHead
@Jimbo94, you mention your parents are non skiers - La Thuile is also good for days exploring, bus direct to Pre St Didier and Courmayeur, both lovely, and La Thuile itself isn't horrible (nicer than Sestriere anyway in looks IMV)

I'd not ditch La Thuile for your needs, all you're missing is a few KMs. snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name,

Hotel Alpine Forest, guess the comment was not very accurate then Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ElzP, La Thuile back on the cards then ! I have until December 8th with free cancellation, but obviously once we decide we will then book flights etc and finalise

So La Thuile has a ski bus to Courmayeur ? Ideally I wanted to find an area where not too much transferring was involved, and was all piste linked, as it's easier to go out and get back, but if La Thuile ski area has 143Km and then if I really want it's easy to get to Courmayeur it seems quite a good option after all

At the end of the day, I am going to need to visit all the smaller ski areas anyway, since they are all well talked about and must be lovely. So although I prefer, where possible, more kms, this could be one of the times I just decide to visit a smaller resort, and its good timing as will be with the family
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jimbo94 wrote:
@JayRo, I can understand what you are saying. But honestly if you haven’t tried the Dolomiti SuperSki out and the Sella Ronda etc, the feeling of travelling over such great distances and breathtaking varied landscapes and runs (almost none of which are tedious) is unmatched imo, and whenever you want you can repeat a run if you’ve really enjoyed it

I hear that, and no, I've not yet been to the Dolomites: I'm planning on it, hopefully when my partner catches the skiing bug and gets to the level where a trip there together would be enjoyable. My experience of big, interlinked areas is limited to the 3V and the area formerly known as the Espace Killy: I've had some great days in both (the Vallée des Avals from ValTho is a lovely morning's skiing, with plenty of interesting options on the way back). But I've also had some fantastic experiences in much, much smaller areas: I've happily spent fortnights with not much more than 30km of pistes without getting bored. I guess for me the sense of travel is something I'll happily appreciate (and the experience of crossing the three valleys of the Monterosa certainly gives it), but not a must.

Quote:
What’s also nice is spending less time on lifts, which is not always the case everywhere. I absolutely hate spending 5mins on a lift to then go down the slope in less than 2 minutes, hardly seems worth it. From what I understand although the km of pistes are limited in Monterosa, the length of them at least gives a good feeling of travel Smile

Yeah, definitely. It's two lifts to get up from Alagna (at about 1200 m) to the Passo dei Salati to cross to G-l-T, for example: but those two lifts give you a descent of 1,800 vertical metres. There's a lot of skiing!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jimbo94, thanks for clarifying. I can see that coming from Malta you are limited in where is easy to get to.

While I am not the person to advise on Austrian resorts, it is the case that some are quite readily accessible from Munich, and that some have good early snow records. I hope that there is an expert around who can advise whether anywhere combines both qualities.

La Thuile does sound like a reasonable compromise. There is an interesting selection of local runs, which you could combine with meeting the junior members of the party (and the adults on duty) for lunch; the trip over to La Rosiere is a nice adventure though I am not sure which of the runs on that side would be open so early and the link does get closed with high winds or low visibility. Plus I can confirm there is a bus which runs from La Thuile town (so below the ski accommodation) to Courmayeur. It is a regular local bus, but takes skiers (you need to put the skis in the luggage compartment) and like other Italian buses you need to buy your ticket before boarding from a nearby booth. So there will be a bit of carrying your skis both to catch the bus in the first place and to head for the cable car at the Courmayeur end. Courmayeur is quite a small area but in good weather has spectacular views, well worth a day.

Sadly I don't think there is a bus direct without changing to Aosta, from which there is direct cable car access to Pila, or that could be another option; I think the La Thuile ski pass would cover you for day in Pila as well as Courmayeur. (And before confirming your stay it would be worth checking the published opening dates of La Rosiere and Courmayeur if they are crucial to your plans).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@j b, Thanks for all that, I didn't really find good accommodation in La Thuile so I'm still on the lookout for something better over there or in another resort

Austria is usually great for early season because they have higher base elevations, Arlberg region would be great for example, the issue is that we would have to fly to Zurich and flights would be double or even triple the price. So for now I am going to try and exhaust the easier resorts, and if it seems like it's not going to work, then I'll have a look at Austrian options

We actually have quite a nice place booked in Alagna (Alagna Mountain resort & Spa), but I was a bit hesitant for 2 reasons

1. Wold, which is the baby park in Alagna only opens after we leave and I don't think there is anywhere else for my 2 year old to step on the snow in skis or get used to the feeling :/
2. The base elevation of the village is lower than Champoluc/Gressoney etc so less likely to have snow (Although its only 300-500metres difference)

Perhaps somebody who is accustomed to the area can suggest if maybe there are ways around these thing/other options
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jimbo94, https://www.lathuile.it/en/around_la_thuile.html

Link to the page with the winter bus timetable. TBF I haven't looked for your dates!

The two areas are so different and it's definitely worth skiing both if you're down that end. It's a nice neck of the woods in general, and there's a therme in Pre St Didier if anyone likes that kinda thing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jimbo94,
Quote:

its only 300-500metres

Shocked it's quite difference enough.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@JayRo, yeah, maybe you're right about Frachey to Alagna being easily manageable in 3 hours. I was thinking that you'd be looking at at least an hour each way on lifts alone, but maybe that was an overestimate as they're mostly fast lifts. There is a reasonable amount of unavoidable "faff" still - waiting for the Frachey funicular in both directions, waiting for the cable car back from the Alagna side, and the walk across the car park at Stafal on the way back.

@Jimbo94, keep searching within La Thuile - it does sound like a reasonable fit for all / most of your requirements. Or stay in Aosta which would really please your parents, with direct gondola up to Pila to ski, even if the ski area is quite small. Alagna doesn't strike me as being at all suitable.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@denfinella, actually it's 6 lifts on the way back. Alagna bubble, cable car, chairlift, cable car out of Stafal, chairlift and Frachey funicular.

@Jimbo94, so just exactly who is in your party?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, Yes ! elevation makes all the difference in these climate challenged times, we went to Selva in February this year, and our choice to stay in Plan De Gralba at 1,800m instead of in Selva town was the difference between being surrounded by snow fields and ski to door access, vs the town being all brown Shocked

@denfinella, Don't think Alagna would be good for my dad ? It's a nice old town I thought, and he loves nature and walking so would be able to hike around anywhere I guess, that being said I will keep La Thuile on the cards as it does sound like a good option

@under a new name Our party is

Me and my partner, our 2 kids - 2 years old and 6 years old (Been skiing twice)
My brother - Confident enough to do all reds and most blacks
My father in law - Grew up with skis on his feet, so will be comfortable anywhere
My parents - Who don't ski, but dont care about shopping and more about nature and spending time with the kids Smile

Our current lodging in Frachey is only 250m away from the Funicular, so if I can get over the fact that there is no end of day valley run, perhaps we can still just stay there and not have to worry about anything anymore Madeye-Smiley

I am also trying to get some quotes from hotels in Champoluc main town, since you mentioned the Crest area being good for the kids. If not I guess we could just take the 10min bus to the kids park in Antagnod for my 2 year old on some of the days. Our 6 year old has skiied some easy reds already, and I think after a few more days of ski school everyday should be quite comfortable on all except blacks Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, yes - was just referring to the cable cars and funiculars as they are the faffy ones. (Though forgot about the Stafal cable car.)
@Jimbo94, I don't think Alagna really sounds suitable for any of you! For your parents - nature and hiking are fine if the weather's OK. Not so good if it's raining in the valley / misty / windy... which is certainly more than possible at that time of year. It's also a long, isolated valley, so difficult to make day trips elsewhere (unlike Aosta / La Thuile / Courmayeur etc.). For you - you're at the "thin" end of the ski area, with the densest networks of pistes in the other valleys, some distance away. And you've mentioned the issue about Wold being closed already.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@denfinella, and you are quite distanced from the Aosta valley which doesn’t help.

@Jimbo94, frankly I think you’d be better off in Champoluc if it’s Monterosa. The hotel near Frachey is a good 20 mins walk.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@denfinella, Ok so then Alagna is out, very valuable information, thank you !

What about Champoluc vs Gressoney ? From the map it seems there are kids areas in Gressoney too, and even up in Stafal. And being in the middle means we it's easier to go out and come back rather than having to travel from one side to the other

I hope that there will be snow there, if you think it's a bit of a risk might be better to pick another more snow sure resort altogether Crying or Very sad

Do you think La Thuile may be more snow sure or has a better snow record for December than Monterosa ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jimbo94, I'm not sure there's a lot going on in the Gressoneys. But have no real idea. I think this is taking you far too much energy! Just pull a trigger. Any trigger. No-where is snow "sure" that week.

You do also realise that the 15th is a Friday and that there's a bit of a general return to Saturday-Saturday bookings?
ski holidays
@under a new name, not sure I understand that entirely, but I was thinking better Saturday to Saturday rather than Friday to Friday, because we have the changeover day on a weekend which is busier, and get more skiing in the week when its quieter

That being said I know that Saturday can be quiet as it’s a changeover day, do you think Friday to Friday would be better ?
ski holidays
So !

Currently I haven’t been able to find the ideal accommodation in Champoluc. I have some perfect accommodation in Staffal - Comfortable, well priced and close to the lifts. For evenings we can take the bus down to Gressoney where I’ve been told there is more life, a xmas market etc. And there is the Sant Anna beginners area up the side to Champoluc and the beginners area on the other side up to Gabiet (For the kids). That being said, i think overall it may be a little bit dead, plus maybe not the BEST place for a 6 year old, with the layout of the valley and some of the difficult runs to get back into town and the wind challenged connections to the other valleys

Other option is La Thuile, which looks really nice and I am strongly considering. We could stay in a Hotel in the centre and I assume there would be more going on there, but that’s what I wanted to check with you. Plus the kids area is at the foot of the Gondola so very convenient and bonus that I believe there is actually more skiing there. (Also more tree skiing from what I’ve seen)

Snow quality and sureness I guess would be equal for both - Staffal maybe better as acccommodation is at 1,800m
ski holidays
@Jimbo94, no. You said from the 15th, which is a Friday. I'm just saying that Sat 16th probably works better.
ski holidays
@under a new name, Oh super, yes as originally we were going to do Fri to Fri, but we've switched to Sat-Sat Smile
latest report
@Jimbo94, just to wipe out champoluc completely, the 6 year old might find the must-do connection over to the rest of the ski area - 'the Goat' - a bit of a challenge, and you'd end up bussing to Frachey anyway.

Not sure what goes on in La Thuile, we were there for the odd day so just had after ski drinks, but with La Thuile as opposed to one of the Monterosa villages, it's easy to go elsewhere if you fancy a change.
latest report
If your only two options were La Thuile and Stafal, for your requirements I'd definitely go for La Thuile.
latest report
@Jimbo94, regarding Champoluc have you looked at Esprit - they have some great deals in Hotel De Champoluc, also with ski school and childcare - we went last December and had a great time, and it was quite cheap too. Regarding the Goat , if you child can do easy reds , he will probably be able to do it after a day or two. Last year my 8 yr old was ok with it and he is a blue/easy red skier… For your parents there are quite a few walking routes, and a picturesque little forest.. regarding La Thuile, haven’t been yet but planning this Christmas, looking at Planibel hotel/apartments - any good for you?
latest report
@Bella2015, Yeah I’m not from the UK, so don’t usually get any of the UK travel inclusive packages, that being said, I could talk to Esprit, may be worth a shot, Champoluc does seem like the most kid friendly if visiting Monterosa, Gressoney has good access to kids areas and slopes, but tough runs to get back home for our 6 year old I think. Planibel was one of the ones i looked at yes Smile Will see, just waiting for some more quotes and will decide, thanks for the tips !
snow report
@Jimbo94, l am not sure but l think you can book with Esprit but independent travel or even directly with the hotel… we did have a lovely time there and all the kids of different ages seemed to enjoy. Of course we got super lucky with the weather… Previously we also went to Cervinia and Pila with kids and enjoyed these too
snow conditions
@Bella2015, Yes probably should be able to Smile We’ve been to MDC in Trentino and SkiWelt in Austria which is brilliant, but quite low base elevations so there isn’t always a lot of snow unfortunately. If we go to La Thuile we will do Courmayeur aswell since it is so close Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

then probably it was La Thuile where I read that it was close to Chamonix, my bad

As the mountain buzzard soars. But still through a slow and expensive Mont Blanc tunnel.

Don't expect too much of your 2 year old. Though if they're nearer 3 than 2, and anything like as good on a scooter as my youngest grandchild, you might be lucky. She was almost 3, and a demon on a scooter, when we were in Les Saisies in April and insisted on having a go at skiing. They rented proper skis for her and she loved it, but it needed a competent adult (good skier and physically strong) with her all the time. Sometimes two. She just wanted to go straight downhill. That's the easy bit. Getting her back UP the hill was an aerobic challenge. But at least she had a free ski pass! Her mother, a very good skier who grew up in the south of France did little else - father was looking after the 5 and 8 year old.

She also adored sitting in the snow (it was first week of April and we had better snow than there'd been for many weeks) just playing. Her tolerance for getting cold and wet was remarkable, but some 2 year olds will be grizzling after ten minutes.
latest report
@pam w, My 2 year old is a boy and he will just turn 2 next week Smile But he has been running and jumping since 10 months old, and he is a menace on his scooter Smile We are not expecting much, just to go to a gentle beginner area and have him move on skis will be more than enough, and he will enjoy just walking around and jumping anyway Laughing Rest of the time he will either be with his nonskiing grandparents or a babysitter Smile

Our 6 year old will be in Ski School for the mornings and then we will just ski around blues and easy reds probably

If we pick Staffal as an option, there is the area at Sant Anna with the Tapis Roulade that should be perfect for him

Champoluc i guess has the crest area which would also be good, or we could just get the ski bus in the morning down to Antagnod

There is a perfect baby park at the lifts in La Thuile, but it opens on 26/12 after we leave Crying or Very sad Am trying to call the tourist office to ask if the date shown is accurate, hopefully not !

I am a fairly confident skiier (Still haven’t perfected the 360 spin around though) and physically strong enough (Skiied down quite a few runs last winter carrying a tired 5year old in full gear Laughing , but my wife’s dad is French from Grenoble and skiis backwards etc so perfect for teaching, and he is strong enough too Smile
snow conditions
denfinella wrote:
@Jimbo94, I might have misunderstood your post, but hopefully you're not under the impression that Monterosa has 180km of slopes. The linked area spanning the three valleys has about 70km. Slightly bigger than Pila, but only by a bit (though Monterosa has a much better sense of travel).

The ski area is great, but you can easily ski all the runs in two days. There are some other small areas on the lift pass but they are not linked by lift (and some of if them are a very long drive away).

I think you meant to write the rest of the linked area is 700km of runs, not 70km. Its a big area. Mind you, the link back to Monterosa is at only one place (though you can also ski over into the Italian side from directly above the village, but not get back that way. I have been to Monterosa many times and still not skied some parts of the whole Via Lattea.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 3-11-23 15:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Montgenevre would match your requirements. Not far from Turin airport, family orientated, good ski school, ESF creche if needed, good snow record and tree lined skiing. It regularly opens in early December so would be a better bet than the rest of the via lattea.

La Thuile has an excellent snow record but can be very cold and windswept early season.
snow report
@snowball, Hold on Hold on, what are you talking about ? Haha

Denfinella was saying that the 3 valleys of Monterosa are 70Km, and actually from what I've looked up, Champoluc seems to be 70Km on it's own, so I would say it's maybe 130Km including Gressoney and Alagna, the rest of the 50Km are Antagnod and some of the other satellites perhaps

Also when you say link to Monterosa and mention Via Lattea, I assume you may be confusing Monterosa with Montgenevre ?

@snowymum, Montgenevre does sound like a good option, for the reasons you've mentioned, I will look into it

@snowymum, Excellent snow record sounds great, Cold and windswept does not sound ideal for the kids, but will check it out myself sooner or later, especially since it's so close to Courmayeur and can visit there too Smile Another thing that sucks is the Thuilly kids park which is perfectly situated at the lifts will be closed when we are there

So far it's looking like Champoluc as we've since finally found a decent hotel there, I was just wondering if there may be better resorts for our 6 year old (Bit more blues, as Champoluc seems to have hardly any - even though there are more on the Gressoney side, the run into Staffal might be a bit much for her, though I haven't seen it yet so can't say) + the baby park at Antagnod is closed on our dates (Except the 2 Weekend days when we arrive), except for the area at Crest thankfully.

That being said Champoluc is a popular destination for families, so the slopes can't be that bad, and will just mean she needs to get used to skiing at a higher level faster Cool
ski holidays
@Jimbo94, in Champoluc lots of red are more like blues really . Lots of kids there so your little should be ok
ski holidays
@Bella2015, Yeah thats what I was thinking, thanks Smile
latest report
@snowball, @Jimbo94, no, I did mean that the 3 Valleys (Champoluc, Gressoney, Alagna) have 70km of pistes in total.

That's for the linked ski area, so excludes places like Antagnod which are a bus ride away. The official stats (which claim 200km) include a whole load of other areas which are part of the ski pass but widely scattered across the region, from Champorcher to Scopello, which are hours apart by car.

I think @snowball was indeed referring to Via Lattea though, which has something like 240km of pistes (so nothing like the 400km claimed, but still a big area).
snow report
Sorry, sorry, at one point I saw (and copied) the name Monterosa and read it as Montgenevre. My fault. The two names in the question too similar. A senior moment. Embarassed
I am not used to the Alagna, Gressoney, Champoluc being referred to as Monterosa (the area around the peak being a heli destination outside the ski area of several resorts). When I first skied the area, Alagna was only off piste, so having any pistes is fairly new. The valleys are off-piste heaven when there is good snow (which there often isn't)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 4-11-23 14:02; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
@Jimbo94,
Quote:

finally found a decent hotel

Which one?
snow report
@denfinella, Oh :/ I thought when I looked it up it said that Champoluc on its own was only 70Km

Also have read since that Monterosa has a relatively dry climate, so am still considering La Thuile and Montgenevre as both seem to have a better snow history, and so early in the season that is my biggest concern. I know its greedy and you can never predict, but I would like best chances of having snow in the town Very Happy

@under a new name, Got nothing confirmed yet, so gna be a prude and not say anything till I do, since if someone else fancies a trip on the same dates and comes across this thread and books them, I will pull all my hair out Laughing

Once everything is safely confirmed i’ll let you know though Smile
snow conditions
@under a new name, assuming you were only asking so you could give me kindly advice, so thanks anyway Smile
latest report
@Jimbo94, or just being nosy haha
latest report
@under a new name, Laughing
snow report
Ok, so now it's been narrowed down to

Monterosa Area
Champoluc (More going on in the town, easier for babysitting) or
Staffal (Better for elevation + Cheaper and nicer accommodation + Better access to the pistes on both sides)

La Thuile - (Great because close to Courmayeur and can ski there too + Has a better snow history than Monterosa for that time of year)

Montgenvre (On the cards now, since @snowymum suggested it Smile) - Largest extent of Slopes + High Elevation + Good Snow History and I've just looked up the Creche over there and it looks great

Not sure how easy it is to find a Babysitter in La Thuile, I had asked the tourist office and they didn't have a list as tourist offices normally do, so seems it may be a bit more of an issue

Montgenevre and Staffal are the only accommodations above 1,800 metres which I would say practically guarantees snow at that time of year even if there's not much Laughing

We actually have some great deals in Zell am See too, but the town there is at a measly 750m and don't think that is wise at all given the unpredictability of snow that time of year Shocked

So far I've only found self-catering at a decent price in Montgenevre, otherwise I guess that would be the clear winner, I have very decent places in La Thuile and Monterosa
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy