Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel centre or Courchevel 1650 for Feb half term?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We will be taking two teenage boys (son and friend) aged 16/17 who want some nightlife. They are good skiers.

We are looking at an apartment and have found a few options in both locations.

I’m happy on blues and wide non icey reds. My husband is happy on most except steep icey blacks.

We will eat out a fair bit and love a characterful lunch/hot chocolate stop.

So what’s best? Any input would be much appreciated. We have skied the area before but when the kids were little so don’t know the après very well.

Thanks very much for any help/input. (And yes it’s the only week we can do unfortunately!)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's actually very little between those two and you could make an argument for either. Meribel is better for ski access to the whole three valleys but C1650 has better cruising blues on the doorstep. I'd definitely expect C1650 to be quieter on the slopes in February because it's at one end of the 3Vs whereas Meribel is the main intersection.

Nightlife is also pretty similar except Meribel has a couple of full on 4am nightclubs but only you will know if that's relevant to 16/17 yr olds. You'll find good apres bars and live music on pretty much every night in both of them. C1650 might be cheaper for beer but not by much. Both have a strong seasonaire contingent as well as tourists.

It might actually come down to the exact apartment location. C1650 is generally flat and all the main action is on the main street. The majority of accommodation is along that street or just off it but there are also some newer blocks lower down. They're linked by a free pedestrian lift though so still no issue.

Meribel Centre by contrast is often a broad definition of area. If you are genuinely in the centre (which means walking distance of the escalator by the tourist office in my book) then it's fantastic. But only a relatively small percentage of apartment blocks are genuinely in walking distance of the centre pubs and the escalator, the rest are a ski bus ride away because they're at a different altitude. So it really depends on the exact apartment block.

This also affects the ski-in/out access of the two. You wouldn't expect to take a bus in C1650 to ski but you may have no choice in Meribel "Centre" if you're not in easy walking distance of either the escalator or the Chaudanne. The higher altitude blocks usually do have a (not always obvious) walkable ski access but you'll be on a bus if you want to go partying in town.

I know both extremely well, if you want to share the apartment blocks/locations you're looking at, I could tell you exactly what the ski-in/out and bar access is.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks very much jesuis - that’s really helpful.

Meribel accommodation is near the Morel lift.

Courchevel accommodation is either in Petit Moriond (a private chalet with only 3 apartments) or the other one is Residence Keystone (also Petit Moriond I think).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Petit Moriond area of C1650 is the lower section that's linked to the centre by a public escalator. I think the escalator also goes the other way to get close to Aquamotion if that's of interest although the ski bus stops right outside anyway. The escalator is right next to Keystone Lodge so that's an excellent location, very convenient both for skiing and nightlife. The escalators to the ski lifts are opposite the top and all the main bars and restaurants are within 200m either way of that public escalator; it's right in the centre. Those lodges look beautiful and have a great reputation so that's definitely a solid option.

The Morel area of Meribel is at 1,550m whereas the real centre with all the bars is at 1,450m. It's bus ride or a walk down the hill for the real Meribel experience. Depending on exactly where your apartment is that walk could be 600m or 1km. There are a couple of bars/restaurants and a supermarket in the Morel line of shops but it's generally quiet. The Morel lift itself is a doggy old fixed 3 man. It's actually not a bad option in February - there are no ski school meeting points or anything anywhere near it so you may find it much easier to get out in the morning than down at the Chaudanne as it takes you straight to the Altiport area from where you can easily go to Village, Meribel or La Tania. You should also be able to ski back to it no problem in February.

I'm not sure there are any apartment blocks the quality of Keystone in Morel - most of them are much older buildings. There was a new place being built in the summer of 2021 when I was there though so maybe that one is and that's where you're staying? The Meribel equivalent of Keystone would be the P&V L'Hevana building IMO both for quality and access to skiing and nightlife.

I suppose the only other consideration is if on-hill apres is desirable. For that, Meribel wins over C1650 with both the Folie Douce and the Rond Point but they will be chaos in February Laughing

Of the choices and parameters you've given, I think I'd go to Keystone in C1650. If P&V L'Hevana was an option, that would win. Be aware that there is only one real lift out in the morning from C1650 but it was upgraded a few years ago to a fast walk on gondola so it's nothing like the bottleneck it used to be. Just make sure you're out before the ski schools start taking priority.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Je suis un Skieur,

Thanks, you’re an absolute star. Slightly cheeky of me but I’ve direct messaged you the actual property in Meribel - would you mind taking a look? Thanks again!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@RosieL, no problem, I've sent you a reply.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy