Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Top 50 runs

Poster: A snowHead
Telegraph has put together the top 50 ski runs.
Don’t know what metric has been used to create this list, or how many were asked…so I throw it over to the snowheads to discuss!

I’ve only done 8 of the top 30. Best get booking some more holidays!

Linky link
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No idea how the list was compiled or what the crieria were applied, but the North face of the Bellecote is off piste and I guess has had relatively few skis compared to say le face.

All these things are subjective but some of my most remembered runs are on the list.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm at 14, maybe 16. Not sure of some of the piste names, but have skied the resort. Madeye-Smiley If they're calling Lagazuoi to Armentarola 'The Hidden Valley, Cortina', then that is the tops for me. Utterly breathtaking.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've done 12 of the 34 European picks, and they are all nice runs, although not sure they all deserve to be in the top 50 worldwide. It is very much a Brit-orientated list: France and the "mega-resorts" are over-represented, the Spanish / French Pyrenees are omitted entirely, and so is the rest of the world beyond the Alps and North America. There's also too big a focus on steep runs - most skiers' favourite pistes are of blue or red gradient.

Courchevel somehow gets three spots - Chapelets, Rochers and Combe de Saulire are all nice but are they really top 50 material? Grand Couloir - mmm maybe.

Jerusalem above St Martin is a nice run, but I'm pretty sure that if it had a more generic name (like Ecureuils or something) it wouldn't have become so popular.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 27-10-23 13:46; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, Le Grand Couloir is not exactly the place for a slightly nervous intermediate, nor Tortin. Which can be draining if at it's most bombed out.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 27-10-23 13:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Non paywalled version = https://archive.ph/gZSWi

Edited with updated link

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 27-10-23 16:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Le Grand Couloir, like most couloirs is incredibly condition dependent. When it is chopped up moguls I can't see why anyone would want to ski it other than tick a box. The access track to the start can also be extremely perilous depending on who is coming behind you! It also invariably attracts the crowd for which the piste is slightly beyond their comfort zone, so they can brag about skiing it later at the bar, even though they fell on their back bottom every 5m.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sheffskibod wrote:
Non paywalled version = https://archive.ph/9DzBU

Thanks, form that over half way, so some more to do yet Madeye-Smiley

Nice to see Beer Belly on there, as its fun Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stockhorn in Zermatt has been closed for the last 5 years or so. And is unlikely to reopen anytime soon...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NoMapNoCompass, Completely agree. Likewise, Tortin has the ability to blow my 50+ legs and ruin the rest of the day. Bragging rights are a strong motivator for some. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's a pretty pointless list, the valley blanche is not a top powder run, and the difference between Corbet's couloir and the Harakiri so great that they need to be in different categories, likewise the back of the Valluga and La Face de Bellevarde
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rambotion wrote:
It's a pretty pointless list, the valley blanche is not a top powder run, and the difference between Corbet's couloir and the Harakiri so great that they need to be in different categories, likewise the back of the Valluga and La Face de Bellevarde

Agreed, I don't think the person compiling the list skis much. I would put Corberts and Harkiri in the same catogory a long time before putting either in the same as Pas de Chevre or Malfatta, both of these in their current condition due to climate change are very much at the extreme end of skiing, whilst the rest of them you can get away with a hip check to bum slide.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree that it's quite a weird list. Not awful, but probably not the list most skiers would make.

Blue sky basin at Vail is not really a run, but an entire area with 3 lifts.

Dave Murray downhill wouldn't be in my top 10 runs at whistler. While you can "go fast" on it, from what I remember there's quite an awkward section between the upper and lower halfs involving a pretty tight turn into a relatively narrow busy cat track that kind of kills the flow. For whistler groomers peak to creek is probably the most iconic. Personally I'd go for one of the blues off seventh heaven.

Some nice glades in curry bowl at fernie (bootleg and annaconda are personal favourite). But probably a little too short to be considered best tree skiing in the world.

Similarly beer belly at red is fine, but wouldn't be my choice for best tree skiing there.

Surprised lake Louise didn't make the list. Definitely one of the more scenic places. Delirium dive probably fits the "steep" and "scary" categories.

Other "steep" and "scary" - arapahoe basin and squaw both have options. Although grand Couloir at big sky feels like one of the worse omissions.

Mary Jane at winter park is generally considered as pretty epic mogul skiing but doesn't make the list.

I'd consider putting Dutch wallet at kicking horse in. While it's not the best skiing there, it's somewhere I always take people if I'm showing them around. The pretty hidden rope rappel into a steep tight chute tends to be their most memorable run of the day. (Although you can argue memorable doesn't necessarily mean best).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
denfinella wrote:
I've done 12 of the 34 European picks, and they are all nice runs, although not sure they all deserve to be in the top 50 worldwide. It is very much a Brit-orientated list: France and the "mega-resorts" are over-represented, the Spanish / French Pyrenees are omitted entirely, and so is the rest of the world beyond the Alps and North America. There's also too big a focus on steep runs - most skiers' favourite pistes are of blue or red gradient.

Courchevel somehow gets three spots - Chapelets, Rochers and Combe de Saulire are all nice but are they really top 50 material? Grand Couloir - mmm maybe.

Jerusalem above St Martin is a nice run, but I'm pretty sure that if it had a more generic name (like Ecureuils or something) it wouldn't have become so popular.

Gran Couloir isn't all that, appeals more to people who want to say they've done it than actually being particularly special. If you're that good then you're better off doing the petit Couloir or something that's actually off piste.

Saulire is worthy of the top 50 but chaplets and Rochers not so much. I think Folyeres is well worth the top 50 and also Creux.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd add Peak to Creek in Whistler to this list, although I think the DM is the lower section. Absolutely fantastic skiing
ski holidays
sheffskibod wrote:

That archive doesn't seem to have the list of 50 runs that featured in the original article.
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
I'm at 14, maybe 16. Not sure of some of the piste names, but have skied the resort. Madeye-Smiley If they're calling Lagazuoi to Armentarola 'The Hidden Valley, Cortina', then that is the tops for me. Utterly breathtaking.

Very much agree. Certainly ticks many boxes. Stunning scenery, wide open pistes, decent pit stop mid way and a unique finish being towed by horses.

I’d also throw Saslong in as my favourite I’ve ever skiied. Just an awesome run.
latest report
@Idris, not having been there for 15 years or so, I couldn’t believe how big the drop from the Pas de Chèvre onto the Mer de Glace has got. Looks like a proper mountaineering outing rather than a ski run!
snow conditions
Click Bait rubbish
ski holidays
junk journalism......
latest report
I think it's perhaps not intended to be taken too seriously. They pick the cat track at Revelstoke for example, that's not really what most people are likely to be there to ride. And the race course at Whistler isn't a choice most would make.

27 of them. I must be old. I rode Zermatt's Trifji in waist deep snow when it was actually a piste.
The best bit was the access lift plus the fact it was waist deep, which I suspect it mostly wasn't.

To me, it's more about the conditions when I was there, and maybe who I was with and all that.
Delirium Dive would be on my list because it just looks so awesome, although I've not ridden it.

Thanks for the non paywalled version https://archive.ph/9DzBU
ski holidays
@Ryunis, yes you're probably right about Grand Couloir. That's definitely why I did it, a good few years ago! But arguably it's "iconic" status means it deserves a place?

If you put Combe de Saulire, Creux and Folyeres in then Courchevel would take up ~10% of the European spaces which is surely a bit much.

Out of the entire 3 Valleys I'd probably go for something like Combe du Vallon, or Lac de la Chambre, or Frederic Covili from the top of La Masse to the valley. Creux is good when quiet, but gets very busy, probably even more so now it's a blue.
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
sheffskibod wrote:

That archive doesn't seem to have the list of 50 runs that featured in the original article.

Ugh I looked again and that snapshot was from 2022 which underpins I guess just how crap the telegraph is …

I updated the archive - try this one https://archive.ph/gZSWi
snow conditions
Rob Mackley wrote:
Click Bait rubbish

Very true, but it's gotten us chatting. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Fridge03 wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

Very much agree. Certainly ticks many boxes. Stunning scenery, wide open pistes, decent pit stop mid way and a unique finish being towed by horses.

I’d also throw Saslong in as my favourite I’ve ever skiied. Just an awesome run.

Now, I'm not with you on that one. I find Sasslong 'A' generally busy (Men's worldcup track, everyone has to ski it) and quite featureless imho. Sasslong 'B' on the otherhand, is beautiful, quiet and pretty exciting if skied fast. Madeye-Smiley Then you have La Longia which has everything including my favourite mountain hutte of all time. The Curona Hutte. Very Happy
latest report
Megeve as one on the list , Epaule.
It’s ok but I don’t think it would make my top 10 in the resort never mind top 50 in the world.
snow report
Good list.

They've ticked most of the big ones, such as Verbier and Chamonix.

A few missing, from Alaska, Japan, Chile, etc.
ski holidays
Is the flypaper on it? Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Corbet's is largely BS. It's for young guns and experienced locals. The rest of the time when the entry is filled in it's no big deal or else it's an ego over sense hail mary for many tourons.

Full disclosure I've looked in a couple of times and given it a hard pass which is easier the older you get.
ski holidays
The Hidden valley run, is it easily accessible from Corvara? For intermediates?
snow report
Corbet separates the good skiers from the cr*p ones.

Most riders wuss out and sidestep or slideslip past the vertical entry.

The funnest route is to huck it straight in or loopdaloop into the chute.

Only the best can do this.
snow report
The only time I went to Jackson the ski school were roping people into the top of Corbetts. Can't say I tried it.
Think I've done about 17 or 18 though I lose track of names.
Not quite sure how the Sella Ronda gets classified as a run.
Flypaper should definitely be on it. snowHead
snow report
What's Corbet's Couloir Very Happy Very Happy doing in there. That's not really a run and even if you call it a run, it's not very long. Hobacks would have been a much better call.

Jerusalem: Martin de Belleville, France is a good one.
snow conditions
Rob Mackley wrote:
Click Bait rubbish

Yep, there's only one 50 just list ask Cody.
snow conditions
surferrosa wrote:

Yes. From Corvara ski over to Armentarola then take the shuttle bus/taxi service that runs continuously from there (I think about 6 Euros per person) for the 20 minute journey to Passo Falzarego for the cable car up to the top of Lagazuoi.
snow report
No Niseko - Peak back to Annupuri well worthy...
snow conditions
Rob Mackley wrote:
Click Bait rubbish

+1
snow report
surferrosa wrote:

Yep, easy. You're starting from one valley closer than the Val Gardena valley. There's nothing tricky to catch an intermediate out. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Alastair Pink, @Mollerski, great! Counting down the days.. Very Happy
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Corbet's is largely BS. It's for young guns and experienced locals. The rest of the time when the entry is filled in it's no big deal or else it's an ego over sense hail mary for many tourons.

Full disclosure I've looked in a couple of times and given it a hard pass which is easier the older you get.

This is exactly right.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy