Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
It’s the perfect place for fair weather skiers. Lots of short sheltered easy skiing on well groomed pistes and every Refugio better than the last!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And on a beautiful day the lovely sunny terrace at Armentarola is a special treat.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
richb67 wrote:
@sean1967, well I'm not sure I'm the best person to comment, obviously we're all different. Ability wise I'm a decent intermediate, so will tackle anything, ski it on a good day and survive it on a bad one ! Wife is a good skier. We like resorts with a bit of life but not mad apres ski.

Cortina - never stayed in the town but i think we've skied 4 days there. it's beautiful, but honestly I think it's a bit over rated and my wife thinks it's a bit small. Not massive ski area and it's disjointed so you have to bus/drive between the main two areas, however but have never seen it really busy like the SR or HV.

Madonna - we've stayed there IIRC 4 times. We both have a soft spot for it so are no doubt biased. It's a nice town with a piazza unlike e.g. Corvara etc. we think the town better than any on the SR, good scenery (maybe not up to Cortina standard) slopes don't tend to be too busy but this year seemed busier than pre covid on some days. You can ski the whole area without needing a bus or car though there is one 15 min Gondola ride to get to Pinzolo. It does have the odd bottleneck but lifts have been updated in recent years so we didn't have any meaningful delays this year. There are multiple lifts from the town centre which we find useful. Ski area is similar in size to any one of the main SR resorts, it has a few some genuinely steep blacks, several of which I've looked at and never tackled (70+%), wife has skied them, maybe I'll try next year. But also some lovely more straightforward blacks and reds running down through trees. Also some nice end of days red runs into the town which IIRC don't get really cut up. My wife says the runs are shorted than many around the SR.

So if you're looking to ski miles and miles of different pistes then the SR is best but if you're after somewhere a more contained then we really like Madonna over Cortina.

@rich67, thanks for all the info. Hopefully the weather is cold and snowy for the next two weeks and I can go back to Selva or Santa Cristina. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi all. I have the opportunity to spend a week skiing in the Dolomiti Superski areas the week of 26 February. I see a chance of snow and rain forecast for the lower villages like Ortisei at the end of this week. Any reason the rain should deter me from making plans? Sounds like conditions are pretty good at present. Thanks in advance!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alchemist, should only be rain at the very bottom so can't see it making conditions worse overall.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fabulous day in the sunshine yesterday Between Corvara and Arabba. Shady slopes are perfectly crisp but those that have had the sun on them are slushy as expected, but everything is open and not busy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi folks, quick question for any Cortina experts. We're heading out there soon, staying to the east of the centre, up near the Al Camin restaurant. What's the qucikest way to get to 5 Torri and the Great War Tour? We have a car, would it be better to drive up to Passo Falzarego or quicker to use the lift network - I guess from Socrepes? I'd rather leave the car at the apartment but it looks like quite a trek to use the lifts to get there.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its only two quick chairs to get to the gondola up to 5Torri and it's a slow drive. Only thing is if you want to do the war tour clockwise it's another four or five lifts and 40 minutes or so to Laguzoi cable car.
If you just want to ski the 5Torri or do it anticlockwise you are in a good position from the top of the access gondola, probably doable clockwise but I'd make sure I got up for first lift.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers @T Bar, good info! Will leave the car at home and get up early Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are in Corvara this week and finding it a mixed bag. We have an amazing time for the first couple of hours in the day then it gets busy with 5+ minute queues at every lift and the snow deteriorating quickly in the warmth.

People say it is quiet here in comparison to France but thats not been our experience so maybe we are missing something. Can anyone suggest some confident building blue runs like those off the Maserai chair but without the 5-10 minute lift queues? Ideally north facing so the snow lasts a bit longer.

Also is there any other way back down to Corvara without using the blue 8. This seems a nightmare after lunch, particularly the part just after the Pralongia II lift: narrow slushy moguls crammed full of beginner skiers out of control or people going way to fast. Daughter got taken out by someone from above there today (was OK fortunately) and so the OH is not keen on that again. The only other option on the lift map seems to be to take the long run back to san cassiano and get the bus from there. However the piste map does seem a bit confusing.

On the plus side the scenery is absolutely stunning (must look incredible after a dump of snow) and the food on the mountain is excellent and very reasonably priced wherever we have been.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sah wrote:
Cheers @T Bar, good info! Will leave the car at home and get up early Smile

You will need to get the bus to Socrepes so check the timetable but they were reliable on our visit
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@SnowHounder, To avoid the bumpy section back to Corvara take the run via Arlara via Brai Fraida. If at the top of Pralongia you’ll need to drop down to San Cassiano first.

We found blues 14, 15 and 19 ok later in the day.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go down 14, 15 which leads on to 24 which joins up with 17 back to La Villa then get bus back to Corvara. Or get the gondola down from Piz La Ila to La Villa then bus back to Corvara.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or go down to campolongo over the road and up toward boe if your happy on reds.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@SnowHounder, I find openskimap.org easier to use.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the tips. We will try these today.
snow report
From top of Pralongia 2 - Blue 33, turn right Red 21A, Crep de Mont drag, Blue 35 then Red 1 (Boe) down to Corvara

Or take Blue 33 right to the bottom (which is a blast), or blue 34, La Vizza chair, Blue 30, and join the Sella Ronda on Costoratta anticlockwise to go down Boe again.

No need for the bus stuff

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Live-info/Cartina-sciistica/Val-Gardena

Or take long 9A or 9B down to San Cassiano and then Piz Sorega gondola up (can be busy, currently showing 90% which will mean queues as no lift will be 100%) and work your way back through the maze of blues to Blue 5

There is a weakness in the network you've sort of highlighted - how to get back to the mass of blues from Pralongia area. The bit just below bottom of Pralongia 2 is not the nicest

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 21-02-24 11:53; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Quote:

Also is there any other way back down to Corvara without using the blue 8.

Yes. that section is notorious, particularly when the snow is soft and it gets horribly cut up and lumpy.

As others have said, to avoid this, ski down to San Cassiano, it's a lovely long blue and north facing so usually doesn't get too cut up apart from the last 20 meters down to the lift and you can just snow plough it if you want to.

From there take the cabin up and then go along a bit and ski down on the right to the La Brancia chairlift. From the top of that ski down a little bit and take the Braia Fraida chair and from there you can ski down 5 into corvara.
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
From top of Pralongia 2 - Blue 33, turn right Red 21A, Crep de Mont drag, Blue 35 then Red 1 (Boe) down to Corvara

Or take Blue 33 right to the bottom (which is a blast), or blue 34, La Vizza chair, Blue 30, and join the Sella Ronda on Costoratta anticlockwise to go down Boe again.

1st option is an excellent shout and I thought that when I read this thread yesterday. 21A is a superb hidden run - be careful not to miss the turn though (its just where Utia Marmotta is) . Its a red but not too tricky and often very quiet.
Crep de munt drag is nice and peaceful (and the run down from it to the start of the drag is a lovely little tree lined run which you should do if you have time).
Crep de Munt hut is also lovely food with a spectacular view from the terrace.
None of this takes you too far out of your way.

The second option will take longer - the two man vizza chair is very slow ... and I would say the run (blue or red) down from there can be pretty tricky with some steep pitches.

The other option mentioned of going all the way back to San Cassiano seems a rather long diversion to me ...
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:

If OP wants to avoid bumps then maybe the bottom is Boe, after the blue joins the red, is best avoided!
ski holidays
richb67 wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

If OP wants to avoid bumps then maybe the bottom is Boe, after the blue joins the red, is best avoided!

Only other option to avoid reds is via 9a/9b to San Cassiano etc but involves just about the only significant queue I saw anywhere last March

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 21-02-24 13:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@sheffskibod, Not solving this issue, but 21B looping Pralongia 2 is also a nice run that's not used much - no snow cannon on it though so actually saw a couple of thin patches last March
latest report
buchanan101 wrote:
richb67 wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

Only other option to avoid reds is via 9a/9b to San Cassiano etc but involves just about the only significant queue I saw anywhere last March

San Cassiano bubble is becoming a significant bottleneck due to the popularity of the Hidden Valley (the only way back on to the main areas..)
latest report
richb67 wrote:
@SnowHounder, We found blues 14, 15 and 19 ok later in the day.

Thanks so much for this! We did the Hidden Valley in the morning (amazing, felt like we had the whole valley to ourselves). Then after lunch just looped these. Actual proper snow and not much queuing. We had a great time.
ski holidays
richb67 wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

It s not so much the bumps but the crowds of people combined with he bumps. If there was nobody on it then 8 would be fine for us. We did consider staying in a refugio until 5 and then coming down.

If the red is not as busy we will give this a go. Although I think we will go to Edelweis valley tomorrow afternoon as it should be cold enough to keep reasonable snow in the afternoon (based on potential drop in temperatures).
ski holidays
sheffskibod wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

1st option is an excellent shout and I thought that when I read this thread yesterday. 21A is a superb hidden run - be careful not to miss the turn though (its just where Utia Marmotta is) . Its a red but not too tricky and often very quiet.
Crep de munt drag is nice and peaceful (and the run down from it to the start of the drag is a lovely little tree lined run which you should do if you have time).
Crep de Munt hut is also lovely food with a spectacular view from the terrace.
None of this takes you too far out of your way.

This sounds good, thanks - we will check it out in the morning.
ski holidays
@SnowHounder, yes, I understand fully re the crowds. Take a look at the Boe red earlier in the day, it's the narrow section that has an awkard angle just before Corvara, unfortunately is also busy because it's on the SR. If you're mainly blues the blue called something like "Boe alternative" is nice, through the trees and normally quiet.
snow conditions
@peterhughes88, Hi. Thinking of booking your hotel for next year. Does their afternoon snack offering include cakes? Asking for my son! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stellaps wrote:
@peterhughes88, Hi. Thinking of booking your hotel for next year. Does their afternoon snack offering include cakes? Asking for my son! snowHead

Yes!
ski holidays
GEFS is showing a huge precipitation spike for the Dolomites on Friday. The pressure chart shows the depression moving right through the south eastern alps.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/maps-and-charts/surface-pressure/

Temperatures look cool enough for snow at most levels. Might be a bit of short term disruption perhaps but I guess the snow won’t do too much harm snowHead

The outlook is more unsettled than the rest of the alps (and even the Uk) into March. Temperatures don’t look to get too cold but neither do they look too warm. No doubt the medium term will change.
snow report
@Peter S, I arrive in neighbouring Trento on Thursday night in advance of 10 days' skiing, so I hope not too much disruption! Laughing
snow report
Local avalanche service predicting 35-60 cm new snow above 1500-1700 m Thursday through Friday.
snow report
Very nice time is coming to Dolomites !

Snow (some rain but it is ok - it is almost March) and sun !!!

Snow(y) will last for a week or so starting this weekend ...
ski holidays
Very tempted by Alta Badia for w/c March 16th. Forecast looks very good indeed, but this would be our first trip. Corvara looks ideal as my wife likes gentle slopes. Anybody stayed in TH CORVARA GREIF HOTEL? I fancy a package, and this is the only hotel Crystal offer.
ski holidays
@denfinella, which resorts? I always enjoy your TRs after the fact, might watch this one live if you're doing it?
ski holidays
Quote:

Anybody stayed in TH CORVARA GREIF HOTEL?

You could try a search for the hotel Greif. It's mentioned in a few threads including this:

Quote:

Also stayed in Corvara a few miles away also on the SR. Hotel Greif, big rooms, decent restaurant, swimming pool/ sauna etc, 5 min trip in hotel minibuses to lifts. Much more going on there with shops, cafes etc. A pleasant place to stay and walk around when not skiing.

but also this:

Quote:

A word of warning re Corvara, I'd thoroughly recommend the village, and thoroughly NOT recommend the Hotel Greif. Only hotel in Italy I've stayed in where the menu is full of warnings that the food has previously been frozen.

The reviews on Tripadvisor and Google are actually pretty good.
ski holidays
Oh my days, oh my actual days.................. snowHead

Hopefully it doesn't all melt before 6th of March.

snow report
@8611, Folgaria, Paganella, Madonna di Campiglio among others (so not strictly Dollies, but not far away - there's no separate thread for the Brenta Dolomites). I'm a little bit apprehensive about our £3/day Goldcar rental vs. a metre of new snow Laughing
ski holidays
We are heading to Arabba on 2nd March. Looks like we had timed it perfectly Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Orwell wrote:
Very tempted by Alta Badia for w/c March 16th. Forecast looks very good indeed, but this would be our first trip. Corvara looks ideal as my wife likes gentle slopes. Anybody stayed in TH CORVARA GREIF HOTEL? I fancy a package, and this is the only hotel Crystal offer.

You can ski to the lovely blues in Corvara very easily from either Selva or Arabba (if that gives you more accommodation options).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy