Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
Great photos @JHS, What is the cream topped drink?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stellaps wrote:
Great photos @JHS, What is the cream topped drink?

That’s a Calimero
Basically advocaat with espresso coffee and cream on top. Drink through a straw so you drink it hot from the bottom of the glass first.
This is not intended to provoke a heated debate as they are all good, but recipes seem to vary from place to place.
Not a definitive comment but what we have been told is a Bombardino is basically Advocaat plus schnapps with cream on top, Calimero is advocaat with espresso and cream on top. Having said that, the first Bombardino I had was advocaat plus schnapps plus espresso with cream on top
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

It’s super busy in Alta Badia - queues everywhere. Never seen it this busy.

@stellaps, yes, the only time I've ever known it be really busy in Alta Badia is in the Fasching / Carnival week and unfortunately this year it clashes with UK half term. Next year it's the 1st week in March so half term will be much quieter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@olderscot, Thank goodness we will miss it next year. Having said that it’s fun to see all the colourful onesies. @JHS, I must try one of those then instead of the usual bombardino snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looking at some of the web cams earlier some of the queues looked longer than you see at New Year.
Two loops of the Sella Ronda may have been a challenge today.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We made a huge mistake and ended up queuing at Piz La Ila twice this morning so had to shelve plans for the Hidden Valley. Won’t do that again Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last minute trip to Alta Badia this weekend! It’s 20 years since we skied in the Dolomites, so really looking forward to it. Suspect it should be a touch quieter next week?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sean1967, well I'm not sure I'm the best person to comment, obviously we're all different. Ability wise I'm a decent intermediate, so will tackle anything, ski it on a good day and survive it on a bad one ! Wife is a good skier. We like resorts with a bit of life but not mad apres ski.

Cortina - never stayed in the town but i think we've skied 4 days there. it's beautiful, but honestly I think it's a bit over rated and my wife thinks it's a bit small. Not massive ski area and it's disjointed so you have to bus/drive between the main two areas, however but have never seen it really busy like the SR or HV.

Madonna - we've stayed there IIRC 4 times. We both have a soft spot for it so are no doubt biased. It's a nice town with a piazza unlike e.g. Corvara etc. we think the town better than any on the SR, good scenery (maybe not up to Cortina standard) slopes don't tend to be too busy but this year seemed busier than pre covid on some days. You can ski the whole area without needing a bus or car though there is one 15 min Gondola ride to get to Pinzolo. It does have the odd bottleneck but lifts have been updated in recent years so we didn't have any meaningful delays this year. There are multiple lifts from the town centre which we find useful. Ski area is similar in size to any one of the main SR resorts, it has a few some genuinely steep blacks, several of which I've looked at and never tackled (70+%), wife has skied them, maybe I'll try next year. But also some lovely more straightforward blacks and reds running down through trees. Also some nice end of days red runs into the town which IIRC don't get really cut up. My wife says the runs are shorted than many around the SR.

So if you're looking to ski miles and miles of different pistes then the SR is best but if you're after somewhere a more contained then we really like Madonna over Cortina.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowfraise, Should be much quieter - lucky you! I’m hoping the hoardes will depart on Saturday!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The weather forecast per ECMWF from Friday 23 February looks very promising. At Corvara village level freezing day and night, snow top ups each day.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow&skifan wrote:
The weather forecast per ECMWF from Friday 23 February looks very promising. At Corvara village level freezing day and night, snow top ups each day.

That's 9 days away. I would treat anything that far out with extreme caution.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jimmybog wrote:
Snow&skifan wrote:

That's 9 days away. I would treat anything that far out with extreme caution.

Cold day and night from Monday, is that too far ahead?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Snow&skifan,
in our experience tomorrow is too far ahead! we had a week where every day the forecast for the next was cloudy and warm, then on the actual morning the forecast for that day had changed to sunny and cold, which proved to be accurate. Obviously one day it was finally cloudy and warm...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Need sunny and cold tomorrow. It’s very warm at the moment!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skied to Marmolada today from Selva which felt quite an undertaking. But apart from one 2 man chair bottleneck above Arabba there were minimal queues. The Marmolada queue itself was beautifully managed and flowed smoothly. I don’t think there can be anything much more beautiful than the views from the top; worth every minute of the journey and to be honest we loved the journey too.
snow conditions
Anyone done the hidden valley this week? Interested to know what the conditions are like... Cheers
ski holidays
Did it yesterday morning @jma, Absolutely perfect conditions.
snow conditions
@stellaps, lovely, thanks. First lift from Selva it is then!
ski holidays
@jma, Take cash for the taxi and horse tow - €8 for taxi and €3 for the horsies. Enjoy! It’s magical.
latest report
Thank you @stellaps, that was about to be my question!
snow report
Hi, I'm a first time to Corvara, from Saturday 24th Feb. Which ski rental shop do you recommend, please?
snow report
@Snow&skifan, we’ve used sport Alfredo who have some nice gear, I had some almost new Blizzard skis, but also Sport Kostner were decent a few years earlier.
ski holidays
We use Sport Kostner and always had decent equipment from them. Think Sport Alfredo have a new shop next to Col Alto hotel now, in case your staying that end of the village.
latest report
@Snow&skifan, we always use Sport Kostner when we stay at Posta Zirm - as they give us a little discount as well as good skis.
snow conditions
We use Sport Alfredo opposite Posta Zirm. The guys there are so helpful and skis are excellent always. Also change them if not entirely happy no problem.
snow conditions
@Snow&skifan,
Looks like your trip might coincide with a rare lump of new February snow in the Dolomites! Corvara is a great base for skiing the sella massif. Worth a ski pilgrimage over to Santa Croce and there is a fabby Cocktail bar at Le Griff in the centre of Corvara for a bit of elegant indulgence.
Kronplatz is also in range and is a great day out too.
Jealous Cool
snow report
Peter S wrote:
@Snow&skifan,
Looks like your trip might coincide with a rare lump of new February snow in the Dolomites! Corvara is a great base for skiing the sella massif. Worth a ski pilgrimage over to Santa Croce and there is a fabby Cocktail bar at Le Griff in the centre of Corvara for a bit of elegant indulgence.
Kronplatz is also in range and is a great day out too.
Jealous Cool

Excited.

Possibly 60 ski holidays and I’ve never visited the Dolomites.

Thank you for the answers above.
ski holidays
@JHS, Had 2 calimeros today - sublime!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stellaps wrote:
@JHS, Had 2 calimeros today - sublime!

They do go down rather well
latest report
Quote:

Hi, I'm a first time to Corvara, from Saturday 24th Feb. Which ski rental shop do you recommend, please?

We've rented from the Corvara ski school for the last 8 years or so. It's always been convenient for us as we also rent a locker there and its just a short walk from our hotel in our snow boots.

The skis aren't bad and you tend to get what you pay for. 3* are good for beginners, 4* will typically get you some decent performance skis that are a few years old, 5* might get you some head skis for example and 6* will typically get you this years top end skis such as Dynastar Race Masters, etc if that's the kind of thing you're after.
ski holidays
Interpreting from the latest ECMWF meteogram for Corvara, crudely multiplying forecast precipitation by 10 for snow.

Friday 23 Feb - 14cm new snow, max temp +1c at village level.
Sat 24 - 9cm and +1c.
Sun 25 - 2cm and +1c.
Mon 26 onwards - small falls each and always below freezing.

Things can obvious alter, but encouraging.
ski holidays
Oooh good! Heading back to the Dolomites first week of March with 26 others.
ski holidays
They look to be having a very successful season yet again. Weeks of sunshine and occasional snowfalls. Everything open and running and it’s been busy by the look of it.
ski holidays
Snow&skifan wrote:
Interpreting from the latest ECMWF meteogram for Corvara, crudely multiplying forecast precipitation by 10 for snow.

Sat 24 - 9cm and +1c.
Sun 25 - 2cm and +1c.

Hopefully this is at least approximately what happens, as I'm out in Colfosco just up the road from Corvara at the same time.
Happy to share tips for the area as I've been known to ski it on a regular basis Happy
snow conditions
Just brief look at the forecast models and it looks like March in Dolomites will be awesome !!!

What I am seeing is fair amount of snow next weekend, some top ups week thereafter and then sunshine !!!
snow report
Cheapski wrote:
Just brief look at the forecast models and it looks like March in Dolomites will be awesome !!!

What I am seeing is fair amount of snow next weekend, some top ups week thereafter and then sunshine !!!

Indeed it will be.

Snowy and cold enough for the lads to fire up the snowmaking again, right up to the the 6th of March, then blue skies and quite slopes for 2 weeks. snowHead

It's not unknown, I'm sure similar happened in 2014 and again a couple of years ago too.
snow report
Hi everyone - quick question, how much time should it take to ski from cortina to colfosco? Changing hotels in a few weeks and thinking of sending the bags via car hire and skiing to the second hotel.

The new cortina skyline makes it possible to get to cinque torri area without bus, although the maps of the area are extremely confusing at times! I think we’ll figure it out though!
ski holidays
@ricobatts, I would guess a full morning(3-4 hrs) and very dependent on queues at Laguzoi, but it would be a guess. I've done all the bits but not as a single trip.
latest report
@ricobatts, You have to go down the hidden valley so that can cause delays but I’d allow 2-3 hrs depending on queues, skiing speed etc
latest report
SteveM wrote:
Snow&skifan wrote:

Sat 24 - 9cm and +1c.
Sun 25 - 2cm and +1c.

Hopefully this is at least approximately what happens, as I'm out in Colfosco just up the road from Corvara at the same time.
Happy to share tips for the area as I've been known to ski it on a regular basis Happy

Cheers. Hopefully I will.

I'm going with two fair weather skiers, my wife now finds any reason not to ski.

My plan is to ski the entire Sella Ronda on my first day Sunday 25th, to tick off 'the accomplishment'.

Then work around my daughter's ski mojo.

I wouldn't have known about The Hidden Valley if it wasn't for Snowheads Little Angel so that's in my plans.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy