Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
can anyone recommend a private transfer company from any of the nearby airports into Arabba ? (for 2025 ?) - for five of us.

http://www.venicecab.com/rates.html (not used them..)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
albob wrote:
I find openskimap very handy (but not on the slopes !) it has little arrows showing direction of piste

https://openskimap.org/#13.39/46.54931/11.89415

The MapOut app uses this data I think, it works really well on mobile (and you can download the data on WiFi at home so no data issues on the piste). you have to pay for the app but it's a one off charge not a subscription. As a map I found it better than other apps (FatMap, MyDolomiti etc).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We’ve used Venice cabs last two years. Excellent communication and very reliable. Reasonable prices especially if it’s for four or more.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@albob, @Gufo, thanks for the tip
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My last day tomorrow, given the poor snow most of this season and warm temperatures it’s been significantly better than I expected, choose your slopes and times well and the skiing is excellent for this time of year, choose south facing and busy slopes and it’s a different story.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowing heavily in Passo San Pellegrino today, looks like the dollies are in for bit of snow over next while? Anyone skiing at mo?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A couple of peeps have been posting in the Birthday Bash thread after completing the SellaRonda skimarathon

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=163571&start=1080
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Super conditions up high in Dolomites (Passo San Pellegrino). South facing slopes fine until after lunch (then an interesting mix of soft and crust I've never encountered before, air temps low but sun strong).

North facing slopes superb until closing time, nailed the world cup black and its adjacent colleagues repeatedly off the surprisingly good rinse and repeat cable car. Lots of snow forecast Wed, could be tricky skiing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now snowing for last 30 hours and no sign of letting up. Unfortunately the powder is pretty heavy but still makes for good atmosphere.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@8611, and webcams showing it is still chucking down !!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow even at village levels, looks great, a late season boost.

https://www.altabadia.org/en/info-service/alta-badia-webcam.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
how do you guys generally book accommodation ?
Using VRBO for half term Feb 2025, for a family of 5, I'm not seeing anything in Corvara, Colfosco or Arabba.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep, snowing moderately all day, can't see anything alas but interestingly the quality of the snow falling is much better than yesterday, it's really quite light now, could have a genuine powder day if the clouds lifted
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@UtahGetMeTwo, I use booking.com or the resort websites, you will usually get a better price if you contact the hotel directly as booking take a commission, but bear in mind that a lot of places won't even have set their prices for next year yet, I asked in my hotel this morning and she said they won't set next winter prices until after June this year
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@8611, hi - thanks for this.
snow report
If you look in other threads here you will get recommendations of places in colfosco it's a popular destination on this forum. You could then contact the hotels directly.
ski holidays
It's cleared up a bit and bona fide powder day now, pistes have a lovely layer of silly snow on them, anyone skiing above 1800m (and possibly lower?) in the Dolomites next few days should have a great time

With a lot more to come it looks like!
ski holidays
Just booked last-minute for Selva arriving on Saturday. Thanks for the updates - can’t wait!
latest report
To all the Dolomiti regulars ... we have flights to Milan booked for February HT next year. We are keen to ski / board the Dolomites, an area which we have only visited in the summer so far (and absolutely love).

We are a family of mileage-hungry, expert on-piste skiers - where do you suggest we base ourselves. We will have a car but would rather stay in 1 place for the week.

Thanks
latest report
franga wrote:
To all the Dolomiti regulars ... we have flights to Milan booked for February HT next year. We are keen to ski / board the Dolomites, an area which we have only visited in the summer so far (and absolutely love).

We are a family of mileage-hungry, expert on-piste skiers - where do you suggest we base ourselves. We will have a car but would rather stay in 1 place for the week.

Thanks

Experts …. Selva has an wide array of steep reds and blacks I believe, whilst others really rate Arabba.
snow report
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
how do you guys generally book accommodation ?
Using VRBO for half term Feb 2025, for a family of 5, I'm not seeing anything in Corvara, Colfosco or Arabba.

Use TripAdvisor for reviews (with the usual caution over one or two posts trying to ruin a reputation), then contact hotels directly asap and book now.

We’ve just done exactly that. The deposit paid was something like a modest 20%.
snow conditions
@franga, I think you would want to have access to the sella ronda but ideally be off in a side valley with a bit of skiing away from the crowds of the sella ronda as I gather the pistes and queues at pinch points on itare bad at busy times

Someone will doubtless have a suggestion for you. Maybe Suisi which I remember someone here being very happy with how quiet it was when the SR was busy, though I think it's a bit further from Bergamo
ski holidays
@UtahGetMeTwo, look at https://www.altabadia.org/en/hotel-alps/hotels-accommodation-online-search.html
snow report
It might be a little early for some accommodation places to have released dates for next season though, more will be open from summer onwards.
snow conditions
Igor Tavala's latest video posted today shows that they've had a lot of new snow. At one point in the video he points out the last two days white snowfall which is on top of a lower layer containing Saharan sand. Also useful information that the old 2 person Padon chairlift that is part of the link when skiing from Arabia to Marmolada is to be replaced next season by a 6 person chair.
http://youtube.com/v/xn_BiTHvmkk?si=F_g88Ccgz65TrgVF
latest report
@Alastair Pink, another excellent (and frustrating for those not able to do this) video. The news about Padon is also welcome. Separately, I received a survey email from Dolomiti Superski last night which was exploring opinions on dynamic pricing for lift passes. Not sure if it will mean anything for next season but I hope the off peak price model dates don't change; I booked my group holiday from 18th Jan to take advantage of the lower rates. I may have missed it being discussed elsewhere, so others may already know what the lift pass company is planning and when.
snow report
On our way to Innsbruck now after a good week in Selva. First time staying here after many (5-6?) trips to Corvara and Colfosco. Loved the location - definitely a good step up now both children out of ski school and able to navigate pistes in varying conditions.

Managed to ski 5 of the 6 days, getting first lift every day and skiing till late lunch. Loved Plan de Gralba and must come back and ski La Longia (weather came in just as we got to the top one day and we could only just see each other so crept back down to bottom).

Booked a last-minute deal at the Hotel Stella with Inghams 8 days beforehand - lovely hotel with great spa (which we had to ourselves most afternoons). Fantastic breakfast, lovely bar and great service. Dinner was 5-course fine dining every night but they did offer classic alternatives off-menu (schnitzel, pasta ragù, pasta pomodoro, etc) which we did take advantage of now and again. Great location for both Costabella and Ciampinoi lifts.
snow conditions
Season finishes tomorrow I think, prob apart from kronplatz and marmolada?

Can never figure out how kronplatz keeps going, is it just demand from the countries to the North?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
8611 wrote:
Season finishes tomorrow I think, prob apart from kronplatz and marmolada?

Can never figure out how kronplatz keeps going, is it just demand from the countries to the North?

They manage the snow very well. They close some of the pistes in early / late season, but the runs on the top will probably be OK early each day
ski holidays
Perhaps because there is a lot less competition after tomorrow?
ski holidays
From the video posted by @Alastair Pink it seems the area has had a very good 'Snow Season' Smile
snow conditions
Is it Easter the Superski usually stays open too or does it depend on when Easter is? Next year its about two weeks later, is the expectation that the resorts will try and stay open until then?
ski holidays
That news about Pardon chair would be good but there is still the old two seat chair from the Arabba DMC mid station to contend with before yoiu get to the Pardon lift!
snow report
8611 wrote:
Is it Easter the Superski usually stays open too or does it depend on when Easter is? Next year its about two weeks later, is the expectation that the resorts will try and stay open until then?

I'm sure they have in the past -- currently Arabba will not close until the 21st
snow report
albob wrote:
8611 wrote:

I'm sure they have in the past -- currently Arabba will not close until the 21st

Arabba closed Sunday
Other place still open but cant do Sella Ronda now
kronplatz tries to be first to open and last to close each year
The cost of running most of the network goes once you are into April in the Dolomites
Even the Easter week which was early this year looked quiet
They can still have good conditions but at the same time it can be a slush fest. A lot of the slopes catch a lot of the sun.
Personality my cut off for the Dolomites is mid March after that it's a big risk to commit a weeks holidays. Difference if you lived relatively close.
ski holidays
franga wrote:

Thanks

Selva or Arabba are the two best for what you describe. The benefit of Selva is that it's closer to Milan and an easier drive as it's all major highways then just one easy local road. It also has a bigger more varied town in terms of restaurants/shops/walking around. The benefit of Arabba I think is that it will be a bit better for expert skiers. If staying in Selva, I highly recommend the ski lockers below/next to the Ciampinoi Gondala - Sciola I think is the name. Inexpensive, clean, modern, lots of space. While our hotel had the typical boot room, we found it hugely convenient to walk to and from the hotel without our gear. You use your ski pass to open the locker which is helpful. For rentals, I recommend Ski Olga, which is across the street, although the ski locker place also rents.

It's really a coin flip though and I would make accommodation the tie breaker - wherever you get the best hotel/apartment. Then, if you like it a lot, go to the other town next time. It will be a totally different experience.
latest report
@franga, wherever you stay, get to Kronplatz. The most vertical, the most really long steep groomers. Off by itself but worth the drive.
latest report
Garfield wrote:
albob wrote:
8611 wrote:

Arabba closed Sunday
The cost of running most of the network goes once you are into April in the Dolomites
They can still have good conditions but at the same time it can be a slush fest. A lot of the slopes catch a lot of the sun.
Personality my cut off for the Dolomites is mid March after that it's a big risk to commit a weeks holidays. Difference if you lived relatively close.

Some of Arabba may have closed - but the Portavescovo side was open this morning !!
snow report
albob wrote:
Garfield wrote:
albob wrote:
8611 wrote:

Arabba closed Sunday

Some of Arabba may have closed - but the Portavescovo side was open this morning !!

Looked like five out of fifteen lifts still running.
Ok if you were local and had a morning to spare?
Does not matter anyway as I'm not back till next January Blush though I may be in the area over the summer.
As I said I would have mid March as my cut off for the area.
Possibly if I could leave booking to the very last minute but a winter like this has been conditions have been all over the place.
latest report
@Garfield, Mid-March is also my cut off - second week at the latest :
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy