Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long distance transfers from Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
We have opted to fly from our local airport (Aberdeen) heading for Bardonecchia via Geneva which leaves the long transfer at the other end.
I appreciate that we won’t pick up a transfer bus from that distance & wondered if anyone had a positive experience of transfer companies for longer distances out of either Geneva Airport or collecting from Bardonecchia.
Flight times are not conducive to using public transport.
We are a group of 4 with some luggage and 2 ski bags.
Any suggestions please?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure if it's possible, but might be worth looking to see if there's a train from Geneva to Chambery, and then a train from Chambery to Bardonecchia.

One thing your journey does have going for it is that Bardonecchia has a train station. And some great and underrated skiing (in my opinion).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry, didn't read the bit where you said flight times not conducive to using public transport!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@YellowAndBlue, thanks anyway.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maybe the man at Sauze online might be able to help?

https://www.sauzeonline.com/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Only choice you have is to hire a car, Geneva airport is nowhere near Bardonecchia and even in a hire car it would take 5 to 6 hours through the Mt Blanc Tunnel . Change you flights or change your destination. If you are set on flying to Geneva and want to go to Italy really your only options are Courmayeur or La Thuile .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hire car?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rob Mackley wrote:
Change you flights or change your destination.

This. What on earth were(n’t) you thinking when you booked that combination?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Connecting flight to Turin?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Transfers will probably be the most expensive part of that trip.
Cancel bardonecchia & head to a small french resort instead.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skiseekers, as above, Geneva to Bardonecchia will likely be very costly. Assuming you can't change your flights, it would probably be best to change resort to somewhere closer to Geneva unless you have a specific reason for going to Bardonecchia. Otherwise - hire a car (still a long journey).

In the future, if you want to visit somewhere in that part of the Alps it would be easier to fly from Edinburgh, which has direct flights to Turin.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

might be worth looking to see if there's a train from Geneva to Chambery, and then a train from Chambery to Bardonecchia

Nope. Rockfall has blocked the line and all trains will be stopping well before the Frejus tunnel this winter.

Quote:

Connecting flight to Turin?

Nope. To fly to Turin from Geneva you'd have to change in Rome / Munich / Barcelona / ...

Quote:

it would take 5 to 6 hours through the Mt Blanc Tunnel [by car]

If you do decide to rent a car, Frejus tunnel is probably better; if you go Mont Blanc tunnel then once in Italy you will have to go all the way out of the mountains along the Aosta valley, then to Turin, then all the way back into the mountains to Bardonecchia.

@skiseekers, I'd be astonished if you find anyone willing to do a transfer for you - it's simply not a route that the established companies cover. You will, to all intents and purposes, be paying for a cab to get you there.

I'd agree with much of the above advice: change flights or change resort.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 26-10-23 20:03; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks
It’s about the same distance as it would be at this end for us to get to Edinburgh or Glasgow airport (around 200km). Driving shows at about 2.5 hours.

It’s during the French holidays and so we decided to opt for Bardonecchia, hoping for pretty, Italian and not too crazy busy when we get there. Flights, accommodation, passes etc are reasonably priced & there are 4 of us to share the cost of transfer, so we are looking for reliable companies to get us to and from resort and understand that it will be expensive.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skiseekers, expensive? Yeah, over 400€ each way looking at https://www.alps2alps.com for example.

If there's a driving route at 2.5 hrs then car rental looks like a good option (perhaps with hotel stopovers as necessary). I guess there's no drop-off/pick-up rental point anywhere near Bardonecchia, so you'll have it for the 7-9 days.

Perhaps, for such a long journey, you might consider a fortnight, and then you can have 3 days' skiing in an intermediate place, 6 days' Bardonecchia, and 3 nights' elsewhere?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Try Ski Lifts? I’d imagine it’d cost about twice as much as hiring a car, though.
snow report
@skiseekers, the problem is that isn't a route normally covered, so you'll struggle to find a company willing to do it (especially during the holidays - they'll have lots of easier customers to choose from), and if one does, it'll be expensive, as they will have to charge for a return journey each way, as no one else will want the empty leg.

If you get a quote for less than 800eur for each transfer I'd be amazed - and probably more.

But if you insist, you could ask Alps2Alps or Mountain Dropoffs - they both do some 'custom' transfers, inc. to Italy (but usually limited to Aosta valley).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 26-10-23 20:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Sauze online website say Sauze d'Oulx to Chambery airport 2 hrs and it's one of the routes they seem to arrange transfers for. Again, might be worth checking with them to see if they can do something for you from Geneva to Bardonecchia, via Chambery?

Yes, I think you could get some great skiing, in the trees, and up high on Jafferau, well away form the half-term crowds.
snow conditions
Rent a car and take the Frejus tunnel.
ski holidays
Pick up a car in Geneva (check if you can take it into Italy as some car specs are not allowed cross borders) head towards The Maurienne valley and then through the Frejus tunnel, you would be looking at 2 1/2 to 3 hours driving.
ski holidays
@skiseekers, distance may be the same, but the problem is cost (and duration if not driving). Aberdeen to Edinburgh has good, inexpensive public transport links. Geneva to Bardonecchia doesn't.

Your first post suggested that you were looking for a private transfer. If you're also considering driving, 2.5 hrs (assuming no traffic and good road conditions) is not too bad. Even so, you'll likely be looking at >£500 when you total up hire cost (notoriously expensive at Geneva), fuel, tolls and Frejus Tunnel fee. Compared with <£200 from Turin (car hire is much cheaper in Italy).

Hope it all goes well. Bardonecchia should certainly tick the boxes for pretty, Italian and not crazy busy Smile
latest report
And 2.5 hours looks about right to me. Once through the Frejus tunnel, you're there, straight off the motorway, no climbing up hairpin bends to resort.
snow report
Hi @skiseekers, had another think on this. You may stand a better chance of getting a transfer to somewhere in the Maurienne valley, by a company that operates there - somewhere close to Modane / Freney (from there, close access to the tunnel across to Italy).

On this basis I took a look to see what's offered to Termignon. This is about the same distance as Bardonecchia but further up the Maurienne valley rather than turning right into Italy. https://www.alpinbus.com/ quote around 750€ for that journey for 4 people. https://www.alps2alps.com/ are quoting around £650 and appear to offer Bardonecchia direct. Other companies also appear to be available if you search for "ski transfer geneva termignon / bardonnechia / etc". But in all cases probably worth contacting the company to have a chat about willingness and feasibility.

I have no association with any of these companies.
snow report
Fly to Geneva and go to LaThuile , it’s a good ski resort , cheap fun with great food and not too far from Geveva , also its not too busy during the holidays
snow report
As soon as I saw Bardonecchia mentioned I thought Valfrejus. IIRC from when I was there they are a lift connected. Otherwise it is not an easy transfer as basically you have to cross the Mont Blanc massive. Perhaps it would be better to fly to Turin
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
As soon as I saw Bardonecchia mentioned I thought Valfrejus. IIRC from when I was there they are a lift connected. Otherwise it is not an easy transfer as basically you have to cross the Mont Blanc massive. Perhaps it would be better to fly to Turin

No link from Valfrejus to Bardonnechia, though there is talk of a link in the future. Simple trip through the Frejus tunnel that takes about 29 minutes and literally spits you out in Bardonnechia.
ski holidays
@skiseekers, Could you fly Aberdeen -> Amsterdam -> Turin?
latest report
@johnE, @andmelffion, if Valfrejus and Bardonecchia ever get a link I'd be astounded. Active environmental groups on the Maurienne side, the financially cautious Labellemontagne lift comapny on the Italian side... and the gap between the two areas is a long way, steep and south facing.
snow report
@skiseekers, Monterosa (e.g. Champoluc) much easier to get to by car (although not necessarily so easy to get a transfer) and similarly not so busy. See also Courmayeur. Or Cervinia. Or really anywhere down the Aosta valley.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bardonnechia isn't a particularaly great resort. Nothing wrong with it as such, but it's fairly low and split into two completely separate, relatively small areas. We did a week there once, and were a bit disappointed. If you're arriving in GVA lateish, then the route isn't exactly great to drive if it's dark and cold and especially if it's snowing.

@skiseekers To be a bit more constructive - are you OK with self-catering? Because that levels-out a lot of the cost differences between countries and resorts. It could make Switzerland or France more on a par with an Italian trip if so, especially if you look at a 'satellite' resort like St.Martin de Bellville for the Trois Vallées or Nendaz/La Tzoumaz for Verbier-Quatre Vallées.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 27-10-23 11:04; edited 5 times in total
snow conditions
You do get some interesting news on this forum. I hadn't realised that the railway line up the Maurienne valley was closed ( https://www.railtech.com/infrastructure/2023/10/03/frejus-railway-to-remain-closed-until-summer-2024-after-landslide/?gdpr=deny ) . This is a major freight route from France to Italy and will probably mean a lot more lorry traffic on the motorway from Chambery. It will also restrict those people who want to use the train more as it is also the passenger route from places like Paris (and I suppose London) to Milan and Italy. The history of this route is fascinating, especially with the mountain railway over mont cenis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Cenis_Pass_Railway and its later route https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9jus_Rail_Tunnel
snow report
JayRo wrote:
Rob Mackley wrote:
Change you flights or change your destination.

This. What on earth were(n’t) you thinking when you booked that combination?

Maybe the OP was thinking it's only a 2 and a quarter hour transfer, which is not unusual in the alps...
snow report
Rob Mackley wrote:
Only choice you have is to hire a car, Geneva airport is nowhere near Bardonecchia and even in a hire car it would take 5 to 6 hours through the Mt Blanc Tunnel . Change you flights or change your destination. If you are set on flying to Geneva and want to go to Italy really your only options are Courmayeur or La Thuile .

But only about two and a quarter hours if you avoid the MB tunnel wink
snow conditions
@Bergmeister, I had forgotten about the Frejus tunnel but is it really that close ? It must take a good hour and half to get to the start of the Maurianne via Chambrey ?
ski holidays
Definitely rent a car. But yes. If you can't avoid Bardonecchia it's a bit of a daft plan! Driving via Frejus easy enough though. No problem taking a Geneva hired car into Italy. People take them into France all the time.
snow conditions
Rob Mackley wrote:
@Bergmeister, I had forgotten about the Frejus tunnel but is it really that close ? It must take a good hour and half to get to the start of the Maurianne via Chambrey ?

From GVA it takes just over 2 hours (not exceeding speed limits) to our place in St Michel de Maurienne and then it’s a further 35 mins or so to Bardonnechia through the Frejus tunnel. Just looked at a live travel route and is giving 2 hrs 24mins from GVA to Bardonnechia so it’s a pretty easy journey.
ski holidays
Quite expensive. You'd need to be sure you were back within the definition of 7 days return.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quite expensive. You'd need to be sure you were back within the definition of 7 days return.

€64.20 return cost
for class 1, 2 and 5 vehicles, the return is valid until 11:59 p.m. of the 7th day following that of issue (e.g. if purchased on Saturday, return valid until 11:59 p.m. the following Saturday).
snow conditions
@Bergmeister, yes, we’ve certainly done longer transfers in the past.
ski holidays
Its a fairly easy drive on motorway whole way so hire a car of you are happy driving, if not then I would contact the resort and they will put you in touch with a local taxi company. Not sure why people think its a ridiculous idea sub 2.5 hours transfer is fairly standard
snow conditions
@alasdair.graham, Yep it will take us about as long to get from Munich to Mayrhofen in December. And Verona to Passo Tonale was over 3 hours for us a couple of years ago.

Actually, Geneva to Courchevel was about 3 hours on a bus as well.

So nothing really out of the ordinary here I think...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy