Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which week has the best snow in Verbier & Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
I’m planning a 2 week trip to Zermatt & Verbier but I don’t know when to book it for. I was in France & Switzerland in Feb & Mar/23 for 3 weeks but never received a significant amount of snow. Is there anyone that has been there several times that can help me come up with the best 2 weeks from Jan - March?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Based on the past 15 years of snowfall history...

Jan 5th to Mar 15th is their snowiest window of the season.

Narrowing it down further...

Second week of January is the snowiest week for Zermatt.

First week of February is the snowiest week for Verbier.

Early March is my favorite time in those stations. Lots of sun, maybe some flake.

But it's a myth that Europe gets lots of snowfall. It doesn't. Zermatt and Verbier, for example, typically get only 200-600cm a season.

If you want guaranteed powda on a 2- or 3-week trip, you gotta go to Northern Japan or Western US, where they routinely get over 1000cm a season.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone want to get their magic eight ball out for the OP?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks so much. I appreciate it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@djaramillo, welcome to SHs.

It’s impossible to predict.

If you’re really chasing knee+ deep powder, January is a little more likely. But you need to be kind of packed and ready to travel.

Avoiding school holiday weeks (10/2-09/3) generally improves the experience. (I don’t think 4 vallees as badly affected as e.g. Grand Massif (FR) but still.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@djaramillo, Verbier and especially Zermatt are not the best for snowfall. They are both very inner-alpine, meaning many mountains between them and the Atlantic Ocean/North Sea (where most snow comes from). Their climate hence is relatively dry (and sunny! Very Happy )
In the Alps, for regular snowfall ánd big dumps, Ski Arlberg (St.Anton/Lech/Warth) is best, they get 7-11 meters snow per season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Langerzug, yeah, Verbier is absolutely dreadful, usually. That's why it's got such a poor off piste reputation.

Wait, what?

Err, anyway, according to this source - onthsnow.co.uk - I'm not sure you're correct,

Verbier Average 425cm
St Anton Average 358cm
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@djaramillo, as you experienced, very hard to put a definitive answer to it. March, those mid weeks have often been good for me over the years, but recently all season can show considerable shift in snow accumulation.

To pin down date for your question though, last week of Jan & first week of Feb would be my pick in those location. Strong odds I feel, as above though it's getting more difficult to read in respect of when snow will be falling in significant quantities. These week allow for previous accumulation, cold temperatures usually, less people there to use the snow ( in comparison to traditional school holidays immediately following this period) there's a reasonable stack of enhanced odds on for them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Langerzug, Hilarious!

@djaramillo, sadly it's impossible to predict, recent seasons have seen significant fresh snow later and later in the season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, it's quite simple, those are not cumulative quantities, but average snow depth...And I'm not saying that Verbier is a poor off piste destination
@kitenski, nothing hilarious, just facts.
Wallis/Valais is sheltered from northern depressions by the Berner Oberland (4000m!), and hence relatively sunny and dry. Ski Arlberg is at the northern edge of the Alps, and on top of that right east of huge Lake Konstanz and the Rhine-Valley. Which also explains that within Arlberg, most snow falls at Warth (at the far north end), which is only at 1500-2000 meters, and not at Valluga (2811 m.) Warth gets totals of 11 meters snow per season
It's widely known that the Arlberg and Vorarlberg region are the wettest/snowiest of the Alps. (and Salzburg-Dachstein almost equal, sometimes even wetter)

Explaining those averages, Verbier reaches 3300 meter where that 425 cm probably is measured . In St.Anton they measure at Galzig, at 2200 meters. Verbier reaches its max average much earlier in season....it used to be a summer-ski-destination> remainders of summer snow, and better conservation at lower temps. In other words: Mont Fort (still) probably stays white throughout summer, Valluga and definitely Galzig are not white in summer.
I've been to both very often by the way. And am watching snowheights for over 30 years....
Q4 is a great off-piste destination, but talking snowfall, Q4 is no match for Arlberg, sorry
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name and @kitenski, @Langerzug is actually correct about the Arlberg being one of the snowiest regions - for equivalent heights - in the Alps. Warth in particular usually tops the Alpine list for snow accumulation each season. Average snowfall drops off appreciably as you move south (further into the Alps) through the Arlberg though - Lech / Zurs get less then Warth, and St Anton less than both.

They are also correct about Zermatt being one of the driest resorts in the Alps due to the inner Alpine location, along with places like Saas Fee and St Moritz). Cold, dry and sunny means snow retention is good, but not as much fresh snow falls.

Buut... I suspect Verbier is significantly snowier than Zermatt, because it's less inneralpine and the ski area is somewhat exposed to northwesterly storms.

Taking into account all of the above, the Arlberg gets much more snow than Verbier but I'm not sure that St Anton (specifically) gets lots more than Verbier. The figures listed by @under a new name sound like they are taken at resort level - remember that Verbier is ~200m higher than St Anton.

@djaramillo, as others have said, the best week is impossible to predict in advance, though I think January tends to be more unsettled (= snowier) than later in the season. It also tends to be windier, which can shut lifts.

My favourite times for skiing (more generally) are just before and after the February half term.

Edit: this was a response to Langerzug's earlier post, not the one directly above which I hadn't seen.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Langerzug, the official Verbier measuring station is around 2000m from memory (The webcam link doesn't seem to be valid currently, this is the one from last year)

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, you're a Stuben regular. Just think about the thick snow on the roofs in Stuben. You don't get that in Q4, at least not on a regular basis like in Arlberg. And Stuben is at just 1400 meters...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Langerzug, yes I love Stuben and the area, I also like the skiing and snow around Verbier!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@denfinella, thanks for that. Makes me less "hilarious" I hope....
latest report
@Langerzug, Q4? Fully electric?
ski holidays
@under a new name, Toofy Grin, no; a XC70 4wd, an oldie
snow conditions
djaramillo wrote:
I’m planning a 2 week trip to Zermatt & Verbier but I don’t know when to book it for. I was in France & Switzerland in Feb & Mar/23 for 3 weeks but never received a significant amount of snow. Is there anyone that has been there several times that can help me come up with the best 2 weeks from Jan - March?

I am in Verbier most weekends and unfortunately the answer to your question is no. From one year to the next and even one week and one day, the conditions can change dramatically. We have had seasons with great cold pow in Jan and then dry in Feb and snow again in March and the reverse. In general the temps will be colder in Jan so it is the best time for skiing cold powder in the trees. By comparison March will be warmer so less chance of light, cold powder but snow depths up in the high Alpine will be deeper so it is the best time for the big off piste descents with the advantage of more sunshine. February sits between the two and is probably the best bet for the combination of cold and snow depth. The only thing we can say with more certainty for this year is that the early season start looks like it will be very good. There is already snow on the ground and it looks like a lot more coming down to low elevations over the next 2 weeks. This doesn’t directly help you for Jan / Feb / March but a good early season base is always a good thing!

Ps be careful with snow comparison reports from Internet weirdos. They might not tell you that Verbier has beginner slopes higher than any lift in the Arlberg you can access without a guide. Bring your umbrella if you’re in St Anton during a warm spell!!!
ski holidays
We usually go out across the last weeks of January/First week of February for 2½-3 weeks. The snow is usually OK to good then. Out of the last twenty years we've cancelled once (poor snow) and it's been pretty bad once and we'd not have gone out if we'd known. The rest of the time the concern is more around short days and poor visibility (snowing or foggy). The coldest we've skied in is -19°C.

Aside from being colder and more snow-sure, the end of Jan through the beginning of Feb is the quietest time for school (non) holidays. Although obviously, the days are at their shortest. After the various half-terms there are 'sports weeks' in many of the Swiss Cantons and so you can get more school groups than you'd expect in term time. Albeit they usually ski much better than me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy