Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Online Ski Retailer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A couple of questions please - we are looking to buy our 16Y old a new pair of skis for his upcoming birthday (we are based in Cheshire) :

- would you buy skis online or do you definitely recommend going to somewhere like Ellis Brigham to have a proper feel, see how heavy they are etc?
- can someone please recommend a reputable online retailer that will stock a much bigger range than a normal shop outfit

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think picking them up in a shop will actually tell you much, ideally you want to ski on them. Having done a couple of Oktobertests I can tell you it's amazing how different 2 pairs of skis from different manufacturers, looking and feeling much the same in your hands, and aimed at the same segment of the market can feel when you're actually sliding - to the point you'll love one pair as they give you confidence but hate the other and think they're trying to kill you the whole time!

How about picking up some knackered old skis second hand on eBay on the cheap, so you have something to wrap - then when he unwraps them tell him they are just a joke and he's actually going to demo some different skis when you actually go skiing/you'll buy the ones he likes the most at the end of/online after the trip and before your next one?

A lot of shops will have demo skis you can effectivly hire by the day, getting some or all of those hire fees knocked off the purchase price if you go on to buy a pair. Alternatively hire normal skis for the first couple of days, when the hire shops are rushed off their feet with returns/collections, then go back when they are quiet and have time to chat and tell them what sort of ski you're interested in and hire their recommendations by the day, giving them feedback on yesterday's skis to help them recommend tomorrows.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@franga, worth a chat to spyderjon at https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/tcpdf/contact-us
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mjit wrote:
I don't think picking them up in a shop will actually tell you much, ideally you want to ski on them. Having done a couple of Oktobertests I can tell you it's amazing how different 2 pairs of skis from different manufacturers, looking and feeling much the same in your hands, and aimed at the same segment of the market can feel when you're actually sliding - to the point you'll love one pair as they give you confidence but hate the other and think they're trying to kill you the whole time!

How about picking up some knackered old skis second hand on eBay on the cheap, so you have something to wrap - then when he unwraps them tell him they are just a joke and he's actually going to demo some different skis when you actually go skiing/you'll buy the ones he likes the most at the end of/online after the trip and before your next one?

A lot of shops will have demo skis you can effectivly hire by the day, getting some or all of those hire fees knocked off the purchase price if you go on to buy a pair. Alternatively hire normal skis for the first couple of days, when the hire shops are rushed off their feet with returns/collections, then go back when they are quiet and have time to chat and tell them what sort of ski you're interested in and hire their recommendations by the day, giving them feedback on yesterday's skis to help them recommend tomorrows.

Great idea, I really like this. As someone who started boarding in 1995 I have always “known” what my next board will be. This doesn’t necessarily mean I have always picked up the right one though … We have 3 trips booked starting with a long weekend at PdS in January so we’ll do as you recommend. And if he’s not quite sure after this he can test a couple more options when we’re out in Meribel for a week in February. Thank you, much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IMHO you should buy local, I'd rather go independent but S&R or Brighams will have a good selection.
Ventura in St Helens
Rivington Alpine in Chorley
Outdoor Action in Blackburn.
#shoplocal
#supportlocal
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
franga wrote:
We have 3 trips booked starting with a long weekend at PdS in January so we’ll (test some different skis). And if he’s not quite sure after this he can test a couple more options when we’re out in Meribel for a week in February. Thank you, much appreciated.

Is Meribel a package or driving, either from the UK or in a hire car? If you have a car it could well be worth buying 'for collection' from one of the French online ski sites that have physical shops. Pick them up en route to the resort, ski on them all week, try to work out if you're meant to declare them as you pass through the green channel on your return wink The hard won Brexit tax really adds a chunk to the price if you have them delivered to the UK by and EU retailer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy n netty wrote:
IMHO you should buy local, I'd rather go independent but S&R or Brighams will have a good selection.
Ventura in St Helens
Rivington Alpine in Chorley
Outdoor Action in Blackburn.
#shoplocal
#supportlocal

Thanks - Ventura is a good shout. We’ve used them a few times for servicing and they’ve always done a good job. Just not sure they’ll have a wide enough selection.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mjit wrote:
franga wrote:
We have 3 trips booked starting with a long weekend at PdS in January so we’ll (test some different skis). And if he’s not quite sure after this he can test a couple more options when we’re out in Meribel for a week in February. Thank you, much appreciated.

Is Meribel a package or driving, either from the UK or in a hire car? If you have a car it could well be worth buying 'for collection' from one of the French online ski sites that have physical shops. Pick them up en route to the resort, ski on them all week, try to work out if you're meant to declare them as you pass through the green channel on your return wink The hard won Brexit tax really adds a chunk to the price if you have them delivered to the UK by and EU retailer.

No - we always fly and hire a car. But he’s very very fussy and an excellent skier … he will ultimately go for a good all-mountain ski which he can then pass on to his younger brother - I think the demo option would suit us much better. Thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
franga wrote:
Mjit wrote:
franga wrote:

No - we always fly and hire a car. But he’s very very fussy and an excellent skier … he will ultimately go for a good all-mountain ski which he can then pass on to his younger brother - I think the demo option would suit us much better. Thanks.

I was suggesting demo on the first trip, then buy online/collect on route to the second trip.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy