Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elan Ripstick 96 - All mountain in the alps?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm finding myself skiing often enough now, that it's worth thinking about getting myself a pair of skis. Not so much from a cost saving view, as much as being able to be assured on having the same skis each time and being able to enjoy my own equipment.

A little context, I'm a short boy at about 166cm give or take and weigh around 72kg - 29 years old. I'm quite comfortable skiing on piste on most stuff and I'm beginning to pine for the soft stuff. I've found myself quite enjoying chopping through slush and swinging around in moguls. I want a ski that will still let me enjoying skiing on piste - though not necessarily at warp speed and be able to take on alps snow off the pistes. For now, I'll be looking at venturing into more ski-routes before taking some proper off-piste instruction, with the associated avalanche training (though I have a little training from my other mountain activities).

So to the question in hand. I've found a good deal on a pair of elan ripstick 96's from a couple of years ago (but still new). Am I kidding myself on these skis as a choice for a one-ski quiver? I know a one-ski quiver doesn't really exist in some senses, but I've not got the space and frequency of skiing to justify more skis. If these are too wide or unsuitable for what I might find myself doing (a mix of piste skewing to the ungroomed and hitting the off-piste in whatever condition it happens to be - provided it's not rocks or unsafe)? What might a better ski choice be in the more modest budget range? I've seen models such as the blade optic 92 at a good price too.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not skied the 96s, but have skied the 88s, with a set of pin bindings as a touring set up and they were nice. I think the 96s would do a good job.

Worth noting that with the 88s, and presumably with the 96s, there's a left and a right ski.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think it depends on whether you want a ski that is very decent Off Piste and OK On Piste; or a ski that works very well On, and serviceable Off Piste.

The answer to that may lie in what percentage of your time you intend to spend on each discipline.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Old Fartbag wrote:
I think it depends on whether you want a ski that is very decent Off Piste and OK On Piste; or a ski that works very well On, and serviceable Off Piste.

The answer to that may lie in what percentage of your time you intend to spend on each discipline.

On that, in the OPs position, i'd be more inclined to buy a the perfect pair for on or off piste, and then hire the other one depending on the forecast/conditions.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was delighted with the 96 Ripsticks. I owned a pair for a while then sold because I was tired of the hassle of travelling with them and as an old geezer I am winding down the amount of skiing I do. I hired the same model however in March this year.

My profile is 77 years old, five foot seven and just over 11 stone (sorry I don't do metric). I have skiing off piste for many years.

I think they are great and the nearest thing to an all rounder that I have known. They are asymmetric i.e. there is a left and a right and in powder they tend to feel more like 100 cm ski underfoot.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I tried the original ones back about 6 years ago and found them a bit noodley and while probably a good powder ski, not so great in mixed and hard conditions (168cms, 63kgs, skied quite a bit). My understanding is that more recent models have been rather beefed up.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skied the 96s and the "Black" edition, both skied really well, if the piste is hard pack they won't be as much fun as a full on piste ski but as a one ski quiver I'd say go for it! They're a great fun ski.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
I tried the original ones back about 6 years ago and found them a bit noodley and while probably a good powder ski, not so great in mixed and hard conditions (168cms, 63kgs, skied quite a bit). My understanding is that more recent models have been rather beefed up.

Isn't that something the Black Edition sorted out...albeit at the expense of some playfulness?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@andy n netty, @Old Fartbag, horses for courses obviously. All mountain/single ski for me has for a long time been Mantras or latterly Bonafides.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, but....the question was about Ripsticks????
Not alternatives, just specifically thoughts on Ripsticks...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@andy n netty, and I answered the question from my experience. A bit noodley nd not a wide enough range to be all mountain Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy n netty wrote:

Though, TBF the OP did say he was open to the idea of similarly priced alternatives that might be more suitable.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Never skied the Ripsticks but I service a good number and all their owners luv 'em. I don't think much of their durability though and I won't mount them with a tele binding. Plus ya stuck with left and right footed skis.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Old Fartbag wrote:
andy n netty wrote:

Though, TBF the OP did say he was open to the idea of similarly priced alternatives that might be more suitable.

Tbf he did but if everyone starts chucking alternatives at him we'll be here all season!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Old Fartbag wrote:

I guess I see myself wanting to ski ungroomed snow as much as I can (chop, crud, moguls and hopefully some powder). There will be some piste cruising as my compatriots are generally rather less confident on variable snow than I am, but as long as I won't find myself on my backside the minute I need to use some grip on hard conditions high speed carving performance is not a priority for me.

I'm definitely open to some suggestions on more suitable choices of ski - I'm not really experienced in wider skis (I think 78 is about the widest I skied last year)
latest report
@under a new name, from your history of posting on here I’m making the assumption you’re expert level. There is difference between you and us mere mortals. Very Happy I’m of slight stature too and I find the burly skis drive me - not the other way around. (The Bonafides I tested did anyway).
To the OP. I’m on 92mm Rustler 9s. I find the partial metal in them offers good edge grip and the rocker helps in fresh snow (up to about 25 to 30cm). I’ve not tried the Ripsticks.
snow report
andy n netty wrote:

But the availability of good or even better alternatives is part of the answer about Ripsticks. It’s the difference between ‘they’re a bit noodly but that’s a compromise you make for an all-mountain ski’ and ‘they’re a bit noodly on-piste and X & Y skis do a better job in my experience’.
ski holidays
As always, the best advice is to try a selection.

FWIW. My view is that you are reasonably light at just over 11 stone, so probably a Mid 90mm underfoot ski would work. However, it's also possible that 100mm would give more "help" Off Piste.

I also suspect, something on the more playful end of the spectrum would work best....but that is speculation.

You could do a lot worse than watch these 2 roundups of the best of what's available:

http://youtube.com/v/egeQTQQTWOk

http://youtube.com/v/c6uZlG9PWKI
latest report
[quote="andy n netty"
Tbf he did but if everyone starts chucking alternatives at him we'll be here all season!![/quote]

You haven't really read many SHs kit threads then have you if you're worried that's going to happen Very Happy Twisted Evil (P.S. answer, it'll happen inevitably, and probably be resurrected in 15 years time if we're still here).
snow report

Here's what I think (they left out "great")
ski holidays
@itsLiamFleming,

I've not skied them but from what I've heard and how you describe your level I'd say they would work well. If you've got a good deal I'd say go for it - I suspect you'll like them.
snow conditions
The great secret of skis is that there is no perfect pair.* Generally it's better to get something and get used to them and their capabilities and deficiencies (upping your game as necessary) than agonizing over whether it's the optimum choice. Even better if you're getting them relatively cheaply.

* This of course doesn't prevent me from quiver tinkering to try to get close to an optimal set up for all and any travel.
snow conditions
Thanks for the advice everyone, they certainly sound like skis that might manage what I'm looking for. Alas mantras are probably a little rich for my blood right now(and possibly quite damp for my skill level), so those are out.

Ideally, I'd like to demo some skis, but I think it's a drive down to Leeds for the fridge to do it locally. Otherwise I'll have to wait until I'm out in Flachau in Jan.

It's always challenging resisting my impulse to kit myself out when I see a deal!
latest report
@itsLiamFleming, If you want to take a (small?) risk, I'm with those who think that if you have a good deal on the Ripsticks, they will much more likely than not, work for you.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 25-10-23 18:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

I'll have to wait until I'm out in Flachau in Jan

Then that's just what you'll have to do, obvs. You'll be able to rent various and then buy online unless good deals offered. Almost certainly last years' models to be found.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

I'll have to wait until I'm out in Flachau in Jan

Then that's just what you'll have to do, obvs. You'll be able to rent various and then buy online unless good deals offered. Almost certainly last years' models to be found.

In my experience demo skis gets pretty expensive unless you end up buying from the shop (who will likely knock off the demo charges from your purchase).
latest report
@jedster, yeah, you're right, not the cheapest approach, but one would be making one's best available decision?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@jedster, yeah, you're right, not the cheapest approach, but one would be making one's best available decision?

I honestly think it's a good approach if you are discerning about your equipment and/or thinking about splashing out on expensive kit. If you are on a budget and/or are not yet a very technical skier then looking for a good deal on one of a group of similar skis in a category of ski is probably optimal VFM.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jedster, I can only view this question through my own lens and I am terribly discerning about my kit, to the extent of going without meals and allowing my cat to go feral to acquire the kit I want. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
Another question, I just remeasured myself at 164cm. Obviously elan's recommended length for this particular ski overlaps doesn't it...

I know rockered skis ski a little shorter, but I am erring to the shorter length, accounting for my relatively relaxed skiing approach.

Or would I be shooting myself in the foot here?
snow report
@itsLiamFleming, My last ski purchase 2016 (FFS!) - defo due a new pair (well, I had a new pair last year but someone decided that as I blew my knee and couldn't ski, they were more deserving (complicated)) - tossup between 172 and 180 Bonafides (previously 177 Mantras) - in that particular decision I reckoned the longer skis didn't added much but made things harder work, so little point ...
ski holidays
have a look at the Black Crows Serpo. That ski rails most any groomed snow, is fun in bumpy terrain and skies too easy for how stable it is. Offpiste ist what you can expect from 90mms.
ski holidays
So I've gone ahead and ordered those skis now, I'm already looking forward to giving them a proper test drive! Thanks for the advice everyone, I decided the risk worth the reward.

So, in true clueless fashion I have yet another question:

Since these skis aren't this season, the wax on the skis is almost certainly going to need a refresh and the whole ski a check over. Can anybody recommend a good servicing technician in reasonable distance of Tyne and Wear?

I can't justify the trip to Nottingham to visit the piste office. I want to learn the servicing at some point, but I'm more comfortable giving it a go after the skis are prepped for their first outing.
ski holidays
@itsLiamFleming, just go and ski them. Only take them to a shop for wax if they’re not gliding well.
snow conditions
I got ripsticks two years ago and I love them.
ski holidays
@itsLiamFleming, Iron, wax, plastic scraper. scotchbrite type pad thereafter to buff them. About 10 mins work (with cooling period between). Plenty of online vids. Don't leave the iron sitting in one place on the base but do get it hot enough to get the sksi glistening.
snow report
@itsLiamFlemming just ski them, the wax will be fine. If you're planning on skiing at the big fridge in Leeds, Glide and Slide in Otley will service them for you but waxing them yourself is pretty easy. Edges will be sharp so no need to worry about them.

Cheaper option is wait until in resort and put them in for a wax overnight between ski days.

Also good purchase, I'm 168cm and 61kg and have a set of 94W ripsticks mounted with a touring binding. They are a good one quiver option and easy to ski compared to some of my other skis.
latest report
Different category, but FWIW Al picked out the Elan Ripstick Tour 104 Glen Plake as his 'Touring Ski of the Year' in our latest episode:

http://youtube.com/v/27T1DeqNv0I
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy