Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2023/24 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
@eblunt, there are 3 Belambra hotels in Les Menuires. (Neige et Ciel, Hameau d'Airelles and Les Bruyeres). So parking, and what it looks like Very Happy , will depend on which one you are in!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It’s neigé et ciel .. is that the one in the street view link posted previously?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@eblunt, it is
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have only ever skied in the 3V during Christmas week so I don't have much of a perspective on how it relates queue/congestion wise with the rest of the season. I am now booked to be out there from the 9th-16th March (very exciting) after being advised to avoid the previous week, which is the last week of French half school holidays. Looking at webcams at the moment it looks pretty deserted! So can someone give me an idea of how the french school holidays (half term?) weeks compare with Christmas week and with the 9th-16th March week? (on a scale of 1-10 would Christmas week typically be around 9-10 in terms of number of people and queues?)

Also, are snow conditions as good as they look on the webcams?!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If half term weeks are 11/10 crazy, I think Xmas week is about 7/10 and other non holiday weeks eg mid March are sub 5/10?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First day over us in Val Thorens Lots of sunshine in the morning. Snow is great. Went over to Orelles around lunchtime. Wind was Baltic on the way. Clouded over in the afternoon and very cold. Called it a day and went to watch the cup final. Not snowing yet but forecast for tomorrow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Back yesterday from VT. Fantastic week apart from Thursday which was a white out but grateful for the dump of snow it provided for our last days skiing! Though the slopes were in great condition prior to this with snow fall over night most days.

As busy as expected for a HT so can’t complain about that at all.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowmam, how was orelle side? am over there in a few weeks......
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ajc2260626 wrote:

Didn’t do much of it as it was so cold but the blue Lory run is long and beautiful. Will go back over there before end of week. Only one restaurant where all the lifts converge with burger bar self serve and seated restaurant. Panini for 8.50 large beer €9.
Snowed this morning so had a lie in and went out around 11. Sun came out around lunchtime and we had a fab day. Snow is great plenty of runs to choose from. Lunch in Folie douce. Music was just getting started. Great sax player. Looped around Lac blue and Peclet for the afternoon in the sun.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ajc2260626 wrote:

We popped over (from the Col de Thorens - up VT24) on Friday following Thursday night's snow ... great coverage down to the mid-station. Not very busy despite the great conditions. Lory was immense. Then up to Caron via the Orelle 2 bubble and down the lovely Col de Autzin red.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
With all the Orelle talk I will drop a quick question, I'm heading out to VT on 9th march and despite this being my 3rd time I've never headed over to Orelle, I'm keen to do so this time and pop up to the Sommet Des 3 Vallees. So a couple of questions:

1) What's the best route up to/down into to Orelle from VT central considering some in the group are fairly timid blue skiers at best. Lory seems popular in the above posts?

2) The timid skiers will be left to do a couple of blue runs lower down while the others head up to the top, how spicy are the red runs down from Sommet as a couple in the group would be fine on a tamer red but will get a bit out of their comfort zone if things get particularly steep?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Adam9,
1/ Lory is the prettiest and a gentle ski, the only other blue (Gentianes) is basically a wide path all the way down. Lory is also easier to access. However, the red Mauriennaise off the Grand Fond/Rosael is a great run so it would be a shame not to ski it. What you could do is take the whole group down on Lory, go up the Rosael chair and then split into Mauriennaise and Gentianes back down again. They both come out at the same place and cross over several times.

2/Neither red off Bouchet is particularly steep but both are frequently ice bumps. It's 50/50 as to which one is best on any given day. Be aware that the first 2-300m of Bouchet is the only option off the top before it splits and is frequently pretty icy. It's a few years ago but I can honestly say it's the only piste in the 3Vs I've ever seen 3/4 netted off with a "one skier at a time" sign on it. You can check the 3V app daily to see which runs have been pisted - today Bouchet hasn't but Coraia has, so that would be the one to take after the split. Both blues off Peyron are pleasant and usually pisted daily. Slower skiers will have to punt back to the lift off Peyron but not Croix. Peyron is a great carving slope.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
@Adam9,
1/ Lory is the prettiest and a gentle ski, the only other blue (Gentianes) is basically a wide path all the way down. Lory is also easier to access. However, the red Mauriennaise off the Grand Fond/Rosael is a great run so it would be a shame not to ski it. What you could do is take the whole group down on Lory, go up the Rosael chair and then split into Mauriennaise and Gentianes back down again. They both come out at the same place and cross over several times.

2/Neither red off Bouchet is particularly steep but both are frequently ice bumps. It's 50/50 as to which one is best on any given day. Be aware that the first 2-300m of Bouchet is the only option off the top before it splits and is frequently pretty icy. It's a few years ago but I can honestly say it's the only piste in the 3Vs I've ever seen 3/4 netted off with a "one skier at a time" sign on it. You can check the 3V app daily to see which runs have been pisted - today Bouchet hasn't but Coraia has, so that would be the one to take after the split. Both blues off Peyron are pleasant and usually pisted daily. Slower skiers will have to punt back to the lift off Peyron but not Croix. Peyron is a great carving slope.

This is exactly what I was after, thank so much!

The best route up to the top of Lorry from VT seems like Les 2 lacs chair->Portette chair -> Thorens Gondola, does that sound about right?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Adam9 wrote:
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
@Adam9,

This is exactly what I was after, thank so much!

The best route up to the top of Lorry from VT seems like Les 2 lacs chair->Portette chair -> Thorens Gondola, does that sound about right?

Yes.

Granted ... it'd be nice to tick Orelle off your list but don't overlook the following superb blues either :

- Genepi
- Moraine
- Tete Ronde
- Tetras (and anything off the Boismint and Plan de l'Eau chairs)
ski holidays
Adam9 wrote:

Yes, that'll work but you can also get to Portette off Cascades if you turn right off the chair and stay hard left onto the green path. Queues at Cascades are usually shorter as long as they've opened both loading gates.
latest report
franga wrote:

Yes.

Granted ... it'd be nice to tick Orelle off your list but don't overlook the following superb blues either :

- Genepi
- Moraine
- Tete Ronde
- Tetras (and anything off the Boismint and Plan de l'Eau chairs)

Thanks, we're there for 6 days of skiing/snowboarding so think Orelle will just be a morning jaunt to tick off the list. I've hit most of the rest of the runs in VT over the last few years including these but it's certainly useful to know a few top picks to point people towards as I never remember the names!
latest report
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Adam9 wrote:

Yes, that'll work but you can also get to Portette off Cascades if you turn right off the chair and stay hard left onto the green path. Queues at Cascades are usually shorter as long as they've opened both loading gates.

Thanks!
snow report
So, Monday is looking like it might be quite good. Subject to usual concerns about avalanche risk etc, is anyone up for a few turns off piste? I'm about for the morning. I'd be looking to play it fairly safe. I'm staying in VT.
snow report
Hi all, does anyone have any recommendations for an instructor (preferably female) in Les Menuires? Looking to book some private lessons for a nervous intermediate skier.
snow report
Sorry no specific recommendation but I've skied with 2 male instructors from Marmalade, both were great, they do appear to have female instructors:

https://www.skimarmalade.com/about-us/meet-the-team/
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
Hi all, does anyone have any recommendations for an instructor (preferably female) in Les Menuires? Looking to book some private lessons for a nervous intermediate skier.

Last Easter a Les 3 Vallées expert here recommended Prosneige for my nervous skier wife for one or two one-guest private lessons, it was transformative. We were in nearby VT. It was a male instructor, but I’m sure there’ll be females.
ski holidays
@fixx, Millie Kerr from marmalade is great provided your intermediate is flexible about what valley they ski in.
latest report
Teen daughter wants to learn to snowboard this Easter. Any instructor recommendations for VT please?
snow report
@Snowmadmum, My wife really enjoyed her beginner lessons with Sandrine from the ESF and is thinking of speaking to her again for the EOSB.

She did remind us of Dascha from Killing Eve too Laughing
latest report
fixx wrote:

What dates are you looking for? My partner Zoe may be available.
ski holidays
Whiteout today in VT. We have had a great week yesterday bluebird day went over to Meribel great snow everywhere up high. Off piste tracked out but great variety to choose from. Have had a great week. Snowing on and off all day today and overnight. Very fine snow but accumulating slowly.
snow conditions
Thanks @leggyblonde, will seek her out!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How is the snow looking for any folks currently out in the 3V? Just booked a last minute one to Méribel for Saturday! Eh oh!
snow conditions
Interested to hear how things are currently too. Looking to get out first week of April and weighing up 3V (probably Courchevel 1650) or Val d'Isere or somewhere else if we find anything and conditions are expected to be better nearer the time. We are trying to be patient which is difficult and options keep disappearing!
snow conditions
Unless you can travel on a couple of days notice after a big dump, there is no point in wondering about the weather. I can't count the number of times On The Snow has got the forecast wrong. The resorts tend to forecast one day in advance, max, and even then its wrong half the time. There was someone on the North America thread a month ago asking if they should take the financial hit of canceling their trip to Whistler on 2 March. How could they know that the 29 February would bring the dump of the decade. Check this out.

http://youtube.com/v/q4KTFZCwq7w

The camera catches a terrible fall at 14:10. Some idiot may have ruined his life because he tried to ski like Candide Theroux.

@Moorzee10, I'm in Meribel from Sunday and hoping for powder high up and I'll trade the quality of the lower slopes for warm sunshine and a long lunch at an open air restaurant.
ski holidays
The big question is whether, after all the recent snow, the temps will stay low enough to maintain the snow until Easter esp in the lower 3V resorts. The answer, of course, is no one knows. But here's hoping Toofy Grin
snow report
@Moorzee10, I'm in Meribel from Sunday and hoping for powder high up and I'll trade the quality of the lower slopes for warm sunshine and a long lunch at an open air restaurant.[/quote]

@ronniescott might see you on the slopes!
snow report
not my image...or text

First skiers down Combe Vallon after fresh snow fall. It may have been poor visibility for first three quarters but that stopped anyone catching up

snow report
Does anyone know what the conditions are like in the Courchevel couloirs at the moment?
snow conditions
@TJ1, on the other side of Saulire, the Tournier couloir was open yesterday, looked alright from the bubble and a few people on it
ski holidays
Got to Les Menuires lunchtime yesterday. (Sat 8th March)
High winds in Les Men & VT yesterday so 3V links shut. Lots of wind overnight.
Not much show in St Martin. (Other than on piste from the snow cannons) on drive through.

Les Men and Point De La Masse look decent for snow.
snow conditions
It’s currently lightly snowing in Les Men.
snow conditions
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
Got to Les Menuires lunchtime yesterday. (Sat 8th March)
High winds in Les Men & VT yesterday so 3V links shut. Lots of wind overnight.
Not much show in St Martin. (Other than on piste from the snow cannons) on drive through.

Les Men and Point De La Masse look decent for snow.

Thanks for the info. We’re there next week. Staying in Reberty 2000
latest report
Let us know how the snow is in LM, we are staying in Reberty in 3 wks, a photo of piste in region of ESF meeting point / Kaya hotel would be amazing. Have a great trip!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy