Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Options for skiing solo?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads, I’m looking for options for skiing in Jan/feb/early march 24, I’ll be joining solo so would like to be part of a group, ideally that includes some folk also joining on their own. Some of the options I’ve looked at have said they are for older folk 60+ (I’m 41). Have been looking at Club Med…as they offer group guiding and lots of facilities, but have never been to their resorts before so I would love any suggestions as it’s my first time skiing solo (have done q a bit of skiing with others over the years). Many thanks in advance! Olivia
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Join a snowheads bash

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=164776
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, definitely a snowheads Bash if any of the dates suit you. A unique formula. Or a coaching week could work well. For example https://www.insideoutskiing.com/ Highly recommended. Great tuition, sociable group, always other solos.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Singlesports have a number of ski holidays that would be perfect for you.

https://www.singlesport.com/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've skied solo all over, and my best times have always been in Japan. Friendly, but also culturally good/refreshing as so many Asian couples happily holiday apart. Club Med have lots of options on Hokkaido - see Tomamu etc. I'd consider Powder Recon too - excellent on the mainland, and based at Myoko (fly to Tokyo) with lodge, guiding, friendly atmosphere. See https://www.powder-recon.com.au
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A lot of it depends on what kind of skiing you want to do, with what kinds of groups. I’m also 41, & these are some of the things I’ve done recently, &/or am planning on or thinking about doing. When I’m looking for trips, it’s usually because I want people to share the costs of instruction or guiding with; if airport transfers or similar are included then so much the better.

Most recently, I went on a UCPA advanced off-piste week in Val Thorens, and had a great time. Really nice group to ski with, age range c.30-60 (two Swedes, a Kiwi, two Belgians, one French, myself), we socialized together and with others at the Centre. Excellent value, good food for the price. Cheap and cheerful accommodation (4 in a relatively small bunkroom). The Ben’s Bus transfer stops right outside the Centre, so it’s easy and cheap to get to from GVA, even on your own, at least on a Saturday. Will likely do another trip or two this season, although not necessarily to the same centre.

@pam w has mentioned Inside Out up-thread: I’m booked on their Season Opener and Technical Tune-Up in Meribel in December. My first trip(s) with Inside Out, and I’m very much looking forward to it. Focussed coaching with video review. & the course has booked a chalet, with optional transfers, so I imagine it’ll be pleasantly sociable as well.

I’ve also done a couple of SCGB trips: an early-season instruction weekend in Tignes, and a guided off-piste week in Alagna. These were good, if pricey, although not necessarily poor value. For example, the Tignes weekend included return transfers from GVA, 3 (well, 2.5) days of exceptional group instruction (from Rab and India at NewGen), both of which would have been a lot more expensive if arranged privately for a smaller group. However, my expectation of something one could reasonably call a club is that because of the club’s resources, preferential deals etc. you would pay a bit less (or at least, not much more) than you would pay if you got a group together yourself—this was emphatically not the case (presumably because of the costs of staffing the London office and the need to cover the accommodation of the rep on the trip), which leaves me asking what it is that makes the SCGB a club in any meaningful sense. There were also a few things on the part of the club’s organization that left something of a sour aftertaste, which I’m happy to talk about if anyone’s interested, but don’t want to hijack the thread with yet more SCGB complaints. But they were good, and the guiding and instruction top-notch. The groups were pleasant enough, and I’ve met people I’m still in touch with and would (and will) gladly ski with again, although they definitely also had a higher quota of, erm—shall we say, of a certain kind of character?—than I’ve seen elsewhere. But it’s a ready-made English-speaking group, which is an advantage for some anglophones. tl;dr: I’d go on another SCGB trip, if the right thing came up over the right dates, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to, and would try or revisit other things first.

The other thing on my radar is a Snoworks trip: they look great. A slight disadvantage for me over some of the others is that it doesn’t seem to be as easy to arrange twin accommodation for solo travellers (if that’s your thing) or shared transfers. But I don’t think that’s an insoluble problem, and I imagine posting a topic on here asking if anyone else was interested in that particular course might have a good chance of success.

This isn’t a comprehensive list, and it’s very much tailored to my preferences: intensive work on technical improvement on-piste, and increasing the range of things I can do comfortably off-piste. If you’re looking for more ‘social skiing’, options might be better. I’m also not at all averse to getting a group of people together (some combination of friends of friends and people from here, perhaps), although it seems to me that the groups of that kind that arise on this board also tend to be closer to 60 than 40.

Anyway, I’ll also be looking at the replies on this thread for inspiration. @wiigman, I’d love to hear more about your trips, in Japan and elsewhere!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@oliviamarcia, snowHeads bash all day long if the dates suit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@oliviamarcia, another option to take a look at is hofnar.com - the short version is they hire a couple of 12/13 bed chalets in Morzine then sell individual beds back to solo travellers, sharing single beds in either twin or tripple rooms. On top of the holiday cost you just book your flights to Geneva/a €100 return shared minibus transfer/ski hire if you need it.

I've used them many time, and in fact already have them booked for 2 solo weeks this season and generally it's solo travellers, with the occasional couple. You avoid single room suppliments and have people to share dinner/evenings with as well as people to ski with, if you want (but if you want to do your own thing you just say so and everyone will just say "OK, see you back at the chalet then.").
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Snowheads bashes I've done had a considerable range of age but age really didn't seem to matter in any way. It was just totally irrelevant.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mjit wrote:
@oliviamarcia, another option to take a look at is hofnar.com - the short version is they hire a couple of 12/13 bed chalets in Morzine then sell individual beds back to solo travellers, sharing single beds in either twin or tripple rooms. On top of the holiday cost you just book your flights to Geneva/a €100 return shared minibus transfer/ski hire if you need it.

I've used them many time, and in fact already have them booked for 2 solo weeks this season and generally it's solo travellers, with the occasional couple. You avoid single room suppliments and have people to share dinner/evenings with as well as people to ski with, if you want (but if you want to do your own thing you just say so and everyone will just say "OK, see you back at the chalet then.").

Oooh, this looks great, and I'd not heard of these: will check them out. What sort of mix of ski levels do you get on the trips, and is it all English-speaking?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JayRo wrote:
Mjit wrote:

Oooh, this looks great, and I'd not heard of these: will check them out. What sort of mix of ski levels do you get on the trips, and is it all English-speaking?

English is the most common language, both amongst the guests, company owner, and these days generally Irish passport holding chalet hosts.

As for ski level, outside of the dedicated "Beginners and Improvers" and some of the "Off Piste" weeks there's really no guide as every week is a different melting pot of people. What I would say is there will be at least one other person who wants the same balance of; green/blue/red/black slope, ski time to coffee time, minimum turn to maximum turns, go out for beers/stay in for beers/read a book and go to bed as you. Some week's everyone's about the same level/same mindset and you all ski as a pack the whole week, other times you have a split of 'first lift' and 'La Paradis disco till 3am' groups. Generally you get up for breakfast when you want. If that's early you'll generally get a group who set off before the rest, then there's a main pack who follow 15min later, and worst case you get up to an empty chalet, a note telling you to help yourself to breakfast and a direction/meet point for lunch if you don't run into anyone before.

Oh, and to be clear at heart these are "solo" ski weeks, as opposed to "singles" ones Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mjit wrote:
As for ski level, outside of the dedicated "Beginners and Improvers" and some of the "Off Piste" weeks there's really no guide as every week is a different melting pot of people. What I would say is there will be at least one other person who wants the same balance of; green/blue/red/black slope, ski time to coffee time, minimum turn to maximum turns, go out for beers/stay in for beers/read a book and go to bed as you. Some week's everyone's about the same level/same mindset and you all ski as a pack the whole week, other times you have a split of 'first lift' and 'La Paradis disco till 3am' groups. Generally you get up for breakfast when you want. If that's early you'll generally get a group who set off before the rest, then there's a main pack who follow 15min later, and worst case you get up to an empty chalet, a note telling you to help yourself to breakfast and a direction/meet point for lunch if you don't run into anyone before.

Oh, and to be clear at heart these are "solo" ski weeks, as opposed to "singles" ones Very Happy

Thank you: that's both great to hear, and (more importantly) a really clear, helpful description of what to expect!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That bit about 'solo' vv 'singles' made me laugh. Finding a decent/fun/similarly skilled person to ski with is hard enough, with all the extra excitements!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JayRo there's a lot to bore on about re Japan (ever been?) as I also did a bullet train/two-week JR rail pass thingy, which is a bit of a swine logistically on your own - but amazing to look back on. And you can knock off many resorts. It's just making the train meet the free resorts shuttle each way that causes head explosion. If ever doing it, shout for info. Or for a taste:
https://www.fall-line.co.uk/one-lift-for-the-rest-of-your-life-sanroku-sancho-ropeway/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@wiigman, its easy peasy on a bash
ski holidays
Quote:

sharing single beds in either twin or tripple rooms.

That sounds a bit of a squash
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
@oliviamarcia, ...another option to take a look at is hofnar.com - the short version is they hire a couple of 12/13 bed chalets in Morzine then sell individual beds back to solo travellers, sharing single beds in either twin or tripple rooms. ....
Cosy! Very Happy
snow conditions
@oliviamarcia, you could look for a late deal in a catered chalet. (Late meaning probably less chance of being stung with a big single supplement). Whenever our group hasn't filled a chalet we've often skied with whoever takes the last one or two rooms. Get chatting over dinner: where you plan to go tomorrow, or where you skied today. If of similar ability people are often happy to group up.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
@wiigman, its easy peasy on a bash
Snowheads in Japan? Now there's a bash to sign up for!
ski holidays
JayRo wrote:
although it seems to me that the groups of that kind that arise on this board also tend to be closer to 60 than 40.
I'd be interested to know what your assumption is based on?
snow report
admin wrote:
JayRo wrote:
although it seems to me that the groups of that kind that arise on this board also tend to be closer to 60 than 40.

Impression (highly fallible) based on my (equally fallible) perception/recollection of threads such as this over the last year or so.
snow conditions
@oliviamarcia, hey. I’ve done both as a solo skier and can highly recommend both the bashes here (any of them!) and also inside out ski trips. Feel free to msg me if you have any specific questions.
snow report
JayRo wrote:
admin wrote:
JayRo wrote:

Impression (highly fallible) based on my (equally fallible) perception/recollection of threads such as this over the last year or so.

But that's not a snowHead bashes. It's a (very) few member organising their own trip. For 3-4 strangers getting together to travel/stay together, age may be a relevant factor.

Whereas a bash will be between 50-150+ members depending on the bash. Yes, there'll be 60yr olds as well as 20's and everything in between. ...and a few 70+80's, some of who will ski you off the mountain. Laughing
snow report
adithorp wrote:
JayRo wrote:
admin wrote:
JayRo wrote:

But that's not a snowHead bashes. It's a (very) few member organising their own trip. For 3-4 strangers getting together to travel/stay together, age may be a relevant factor.

Yes, wasn't it obvious that I was talking about that kind of trip rather than about the bashes? I had just talked about 'getting a group of people together (some combination of friends of friends and people from here, perhaps)'.
latest report
JayRo wrote:

Yes, wasn't it obvious that I was talking about that kind of trip rather than about the bashes? I had just talked about 'getting a group of people together (some combination of friends of friends and people from here, perhaps)'.

Sorry, I must misunderstood and conflated it based on your second post mentioning trips with UCPA, SKUK, InsideOut, Snoworks
snow conditions
adithorp wrote:
Sorry, I must misunderstood and conflated it based on your second post mentioning trips with UCPA, SKUK, InsideOut, Snoworks

No worries, and I could perhaps have been clearer that I wasn't talking about bashes, which look great (not to mention incredible value), if they're your kind of thing, and if you can make the dates. (I do confess, though, that I'm somewhat confused by the willingness of certain posters to shout 'JUST GO ON A BASH' at absolutely anyone looking for advice as to where to go, regardless of whether there's a bash that actually meets their needs, like the poor guy looking to ski in mid-January!)
ski holidays
Could we have a Bash-type UK social/half a shandy one day? In Manchester/the north? I can never make the tests at Chill Factore.
snow report
Sorry, that's totally off topic... so we would obviously advise on options for Solo Skiing at said meeting.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I ski with a group of singles. We share rooms to save on cost. This year we (15 of us)are going to Beret Barqueira in Spain on 14th Jan and have a spare spot available because of a late withdrawal due to a medical problem. We are a mixed group in ability and age from low intermediate to really good, 25-73, a mix of male and female. Cost is about £850 plus lift pass flying from Manchester or Gatwick. PM me if interested. Check out the resort and hotel on Ski Miquel.
snow report
As already mentioned, the Bashes are super for solo skiiers. Also, just another shout-out for UCPA, but highly recommend the specific solo weeks which are:

UCPA Val Thorens NY week starting at UCPA on 30th December 2023
UCPA Tignes week starting 20th January 2024
UCPA Chamonix week starting 24th February 2024
UCPA Val Thorens week starting 16th of March 2024

More info: https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/holiday-types/solo-travellers/

(I'll be at the Tignes and Val Thorens ones with a few friends - trying to cram as many UCPA ones in before I hit the age 45 cut-off Toofy Grin )
snow report
Dear SH community,
thank you all *so* much for all these responses, hugely appreciated. There was so much there in the threads you’ve given me / all of us a pHD in skiing options! Now just need to narrow it down…… and be great to connect with some of you if I do make it to one of these infamous bashes! Thanks again, Olivia
ski holidays
@oliviamarcia, coming to this a few days late, but would also add a recomendation for UCPA, have done several of their trips - just note that they are _predominantly_ (but not totally), aimed at 'young' people - talk to their UK agents Action Outdoors (as @sambatamba mentions). The 'off-piste' trips in particular are more flexible on age - and I've certainly done them at 40+. Very good social mix!
Would also suggest SCGB Freshtracks - notwithstanding the other comments, the main advantage of those trips is that they are 'ability-graded' - this may not be your priority, but if you _do_ want to ski with 'similar ability' for the entire trip, this is really their main focus.
[url=]https://www.skiclub.co.uk/holidays/our-concept/[/url]
otherwise pick an SCGB repped resort, there'll be someone to show you round / book lunches etc, but the ability level varies by day...

Do let us know what you plan!
latest report
One last suggestion: The Ski Gathering do solos ski/board holidays to chalets and hotels in France, Austria and Italy. I've booked onto a short break holiday to Morzine with them in January. First time, so I can't review them personally yet!
snow report
Ski Club of Great Britain would be worth a look, range of options from holidays to skiing in groups in resort
latest report
wiigman wrote:
I've skied solo all over, and my best times have always been in Japan. Friendly, but also culturally good/refreshing as so many Asian couples happily holiday apart. Club Med have lots of options on Hokkaido - see Tomamu etc. I'd consider Powder Recon too - excellent on the mainland, and based at Myoko (fly to Tokyo) with lodge, guiding, friendly atmosphere. See https://www.powder-recon.com.au

But couple onsen (family-onsen) is hard to find these days. Sad
I retun to our place in Shiga. A lot was booked out, so
Mrs and Mr Hyst go on ski from hotel to hotel.
(Old people's adventures) Madeye-Smiley
And there will be no Bash there this year. Toofy Grin
(Never been to a bash) Sad
snow report
@oliviamarcia, ,I’m off to 3valleys 27th Jan solo,good skier happy to meet
snow conditions
Take a non-aspirational jacket. E.g Dare2B or something from Decathlon.
ski holidays
@oliviamarcia, I hope you have a great holiday, whatever happens. Just like I found, (I was one of the over 60s you mentioned) you've had loads of helpful suggestions and kind offers.
Derek
snow conditions
Thanks again all for all these amazing suggestions. Wondering why I hadn’t discovered this fabulous community before Wink

I’m now booked onto the birthday bash, coming from bristol (tho poss via london depending on flights). Look forward to meeting some of you there. Can’t wait! xOlivia
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy