Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smart Goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Hello! I am designing a pair of ski goggles which will have some smart features but i need help prioritising and gauging the market. Please fill in my survey if you have time. Thank you!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/CS698YC
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
speech to text translation please. I want to know what it is exactly the angry frenchman is shouting at me
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's been done. No one needs them from a mass market perspective. Specific problems are battery life in the cold, expensive tech in an easily breakable, misplaced, stolen bit of kit.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is this a Uni or College project?

Okay, so battery needs to last all day. Although maybe an interchangeable battery, i.e. swap over at lunchtime.

Information needs to be configurable, i.e. speed, distance travelled, elevation, top speed, most distance travelled in a day, number of pistes

It needs to work out when you are on a lift and be able to reduce power use.

Maps/Navigation.. I think these are on one of the more recent Goggles.

I've had the Zeal ones, they were good fun, but of course don't work anymore.

Longevity, if you're paying a premium you don't want to be buying a new pair every year or every 2 years.

App/Logging of data.. For analysis and comparison.

Look at Garmin, with their ski tracking and then connecting to Strava and Fatmaps, for a flyover of your journey Smile

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 20-10-23 11:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
for why?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I want a HUD that lets me target nervous skiers with my snowboard
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@finlay3538, Done
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thank you !
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eps wrote:
Is this a Uni or College project?

Okay, so battery needs to last all day. Although maybe an interchangeable battery, i.e. swap over at lunchtime.

Information needs to be configurable, i.e. speed, distance travelled, elevation, top speed, most distance travelled in a day, number of pistes

It needs to work out when you are on a lift and be able to reduce power use.

Maps/Navigation.. I think these are on one of the more recent Goggles.

I've had the Zeal ones, they were good fun, but of course don't work anymore.

Longevity, if you're paying a premium you don't want to be buying a new pair every year or every 2 years.

App/Logging of data.. For analysis and comparison.

Look at Garmin, with their ski tracking and then connecting to Strava and Fatmaps, for a flyover of your journey Smile

It is for a university project! I am currently focusing on the anti fogging of the lenses being 'active' instead of traditional sprays or treatments and i would really like to merge the smartwatch world with the ski goggle as it would provide constant access to speed, temp, heart rate etc which as an athlete is useful but as a general consumer its quite interesting to have. Linking with apps like strava would be the end goal to help integrate with what's already out there. In terms of battery i'm experimenting with slowing the use of battery by having solar lens rims, instead of them charging the device they're more of a supplement to help provide more than just a single days use. I really appreciate the response Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A solution to no obvious problem...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was thinking whatever you do you should integrate it with a smart phone. That would make it easier for you to compensate for Gored's poor education wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep, solar charging to improve the battery life is a great thing to consider. My Garmin has that, although it only helps to top up a bit.

Check the Zeal, Oakley and Rekkie offerings.

I think Zeal and Oakley had the same innards. Admittedly those two were from a few years ago.

The other thing to do would be to massively reduce the power consumption. Although that tech might not even exist yet. i.e. even LEDs etc.. use too much power.

Temp + Heart Rate could be interesting, but low down on my list.

Number one would be speed. Then Elevation.

Mapping/Navigation would be good but potentially power hungry.

The display of the information would be quite interesting to investigate.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not looked at the survey yet, but might do when home.

Garmin solar bit on the bike computers is pretty much pointless from what I've seen in reviews. Something like 10% extra life if you ride in the Australian summer day time, and 0% riding at night.
But then goggles have a much larger surface area potentially.

I want goggles to be smart enough to make it possible to see in fog, and have HUD with directions of where to go. If it's got voice control and can tell me the best rifugios to go to, then even better.

Don't care about real time stats. I get the stats off the watch at the end of the day. I'd rather not have punters who think they can ski like a FIS pro, on a blue run, staring at the stats in their goggles.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
A solution to no obvious problem...

I tend to agree. But for the sake of the thread...

You might want to also look at form swim goggles for some inspiration.

Quote:

speed, temp, heart rate etc which as an athlete is useful but as a general consumer its quite interesting to have.

Consumer has no use for HR. Even for downhill athletes it's pretty useless, you are not going to speed up or slow down based on HR. HR is useful for cross country and touring, but they don't typically wear goggles!

Temp is also pretty useless. If your cold put on more clothes, if your too hot take some off. How you feel doesn't necessarily correlate perfectly with temperature.

Real time speed is pretty useless for athletes. For the average skier it's probably bordering on dangerous, as people try to beat their old record and it takes away some concentration on looking ahead.

Navigation seems like the best use of the potential tech. But even then I think audio is better than visual, as you can keep your eyes focused ahead.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hang11 wrote:
I want a HUD that lets me target nervous skiers with my snowboard
I'm disappointed, I thought that was already hard coded into every boarder's DNA along with a compulsion to sit in the middle of slopes just behind every hill crest.. NehNeh
snow report
Survey completed.

But as others have said, and speaking as an engineer you seem to have come up with a solution and are now looking for a problem it can fix, rather than identifying a problem and working out a solution. Perhaps expand/create a second survey focused on people's 'ski vision' needs/issues, and including space for user entered "Other" values.

For me for example fogging and prescription inserts are my primary concerns. You ask if anti-fogging is important and I'd imagine it is for almost everyone, I mean who would buy goggles designed to fog up? You don't ask why/when/what sort of fogging issues people currently suffer from.

Also based on the feedback already posted some form of HUD navigation would be popular, something I'd also be interested in - but input you're only getting from us discussing your survey in this thread, not from your survey responses.

For a problem how about the fact controlling things is a PITA with gloves on and I don't know (mainly as I hate it so don't use it) but would guess voice recognition struggles to understand people's muffled voices through a snood. So maybe a stereo pair of cameras in the goggle frames that can be activated with a tap on the side of the goggle and give you a HUD you can control with basic, gloved and ideally ski pole holding hand gestures in front of your face?
ski holidays
Various companies, large and small, have made heated goggles and binned them. Google made glasses with a HUD and binned them.

For a project it is good experience to do it because you will learn how to assess a market and design a product.

However in the commercial world you assess a need before making a product unless the product is something that is a market changing device.
latest report
Survey done
snow report
Niche, expensive product for ski nerds.

Most folks want to checkout the mountain scenery and hot ski moms.

They don't want to be staring at a map or their heartrate.

Only about ~2% of all people on the planet today own a smartwatch.

Smartgoggles are very niche.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy