Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What we got for ‘24 ski calendars?

Poster: A snowHead
Last year we had a vintage ski prints one, which was nice but I don’t want a rehash of the same next year but struggling to find much out there that isn’t just generic cheese.

I’m thinking of something like the beautiful shots Jess Stock used to take. Ha! Showing my age now Cool
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll show my age too, by wishing Pirelli made one.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think I've seen a calendar this century, but I suppose they still make them.
You missed the Powder Magazine photo annual which sold out within minutes the other day.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm thinking of doing one, if I get enough interest. Combination of skiing shots and landscapes.

It won't be Powder Magazine-level shots, I don't have the luxury of skiing those conditions with those skiers winter after winter, but I gathered a few good shots over the years and perhaps snowheads will find it interesting enough. Oh, and while I may want to to a Pirelli-style one, I don't think kolkie would approve.

If I do it, it will be at cost or with a small profit that would go to charity. I'll have to figure out logistics, though (any suggestions for printing welcome).

Here is an initial gallery, I need to add more recent shots to it and then select 12+1, but those are not online yet, will do it tonight or tomorrow.

Let me know if there's interest.

https://cedricpopa.zenfolio.com/p964542214
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
phil_w wrote:
I don't think I've seen a calendar this century, but I suppose they still make them.

Just had one dropped off with our last heating oil delivery and all the agricultural dealers around here give them out too. Some are still in a Pirelli / Page 3 style! Sometimes I wonder if rural Derbyshire is on a different timezone - like 30yrs different...

But I'd have one of those @horizon - nice work.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Doing anything with photos in them is getting tricky these days with rigid enforcement of IPR and permission of the person in the photograph. I would love a calender of Samivel posters.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do a calender each year for close friends and family based on landscapes I've taken. Feedback is that people much prefer a wall portrait format, monthly, with a photo' at the top and usable days in two colums below i.e. enough space to write appointments in. Formats with just a small line of dates etc aren't as useful. Even with electronic calendars on their mobiles, people have said that they like the 'column' format wall calendar because they can easily get a good overview of what's coming up over time.

One thing I have found is that while many of the photo sites have a calendar function, some (like Photobox) don't let you annotate the monthly photo (other than embedding it in the JPG using an editor), which is annoying. Some also don't have the 'column' format I've described. I currently use Snapfish because they allow annotated calendar photos. They actually have a 50% discount running on calendars at the moment, until 22nd. Oct.

I do a full-price test version in Oct/Nov and then wait for their discount offer nearer to Christmas to do the rest. If you're planning on a number of calendars, I've found that it's best to do a test one first as sometimes the printed version doesn't come out as well as it looks on a screen and if I'm annotating, however much I re-check on the screen, a typing error that stands out on paper will still get through.

One thing that I've found is that some of my best winter photo's which definitely look good in a large format don't look so great when they're smaller and that some rather ordinary-looking shots work really well as part of calendar, for example:

the photo is a bit unpreposessing but anyone who's stayed in our apartment (almost all of the calendar recipients) will have had a vin chaud and tarte aux pommes at this mountain buvette in the 4 Vallées. So it has a happy association for them.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 19-10-23 14:18; edited 10 times in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use MS Outlook, no photos but they're not too far away on my iphone. Seems to work.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Oh yes -our household wouldn't function without the kitchen calendar. Only easy consolidated view of what we're all upto
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We even use Tipp-EX with ours, of necessity. Interestingly, in our house, the wall calendar has slowly become the primary source for coordinating activities. A paper version of a shared electronic calendar, but without the technical challenges and security issues.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just found out we've got a 2024 calendar waiting to go up in the kitchen in 2 and a bit months time, Springer Spaniels. Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I help make one each year for a car forum. People post up pics of their cars, I request hi res of the top 12, a photoshop guy cleans them up and lays them into a calendar template, we order them from an online site, a third chap does the money collection and envelope stuffing and mailout. About £13 each including recorded delivery, 50-100 orders per year, profits sent back to webbie to help run the forum. Calendar is A4 vertical with A5 landscape pic on top and 30 days under; some space to write but not much. But bigger would mean mailing difficulties.

It seems popular enough.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I love a calendar! Rule in our house (often flouted) is if you’ve committed to something and it’s written on the calendar, it can’t be bumped by the other person getting a better offer Laughing

Really I should get on to a family google calendar, but it’s so much easier to glance at the calendar on the wall.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just use Photobox - easy, cheap, good space for writing stuff in. I like having my own images.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
horizon wrote:
I'm thinking of doing one, if I get enough interest. Combination of skiing shots and landscapes.

It won't be Powder Magazine-level shots, I don't have the luxury of skiing those conditions with those skiers winter after winter, but I gathered a few good shots over the years and perhaps snowheads will find it interesting enough. Oh, and while I may want to to a Pirelli-style one, I don't think kolkie would approve.

If I do it, it will be at cost or with a small profit that would go to charity. I'll have to figure out logistics, though (any suggestions for printing welcome).

Here is an initial gallery, I need to add more recent shots to it and then select 12+1, but those are not online yet, will do it tonight or tomorrow.

Let me know if there's interest.

https://cedricpopa.zenfolio.com/p964542214

Fabulous collection

La Grave at night v5 and Dolomites Dawn 2 the highlights seem too bright on my monitor
Le Glacier the overall exposure seems too high
ski holidays
If you are adjusting images on a computer it will display as RGB but when printed it will be CMYK.

Blues were a problem when we printed our posters.

I believe some graphics programs have a mimic CMYK in their tools.
ski holidays
Yes, that’s what I meant when I said that photos don’t always come out on paper as they appear on screen, plus, paper simply can’t render the same range of shades as on the screen so printed images can look a bit flat. That’s why a single test calendar first isn’t a bad idea. I also found that sometimes shots that look great in large format can look disappointing if the printed image is relatively small.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy