Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

niseko beginner skiing in march for 2 weeks

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
is the snow in march optimal for beginner ski practice? or should i go in end february? want to avoid the huge crowds as much as possible

should i stay the entire 2 weeks in niseko for beginner ski lessons or should i switch to another nearby resort midway through? i have to start in niseko as im getting custom boots

which ski school would you recommend for beginners in niseko?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which resort?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grand hirafu / hanazono. Or maybe nisekdo village
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ski9, Just asking, where are you based? Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hirafu, in Mar.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hyst wrote:
@ski9, Just asking, where are you based? Puzzled

A country that is summer the entire year. How do u @ a user?

@whitegold hanazono isn't recommended? I would like to rotate between the ski schools in grand hirafu and hanazono and see which one is better
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been a few years, but Hanazono looked after me very well. Joe Sugano, now running the show there, took me out on three days and was superb. He understands what skiers trying to get going/learn/improve need, and IMHO Hanazono better for learning there than anywhere else at Niseko United. Due to the slopes and the staff...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ski9

I'm not sure you will be in a position to gauge which ski school is better. If you could clone yourself and send each clone to a different ski school at the same time, sure. But as an absolute beginner, you will be doing different things each day + depending on your level of fitness, what you perceive as "bad teaching" might just be your legs getting really tired after skiing in a wedge for a couple of hours. Tired legs will make it more difficult for you to follow *any* instructor.

Plus, your perception of the quality of your instruction can be a function of conditions. (You have the right instinct to avoid busy times!) As things warm up, beginner slopes at village level are often vulnerable to a freeze-melt cycle that leaves them really hard & icy in the morning. On paper, Feb would be safer but with increasing weather volatility due to global warming, things have become less predictable.

Also, you will make more progress sticking with the same instructor for several days in a row. They will know which skills you have picked up and which you are struggling to master & will have figured out something about your learning style and/or how best to communicate with you. If you do 2 days at Hirafu and then 2 days at Hanazono to compare, half of the first day at the latter will probably be wasted repeating more or less the same set of skills that you did on day 2 at Hirafu and with you & the instructor getting used to each other.

Given you have a substantial recommendation for Hanazono from @wiigman, I would just go ahead with Hanazono. (If you really like doing research, I suggest you pop over to one of the Australian ski forums to ask as well. Aussies are much more likely to have taken lessons in Japan than the UK-based skiers in this forum, as the ones who have been to Japan are typically very seasoned skiers chasing powder and backcountry experiences. Just keep in mind that time spent on research is time you could be working on your balance or core/leg strength!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AndreaC wrote:
@ski9

I'm not sure you will be in a position to gauge which ski school is better. If you could clone yourself and send each clone to a different ski school at the same time, sure. But as an absolute beginner, you will be doing different things each day + depending on your level of fitness, what you perceive as "bad teaching" might just be your legs getting really tired after skiing in a wedge for a couple of hours. Tired legs will make it more difficult for you to follow *any* instructor.

Plus, your perception of the quality of your instruction can be a function of conditions. (You have the right instinct to avoid busy times!) As things warm up, beginner slopes at village level are often vulnerable to a freeze-melt cycle that leaves them really hard & icy in the morning. On paper, Feb would be safer but with increasing weather volatility due to global warming, things have become less predictable.

Also, you will make more progress sticking with the same instructor for several days in a row. They will know which skills you have picked up and which you are struggling to master & will have figured out something about your learning style and/or how best to communicate with you. If you do 2 days at Hirafu and then 2 days at Hanazono to compare, half of the first day at the latter will probably be wasted repeating more or less the same set of skills that you did on day 2 at Hirafu and with you & the instructor getting used to each other.

Given you have a substantial recommendation for Hanazono from @wiigman, I would just go ahead with Hanazono. (If you really like doing research, I suggest you pop over to one of the Australian ski forums to ask as well. Aussies are much more likely to have taken lessons in Japan than the UK-based skiers in this forum, as the ones who have been to Japan are typically very seasoned skiers chasing powder and backcountry experiences. Just keep in mind that time spent on research is time you could be working on your balance or core/leg strength!)

This wink

@ski9

So it seems Japan is more convenient than Europe for you. However Niseko is the most expensive place in Japan, that puzzles me for a beginner (did not really understand your answer to my question).

If you want "town" life choose Hirafu - but I would choose school where my lodging is located. Hanazono is a bit more out of the way and you have to take bus if you live in Hirafu.

There are quite a number og ski schools in Hirafu - you could switch between them if you want to switch, but more important is to find an experienced instructor who likes to teach beginners. Usually the young first year instructors get the beginners.

Annupuri is quite ok for beginners as well, but again out of the way staying in Hirafu, but there is a nice onsen in this inn https://www.niseko-iroha.com/ Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are you going solo?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
some group ski schools are japanese language only - so that may limit your choice
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy