Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Week before Christmas - Resort Recomendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Having a son at school we are always out for Feb Half Term, but this year, as a surprise 50th present my wife looking at an extra trip 16th - 23rd December. Ive never gone at this time of year so just wondered if anyone has any top resort recomendations.....fully understand we cant completely predict the snowfall but would be good to choose somewhere with a fighting chance of snow.

Also - for those that do venture this early - how late do you leave booking......all the way to December?

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've gone December the last two years.
Dec 2021 was Tignes (incidentally the same week as the PSB)

Dec 2022 was Val Thorens. In both times a good fraction of the week saw rather a lot of snowfall while there. But that's certainly no indication of weather for the future

Both Tignes and Val Thorens tend to sit near the top of lists for early season skiing owing to their rather high altitude in both the villages and the average skiing height (most terrain well over 2000m)

Other contenders can be the likes of Obergurgl, Obertauern, Zermatt etc.

In a cold year, don't discount the Austrian low resorts with powerful snowmaking. Their pastureland will let lots of piste skiing be available on even a thin base.

You won't need to book early, as before Christmas it's an unpopular time with package goers.

I'm sure some other snowheads will be able to be more specific than myself. I've just gambled in October both times. Not that I would recommend doing that necessarily.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So many viable options.
Which airports are relevant?
What kind of pistes?
You mentioned your wife, how important Christmas markets are or a real village atmosphere?
Swiss chocolate box appearance only, or eye sore French purpose built resorts are ok too?
And budget of course
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Granv_ski, been many times at Christmas or just before. TR's listed here.

This time of the year there is a conflict. It's mid-winter so the weather can close in and if you are high it's grim but if the early season hasn't been great snowfall/temp wise you want to be high. For me the best compromise it to stay somewhere with some tree skiing locally but with access to higher altitude skiing. One example is Les Coches but there are others.

I DIY and usually book tunnel crossing at the end of the Summer, accommodation nowish but for 16th week there really is no rush and for TO probably the later the better.

Some might suggest waiting to see what the snow is like but the snow can come late or even during and sometimes hard so it doesn't always help. One time I was going to Les 7 Laux, it was a bad start to the season and they didn't open so I had to switch accommodation to Tignes.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Layne has it spot on. Look for somewhere with access to both trees (in case of poor weather) and height (in case of poor snow).

La Tania / Courchevel / Meribel...
Montchavin / Les Coches / Peisey-Vallandry...

I think you could leave it until a week or two beforehand, but personally I prefer booking early and being able to plan / look forward to it! Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
And there's always Austria.
Obergurgl with Solden.
Arriving to Innsbruck first for the Christmas markets in the old city close to the river
Or Salzburg then Saalbach -Hinterglemm.
Or Zurich then train to Zermatt
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Heading to Corvara for that week this year! Fingers crossed for some half decent snow but I'm sure that it will be fine on man made, if there is a shortage of the natural stuff....

Went to Maria Alm pre Christmas last year and it was amazing. There is nobody around.... Empty pistes, zero lift queues guaranteed seat in any restaurant you like! Coupled with cheaper flights and accommodation, plus the discounts you get in lift passes and other things, it is a luxury week.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've often gone out for either Christmas week or the week before, and almost always only book between 1 and 3 days before departure. The main logic is to wait and see where snow conditions look best (and potentially just not go if it all looks terrible, but that's never happened yet). There will be plenty of accommodation options available last minute - you may also get a decent last minute discount, or you may not. Pre Covid it was fairly easy to get last minute discounts on catered chalets for pre-Christmas week, but with many operators having folded, there are probably fewer discounts available.

My main approach was to start checking options (snow conditions, travel, transfer / car hire and accommodation from about 10 days before departure to get an idea of options, pricing and availability, and re-check every other day.

Not everyone is comfortable leaving it that late to book, so if you are going to wait till the last minute, best check in advance with all your party that they're OK with the uncertainty
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Dolomites and parts of eastern Austria normally have skiing available from the end of November. They are a good option for pre Christmas skiing because they are sheltered and tend to have better weather than the high altitude resorts which can be exposed to strong wind, poor visibility or avalanche risk in December.
The problem this year may be lingering heat. SnowMaking for a late November opening needs a three week window (or so) of low temperatures and dry air and we are perhaps only two weeks away from that window opening. The air will need to cool down and stay cool, if they are to open on time this year. Hopefully it will Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zermatt.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy