Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting into *watching* downhill

Poster: A snowHead
Each year I probably stumble across a downhill skiing even on TV and really enjoy watching it, but never get sucked in to following it. Ski Sunday doesn't seem to give it the airtime it once had so I'm wondering how to find and watch it regularly.

Anybody enthusiastic enough to share some info about where I can watch it, how often it's on, how the season/competition works etc?

I guess there will be some people enthusiastic enough to share their love for the sport.

Many thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Eurosport show the races live and recorded. Usually weather dependent so you may not get the race as scheduled, which is a pain if you've set to record it. Free if you have Sky but I believe Eurosport can be streamed as a subscription app.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Eurosport. Most Saturdays in early/mid season. Check the FIS calendar.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ryunis, Eurosport cover the World Cup downhill races, and are broadcast on Sky satellite TV. Alternatively Eurosport are now part of the Discovery+ app that you can watch on a smartphone or Smart TV. If like me you get your broadband from BT then the Discovery+ app is included in your broadband package.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. I'll take a look at the schedule and get some armchair time booked in.
Any good weekly wrap up programmes to recommend?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ryunis wrote:
Thanks all. I'll take a look at the schedule and get some armchair time booked in.
Any good weekly wrap up programmes to recommend?

I wouldn't recommend Ski Sunday unless it's completely changed from its travelogue format from when I last watched it a couple of years ago Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ryunis, you could also follow this thread.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165903&highlight=
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Book a vacay to coincide with one of the big or minor races, like Wengen or Kitz or Crans.

The crowd gets rocking. Atmos is good.

Try to ski the downhill or slalom course before or after they've iced it up.

The skiing is on a whole different level.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As others have said, Eurosport Player (or whatever they call it now) is a good bet, think it's about £40 for the year but loads of other great sport you might be interested in (amongst the endless blooming tennis). The online player has the advantage of having an ad-free version of live broadcasts and also the ability to switch commentary off. It can be a little frustrating when things don't run to plan though, if they divert from the schedule they're not usually great at sharing why.

@MikeM, they have increased amount of ski coverage again in recent seasons, but they're trying to cover a broad church of snowsports in a 5 or 6 episode run, so it's always going to be about variety rather than exclusively the racing side (which actually has very little relevance to the majority of people in the UK who ski or board). I believe they still run extended highlights on the red button or online, but anyone serious about racing really needs to have Eurosport.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you have a VPN (or are in Switzerland) you can watch the whole lot for free on SRF. Ok, the commentary is in German, but you'll cope, and it’s probably a lot less annoying than the tripe that Eurosport transmit. As mentioned above though, if you really want to appreciate what's going on, book a holiday when and where a race is taking place and ski the course. You won’t believe it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you have a dish you can watch all the races for free on German Eurosport and either Das Erste or ZDF.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@telford_mike, i love Eurosport, skiing wouldn’t be the same without Nick Fellows, I know lots of people find a him annoying but he really loves the sport and I think he transmit the enthusiasm. And the biathlon commentators are amazing, they are involved and passionate , is a joy to watch the competition, the BBC in comparison is flat, used to love ski Sunday , I still watch it but I can easily skip it for something else now
Cannot wait for season to start Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good old Eurosport, I love watching the skiing and the biathlon. Not a big fan of watching the downhill, I much prefer the slalom these days. (Go on Dave).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
Book a vacay to coincide with one of the big or minor races, like Wengen or Kitz or Crans.

The crowd gets rocking. Atmos is good.

Try to ski the downhill or slalom course before or after they've iced it up.

The skiing is on a whole different level.

http://youtube.com/v/IoLNdqh1jYQ
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Like @Dav, I too prefer watching SL (I love watching it all) just with SL and GS, I find it's more obvious where line choices and errors etc are affecting times, and for me that makes it a more enjoyable watch vs the downhill where you can have two seemingly identical runs on a flat section at the top that result in different times and it's not so obvious what is causing that.
snow conditions
Get yourselves out on to the mountain to see a race.
Television does not do any of it justice. The speed, slope gradients etc etc.
The aspect I always find interesting is the volume of work that goes into a course set up.
There is now a scaffold viewing gantry for the big jump on the Lauberhorn (Wengen) it takes the crew 3 to 4 weeks to dismantle it, weather depending!
snow report
Rogerdodger wrote:
The aspect I always find interesting is the volume of work that goes into a course set up.

These days it's quite a few weeks of work, adding the fences, preparing the piste.... Then you look on you tube at a race from the 1950s or 60s
snow report
Go to the Birthday Bash and take a day out to Cortina. It is usually after the women's DH or GS and you can see how icy it is.
latest report
Or watch this saying that would never happen to me, and join in the laughter in sinister Germanic fashion.

http://youtube.com/v/IoLNdqh1jYQ&pp=ygUaaWN5IHBpc3RlIGtpdFpCdWhsZSBwdWJsaWM%3D
snow report
@GlasgowCyclops, TurdyMcFlude ended up on that run without realising, he just thought he was having a bad day!
snow conditions
@ster, sense of déjà-vu from a few posts up wink
snow report
@swskier, sorry, didn’t see you’d posted it already.
snow conditions
Annoyingly, Eurosport only seem to be showing the 1st run of the men's and women's GS live next weekend. the 2nd run looks like its just being shown as highlights later in the day. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Thats very odd. I’ve never know them not to show both live. Is that on the main E1 and E2, have you checked their on line streams as well as sometimes they only carry certain live programmes on the on-line streaming channels.
ski holidays
ster wrote:
Thats very odd. I’ve never know them not to show both live. Is that on the main E1 and E2, have you checked their on line streams as well as sometimes they only carry certain live programmes on the on-line streaming channels.

^ This. The broadcast E1 and E2 channels sometimes limit the skiing coverage because of other sports they are covering, but the app has more streams in addition to E1 and E2 so provides fuller coverage.
snow report
Like the time they didn't show Dave Ryding's Kitzbühel win live on their channels...
ski holidays
Not what you are specifically looking for, but freeride world tour is a great watch. Only 6 events, so not a huge commitment. Incredibly exciting (I actually prefer it to downhill which is a bit more "robotic"*). All the events are on YouTube so if you don't want to watch live can just catch up as and when you want.

*This isn't meant as an insult. It's obviously an extremely difficult skill in its own right, I just find freeride more exciting to watch
latest report
@boarder2020, I've never particularly enjoyed FWT when I've watched it. I like seeing people dropping cliffs etc. But much prefer to get that content from films etc. For skiing as sport I'd rather see people racing the clock than being judged.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SnoodyMcFlude, that's fair enough. I think I prefer the creativity of freeride. It's nice watching people getting creative and picking completely different lines of the same face. I can understand why people don't like judging in general, however it adds to the interest to me. Trying to decide if someone skiing a huge high risk line at full speed with no tricks is better than a low risk smaller line with lots of more technical tricks etc. Racing is certainly a lot more black and white.
ski holidays
To see all of the races you will need to subscribe to the streaming service (£6.99 a month). The live coverage struggles as races get delayed etc.

I'm a snowboarder but love watching Ski Racing. Just can't get into watching any of the freeride stuff be that on Skis or a board.
snow report
I had Eurosport Player before they cancelled it. I am still signed up but now have to sign in to a website rather than app. Just wondering what I may have lost out on. I know with the cycle racing I no longer have access to the ad-free coverage.
snow report
@conor, can't you cancel your old Eurosport subscription and sign up to the Discovery+ app which carries all the Eurosport streams (plus other general interest programmes)? The standard package that includes Eurosport is £6.99/month or £59.99/year. https://support.discoveryplus.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360018960398-discovery-plans-and-prices
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
ster wrote:

^ This. The broadcast E1 and E2 channels sometimes limit the skiing coverage because of other sports they are covering, but the app has more streams in addition to E1 and E2 so provides fuller coverage.

Just to confirm I've looked at the upcoming Solden World Cup race coverage this weekend on the Discovery+ app and it's showing both runs 1 and 2 of the Giant Slaloms as being shown live Very Happy . On Saturday for the Women's GS it's showing Run 1 coverage as being 08:30-10:30am on both the app and the E1 channel, with run 2 only being shown live on the app 11:45-1:00pm. On the Sunday for the Men's GS it's showing Run 1 coverage as also being 08:30-10:30am on both the app and the E1 channel, with again run 2 only being shown live on the app 11:45-1:00pm.

So the Discovery+ app gives better coverage than just relying on the Eurosport channels on the Sky platform.
snow report
@Alastair Pink, Eurosport Germany will be showing all four Soelden runs live, what will be on British Eurosport instead?
latest report
@rjs, snooker! rolling eyes
snow report
Anyone with a similar set-up to mine - BT (now TNT) Sport through Sky box, plus Eurosport subscription through App, remember to cancel any auto-renewal of Eurosport. As AP has mentioned, Eurosport now on Discovery+ which is included with BT, so no point inadvertently paying for something you now get for free.
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
@conor, can't you cancel your old Eurosport subscription and sign up to the Discovery+ app which carries all the Eurosport streams (plus other general interest programmes)? The standard package that includes Eurosport is £6.99/month or £59.99/year. https://support.discoveryplus.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360018960398-discovery-plans-and-prices

Thanks I assumed it would be more expensive than that. Will take a look - hopefully it will be available on my Samsung telly
snow conditions
A bit more info on Discovery+ coverage of winter sports: https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/wbd-confirms-2023-24-winter-sports-coverage/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy