Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HEAD Shape e-V8 vs. Rossignol FORZA 70

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

your advice will be much appreciated. Smile I'm a mid-level on-piste-only skier with a desire to grow my carving technique gradually within the next 2-3 years.

My initial plan was to buy HEAD Shape e-V8. It is great: fun, prefers shorter turns, forgiving, but not for newbies, i.e. is good to improve skillls. Actually "unstable toes at high speeds" was the only negative characteristics I've heard of V8 so far.

However, on the last week I saw a couple of extremely positive reviews of a new Rossignol FORZA 70, which seems to have (at least this is my understanding) all the benefits of V8, but also "stability" and "good for both short and long turns" on top of that. The price is almost identical for both skis.

1. Which model would you recommend and why?
2. I'm not good yet in converting ski geometry into its behavior and I know it's not only about the geometry, but how do you think they differ from that perspecitve? V8: 130-75-112; FORZA 70: 136-78-112

Thank you for your comments!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably not a lot of difference. The slightly bigger nose might mean the Forza hooks up a bit earlier and gives you some marginally greater lift in soft snow but it's all pretty much infinitesimal for a mid level skier. What you ate for breakfast probably has a greater impact on absolute performance.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Probably not a lot of difference. The slightly bigger nose might mean the Forza hooks up a bit earlier and gives you some marginally greater lift in soft snow but it's all pretty much infinitesimal for a mid level skier.

Thank you! But you didn't have personal experience with those 2 models, right? [not to doubt your words, just to understand whether or not I can ask your personal impression]
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No absolutely no experience of the particular skis. Not really my bag.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I doubt 90% of skiiers will be able to tell the difference between the 2. You don't need ultra expensive skis to learn how to carve.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
luanb wrote:
I doubt 90% of skiiers will be able to tell the difference between the 2.

Yeah, unless they tried them both. I'd love to, but this is not possible in my area unfortunately.

luanb wrote:
You don't need ultra expensive skis to learn how to carve.

True. Like you don't need BMW X6 to learn to drive, but even in your first VW Polo you want seats to be comfortable and radio with Android Auto. Smile This isn't my first one - I had Head Prestige before (which is discontinued in favor of eRally), but they were above my skills. However I remember how stable they were at high speeds and what a pleasure it was to feel their power, so I know how important is the "chemistry" between you and skis. Hence - asking here. Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ToxicInDub wrote:
luanb wrote:
I doubt 90% of skiiers will be able to tell the difference between the 2.

Yeah, unless they tried them both. I'd love to, but this is not possible in my area unfortunately.

luanb wrote:
You don't need ultra expensive skis to learn how to carve.

True. Like you don't need BMW X6 to learn to drive, but even in your first VW Polo you want seats to be comfortable and radio with Android Auto. Smile This isn't my first one - I had Head Prestige before (which is discontinued in favor of eRally), but they were above my skills. However I remember how stable they were at high speeds and what a pleasure it was to feel their power, so I know how important is the "chemistry" between you and skis. Hence - asking here. Smile

The Forza are new this season so you won't find many people on here who has been on it. Mind you, if you have found the Head Prestige to be above your skils, I don't know why you're looking at the Forza 70, the clue is in the name, those skis are meant to be on edge at 70 degrees! for true experts only.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
luanb wrote:
if you have found the Head Prestige to be above your skils, I don't know why you're looking at the Forza 70, the clue is in the name, those skis are meant to be on edge at 70 degrees! for true experts only.

Didn't know that - thank you! Neither Rossignol nor HEAD write this on their websites (afaik). And what is the degree for HEAD Shape e-V8, don't you occasionally know?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ToxicInDub wrote:
luanb wrote:
if you have found the Head Prestige to be above your skils, I don't know why you're looking at the Forza 70, the clue is in the name, those skis are meant to be on edge at 70 degrees! for true experts only.

Didn't know that - thank you! Neither Rossignol nor HEAD write this on their websites (afaik). And what is the degree for HEAD Shape e-V8, don't you occasionally know?

https://www.skiessentials.com/Chairlift-Chat/2024-rossignol-forza-70-v-ti-ski-review/

I've no idea about the e-V8, but skiessentials has a review.

http://youtube.com/v/vX0BnIzJbE0

Ski Talks aslo has a comparission against the eRally

http://youtube.com/v/aJRdDWcXYQw
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@luanb Thank you for sharing these links - good stuff for Saturday evening! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ToxicInDub, a very intresting question .. but its impossible to answer.
They are both new models and they both sound fantastic so they will be great on the boots of the right skiier.
You say that you are a "mid level" wannabe a better carver.
Sounds a bit like me.

Here is what you need to do...
Find the shop in the resort where you are going.. that sells both of these skis.
And get them to rent them to you. If they are any good they will let you demo them for a few days. Then you'll know if you are right for them and which ones you like best.

I'm fond of Head Supershape Magnums, they always give me a good time .. but I don't know what this model is about.
I also like Hero's but sometimes they dont like me.

I always rent my skis these days, so I can try different stuff that's brand new rather than dragging my boards to the airport.

You only need your own skis if you are lucky enough to be able to drive to the alps every weekend.
So if you work in Stuttgart, Munich or Nuremberg you can treat yourself.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DrLawn wrote:
Find the shop in the resort where you are going.. that sells both of these skis.
And get them to rent them to you. If they are any good they will let you demo them for a few days.

OMG, I wish I lived in this ideal world with unicorns and fairies...

DrLawn wrote:

So if you work in Stuttgart, Munich or Nuremberg you can treat yourself.

Harmisch-Partenkirschen (so - Munich) is close to me, so if you can recommend a shop in the area that can also rent skis I will be grateful. Otherwise, I can only imagine calling them in advance, and there are maybe 30-40 of them around Munich, so this approach is definitely for those who live there and speak German.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi @ToxicInDub, I forgot to say ... "Welcome to Snowheads!"
I'm not familiar with the Harmisch-Partenkirschen area although I used to live in a street called "Zugspitze Strasse".

I'd recommend that you PM @munich_irish as he'll point you to a ski shop that will let you rent unicorns and leprechauns.

I've not made this up ... its common practice with ski shops to let you demo skis before you buy them.
And discount the rental price against the new skis.
If your living down that way go over the Ruette pass and spend a weekend testing skis at Hintertux in November.

Then you can tell us all how you go on with them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrLawn wrote:
Hi @ToxicInDub, I forgot to say ... "Welcome to Snowheads!"

Thank you! And I appreciate that you've given a contact who may help.

DrLawn wrote:

I'm not familiar with the Harmisch-Partenkirschen area although I used to live in a street called "Zugspitze Strasse".

A town, a famous ski resort - the one where FIS holds its championships. So it's FIS-certified, so to say. Very Happy Google Maps says nothing about Zugspitze Strasse in that area, but suprisingly there are Zugspitze Roads in Colorado and Wyoming.

DrLawn wrote:

Then you can tell us all how you go on with them.

I surely will - once I have this opportunity. I strongly hope for that, since both skis are excellent and having read/viewed a lot about each of them these couple of days I'm regrettably not a cm closer to the final decision. Still a big dilemma for me.
New finding: both are light, but v8 is 400g lighter (without bindings). Very Happy Cool to know, but not helpful - after HEAD Prestiges which weighted a ton no big difference. However, maybe this is why v8 noses are mentioned as unstable on high speeds. Dunno.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
True race skis are really heavy, the race plate and binding being pretty hefty. Light is not really what you want in a carver but then for general resort skiing light and flex maybe what you need to handle bumps etc.

A true SL ski is a bit of a pig in moguls for instance despite the short length and skinny waist.
snow report
Rossignol and Head are 2 brands that I have always liked. I'm light (10 stone), so I look for skis that are stable, yet fun and manageable/forgiving.

The closest I've skied to the Head ski you've listed, is the Magnum (which I highly rated) - It is probably quite similar, though a little less forgiving (it's still IMV suitable for decent Intermediate level upwards). I suspect that the Head V8s would suit you very well.

From what I have read, the Rossi Forza 70 is an Expert Level ski, so I agree with @luanb. There seems to be 2 alternatives: The standard version with the Konect system and the version with the R22 Race Plate (which you linked to). The R22 Plate takes an already expert ski and makes it even more demanding.

My conclusion is that the Head is the more suitable ski, given your description of being a "Mid Level Skier"....and if you want a touch more performance/headroom, go up to the Supershape range (probably Magnum).

I think the Forza 70 will be a brilliant ski, but much more suitable to fast, expert skiers (especially the R22 version).

FWIW. I too think it is very likely that you would find a shop selling both Head and Rossi....and that they would let you offset the rental fee if you buy.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
I look for skis that are stable, yet fun and manageable/forgiving.

And so do I - same criteria. I'd probably add "mostly for short/mid turns", but both v8 and Forza 70 fit into that category.

Old Fartbag wrote:

From what I have read, the Rossi Forza 70 is an Expert Level ski, so I agree with @luanb. There seems to be 2 alternatives: The standard version with the Konect system and the version with the R22 Race Plate (which you linked to). The R22 Plate takes an already expert ski and makes it even more demanding.

Nono, if I linked to R22 plate - my bad then. Embarassed Of course I'm talking of Konect version with a non-race plate.

Old Fartbag wrote:

....and if you want a touch more performance/headroom, go up to the Supershape range (probably Magnum).

That is the idea: improve skills on v8 or Forza 70 and buy SS (e-Rally probably) in 3-4 years. I'm just stuck on the first phase of this brilliant plan now. Very Happy

By the way, can anyone recommend GripWalk compatible non-race bindings for Forza 70? There are so many of them, and I'm a bit lost. I used Tyrolia PRD12 with my Heads and was totally satisfied. Should I go for e-Rally one day, that will definitely be a Protector binding with a better release system (makes perfect sense for higher speeds/risks), but I'm totally unaware of Rossignol bindings lineup. With my weight of 85kg/190lb that could perfectly be a PRD11 instead (I mean its Rossignol sibling of course).

Looks like (I could be mistaken though!) Rossignol's Look SPX 12 is similar to Tyrolia's PRD12. A couple of questions though:

1. Is SPX 12 GW B90 FORZA 3.0 the same thing as SPX 12 GW B90 GREY ORGANIC (or BLACK), just different color?
2. What is the difference between B90 and B80/100/110 models (whether FORZA 3.0 or Grey/Black)?
3. What's the difference between the SPX 12 GW B90 FORZA 3.0 (mentioned in #1) and PIVOT 12 GW B95 FORZA 3.0? Visually SPX and PIVOT have different heels, but also that small difference in their "B"-numbers could probably mean smth. Embarassed
4. SPX 12 ROCKERACE GW are not my choice, as probably (?) require R22 race plates, right?

Thank you for finding time to have a look and comment. Smile
ski holidays
ToxicInDub wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
I look for skis that are stable, yet fun and manageable/forgiving.

And so do I - same criteria. I'd probably add "mostly for short/mid turns", but both v8 and Forza 70 fit into that category.

Old Fartbag wrote:

Nono, if I linked to R22 plate - my bad then. Embarassed Of course I'm talking of Konect version with a non-race plate.

Old Fartbag wrote:

....and if you want a touch more performance/headroom, go up to the Supershape range (probably Magnum).

That is the idea: improve skills on v8 or Forza 70 and buy SS (e-Rally probably) in 3-4 years. I'm just stuck on the first phase of this brilliant plan now. Very Happy

By the way, can anyone recommend GripWalk compatible non-race bindings for Forza 70? There are so many of them, and I'm a bit lost. I used Tyrolia PRD12 with my Heads and was totally satisfied. Should I go for e-Rally one day, that will definitely be a Protector binding with a better release system (makes perfect sense for higher speeds/risks), but I'm totally unaware of Rossignol bindings lineup. With my weight of 85kg/190lb that could perfectly be a PRD11 instead (or its Rossignol sibling).

Looks like (I could be mistaken though!) Rossignol's Look SPX 12 is similar to Tyrolia's PRD12. A couple of questions though:

1. Is SPX 12 GW B90 FORZA 3.0 the same thing as SPX 12 GW B90 GREY ORGANIC (or BLACK), just different color?
2. What is the difference between B90 and B80/100/110 models (whether FORZA 3.0 or Grey/Black)?
3. What's the difference between the SPX 12 GW B90 FORZA 3.0 (mentioned in #1) and PIVOT 12 GW B95 FORZA 3.0? Visually SPX and PIVOT have different heels, but also that small difference in their "B"-numbers could probably mean smth. Embarassed
4. SPX 12 ROCKERACE GW are not my choice, as probably (?) require R22 race plates, right?

Thank you for finding time to have a look and comment. Smile

I like a versatile Turn Radius, so ideally 14m to 16m. If I have a default (for Piste), it would be Short to Medium turns, so could live with 13m. I am lucky that I have 2 sets of skis, one with 12m and one with 18m.....but if I had only one set (like most sane people), I like the versatility of around 15 or 16m.

The Konect system ties you into the Look Bindings that work with it. There is a cheaper and more expensive option. At your weight and if reasonably aggressive, go for the SPX 12 (as the better binding). The Look Bindings are GW compatible.

Spyderjon would be better placed to answer your raft of questions.

I can only speak for the Magnums.....but if you are looking for something that you won't grow out of, but is still forgiving enough for your current level - I think they would fit the bill. I would try and test the Magnum vs V8.
snow report
I've never rented a pair of Supershape Magnums that I didnt enjoy, but I did rent a pair of the Supershape World Cup rebels one day and I just could not turn them, had to take them back within an hour.
They were probably overtuned but a sorry experience.

I'll be renting my skis next time out from Mountain Story in Tignes le Lac ...
I see that the only Heads they have for me are the "Head eXSR" so they are World Cup Rebels, perhaps they will be better than the last ones I tried as they will probably still have the factory stickers on the base as its the first week of December.

And they will also rent me the Rossignol Forza 70 v-Ti, I'll give them a try but I think they are going to be above my pay grade.
So there you have it @ToxicInDub I'll give you a report on the Forza if I make it back in one piece.

As I'm getting on in years now I should be looking for a ski that is a bit softer and and a comfy ride rather than being lairy.
I was quite enjoying riding around on Atomic X7's widebody for the end of season skiing .. with nothing to prove but still lots to improve.
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:

So there you have it @ToxicInDub I'll give you a report on the Forza if I make it back in one piece.

Oh, I will be SO grateful really. Please drop a line here if you have a chance to try them and - enjoy your skiing and be safe! Smile

Old Fartbag wrote:

The Konect system ties you into the Look Bindings that work with it. There is a cheaper and more expensive option. At your weight and if reasonably aggressive, go for the SPX 12 (as the better binding). The Look Bindings are GW compatible.

Spyderjon would be better placed to answer your raft of questions.

Thank you! PMed him. wink Those I've listed are all LOOK. Shocked Very Happy
ski holidays
ToxicInDub wrote:

Those I've listed are all LOOK. Shocked Very Happy

Spyderjon can verify, but not all Look Bindings are set up to work with the Konect system.
ski holidays
ToxicInDub wrote:

1. Don't know what the difference is.
2. The "B" numbers refer to the Brake Width.
3. All the bindings you link to are not Konnect System bindings, but the sort you attach directly to the ski. The Konnect System bindings are not shown seperately on the Rossignol site as they would normally come with the skis.
4. Yes the ROCKERACE bindings are Race Bindings that you fit to the R22 plate.
snow report
@ToxicInDub, the answers above given by @MyKeg are correct but I'll add the following:

1. Yep, just different colours.
3. The SPX 12 and the Pivot 12 share the same toe bindings but have different heels. The SPX is available on the Konect rail whereas the Pivot is only available as a flat mounted binding.
4. Yep, the Rockerace, and their predecessor the Rockerflex, only mount to the R22 plate.

The difference between the same ski with the Konect rail compared to the R22 plate is quite different, with the R22 plate stiffening up the ski quite a bit and, more importantly (as the Rockerace bindings are screwed in to the R22 plate versus the Konect system which develops play between the rail and the bindings), is more positive. IMO to get the best out of the Forza ski you need the R22/Rockerace binding set-up.

I'd also recommend the Dynastar Omeglass Speed Master SL skis with the R22 plate etc.
snow report
Hi @ToxicInDub,
This was my ZugspitzeStrasse

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@49.4125419,11.1170614,220a,35y,216.1h,44.96t/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu
latest report
Here you go. No reason to suspect this review is off by much. For context Rudi Riet is an East Coast small hill race coach.

https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2024-rossignol-forza-70-v-ti.31499/#post-906870
snow conditions
@MyKeg @spyderjon Thank you guys for commenting on bindings!

So should I go for KONECT platform I have either to accept the SPX 14 K GW B80 which it comes with, or hope that the seller will agree to change them to SPX 12 (which should be enough for my 85kg/190lb), right?

As for R22 platform:

1) no play between the rail and the binding (vs. KONECT) = more control, but also less forgiveness, hence - less playfulness, right?
2) am I right the width of bindings will be the same (80) or makes sense to choose the different one?
3) the choice of bindings boils down to only SPX 12 ROCKERACE? (SPX 12 and PIVOT are not for R22 plate as far as I understood)

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 16-10-23 8:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Here you go. No reason to suspect this review is off by much. For context Rudi Riet is an East Coast small hill race coach.

https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2024-rossignol-forza-70-v-ti.31499/#post-906870

Thank you!
snow report
DrLawn wrote:
Hi @ToxicInDub,
This was my ZugspitzeStrasse

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@49.4125419,11.1170614,220a,35y,216.1h,44.96t/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

Yeah, but it's Nurnberg which is 260km from Garmisch-Partenkirschen that I was talking about (and Zugspitze peak in also there).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ToxicInDub, if you live near Garmisch Partenkirchen the you might want to check out these guys
https://ski-performance.com/skiverleih/
They have a good selection of Head skis and are conveniently situated right at the Kreuzeck station
snow conditions
I see they even have worldcup rebels which my wife spent weeks looking for last winter and eventually imported from a shop in Milan. Looks like they are well sorted!
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
@ToxicInDub, if you live near Garmisch Partenkirchen the you might want to check out these guys
https://ski-performance.com/skiverleih/
They have a good selection of Head skis and are conveniently situated right at the Kreuzeck station

I'm not near, but not far either and GP is one of my favourite resorts, so thank you for this contact!
latest report
@ToxicInDub Which option did you go for in the end if any, I'm in a similar mind
snow conditions
@B36LBX I haven't bought yet, but definitely will in this season. After so many reading and YouTubing both models and also holding them in my hands in the store I will go for Forza. I've always loved and adored Head (and I still do - their quality and thoughtfullness are amazing), but I see that Forza is a same level competitor, at least when those 2 models are considered, so I shouldn't regret giving Forza a try.

The difference in their weight is not significant, so I crossed this point out from my arguments. Forza has a longer edge, so should be more clingy on the slope, especially closer to midday, when it's not so groomed and partially is icy. Besides, Forza has titanal layer, which makes the construction more stable on higher speeds (and titanal's weight partially plays role in this too, however not the major one). The small downside of that is that Forza is a bit more demanding than V8.

TLDR; If you want more chill and will rarely ski at *very* high speeds or complicated surfaces go for V8. Otherwise buy Forza.
snow conditions
ToxicInDub wrote:
@B36LBX I haven't bought yet, but definitely will in this season. After so many reading and YouTubing both models and also holding them in my hands in the store I will go for Forza. I've always loved and adored Head (and I still do - their quality and thoughtfullness are amazing), but I see that Forza is a same level competitor, at least when those 2 models are considered, so I shouldn't regret giving Forza a try.

The difference in their weight is not significant, so I crossed this point out from my arguments. Forza has a longer edge, so should be more clingy on the slope, especially closer to midday, when it's not so groomed and partially is icy. Besides, Forza has titanal layer, which makes the construction more stable on higher speeds (and titanal's weight partially plays role in this too, however not the major one). The small downside of that is that Forza is a bit more demanding than V8.

TLDR; If you want more chill and will rarely ski at *very* high speeds or complicated surfaces go for V8. Otherwise buy Forza.

Thanks for this - personally I'm leaning more towards the Forza 60 as it seems a bit more forgiving than the 70 - in your search did you find anything worth sharing in terms of 60 vs 70?
ski holidays
Well, I didn't consider 60, because I'd rather buy V8 then, but this is only *my* scenario, because I had Head Prestige before and I liked Head after them. If you have no "history" with Head like me, you can go for 60.

Google the details/reviews though, because there *should* be the difference between 60 and V8 - just I don't know what it is.
snow conditions
@ToxicInDub, I recently tested the Forza 60 and the Head WC Rebels e-SL at the SIGB ski test, the Head, for me, was head (!) and shoulders above the Forza, smooth, forgiving, faster edge to edge and better edge grip
snow report
@KenX Thanks for sharing - appreciate it! However the balance between Rebels/60 could differ from that between Shapes/70. Not arguing, just thinking out loud.

In fact, Rebels are racing skis, so no wonder they outperform Forza 60, which are obviously a fun model. Shapes are performance skis, and so is Forza 70. Dollars to donuts they will be much closer to each other.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy