Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samoens or Les Prodains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I‘ve been looking at options for a ski trip for 2nd week of March and have found possibilities in Samoens and Les Prodains. Wanted something from Geneva so we can fly from Southampton and avoid Chambery. Never been to Portes du Soleil and only once to Flaine about 30 years ago. Reading various reports on here both have drawbacks had been leaning towards Samoens as it would have access to higher slopes in the Grand Massif but I read about high winds closing the links in March this year. Is this something that happens often?

We‘re experienced intermediate skiers, not really into après-ski and looking for b&b or half board accommodation.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Prodains is arguably the ultimate base for exploring both Avoriaz and Morzine if you don't mind a quiet base. I think the cable car to Avoriaz and navette to Morzine both run well into the evening as well (?) for going out to eat etc.

Grand Massif link closures are less likely to be a problem in March than earlier in the season, but if they do close, the Samoens sector you could be stuck in is a bit limited. Whereas Les Carroz and Morillon sort of share a larger sector with each other, so I'd rather stay in one of them. Personally I don't rate Flaine itself as a base, since you're stuck on the least sheltered side of the main link if it's stormy, so people end up exploring the most sheltered parts of the domain on the nicest days.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@somborneski, Prodains massively more convenient than Samoëns. Would be reasonably sure cable car runs into the evening, not so sure at all about Morzine navettes.

Skied Grand Massif quite a bit and never noticed any unusual problems with wind (other than, you know, mountains). But we don't like skiing pistes in crap weather so may have been having lunch at the time.

For Prodains, Paul and Francesca at https://www.chillypowder.com/properties/france/morzine-avoriaz/catered-winter/au-coin-du-feu run a tight ship Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never skiied PdS / Prodains. Can recommend Grand Massif though, specifically this place

https://www.chaletsinsamoens.com/

based between Samoens and Morillon, they wil drop you at the Vercland Lift (for Samoens and easy access all round) or Morillon (when the links are closed, there's more skiing in Morillon than Samoens) as you desire. Really lovely comfortable chalet with great food
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@somborneski, why is access to higher slopes important? 2nd week of March should be pretty snow sure for any of the slopes around Avoriaz.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Handy Turnip, I’m trying to think of what’s higher above Flaine anyway … Gers? Fred?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had 3 long weekends in Flaine / Samoens in the last 10 years or so - mainly because of the short transfer time from GVA and the fact that we wanted a change from Les Gets and Morzine (which we also frequent in the summer). I have now vowed never to go to the Grand Massif ever again. I just don't find it exciting or varied enough. The Flaine below is not particularly interesting. No sense of travel.

For me it would have to be Prodains 100%. You're a single fast lift away from Avoriaz, a resort that will have decent snow at that time of year (it was even OK during early January this year), a bus ride from lovely Morzine and close to even lovelier Les Gets. It's a no brainer.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone, both those Chalet options look good and there seem to be several options for shared transfers from Geneva.

By higher slopes I was comparing the height and amount of skiing in the Flaine bowl with the amount of slopes above Avoriaz.

I was a bit surprised about the links closing in March due to wind - brought back memories of a holiday to La Thuile when only the first stage of the gondola was open so we skied the same couple of runs for 2 days.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having been to both several times it’s a real toss of a coin. Both are excellent imho. I agree Prodain has great access and I get you’re not into apres but there is one bar, and bug all else. If you’re in a catered chalet then that would be fine, we managed just fine there although after we switched to Chatel I personally found that more amenable. Samoen is one of the nicest towns in the Alps. In the valley so it doesn’t have the massive hill to face on the way out or home in the evening when you’re gubbed but there’s no skiing home, it’s a gondola job. We were never wind affected in either place, both very extensive areas. I like Flaine, seem to be in a minority there. You’ll have a great time in either id say.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@somborneski, there's more, or at least certainly better* skiing above Avoriaz than above Flaine. Andbthe marginal height difference isn't operationally important.

* if you don't like steep or bumps - both Gers and Fred are a whole heap of fun but Gers in particular is quite steep for a "piste" and the drag is, well, entertaining Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would stay in Les Carroz and ski the grand massif from there. Chalets de jouvence is ski to the door. In my opinion there is plenty of variety in the Grand Massif and usually the snow would be good at the time you are going. There are also some lovely mountain cafes particularly in Morillon.

I don’t remember Fred (red) being that challenging but the Diamant noir black certainly can be later in the season when it has large moguls. There are plenty of long enjoyable reds in Flaine starting above the tree line. Les carroz and morillon are really pretty with gentle tree lined slopes.

I wouldn’t stay in samoens though. It is a pretty village but you have to walk to the gondola to access the skiing and you cannot ski back to it.

I haven’t stayed in Les prodains so can’t comment on that.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy