Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter 2024 - Bad Gastein or Bansko?

Poster: A snowHead
I am trying to decide on a destination for our annual "family ski trip" next year, and looking for some advice please.

We're a family of 5 (kids will be 14.5, 12 and only-just-7).

We have been on a few trips - last year was Cervinia and this year Puy St Vincent. We are looking for reasonably snow sure (noting 1st week of April can be hit-and-miss), pretty, and not breaking the bank as we're also planning a summer trip to New Zealand. Some aprés would be nice, but nightlife / clubbing as such is not important.

Ski levels are:
* the 12 and 7 year old can ski easy blues.
* Miss 14 YO year old is a pretty confident intermediate skier and also a 1-week snowboarder. She is going on a school ski trip to the US (East) in Feb half term.
* Mrs B is a slightly-nervous-but-actually-better-than-she-thinks intermediate skier
* I'm a less nervous but probably-not-quite-as-good-as-I-think intermediate skier, and advanced snowboarder

We would likely be renting a car at whatever airport we fly to.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you have a car & there is no snow in Bad Gastien, you can load up & go find some
In Bansko if there is no snow, you can go look around the town & take a hot bath... maybe visit the monastery & play a round of golf
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
when will you go? i lived in N.Greece and Bansko was almost 3h driving so visited many times.
Generally is good as a resort, cheap but usually really really crowded.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@turms2,
£225 for a 6 day lift pass this year. I would not pay that to ski bansko.
I went years ago & not so long ago... It used to be cheap, but since the introduction of minimum wage in Bulgaria, it has gone quite expensive.
Cheap was the only USP. I would rather spend the same & go on a 4 or 5 day break.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Of the two you listed, then Bad Gastein every time

----------

We went to Jahorina, Bosnia and Herzegovina this past March

Plenty of snow, and it stayed well in to mid-April

Great skiing, only busy on the weekend

Excellent value for money

Only downside is they allow smoking indoors, but there are areas of restaurants where you don't notice it

https://www.oc-jahorina.com/en/pocetna-zima/

https://www.crystalski.co.uk/ski-resorts/bosnia-and-herzegovina-ski-holidays/jahorina/

Also took a day to see Sarajevo

Fascinating

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 13-10-23 10:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow wrote:

Only downside is they allow smoking indoors, but there are areas of restaurants where you don't notice it

It that still the case? I know it was when we went to Austria but I thought it had changed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mike Pow, did you mean Bansko?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ster wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

It that still the case? I know it was when we went to Austria but I thought it had changed.

I've amended my post to make it less ambiguous

Smoking = Bosnia
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Mike Pow, did you mean Bansko?

I've amended my post to make it less ambiguous

Smoking = Bosnia
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Pow wrote:

----------

We went to Jahorina, Bosnia and Herzegovina this past March

Plenty of snow, and it stayed well in to mid-April

Great skiing, only busy on the weekend

Excellent value for money

https://www.oc-jahorina.com/en/pocetna-zima/

https://www.crystalski.co.uk/ski-resorts/bosnia-and-herzegovina-ski-holidays/jahorina/

Also took a day to see Sarajevo

Fascinating

Bosnia looks interesting, sounds a bit like Bulgaria but 25 years ago... We've been to Bosnia a couple of times for a day trip, but only in the summer and from Croatia.

I wouldn't go to Bansko. We've been to Pamporovo, but that was 25 years ago. Especially if you're not really looking for nightlife, I thought that was one of the main reasons to go to Bansko, in addition to the skiing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I absolutely hated Bansko!

We went on a 'boys' trip in March last year outside of the UK school holidays.

You need to be in the Gondola queue by 7:45 or it's a mile long (literally) and then you wait or get a taxi to the base station. Slopes were packed and I've honestly never seen so many crashes on the slopes. Saw loads of people who seemed to turn up, hire gear and try to ski/board with no idea what they were doing! All slopes were groomed overnight but usually chopped to pieces by 10am! We normally got up first lift, skied until lunch at the 360 restaurant around 12 and then headed back through the hordes about 3pm

As for the town, if you remember Club 18-30? It's like that but worse! The old part of town is nice and quiet and has a couple of nice restaurants. But be prepared to eat lots of meat!

Not my cup of tea, it served a purpose for our group but I personally wouldn't consider taking my family there!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@boardiac, Bad Gastein for no other reason than Kids ski free in Ski Amade from Mid March. That's a €700 saving right there.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Early April in Bansko might be perfect for MTB, not for skiing/boarding.
Too low. only in January due to the altitude and the huuuge gondola queue.
IMO snowsure and with enough pistes (more than a glacier) in early April are only high altitude resorts in France.
How about Orelle? The cheaper side of ValTho, connected by 2 gondolas.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bansko at Easter? DON'T!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks. I think views are pretty unanimous!

@drporat: we want to try somewhere other than France.

Follow up question: is there a reasonable chance of decent snow at Easter in Bad Gastein? Or is somewhere else in Ski Amade perhaps nore snow-sure?
snow report
@boardiac, Obergurgl in Austria.
Free ski bus and same ski pass for Solden with 2 glaciers.
ski holidays
@boardiac, We have our own Forum here and I've answered that question many times. To save you looking...yes! Very Happy
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=164785&highlight=
latest report
boardiac wrote:
Thanks. I think views are pretty unanimous!

@drporat: we want to try somewhere other than France.

That's a bit like saying "I've tried BMW and Mercedes, but fancy something different. How about a Wartburg Knight?" Confused
snow report
@Mollerski, OTH many are curious to dip their toe in Austrian (frozen if possible) water.
A different experience. If only to return to France in future Aprils.
I was surprised to discover Ski Amade is a viable option for early April. Interesting, now I will have to try it once
snow conditions
@drporat, Hit the Dolomites and have done with it. Everywhere else is second best. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Mollerski, now you're talking Madeye-Smiley
But that's for february (Birthday Bashes) not April me thinks.
Luck of the draw but my experience with anything else but France from the 2nd half of March was disappointing
snow report
drporat wrote:
@Mollerski, OTH many are curious to dip their toe in Austrian (frozen if possible) water.
A different experience. If only to return to France in future Aprils.
I was surprised to discover Ski Amade is a viable option for early April. Interesting, now I will have to try it once

Really? A lot of the Ski Amade has a significant amount of Piste that is North facing and amazing snow making capacity. In all the years I've been here at Easter we've always been able to ski home to the bottom of the valley. Last season was even extended after a late dump just after Easter Weekend. Then add on the Altitide at Zauchensee and Sport Gastein for an extra week and you can't go wrong.
snow conditions
@RedandWhiteFlachau, can you please recommend best location then for my first time?
Can rent a car, mostly red and blacks, as much mileage as possible but I can do same pistes over and over without getting bored if conditions are good and it's challenging.
TIA.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 14-10-23 5:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Bansko is suffering badly in the era of global boiling.

It was snowfree in Dec, early Jan, and Apr last season.

Great little town. Worsening snow record.

Snowsure, cheap, for beginners and intermediates, in Apr, means (very) limited choice.

Cervinia would be the top pick.

Try...

1. La Thuile (Italy)
2. Livigno (Italy)
3. Soldeu (Andorra)

Or put it on the creditcard and go to...

1. Zermatt
2. Lech
3. Val d'Isere
latest report
I'd probably agree with Cervinia.
Re. Bansko, my In-Law's 'invested' in an apartment out there 15yrs ago. We visited the place for 2/3 years until we decided that cheap didn't justify the lack of quality. It may've improved in recent years, but back then it wasn't particularly nice. Brits whom were more about the cheap booze than the skiing. Brooding 'locals' skulking about giving the place a slightly sinister undertone. Not for me I'm afraid.
snow conditions
Gored wrote:
@turms2,
£225 for a 6 day lift pass this year. I would not pay that to ski bansko.
I went years ago & not so long ago... It used to be cheap, but since the introduction of minimum wage in Bulgaria, it has gone quite expensive.
Cheap was the only USP. I would rather spend the same & go on a 4 or 5 day break.

Maybe you are right. Not been there since 2010 i think.
In these years Skipass was not cheap but hotels and Food etc was really cheap compare to alps.
However wouldnt bother to Fly there from UK
Was there ma mamy times only because i was in GR
ski holidays
@Mollerski, can confirm that Bansko 2023 is the same. Very odd place.

For the OP, anywhere round the Gastein valley will be better, although with the skier profiles perhaps Bad Hofgastein or Dorfgastein, or Alpendorf would be better. It's easy enough to get between them all on the train/bus.
snow report
drporat wrote:

Luck of the draw but my experience with anything else but France from the 2nd half of March was disappointing

I had a very snowy Easter week in St Moritz a few years back.

That time of year, everywhere is cheap. How cheap and how much value is up to you to explore.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 14-10-23 15:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boardiac, have you considered Mayrhofen.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2715218&highlight=easter#2715218
latest report
abc wrote:
drporat wrote:

I had a very snowy Easter week in St Moritz a few years back.

That time of year, everywhere is cheap. How cheap and how much value is up to you to explore.

Thanks, the overall costs there always deterred me but it does get cheaper from mid March.
Another item added on my 'to Do' list
snow report
I've been going to Bansko since 2007 and it is cheap and pretty well run. I don't agree with some of the negative comments even back in the day never had problems with local or Brits or tourists either. Was always fun and reasonable skiing for the price. It's a lot busier now and the gremadeto area has become overpriced for food but the old town is still cracking value. I was there last year Feb and it dumped for the whole week more or less. Some friends said it dumped again late march and April. That week cost around £1k but we left it late and it was the only resort open to the unvaxxed. Money well spent imv. The gondola queue is horrendous though but there are alternatives. Makes we wonder if some people have actually been to Bansko!
snow report
Gainz wrote:
I've been going to Bansko since 2007 and it is cheap and pretty well run. I don't agree with some of the negative comments even back in the day never had problems with local or Brits or tourists either. Was always fun and reasonable skiing for the price. It's a lot busier now and the gremadeto area has become overpriced for food but the old town is still cracking value. I was there last year Feb and it dumped for the whole week more or less. Some friends said it dumped again late march and April. That week cost around £1k but we left it late and it was the only resort open to the unvaxxed. Money well spent imv. The gondola queue is horrendous though but there are alternatives. Makes we wonder if some people have actually been to Bansko!

The food at the place in the old town with the old wooden wheel outside is outstanding.
I have seen tons of snow there where cars have been left abandoned on the mountain road before you even get to the gondola mid station.
However the value has gone out of the resort. It is cheaper to go to Western side of the Italian alps. Drinks went expensive the last I went - 50p pints a distance memory. I saw a lot of change over the years, especially around & above the crossroads
snow report
Gainz wrote:
Makes we wonder if some people have actually been to Bansko!

Conversely, I often wonder whether the noisy Bansko supporters have actually skied anywhere else? I simply don't get it.
ski holidays
I have been to Bansko twice. We are stuck with school holidas and have been over new year and Feb half term. We had free accommodation from our parents and still would not go again while tied to peak dates.

Easter is too late and you would be very lucky to get any real skiing.

@boardiac, places I have been outside of France for Easter are Gressoney, St Anton, and Mayrhofen.

I almost made it to La Thuile but thats when covid lockdowns hit.... will try to get booked for there again one year.

Nice to see you around on the site again Very Happy

This year we are making use of a full week school holidays before Christmas and off to Saalbach. My eldest is sitting her A-levels and has vetoed an Easter trip
ski holidays
drporat wrote:

IMO snowsure and with enough pistes (more than a glacier) in early April are only high altitude resorts in France.

This is an uninformed typical punter opinion.

Ischgl will have as good a skiing as anywhere in the Alps in April. Obertauern, Sölden, Obergurgl and Serfaus Fiss Ladis will give anywhere a run for their money.
Mayrhofen will still be good in April as will stubital.
ski holidays
Mother hucker wrote:
drporat wrote:

This is an uninformed typical punter opinion.

Ischgl will have as good a skiing as anywhere in the Alps in April. Obertauern, Sölden, Obergurgl and Serfaus Fiss Ladis will give anywhere a run for their money.
Mayrhofen will still be good in April as will stubital.

Nope. It's just that I've been there (Ischgl) and I have done that, many of the lower pistes were slushy before lunch, not to mention the runs towards Samnaun.
I only write about things I know from my personal experience.
BTW I have mentioned to the OP Obergurgl with Solden's two glaciers.
Zillertal has Hintertux of course but in mid March 2022 (Fasching) Penken and Horberg were more or less the same.
snow report
@drporat, we were in Mayrhofen April 2019, 2022 and 2023.

2022 was a particularly warm April but was also perfectly good skiing.

We found worse in Courcheval in April frankly.....we have also done the 3 valleys for 2 April's (need to work much harder to get years.....). Also found Les Deux Alpes, Val Thorens and Tignes / Val d'Isere no better when it comes to conditions but far worse from a queues perspective as they have the reputation of being good for Easter.
ski holidays
Thanks @NickyJ, luck of the draw as always.
I remember you mentioning those trips.
To me both Tignes and ValTho offer more mileage and firm snow till lunchtime so I can enjoy skiing till the end of the day.
In particular Zillertal Arena was lovely
snow report
Easter is early this year so might be an idea to try somewhere a bit different to the usual suspect high altitude places

Suspect Sport Gastein in the area you mentioned might be good later. Also think there is a glacier somewhere near there (Dachstein or Schmlading?) as was looking in and around that area previously

Otherwise, the usual Easter haunts for high mileage are the following:-

Cervinia / Zermatt
Val Thorens
Tignes / Val D'Isere
Solden / Obergurgl

Hintertux
Kitzsteinhorn

If you want to be sure on the resort you could just book the flights and then choose a resort a few days beforehand on the basis of conditions. Should be able to get somewhere easily enough (for instance Cervinia always seems to have centrally located accommodation at Easter even on a last minute basis)
snow conditions
Both @drporat and @Mother hucker are right, in different years. Wink

Easter can be powder fest or slush fest. All depends on that particular week on that particular year. The reason people ask for “snow sure” is because they need to book well in advance, without knowing what the weather will be like. Yes, high altitude resorts have a better chance of having good snow. It’s more “snow sure”.

@boardiac, if you could wait till say, February, you will have a better idea of what the snowpack is going to be like in April. Austrian Alps is better known for good snowpack preservation thanks to its more inland location. So if there’s good amount of snow by February, chances are good there will be plenty of snow to slide on in early April.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy