Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glenshee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Just came back from a weeks hols in Scotland and whilst in the Dundee area I took the opportunity to visit Glenshee as a bit of a recky for future reference.

I have skied in the Glen Coe area although the snow here is very intermittant and alot of rocks on the pistes.

Would I be right in saying that Glenshee as a better set up and better pistes as although no snow was around the pistes seemed to be more grassy rather than rocky.

Also how good is the snow as it is a lower ski region.

I would always need to plan last minute as it would take me 6 hrs to Dundee and then approx a further 1.5 hrs from Dundee where I would be based.

Surprised that at least one lift wasn't working and no cafe open for sightseers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glenshee has a very extensive area - but suffers badly from being lower. When it's good, it's very good, but, I guess, it has significantly less good days than the other four Scottish areas. It was closed in April this year when Glencoe was just fantastic.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
one of the advantages of Scottish skiing is that it has west and east coast centres. The west favours Polar low and cold zonality set ups and the east favours northerly and easterly blizzards. The biggest snowfalls of all come from the east which is perfect for Glenshee. It has actually had some excellent skiing there in the last couple of seasons albeit over quite a concentrated period.

It has by far the most extensive network and some of the fastest lifts, but the runs are shorter than at cairngorm. However its also cheaper, nearer, more conveinient and more sheltered.

Check out winterhighland.com for all the pics and detailed reports.

http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=232
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just looking at those pix in the sunshine makes me drool (my two days at 'shee last season were of the somewhat murky variety wink ).

Clearest pic I got, on the way down Glas Maol

I think that Glenshee is easily the best ski centre in Scotland what with all the wibbly bits and odd ways to come off just about every slope, shame about the catering though ! I remember loads of unsuspecting peeps taking tumbles and sliding all the way down Coire Fionn before the bashers got to it about 10.30 a.m. and took the glaze away. I'm glad I had good edges though as I could easily have been one of them Laughing .

I'll definitely spend more week day sessions at Glenshee for 06/07 but the weekend days may still have to be at Cairngorm as the weans are still not too hot on T-bars and tows and the funicular makes life too easy.

Roadkill (my kids) on M1 at Cairngorm ......

Roll on November.

Ross

Moffat
snow report
 brian
brian
moffatross, I must say purely on skiing I prefer Nevis and Cairngorm but Glenshee is handy for me, here's a few pics with a glimpse or 2 of blue sky from March 22nd this year ...

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I still like Nevis Range best for the back bowl skiing which is steep at the top as you can see (but there are easier entry points.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To be fair to those who know Scotland's skiing much better than I do, my comment about Glenshee being "easily the best" is based on limited experience but I like the miles I can cover there & it just feels 'big' if that makes sense.

I've only ever skied Nevis range once and that was with my two boys, so the back corries http://www.nevisrange.co.uk/winter/mountain/backcorries.asp# I've not experienced. I will this coming season as the pix of the drop-offs look fantastic. I'm also aware there's a whole side of Cairngorm I've never skiied too. Jeez, there's so much to look forward to !

I will try to hook up with some kind soul from winterhighland / highlandinstinct (bribing them with the offer of a lift from Edinburgh or Glasgow Toofy Grin ) to be my guide for a couple of hours. That might help widen my perspective.

Ross

Moffat
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shee is the largest of the Scottish areas and has the most lifts. When it’s all open it is very good. Glas Maol is a personal fav.
As with all Scottish centres check which is best before you travel. On one day the west and east side resorts could have completely different conditions
I tend to ski mid week so avoid queues (they don’t exist in Scotland mid week) and choose were to go the night before after checking the websites.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"I tend to ski mid week so avoid queues (they don’t exist in Scotland mid week) and choose were to go the night before after checking the websites."

LOL.... Me too. During the interview for my current job I made it very clear that I expected to be able to take a days holiday at a days notice for just this reason. Consequently I've managed to ski some very quiet days although not neccessarily sunny ones). There is of course a down-side to skiing in Scotland when it's quiet and that is that even though snow cover may be fantastic, sometimes the lift you want is not running as happened to me a couple of times 05/06 (e.g. Tiger not running mid-week when I know it was previous and following weekends).

Ross

Moffat
ski holidays
 brian
brian
moffatross, me three Very Happy

Some pics of the back coires at Nevis I took in April this year:

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php?cat=607

If I can swing a day off to coincide with you I'd be happy to show you the ways in and out. Actually Nevis has pretty short queues at weekends as well usually, Glenshee is definitely the worst for catching the daytrippers.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Being based in Carlisle I could probobly make it up to most of the scottish centres in about 3 hours, and as both of our foreign trips this year will be early in the season, I'd love to get a couple of at least day trips in next year.

Just one thing though, how much do they cost?? Pass + Ski Hire, have own boots..

Thanks
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, nice photos. Do I take it that Braveheart wasn't working (judging by the familiar long traverse lines in one photo at the end of the page)?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
snowball, yep. I believe it only ran once last season. I'm not sure why. It used to be dogged with mechanical troubles but I thought they'd replaced the engine ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Brian,

That'd be really helpful. I'll post in the 'trips' thread closer to the time, hopefully in 2006 ! Must warn you though that my Rossi 9S's are definitely not made for the pow Toofy Grin but perhaps I'll hire for the day if the corries are an option.

Cheers

Ross

P.S. AndyC - average day lift pass in Scotalnd was around £25 in last season & ski hire circa £17.

brian wrote:
moffatross, me three Very Happy

Some pics of the back coires at Nevis I took in April this year:

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php?cat=607

If I can swing a day off to coincide with you I'd be happy to show you the ways in and out. Actually Nevis has pretty short queues at weekends as well usually, Glenshee is definitely the worst for catching the daytrippers.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy