Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl off piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have skied a lot in St Anton, but never Ischgl. How does the off-piste compare for good off piste skiers who like steeper slopes?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowball, hello!

I was only there once for an early season weekend, so take this for what it's worth, but I felt there was far less opportunity to ski offpiste because the overall domain was more compact and criss-crossed by pistes.

That said, it's quite possible that a guide would know of routes that are not easily visible during a light piste weekend.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't ski the very steepest slopes but my own observation on the couple of times I've used a guide at Ischgl is that the off piste away from the piste as opposed to very close by is far less skied than at St Anton and you are more likely to get fresher snow.
My son who has done a bit more than me says some of the routes down to Samnaun near the cable car are fairly steep.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ischgl is a resort for intermediates.

Some steeps near the Gronda tram.

Verbier is the holy grail for liftserved steeps in Europe.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowball, No doubt St Anton has the better off piste, though as noted above it gets skied out very quickly. Ischgl is still pretty good and a better location for touring. If you want a change it is worth a visit but I suspect you will be back to the Arlberg before too long. The Arlberg tends to get more snowfall, Ischgl is to some extent in the snow shadow of the mountains around the Arlberg so whilst the resort can be pretty much fully open due to the extensive snow making and the height of the runs the off piste can be pretty thin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ischgl is really well served for "off piste".
Ischgl isn't espceially well served for "side piste".

For off piste you want to head to the top of the Piz Val gondola and turn right. You then have the whole of the Fimba valley, down to the bottom of E4. There's bound to be other areas too but I've never had a guide in Ischgl.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was plenty of untouched steep lines coming down from this lift when we were there last March as well as almost limitless close to piste lines.

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lots of really good stuff, including just off the lift, but fewer long 'routes' compared to the Arlberg. A lot less competition for it though, especially on powder days. Touring opens up some really cool lines too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ive been to Ischgl in the March. The amount of people on resort is quite insane, so majority of offpiste will be tracked pretty quickly, as tbh everywhere else.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mmm with a guide I've had pretty untouched snow during Fasching days after the last snow. Far more people stay on piste compared with the Arlberg in my experience.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
90% of skiers goes to 10% of largest ski resorts, the best for power will be less known, end of the valley, hard to reach, small hidden gems.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ed48 wrote:
Ive been to Ischgl in the March. The amount of people on resort is quite insane, so majority of offpiste will be tracked pretty quickly, as tbh everywhere else.

In Ischgl 95% of those people will never see the wrong side of a piste marker though, so nothing like as bad as a lot of other resorts.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone for your comments. Sorry I have taken a while to reply but I was away walking yesterday without my phone.
My friends and I will be flying out in early January to Innsbruck but deciding at the last minute where to ski (similarly Geneva in February). We will be with a guide but he knows St Anton better. Not sure if he has skied Ischgl but even at resorts he is new to he seems to have the knack of finding unskied or little skied slopes.
Of course if, say, the Dolomites had better snow (unlikely) we might go there. Fantastic steep skiing if the snow is right but a guide is essential. We did the Zillertal as one of our holidays last year but feel we have done that for now.
Yes, of course Verbier is wonderful but we have skied there a lot.

I look forward to skiing with Snowheads for a second time on the Off-Piste bash in March.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy