Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'll be going when my Premium Bonds come up.

Poster: A snowHead
Or when I get a lottery win. The price of ski passes across the pond are becoming ridiculous. I remember going to Canada some time ago, and enjoying fantastic skiing that was comparable cost-wise with Europe. Now, a six day ski pass alone is 50% of a whole week's package holiday in Europe, heck, more if you go to Andora/Eastern Europe.

https://www.snowboarder.com/trending-news/americans-pay-quadruple-the-price-of-lift-tickets?fbclid=IwAR2bafp6AGh43Jmn8pCppLMMMfuq0Y-O5kyr_ddhxs5gvLtDtN3FMHDMYFI
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Day tickets are pricey over there, but there's so many different lift pass options that barely anyone pays that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Day tickets are pricey over there
And over here too! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yet go for 2 weeks and buy a season pass sufficiently in advance and you can ski for under $50 per day. Lodging does however seem to have inflated at least 60% since Covid however.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I once very NEARLY booked a last minute 2 week ski holiday in the Rockies, then saw the lift pass price. So we drove to the Alps instead, and had an excellent "last minute bargain" week at a terrific Ski chalet in Courchevel 1650. The second week we kind of cruised around, ended up in a nice 3* French hotel in Crest Voland, absolutely by chance, and not long afterwards signed up to buy, off plan, a new MGM apartment in Les Saisies, where we spent 4 months a year for 15 brilliant years, with lots of friends and family.

Life's like that..... snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I do a bit for Fall-Line (have for a long time) and do ask the resorts on our annual sit-downs/make them aware plenty of us think this. They argue just plan it better and buy an Ikon/Epic/Indy Pass. I'm sort of slowly coming around to this way of thinking, but you do need to go for longer to make it pay/work... Colorado Gems pass worth a look (excellent 2for1s) and places like Ski Cooper (not Copper!) offer a $30 day each week, so value can be found. There's a page about the best Gems/exact costs/way to do it in the Fall-Line Oct issue, out next week. SkiParty Political Broadcast ends here. Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I come up on the PBs, I'm going to blow the lot on a cup of coffee. rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
US (West) snow is another step or two above European snow.

Creamier, softer, smoother, drier, un-icier, fluffier, deeper.

California got 1000-2000cm of snowfall last season.

Parts of Europe struggled to get 100cm.

You're paying extra cash for an extra better ride.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Yet go for 2 weeks and buy a season pass sufficiently in advance and you can ski for under $50 per day. Lodging does however seem to have inflated at least 60% since Covid however.

It's worth checking direct with the accommodation providers rather than through booking sites. They might have fairly hefty discounts for season pass holders.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes single day lift pass prices are crazy high. But rarely anyone pays the window price. These prices are set so high to push people towards the multi-resort passes, which imo offer way better value than anything in Europe (of course relying on the fact you have the days to use them).

But there are good deals if people look for them. Last year lake Louise spring pass was £360 for unlimited skiing from March 1st (which is still prime conditions). Would have got you up to around 70 days on snow. I'm paying about the same for a 6 day pass for tignes this year.

4 pack at Loveland works out about $60 per day.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's been a while, but I seem to remember juggling multi-day, multi-resort passes at Banff/Lake Louise and refusing the tour ops passes as we were being charged full rate for our kids, but could get discounted passes for them if bought direct. It was a significant saving or I wouldn't have put up with the hassle. In Whistler we booked passes at a discount through accommodation agency, but they still weren't cheap.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Epic season pass right now is $948 That's under £570ish. It also gives you discounts on the mountain of 20% on food and drinks plus on accommodation.
Most Europeans will go to the states for 2weeks due to travel times. So quivalent for eg Tignes is €624 or £550ish.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
if you compare the season passes in USA with these in Europe ist complete vice versa.
Check out e.g. Epic pass with Arlberg pass or others in Switzerland or France.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And the US resorts will argue they are spending a LOT on new infrastructure - see Steamboat's massive new expansion... Has to be paid for somehow...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We should all expect to pay dearly for stupidity or a failure to plan. That’s what those exorbitant day rates are for. It should also be noted that there is no guarantee that a day ticket will be available, as many major resorts limit them. I don’t love how hedge funds have taken over the ski industry, but with my Ikon pass I feel like a thief, with an average daily rate way below $50. You can also choose to avoid places like Jackson Hole and instead ski at Grand Targhee for half the price. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.
snow report
adithorp wrote:
Epic season pass right now is $948 That's under £570ish. It also gives you discounts on the mountain of 20% on food and drinks plus on accommodation.
Most Europeans will go to the states for 2weeks due to travel times. So quivalent for eg Tignes is €624 or £550ish.

You can save a further $250 if you go for an epic local pass rather than a full pass, which will be sufficient for many people.

I don't think you can say Europe or n America is more expensive than the other. It really comes down to type of trip. Even then it's not apples to apples as both offer different experiences. For example, I'd rather pay a bit more for a resort with the inbounds avy controlled off-piste set up on n America, but for someone that likes big km of pistes with a sense of travel Europe will almost certainly be better value for money.
latest report
wiigman wrote:
And the US resorts will argue they are spending a LOT on new infrastructure - see Steamboat's massive new expansion... Has to be paid for somehow...

Frankly all any any infrastructure developments in the US always seem to me to be bragging about small beer given the speed and frequency of major lift upgrades in Euo resorts. Even tiny places with no international profile get things like Chondolas. Plus AIUI a lot of the "expansion" at Steamboat is about rebuilding the base area to provide more retail "opportunities" not actual skiing terrain expansion.
snow conditions
Thing is for the average British tourist looking for trips to USA and Canada, they will not necessarily look for the Epic passes or special deals available, but just see the pass prices advertised by the tour ops. I checked out Crystal earlier and a 13 day Banff/Louise pass was £1067 whilst flight, transfer and hotel (cheapest available) was £1650 pp.
ski holidays
I bit the bullet last year and went to Banff - well worth it. I'm not saying its any better or any worse, just different. I think if you just compare the lift pass prices and use that to decide then you are missing out - there is soooo much more to consider, over and above lift prices. Like, the quality of the snow - best I've ever had and I've been skiing since '82, the scenery is comparable to the Dollies, Downtown is great, hotels room are much bigger etc etc
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy