Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Annual Car Rental Extra Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
This is regarding insurance policies for car rentals, for the additional cover like collision damage and theft etc. Car rental companies notoriously charge an arm and a leg for this. People variously mention companies that offer this independently at much less overall cost. But it takes some searching to find the references. So I thought I'd have a thread where people can mention who they have policies with and any claims experience and recommendations etc.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Insurance4carhire Used them several times - FAR cheaper than taking the hire company's excess. One claim (for callout for a flat tyre and related complications) settled without a problem though, as expected, I paid upfront.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most of the major comparison sites will let you shop around for vehicle hire excess insurance. I’ve used reducemyexcess in the past, never needed to claim, though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have used Questor for a few years now about £40 for European cover. Their call centre is pretty good and I have claimed once with little hassle (as long as you have/can get all the right paperwork needed).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Vehicle excess cover is very different from full CDW etc needed for US. My experience is that it's hard as a UK resident to find CDW exclusive rentals as the default is to include it ( often quite reasonably if you're going through a consolidator).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've not rented a car in the US since I rented one from Hertz for $99 a month, unlimited mileage and did a huge and wonderful winter road trip, spending Christmas in Denver and new year shooting (or in my case failing to shoot) squirrels in Selma Alabama.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We take out an annual excess policy also with Insurance4carhire.

Think it was £60 for worldwide cover incl USA and Canada for the year.

Luckily we’ve not had to claim from them but my uncle did and like @pam w, it was all straight forward.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've also recently had a large claim very well handled by insurance4carhire
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
.... shooting (or in my case failing to shoot) squirrels in Selma Alabama.

I am going to have to revise my mental image of you! A very curious hobby.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Always use insurance4carhire, one claim settled quickly and fuss free. Always buy through topcashback as it reduces the cost significantly.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
I've not rented a car in the US since I rented one from Hertz for $99 a month
Wow! Was that some time ago? The latest Model T Ford @pam w? wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for insurance4carhire which worked out well for me when I claimed a few years back.

Similarly American Express platinum (full cdw, not just excess cover) was good with a claim, and paid out swiftly and in full on a claim last year.

I don’t understand why the car rental companies don’t do their own annual policies as a way of driving repeat business/locking customers in. They could charge a decent premium as it would be hassle-free in terms of not needing paperwork.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for Insurance4carhire, think it was £40 for European and UK cover for the year.

Had a claim from Goldcar and they paid within a week
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Insurance4carhire were great when I had issues in Spain a few years ago. Simple system to make a claim and a quick payout.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mountainaddict, @j b, my Hertz car hire was Christmas/New Year 1970/71. The squirrels, shot in Alabama not by me, were subsequently turned into breakfast by the mother of Vernon, a friend from the Harvard Law School. It was served with "grits 'n gravy" as an example of traditional southern fare. As we were in a car with a Yankee licence plate I was told that if we were stopped by the police I was the one who had to talk. This was just 5 years after the famous Selma race riots. The driver of a car with Boston plates stopped by police in Alabama was better advised to be Welsh than Yankee.

The friend I travelled with, also a Harvard Law Student, was very amused when I suggested, after some thousands of miles, that perhaps we should check the car's tyre pressures and oil level. I was assured there was no need for such old-fashioned concerns with American cars.

Yes - thread diversion, sorry!

I have no idea what insurance the car had..... Embarassed
ski holidays
There are issues with small print.

Things like whether recovery is within the policy.

Think I use reduce my excess as they were the ones I chose a few years ago and often give you a good discount on renewal

But incredibly reasonably priced not that i have ever had the misfortune to claim (had a Portuguese car hire company bothered to clean the car properly they would not have left the papers from a previous hirer showing the damage they tried to stuff us for.....)
latest report
Quote:

had a Portuguese car hire company bothered to clean the car properly they would not have left the papers from a previous hirer showing the damage they tried to stuff us for.....

Laughing
snow report
@countryman, why would recovery be in a policy for damage excess,
snow conditions
Aviva premier? (or plus?) car insurance includes free hire car excess insurance which is handy! It might sway your choice when you come to reinsure.
ski holidays
Sounds great @pam w! Mrs MA is amazed when I remember the price of ski hols, lift passes etc from 30 years ago - but I'm not sure I'll know them in another 20-odd years! Laughing
ski holidays
So thanks for all the replies, and it looks like Insurance4carhire gets the most votes.

One thing I must admit that I hadn't realised is that their cover is only for excess, not if you have collision damage waiver. So you do still have to take out CDW.
snow report
@LaForet, yes you need the CDW, this is to cover the excess only. Its always included in any car hire I've used. I haven't hired in North America though
ski holidays
Another vote for insurance4carhire. About £40 a year, one claim for a scratched alloy (about £600), paid within 24hrs. Next year’s premium actually went down!
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, and biy through quidco for cashback
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@LaForet, yes you need the CDW, this is to cover the excess only. Its always included in any car hire I've used. I haven't hired in North America though

Every rental we've had in North America has included CDW. Never bought an excess insurance, and never had a claim or damage Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@Bones, some of us have more claims paid out than we will ever pay in premiums
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, spot on. My claim was about 15 years premiums!
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, mine was 30 years!. (and that was just one)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Bones, some of us have more claims paid out than we will ever pay in premiums

Agreed - as with all insurance, the masses pay for the few.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Insurance4carhire Used them several times - FAR cheaper than taking the hire company's excess. One claim (for callout for a flat tyre and related complications) settled without a problem though, as expected, I paid upfront.

have also successfully claimed, circa £600
ski holidays
I used eversure and directexcess. Google discount codes because there is always something available. I've had couple claims from directexcess and 1 from eversure. In both cases something was wrong in my paperwork (or lack of it) and both companies did best to resolve, e.g. by contacting car rental directly.
HOWEVER, please read T&Cs!
If you go to Switzerland or Germany and use one of the big brands it's very likely you will end up with a car faster or more expensive than what T&Cs allow for and it could cause an issue (luckily directexcess didn't check it for one of my claims or ignored it).

Not sure about the latest amex T&Cs but couple years ago they didn't have exclusions related to acceleration or car value.
Oh, and one more thing. In some countries SIXT offers possibility of renting a car without additional cover, i.e. you end up having TP only. I once was closed to accidently booking it.
latest report
I have a Revolut Metal plan which includes Car Hire Excess insurance up to £2000. I had to make a Sixt claim a few months ago, they do ask for lots of documents (passport/drivers licence/invoice/photos/damage report), but this seems fairly standard for a claim - fairly quick payout (vaguely recall 1 week).

Also the Metal plan includes the relevant following benefits (there's more on the website):
1) travel insurance (including winter sports cover) for you and immediate family, though I've not claimed (touch wood) so I'm not sure whether it will suit the hardcore skiers on this forum jumping out of helicopters! Laughing
2) better FX rates (zero fees or weekdays): it also allows you to hold CHF and EUR in a virtual wallet
3) £800 ATM withdrawal/month, including abroad (per above post, Revolut don't tend to charge a fee under this amount, but the ATM provider might)
4) SmartDelay: free lounge passes for you + travelling companions (even friends I believe) if Revolut detects your flight (which you must pre-register) is delayed by 2 hours (not sure what they use but the pass has been automatically issued before the airline told me about the delay in a couple of cases!). Could be quite handy if travelling in/out of UK when there's a speckle of snow
5) cashback on hotel/apartment bookings (I guess they get affiliate fees from expedia, which it books through)

Costs £140 for the year (just raised from £120, but they added more perks like FT subscription, tinder rolling eyes , blah), or you can buy a monthly plan ~£15/month. For the metal plan you do get a metal card which seems "fashionable", but given I rarely use an actual card for spending and I'm not cool enough, I just use a regular one.

I would re-iterate to check T&Cs / details of their insurance policies to determine whether it covers your needs, as their limits may be lower than other policies and not cover specific things (not sure how insurers categorise ski gear damage for example)

[Caveat that I'm not a Revolut salesperson nor employee, just a happy early user sharing knowledge...and in full disclosure, I do own a teeny teeny bit of equity, but certainly not enough for a decent ski pass!]

If you do sign up, then please do use the referral link below and I'll donate any referral fees I get towards the forum...
Code:
https://revolut.com/referral/?referral-code=jigartwh!NOV2-23-AR-H2
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy