Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SnowShepherd Lotus Jacket

Poster: A snowHead
This is quite an intriguing jacket, anyone tried it out?

Natural waterproofing whilst being very breathable sounds great, would love to know if anyone (not associated with the company) has tried it out? Some bold claims on the website (and I know the history of the company and have used them many times myself)

Most Sustainable ski/Snowboard Jacket EVER

Most Breathable ski/Snowboard Jacket EVER

Most Waterproof Jacket EVER 100,000mm

https://www.snowshepherd.co.uk/store/SNOWSHEPHERD-LOTUS-JACKETS-c154429762

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 10-10-23 10:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is it insulated?

But it doesn’t seem to have got a lift pass pocket on the forearm. Disaster . Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kitenski, Nice looking jacket, also available in black and pink.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ster wrote:
Is it insulated?

But it doesn’t seem to have got a lift pass pocket on the forearm. Disaster . Very Happy

not exactly a disaster -- pocket is on the upper arm...... Wink

The 'Disaster Darling' for me is the 'Smock' design
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:

Natural waterproofing whilst being very breathable sounds great, would love to know if anyone (not associated with the company) has tried it out? Some bold claims on the website (and I know the history of the company and have used them many times myself)

weirdly little info on what this miracle fabric actually is?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Doesn't look like a helmet compatible hood. I had a purple Nevica jacket in a somewhat similar design back in the 90's . It's got a hint of Paramo Velez about it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jedster wrote:
kitenski wrote:

weirdly little info on what this miracle fabric actually is?

Woven from Lotus Flower stems ??

https://samatoa.lotus-flower-fabric.com/eco-textile-mill/lotus-fabric/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I found the same when looking for the fabric but the vendors seem to suggest it is a silk like fabric for fashion items like scarves. Anyone know how it works for outdoor applications unless it means saturating it woth TX10 etc like Paramo?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sizing looks odd - small to fit 39-41 inch chest?! Obviously targeted at (ski) gods with unearthly physiques, or perhaps sized for the future population of the Western world.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've never seen any clothings waterproofness rated that high. Would be interested to know what lab even has a 10m tube for testing! Obviously complete overkill, even a good expedition tent doesn't need to be that waterproof.

Not sure when people will finally clock on nothing that is extremely waterproof is going to be that breathable. As much as companies want to spend on material design and marketing, big pit zips are the low tech, widely available, and cheap solution.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
albob wrote:
ster wrote:
Is it insulated?

not exactly a disaster -- pocket is on the upper arm...... Wink

The 'Disaster Darling' for me is the 'Smock' design

For tall people, the liftvpass pocket on the upper arm isn't ideal as I found on the shell jacket I bought last year, wore it one day & never worn it since.

For me, the lack of a lower arm pass pocket = useless as a ski jacket.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@albob, yeah would go down to my knees
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
£400 plus. Can't help feeling I would be better off with norrona lofoten shell.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boarder2020 wrote:
...nothing that is extremely waterproof is going to be that breathable. As much as companies want to spend on material design and marketing, big pit zips are the low tech, widely available, and cheap solution.
I think we've figured that out. At least those of us who used to use bin bags to keep the rain off. This one has side openings like the Buffalo shirt thingy, which presumably is how they deal with that. But my bin-bags have presumably a fairly large "waterproofness", depending on precisely how one does the measurement.

But more choice is always good. The market they're aiming at is clear enough.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boarder2020 wrote:
I've never seen any clothings waterproofness rated that high. Would be interested to know what lab even has a 10m tube for testing! Obviously complete overkill, even a good expedition tent doesn't need to be that waterproof.

Not sure when people will finally clock on nothing that is extremely waterproof is going to be that breathable. As much as companies want to spend on material design and marketing, big pit zips are the low tech, widely available, and cheap solution.

That was my thinking and why I looked for more info on the fabric. It sounds like magic so I would want to see a bit more evidence and there is none. I find it weird give snow shepherd have a good reputation.
latest report
WASHOUT wrote:
£400 plus. Can't help feeling I would be better off with norrona lofoten shell.

Isn't that like saying 45k for a VW ID3, I'd be better off with a Taycan? How much does a lofoten cost now? 700? more?
snow report
The bright yellow norrona lofoten shell same design as the lotus jacket us £400 on norrona outlet website. All sizes and free del
snow conditions
WASHOUT wrote:
The bright yellow norrona lofoten shell same design as the lotus jacket us £400 on norrona outlet website. All sizes and free del

good buy then! If you can live with bright yellow I guess
snow report
Maybe ask @snowshepherd - they're on here aren't they?
snow report
eps wrote:

you'd think they might have responded, wouldn't you?
snow report
Tim/livetoski hasn't posted much recently, and did say earlier in the year his son had taken over a lot of the business - and the son might not be on here much?

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=163560
Quote:
I thought it would be worth while to update about Snowshepherd, I have decided to take a very much back seat in the operation, and let my son Brandon run the business, a bit of youth and a new approach is needed. As old friends will know I started Snowshepherd back in 2009, as an off piste opertion, but over time it devolped into us being a Glove manufactuer!

snow report
jedster wrote:
eps wrote:

you'd think they might have responded, wouldn't you?

Probably busy making/selling stuff
snow report
I found SnowShepherd! At the ski show, with jackets to look at Laughing

Edit: had a chat about the jackets - they are very nice in person.
Tim said he'll pop back on the forum at some point to answer questions Very Happy
snow report
https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/lofoten/lofoten-gore-tex-pro-anorak-men/?color=5522 Can’t think where they got the idea for the colour or design .
snow conditions
@mishmash, Norrona
May have got it from Bergans or Paramo.
latest report
Hi all, sorry for slow update, as you can imagine have been a bit busy recently ! And I don't post often nowadays here.
So, yes we launched the new snowshepherd
Lotus jacket today at the NEC show.
I met @fixx who told me about this thread
So yep 3 different colours of jackets pink, black and snowshepherd yellow to match our gloves.
The fabric is lotus flowers steams woven into a fabric, the waterproof level is 100.000mm yep the highest ever. And they are fully breathable no chemicals plastics or anything other than the zips.
This is not magic just almost 2 years of research and rnd by my son brandon, and testing last year, plus he went to the factory recently to to see the production.
Many of you know me personally on this forum, so I can assure you, we always try and do something different, I can assure you that this jacket breaks new ground.
And hopefully other brands will take notice and stop greenwashing their plastic jackets.
Sustainability is not a choice its a responsibility for the generations to come.
snow report
@livetoski, well done, looks a great product
ski holidays
Interested material, not in the market for one, but will have a look if its at the London show as well.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ster, Thanks yes we are at London next weekend Eh oh!
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:
@ster, Thanks yes we are at London next weekend Eh oh!

Cool, will see you there!
snow report
@livetoski, considering 30,000mm is considered highly waterproof (and good enough for expedition tents and fly sheets), is 100k really any different in practice? I suspect many companies have waterproof ratings well above 30k, but don't bother testing any more as simply reporting 30k is pretty much "gold standard".

The most breathable jacket ever is quite a claim, especially for something far more waterproof than traditional breathable materials. What was the breathability rating?
ski holidays
@boarder2020, hi, I really do beg to differ !
Tents are a totally different ball game for the waterproof rating as its a flat surface.

There are lots of brands that offer over 30k ratings, and yes it makes a huge difference the higher you go.

I have a Ortovox jacket that is 50k it gets wet after about an hour of rain, I have a RAB downpour 25k that gets wet through during a short drizzle lol.

Put it like this, the 100% natural, lotus stem fabric you can submerge it in water for 2 months take it out give it a small shake and its dry !

Its breathability is really high its a totally natural product with not one chemical in it or added to it.

The ratings are due to its natural properties, suggest you Google and read up on the life cycle of Lotus Flowers, during the night time the flowers and stems submerge into the mud of the lake, they reamerge the next morning dry and with no mud on them, no its not magic its nature at its finest
ski holidays
@livetoski, well done, sounds like it could be a real game changer and raised the bar with a natural product also, hope you've patented it before the big brands get a whiff of those lotus flowers.
snow report
@livetoski, you seem to be dodging the question about breathability. I assumed you would have had it tested to make the claim it's the most breathable jacket? You are really suggesting this is more breathable than a lightweight less waterproof jacket?

What lab was the waterproofing rating tested in? Would be good to know where has a 10m tube.

It's all well and good talking about lotus plants, but I'm not sure that directly translates to the processed jacket you end up with.

It's definitely good you are using sustainable options. (Although I'm not sure many consumers really care). I'm sure it's a good jacket. I'm just a little skeptical about some of your claims which seem a little too extraordinary.
snow report
livetoski wrote:
Hi all, sorry for slow update, as you can imagine have been a bit busy recently ! And I don't post often nowadays here.
So, yes we launched the new snowshepherd
Lotus jacket today at the NEC show.
I met @fixx who told me about this thread
So yep 3 different colours of jackets pink, black and snowshepherd yellow to match our gloves.
The fabric is lotus flowers steams woven into a fabric, the waterproof level is 100.000mm yep the highest ever. And they are fully breathable no chemicals plastics or anything other than the zips.
This is not magic just almost 2 years of research and rnd by my son brandon, and testing last year, plus he went to the factory recently to to see the production.
Many of you know me personally on this forum, so I can assure you, we always try and do something different, I can assure you that this jacket breaks new ground.
And hopefully other brands will take notice and stop greenwashing their plastic jackets.
Sustainability is not a choice its a responsibility for the generations to come.

It's actually woven from stems or some fibre is extracted from the stems, spun into thread and woven?
2 years seems like an incredible SHORT r&d time for an entirely novel performance fabric or did the fabric exist for other applications and you've repurposed it for this application.
Your pricing also sound very low if the fabric is being made in small quantities. I mean ventile cotton makes things much more expensive and must have much better scale economies.
Excuse me if I sound unfairly sceptical but when someone says they have come up with a new material superior in every important specification with a couple of years it just sounds too good to be true. I'm sure you can understand that reaction. I'd have though you would want a much fuller discussion of how it works on your website to address that?
The other thing is that if it is as good as you say why not sell it to e.g., Patagonia it would fit their brand ambitions and they'd be able to monetise the tech much more effectively I'd have thought?
snow report
@jedster, good shout regards Patagucci, right up their Strasse you'd think, also Norrona both great sustainable brands.
ski holidays
https://samatoa.lotus-flower-fabric.com/eco-textile-mill/lotus-fabric/

google found me this - someone selling handwoven textiles form lotus stems. The stems are spun into thread and then woven. The site says that the fabric is very breathable and doesn't wrinkle but makes no claims on waterproofness. Must be some additional process that provides the waterproofing I guess?
latest report
@jedster,
Thanks really good response, the material is woven in Cambodia, from stem extract its an ancient process, reinvented a few years ago.
The fabric was developed by them, its just that they don't publicise it on their website.

Our factory have made a jacket before of this fabric but not for the ski industry, actually for a more water based sport lol

Your very right about the price I wanted to go much higher!

When you consider it takes 40,000 stems to make 1 Square meter of fabric and all this is done by hand with zero emissions

I hope other brands look at it but their margin requirements are huge, so they may well have looked at it already and decided that charging well over £1000 a jacket would not work.

I will try and get some sort of video out to you guys to show the waterproof nature, maybe an old git like me stood in a cold shower for an hour might do it Eh oh!
snow report
@livetoski, send me a demo jacket to Leeds and I'll wear it in the forecast rain storms up a Yorkshire hill then post it back to you!
snow report
@kitenski,
Will see what I can do

Nice to see your still active on Snowheads
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy