Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SL piste ski

Poster: A snowHead
So I have been looking for a piste ski for a few seasons now but not been able to decide on one and would welcome sH's opinions.
Those who know me know that I am both extremely short (1.6m for the record) and also my skiing style is to turn a lot, like seriously, a lot. So SL skis are definitely my weapon of choice, however which one?.
Also this will be a ski that I will want to ski on all day and be able to accommodate some lazy skiing for when I just want to take a bit of a breather and cruise without being dumped on my bottom by a highly strung plank that I am standing on.
Body weight is fluctuating recently as I am in training for the winter wine drinking competitions (AKA Bashes) but hope to be skiing at 62 kg.
Again those who know me know that I am remarkably Scottish and as a result very wary of parting with my cash unless in a good cause. So a quality SL ski at a reasonable price in a length that is rarely available - hmmm.
I have consulted a favourite sH guru in all matters technical and @spyderjon recommends Dynastar Speed Master SL in 156cm with R22 race plate and SPX Rockerace bindings.
@admin has recommended I test the FIS version.
Unfortunately the softer speed master was not available to test at the Oktobertest or I would have made the pilgrimage from Perth to test them back to back. And yes I realise how much they cost but am prepared to spend to get a great ski but not prepared to lash out that much on something I have never been on before.
Conundrum Confused
I may try some different hire skis at the PSB or even BB to see if anything grabs me but I would value ideas from fellow sH's Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Master version is stiff but has a fairly even flex through the whole ski. The FIS version has a stiff flex but with a very stiff tail, which means the ski wants to accelerate more out of the end of the turn and also means it will throw you on your bottom more if you get accidentally back seat. For all day skiing with some laziness the Master version will be more forgiving and still give bags of grip.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am a similar weight and loved some Atomic SL11s @157 that I got back in 2003. When the chance came up just prior to leaving the EU, to get some SZ-12 in a 158, I bought them at considerable discount from Glisshop. They have a very similar turn radius and I really like them.

In case it's of interest, I see that Glisshop currently have some Dynastar Speed 763 in a 158 @ 27% off, with a further 15% off as well. I think they are very similar to the SZ12s and have a turn radius of 12m. https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski-set-bindings/dynastar/alpine-ski-set-speed-763-konect-bindings38526315
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowrider, Thanks, that is the conclusion I had come to but not having skied either I am not certain which would suit.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Old Fartbag, Good to have a recommendation to look out for . Will see what is available to hire in Tignes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderjon isn't wrong, the Speed Master SL is a lovely ski, and it was the ski I was thinking as I started reading your post.

What about checking out for something second hand? Perhaps on facebook etc?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think that @snowrider, is spot on. I really loved the Masters and also found them not quite as full on as the various FIS variants (which are very similar - as they probably should be). SL skis can be hard work for the the work rate involved in turning that much..... Of the FIS SL sis I've tried, Atomic (doubledeck version) were very hard work. Volkl were ok but dull. Admins White Stars were decent and very predictable. I'd hold out for a go on the Masters, they struck me as pretty classy.
I find myself coveting @Seahoob's GS version.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@swskier, Great to have confirmation of that and the Speed Master is definitely top of the list for me at present. I do not do Facebook but will have a scout around.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Klamm Franzer, I have also looked at @Seahoob's skis rather enviously. I wanted to beg him for a go on them last year (or was it the year before - time flies when ones years advance) but they were so new that I would have been mortified if I had put the slightest scratch on them Confused .
I did try them at the Oktobertest last year but couldn't get enough speed to do more than one turn in the fridge so pretty pointless.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Be aware Dynastar have dropped the version with the R22 plate this year, so if you want that you need to buy second hand or last years version. This year only the Konnect version available. Both versions have been available in previous years. Rossignol still making a Master SL with R22 plate this year.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowrider wrote:
Be aware Dynastar have dropped the version with the R22 plate this year, so if you want that you need to buy second hand or last years version. This year only the Konnect version available. Both versions have been available in previous years. Rossignol still making a Master SL with R22 plate this year.

That's incorrect!

For 23/24 Dynastar are offering the Speed Omeglass Master SL skis with a number of bindings options:

- Konect dual rail + SPX14 bindings
- R22 plates only (but the plate only accepts SPX Rockerace/Race Metrix bindings)
- R22 plates + SPX15 Rockerace bindings
- R22 plates + SPX12 Race Metrix bindings
- R22 plates + SPX Rockerace bindings

Also note that the Dynastar Speed 963 is the exact same ski as the Master SL but with a different topsheet but it is only available with the Konect dual rail and either SPX12 or NX12 bindings.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bought the Speed 963 last season, I'm 168cm/70kg and went for the 162 ski, awesome slalom ski, really turny but stable, fantastic edge grip and gave me the best CARV score of the entire season!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snowheid, I'm not sure you'll find a lot of true difference between brands. There were quite a few Volkls on eBay a few weeks ago when I looked ... FIS versions do demand a little bit of attention, all the time, but are a hoot.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If the R22 version of the Master SL is still available I stand corrected, but it is no longer on the Dynastar website, hence why I thought it was discontinued.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@snowheid, I'm not sure you'll find a lot of true difference between brands. There were quite a few Volkls on eBay a few weeks ago when I looked ... FIS versions do demand a little bit of attention, all the time, but are a hoot.

I think this is largely true particularly if you're not actual racing. And even then most substantial differences due to the particular raceplate/riser. Be aware that full FIS WC skis are approximately the same weight as black holes.

Plenty of stuff secondhand as people flog on training skis etc. Just watch for amount of edge left.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, there were quite a few pairs of new Völkl GSs around, £250-300ish
snow conditions
Slight thread drift here but just interested as to how race plates affect the ramp angle? Reason I ask is that I dont have great flexibility in my ankles and as a result have a bit of difficulty getting fully forward in my boots at all times.

Quote:

Be aware that full FIS WC skis are approximately the same weight as black holes.

I do like a bit of weight in a piste ski and am particularly interested in good build quality which the Dynastars seem to be renowned for.

Also less interested in second hand but more in discounted last years model type of deal or ex demo etc.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 8-10-23 11:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@snowheid, This is absolutely not my area of expertise - more that of Spyderjon and CEM - but my understanding is this:

- Different bindings have different Delta angles
- Different boots have different Ramp angles
- These different angles can add to each other or offset each other to some degree
- Having a Plate means the binding is much easier to shim and change the Delta angle on, than a Rail binding
- You need to see someone who is "on top" of this info and can advise you well, as it's a minefield
- Try and improve your range of ankle flex movement through stretching and rolling
snow report
@Old Fartbag,
CEM did comment on it when he did my footbeds and I have been doing regular stretching exercises since which has helped a bit.
And I like to steer clear of minefields so probably case of get skis and ski them - if problems consult the guru snowHead's
snow report
snowheid wrote:
@Old Fartbag,
CEM did comment on it when he did my footbeds and I have been doing regular stretching exercises since which has helped a bit.
And I like to steer clear of minefields so probably case of get skis and ski them - if problems consult the guru snowHead

TBF It's only a minefield if you go in blindfolded. Find out where the mines are placed by consulting someone with a map - and the chance of making it through unscathed is greatly increased. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I have found these 936's on a dutch site:
https://www.snowcountry.eu/23-dynastar-speed-963-spx-12-konect-gw-html.html?artikel_maat=65234&country=GB&curr=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsJizxNTlgQMV2tbtCh3Fmw-OEAQYHSABEgJqCfD_BwE
Looks like a good deal and aware that I would pay UK VAT and an admin charge but does anyone know if import duty would be charged?(another minefield rolling eyes ).
The carrier they use apparently is UPS which I have seen a report on the forum, posted by @Glasgowcyclops , of charging duty when it is not applicable so a bit wary.
ski holidays
snowheid wrote:
https://www.snowcountry.eu/23-dynastar-speed-963-spx-12-konect-gw-html.html?artikel_maat=65234&country=GB&curr=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsJizxNTlgQMV2tbtCh3Fmw-OEAQYHSABEgJqCfD_BwE
Looks like a good deal and aware that I would pay UK VAT and an admin charge but does anyone know if import duty would be charged?(another minefield rolling eyes ).
The carrier they use apparently is UPS which I have seen a report on the forum of charging duty when it is not applicable so a bit wary.

You would need to contact them directly....but I would expect extra charges.

Glisshop have all charges included.....I see the Dutch skis come with the better Konect bindings and are 156....but would the skis I linked to in a 158, be a reasonable compromise, with around a similar 40% discount (including the extra 15%) to the UK? The Plate is supposed to make a considerable difference - which means that the 963 and 763 with the less performance orientated Konect Bindings, could be reasonably close in performance....though the 963 has a radius of 11m vs 12m of the 763.

This rundown might still be relevant: https://skikitinfo.com/whats-new/2122/dynastar-s-line-skis/

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 8-10-23 12:36; edited 2 times in total
snow report
These look tasty https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256231309880?hash=item3ba8938238:g:jUYAAOSwVRBlEIb6&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4K5mOFeXWJImjZzqQ3ctfMriy6GtzHzkB5Gzk2tGiqWiQxfI8srTiflWWkjRhXdkMOGSnCMZe%2FdgWXrv61WhSQHdn1pwaX1GKbIQWCgrZU%2FXXHIC4FIreOFdOgiUKdnYCu6QEOat0T5bOx%2Fr5r0Fiawb3DYMz8GU9ptf6EUuIIys1747LOOQ8oEb%2BEt0Woj3XnEyAbEk3sGx718vPzdPV6gW7MPmMz65QrPXGoOYPzW6%2FuHBvgWOgZdl5qVjmNvtIFrv75kBBa8zBViwsQSnFKGJHnUibhOo298F87cBgase%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-jq9O_hYg
snow report
@snowheid, what about getting them delivered to whichever accommodation you're staying in this year?

Where are you going away to this season? Long shot, but if it's the Zillertal, you're welcome to have them delivered to mine and I'll store them until you get away. That'll save any tax issues.
snow conditions
@swskier, Thanks for that offer, very kind of you. Not totally outside bounds of possibility as I was half thinking of driving out for the BBash double and had a half formed idea of stopping for a sneaky Austrian ski on the way there or way back. Very Happy .
I will see how things pan out.
snow report
@snowheid, Zillertal not a million miles off the Brunner pass at Innsbruck down to the Dolomites, so could work.

Offers there should you want/need it.
snow report
@snowheid, FWIW. If you can get the Dutch Dynastars at the price advertised, then they are likely the better buy (IMO).
latest report
I've got a pair of the speed masters (165cm) They really are the dogs bs. I skied with someone last year who was on stokli sls, with a pink metallic top. She would have bought a pair, excepting the cost!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why not buy a pair of Original +? Bespoke to your personal specifications Cool
snow report
snowheid wrote:
The carrier they use apparently is UPS which I have seen a report on the forum, posted by @Glasgowcyclops , of charging duty when it is not applicable so a bit wary.

I looked at this recently, you shouldn't pay an additional duty, just UK VAT + handling charge (normally a total of 22.5% extra). The UK / EU trade deal is effectively free trade, so no duty but still paperwork for VAT etc. However if it was bought from a company in an EU country the physical item is dispatched from a non EU country the situation would obviously be different.
ski holidays
Having tried the masters SL and the 963 back to back although they are the same ski the R22 plate makes a world of difference IMHO. The masters with the plate was a lot of fun, the 963 with konnect just left me feeling a bit flat. I actually bought the FIS because I wanted it for racing, but if I was looking for an everyday SL ski I'd be very happy on the Masters.
As for the ramp angle (well... really the binding delta...) The R22 plate raises the toe piece a little so that there is a zero delta (I think). This is also my personal preference so may be one reason I very much preferred the masters with R22 plate over the 963 without.
ski holidays
@Tubaski, Thank you, and good to hear from someone who has tried them back to back and skis at a very similar level to me Very Happy
It seems to me that the 'sensible choice' is the Masters, just having real problems spending 3 times what I have ever spent on a pair of skis before Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy