Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corvara - Advice for total newbies please!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello! Corvara (and snow holiday) newbies here! Looking for tips and recommendations please! Staying in Corvara in Feb half term...

Ski school - which is the best one? We have two teenagers who want to learn to snowboard and two adults who need a ski refresher (inexperienced)
Lessons - how many is recommended? Lessons seem to be 1.5 hours
Equipment hire - do you hire from the ski school or do it separately?
Lunch and dinner - we have some veggies and fussy pants among us - any tips for great bakeries, cafes etc? Is there a decent supermarket?
Nice bars for an evening drink - anywhere great?
Clothing!!! We have NOTHING! What are good brands to look for in terms of skipants jackets, gloves? Was going to head to Decathlon but is there anywhere else recommended to try? What are things we MUST take?! (especially for someone who struggles with the cold!)
I think that's it..... thanks in advance Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not many ski schools hire equipment it is usually sports shops do it.
I haven't taken lessons here so cannot recommend individual ski schools.

Decathlon are good for clothing. This thread has pretty good recommendations for ski clothing
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621

There are a couple of supermarkets which are fine.

It's a great place to stay but can be busy over feb half term
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SamB, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Corvara and the Alta Badia area is excellent for newbies, plenty of blue runs. The nearby ski area of Colfosco is also well worth a visit, with its wide gentle blue run underneath the Sodlisia chair, and the Edelweiss side valley.

As regards clothing Aldi and Lidl keep some great value items, but they tend to only have them in during a SpecialBuys particular week, best to keep an eye out on their websites.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lots of outwear available second hand - here, and eBay. But yes, Decathlon excellent. Beginner snowboarders will do well with lessons all week (either morning or afternoon), which is also generally a lot cheaper than private lessons. Ski lessons good for the week, too, and generally great fun - the instructors will find you the best places to go, help you not get stuck in lift queues, and you'll cover a lot more ground than messing around on your own.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Covara is great place to start your adventure/obsession.

Supermarkets are out of town and small but will have what you need.

Lunch and Dinner - everywhere is amazing - its Italy (but also its not so its a mix of the best of both Tyrol(Autrian) and Italian.) Vegies should be OK, most places label their menus although it might not be extensive.
Bars wise, its quite quiet, its more a chill out and look beautiful kind of a place, go with it wink

Hire is separate - sport kostner is fair - can hire online in advance or go in and talk through your needs with them. Small discount in advance.

Clothing, ski clothing doesnt have to be anything special, if you go outside in the UK in winter you will have most of what you need with the exception of ski-trousers and maybe gloves. Goggles also fit with helmets better than sunglasses (you must take eye protection).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just chipping in with a question about Corvara, anyone know if you can ski from one side to the other easily? i.e from the col alto side to the boe side.

I've looked at various maps and can see there's a stream of river splitting the two sides, do you have to walk across?

Thanks
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't advise specifically on Corvara - have done some skiing there but not been based there - but can make suggestions on clothes. Basically you need salopettes (insulated waterproof trousers) since you are unlikely to have anything similar already, ski gloves, ski socks, a helmet and eye protection. You can get away without a ski-specific jacket, it is fine to use a standard waterproof shell (Goretex or similar) with a thick fleece under and you will need base and mid-layer below that. Although fairly inexpensive wraparound sunglasses (need cat 3 or 4 UV protection in Feb) will work if the weather is fine they let you down should it start snowing while you are on the mountain, and it is easier in some ways to invest in basic ski goggles that you just wear over your helmets all the time. You will rent ski boots and skis initially (you can rent helmets, but the weekly rent is often not much different from buying a budget one).

Decathlon (French company with a good reputation for technical quality of cost-effective gear) is good if there is one nearby, but you will find adequate and inexpensive kit in shops like Trespass and Mountain Warehouse which are found on many High Streets (also occasionally in some supermarkets as mentioned above). That would last you several holidays, by which time you would have a fair idea of what you might want to upgrade. And if at that stage you were confident you would continue with ski holidays you should consider the fairly expensive investment in your own professionally fitted ski boots.

Lessons, agree with others that it will be more effective and almost certainly more fun to join a class. Lunch, if everyone has morning classes then a cafe near the ski school base is probably cheaper than higher up but you might enjoy a mountain restaurant occasionally. For drinks and dinner you will have to explore to see what you like, plus in many places there are options for takeaway style food if you have self-catering accommodation with an oven/microwave. You will find veggie options, but they may be limited to a few pizza and pasta sauce choices.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SamB wrote:
Hello! Corvara (and snow holiday) newbies here! Looking for tips and recommendations please! Staying in Corvara in Feb half term...

we've self catered there twice for ca 3 weeks in total, we really like it but ski rather than board, we were at the top end of town so most of our knowledge is based around there. Where are you staying ?

school, I think there is only one in Corvara - we used these https://www.scuolascicorvara.it/en/corvara-ski-school.php but only for private lessons, they were well organised and have a nice set-up right next to the car park and 2 key lifts.

lessons - up to you but probably beginners definitely at least half days for all week, for skiing group lessons are only 5 days (no Sunday so maybe private lessons for the beginners to get their feet?). The half day lessons have a full day on Friday when they take the group on a ski day trip appropriate for their level. unlike some schools they also do full days 10-4 but, these have intermediates going all over the place every day, Sella Ronda, Marmolada glacier. (I had private lessons before the group lessons so my instructor would be telling me where he was taking his group of teenagers that day). Their snowboard lessons look more limited though.

Hire - we've used both sport kostner and sport alfredo both were good, book direct to get a discount, Alfredo probably had the edge but we were staying in accommodation owned by the same people so not sure if we got special treatment (at one point I got a pair of almost new skis rrp ca Eur1k). Can't comment on the ski schools hire place, depending on good reviews and where you are staying it might be best to use them and see if the ski school will give/rent you lockers. Part of Corvara is very close to the slopes but there is a section a bit further away and you probably don't want to be dragging gear around, though obviously there are ski buses. Ask your hotel/accommodation if they have a deal with someone, don't pay full price !

Lunch - special mention to Rifugio Pralongia - surrounded by blue runs and great food, they catered for gluten free so should handle veggie etc well

Dinner - there is a good-enough Pizza place (Pizzeria Fornella which will have a queue during holiday time) and we've eaten at La Tambra which was very good but not cheap and Posta Zirma which was very bad...

Supermarkets - there are 2, a Conad at the top of the hill which we think is the best (near Hotel la Perla on the map) it has a butchers counter etc but is still fairly small, ok for essentials and a Despar which is "ok" at the bottom of the hill. You can manage with these for a week but if you have a car the nearest good supermarket is a decent COOP in La Villa, you can get a bus there.

Bars - these will change every year but TBH there aren't many, there is one lively bar next to Hotel La Perla, you can ski right up to it and it's definitely for a younger crowd. Think pumping German Tecno etc, then a few more low key places in hotels etc we used to go to L'got (?) which is opposite the Conad supermarket, think Aperol Spritz and Jazz.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Owls101 wrote:
Just chipping in with a question about Corvara, anyone know if you can ski from one side to the other easily? i.e from the col alto side to the boe side.

I've looked at various maps and can see there's a stream of river splitting the two sides, do you have to walk across?

Thanks

There is a bridge across which you ski over. Getting around on the col alto side (Alta Badia) isn't always obvious from the piste map.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar wrote:
Owls101 wrote:

Thanks

There is a bridge across which you ski over. Getting around on the col alto side (Alta Badia) isn't always obvious from the piste map.

just to clarify there isn't a bridge which you can just ski over, it's a walk through town and either then across a grassy area with a footbridge that is normally is cleared of snow or there is also a road bridge a short distance further up (Str Col Alt).

from the Boe side to Col Alto you could walk but it's easiest to get the chairlift (29 on map) which is probably built for this purpose, turn left when you get off and then short ski down, turning right at the piste junction (on the current piste map this is right where the number 29 is) you drop down under the road and then go over a small track by some hotels and an Apres bar, takes a few minutes.

From Col Alto to Boe you have to walk maybe 300-400 hundred metres but unless your accommodation is by the lift you can easily avoid this walk, just don't take the end part of the red piste 4, if on this piste join blue 5 near Arlara and ski down to the bottom of the Boe lift. If you do walk there is a cut through right by the Col Alto lift station that takes you onto the main road. If you take the road route on Str Col Alt you can jump on the piste a few hundred metres up from the Boe lift (by Ciasa Burje on google maps).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
richb67 wrote:
T Bar wrote:
Owls101 wrote:

Thanks

just to clarify there isn't a bridge which you can just ski over, it's a walk through town and either then across a grassy area with a footbridge that is normally is cleared of snow or there is also a road bridge a short distance further up (Str Col Alt).

from the Boe side to Col Alto you could walk but it's easiest to get the chairlift (29 on map) which is probably built for this purpose, turn left when you get off and then short ski down, turning right at the piste junction (on the current piste map this is right where the number 29 is) you drop down under the road and then go over a small track by some hotels and an Apres bar, takes a few minutes.

From Col Alto to Boe you have to walk maybe 300-400 hundred metres but unless your accommodation is by the lift you can easily avoid this walk, just don't take the end part of the red piste 4, if on this piste join blue 5 near Arlara and ski down to the bottom of the Boe lift. If you do walk there is a cut through right by the Col Alto lift station that takes you onto the main road. If you take the road route on Str Col Alt you can jump on the piste a few hundred metres up from the Boe lift (by Ciasa Burje on google maps).

I was taking the question as meaning can you ski from one ski area to the other rather than from the base of one lift to the other.
To get from the col alto side you need to ski over a bridge to get back to the boe side . To get from the boe side you need to get a chair lift, ie you can ski both ways but if you end up at the bottom of the actual col alto lift and don't want to get it back up yes you have to walk.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://openskimap.org/#15.39/46.547174/11.875408

this is accurate
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@hobbiteater, @T Bar, @richb67, thanks for your advice and tips..much appreciated!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richb67 wrote:
SamB wrote:

we've self catered there twice for ca 3 weeks in total, we really like it but ski rather than board, we were at the top end of town so most of our knowledge is based around there. Where are you staying ?

school, I think there is only one in Corvara - we used these https://www.scuolascicorvara.it/en/corvara-ski-school.php but only for private lessons, they were well organised and have a nice set-up right next to the car park and 2 key lifts.

lessons - up to you but probably beginners definitely at least half days for all week, for skiing group lessons are only 5 days (no Sunday so maybe private lessons for the beginners to get their feet?). The half day lessons have a full day on Friday when they take the group on a ski day trip appropriate for their level. unlike some schools they also do full days 10-4 but, these have intermediates going all over the place every day, Sella Ronda, Marmolada glacier. (I had private lessons before the group lessons so my instructor would be telling me where he was taking his group of teenagers that day). Their snowboard lessons look more limited though.

Hire - we've used both sport kostner and sport alfredo both were good, book direct to get a discount, Alfredo probably had the edge but we were staying in accommodation owned by the same people so not sure if we got special treatment (at one point I got a pair of almost new skis rrp ca Eur1k). Can't comment on the ski schools hire place, depending on good reviews and where you are staying it might be best to use them and see if the ski school will give/rent you lockers. Part of Corvara is very close to the slopes but there is a section a bit further away and you probably don't want to be dragging gear around, though obviously there are ski buses. Ask your hotel/accommodation if they have a deal with someone, don't pay full price !

Lunch - special mention to Rifugio Pralongia - surrounded by blue runs and great food, they catered for gluten free so should handle veggie etc well

Dinner - there is a good-enough Pizza place (Pizzeria Fornella which will have a queue during holiday time) and we've eaten at La Tambra which was very good but not cheap and Posta Zirma which was very bad...

Supermarkets - there are 2, a Conad at the top of the hill which we think is the best (near Hotel la Perla on the map) it has a butchers counter etc but is still fairly small, ok for essentials and a Despar which is "ok" at the bottom of the hill. You can manage with these for a week but if you have a car the nearest good supermarket is a decent COOP in La Villa, you can get a bus there.

Bars - these will change every year but TBH there aren't many, there is one lively bar next to Hotel La Perla, you can ski right up to it and it's definitely for a younger crowd. Think pumping German Tecno etc, then a few more low key places in hotels etc we used to go to L'got (?) which is opposite the Conad supermarket, think Aperol Spritz and Jazz.

You've made my day, the bar is called LeMurren (but known as the Cowshed) and our ski group all well over 40, mostly late 50's & early 60's but up to 80 absolutely love it so to be described as the younger crowd is fabuloys- thank you Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've not stayed in Corvara but I have been to Alta Badia twice. The lunch options are the best of any ski area I've been to. I've enjoyed Bioch (great views, massive terrace), La Brancia (lovely inside, big fire on a cold day and lovely terrace out, but there are 3 restaurant choices near here and the others may be just as good), La Utia (a vegetarian pasta dish that brings a tear to my eye 5 years on), Florian (awesome dumplings) and Piz Boe Alpine Lodge (incredible views from picture windows inside, sheltered suntrap pizzeria outside). I've slightly less enjoyed Las Vegas (a bit expensive), Cherz (though I do remember seeing an awesome Gluten Free meal going to a Swedish lady sitting near me) and Moritzino (nice but expensive, a bit dark in bits inside, excessively banging music outside). I've seen rave reviews for Col Alt but not been. I've ducked into Pralongia for a child loo stop and it gets bonus points for having the toilets on the entrance level. There are often 2 or 3 huts/restaurants available from every lift and the standard of food and the views are unbelievable TBH. I doubt there are many/any you can go wrong with. I did see someone complaining about wandering around a village looking for lunch & not finding anywhere open, so I would stick to eating on the slopes.
snow report
The Alta Badia, where Michelin star meets Ski Hutte ! Smile

https://www.altabadia.org/en/italian-alps-dolomites/food-and-drink/taste-for-skiing.html
snow report
on clothes there is a big thread here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy