Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter Hols Self Catering in France - HELP!!!!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@Dom4106, which week are you looking at?

Saturday 30th March for the week.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dom4106 wrote:

Saturday 30th March for the week.

We've stll got some availability for that week. Not in France - Morgins is just a couple of km over the border from Châtel around an hour and a half from Geneva.

For 4 adults and 5 children we could split you all between two apartments next to each other within the chalet, or one large apartment for most and a studio for one couple or the older kids to give them some privacy. Check my sig for details or PM if you need more.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dom4106, That's when we're going. Do you have an accommodation budget you're working to?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You should give Val cenis some thought, high north facing holds snow really well and you also have plenty of trees. quiet compared to VT and tignes. I went to VT two years ago at Easter it was heaving with people everywhere very churned up slopes when it got warm couldn't wait to get back to val cenis

120km slopes cheap food drink and lift passes less brits
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is certainly a LOT to be said for a destination with few packaged Brits. As I mentioned up the thread, the French have mostly given up skiing by Easter.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1. Les Menuires
2. Val Thorens
3. Tignes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All absolutely nose to tail with packaged Brits, of course.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All absolutely nose to tail with packaged Brits, of course.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My hol is totally DIY
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The thing is, lots of Brits go skiing at Easter, the French are less likely to do so. So resorts where there are a lot of Brits are likely to be busier. And the big numbers will be on package holidays. The great advantage of a DIY holiday is that there is a FAR greater choice both of resorts and of accommodation.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What is the problem with "packaged Brits" exactly?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JDgoesskiing wrote:
You should give Val cenis some thought, high north facing holds snow really well and you also have plenty of trees. quiet compared to VT and tignes. I went to VT two years ago at Easter it was heaving with people everywhere very churned up slopes when it got warm couldn't wait to get back to val cenis

Seconded.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JDgoesskiing wrote:

I remember VT 2 years ago - it chucked it down with snow on arrival day, then the temperatures sky rocketed. In about 10 Easter trips, that was the hottest I've know it! That said, there's plenty of north facing slopes and empty pistes in VT, even at Easter, if you know where and when to go. Always amazes me how hordes of people seem to end up on the same old pistes at the same time (and how many people are on plain sud in the late afternoon!). There's a reason why VT is one of the top options for Easter.

Always to good to offer alternatives though, might have a little look at Val Cenis myself for future Easter trips!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Handy Turnip, We're there Easter next year but I've not been for about 25 years!! Staying at the Olympique in Slalom district. Would you be kind enough to share your thoughts on 'where and when to go' (assuming you mean which slopes/areas and what time of day) - either on this forum or PM me. Thanks
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:
What is the problem with "packaged Brits" exactly?

I’ll start with (a) long queues for lifts (because resorts are much busier than those with fewer British skiers), which (b) move three times more slowly than they should because a parent can’t bear to be separated from their 14yo or a group of 6 leave two chairs’ worth of empty seats so that they can all ride the same one.
ski holidays
kettonskimum wrote:
@Handy Turnip, We're there Easter next year but I've not been for about 25 years!! Staying at the Olympique in Slalom district. Would you be kind enough to share your thoughts on 'where and when to go' (assuming you mean which slopes/areas and what time of day) - either on this forum or PM me. Thanks

@kettonskimum, no problem at all. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time, love VT!

- go over to the 4th valley in Orelle early in the week, in fact I'd get the first lift over there on your first day. Most people like to get familiar with the closer slopes first, before exploring further, so they don't venture over on day 1. Plus those slopes, with the the easter sun on them, will be perfect around 10-11am.
- if you want to do the south facing slopes around Plein Sud/Pluviometre, then again do them early in the morning - they'll get very soft, very quickly, after 12pm. And they get very busy in the afternoon, with lots of (drunken) traffic from the Folie Douce.
- the slopes around the centre are completely manic around 9am, as it's when all the ski schools set off, so try and get your first lift before that (or wait till they've all cleared off).
- And similarly, there's a bit of a 12pm rush back to the resort centre to pick up the kids, so the slopes back home get really busy all of a sudden.
- Boismint sector is great as there's one lift up there, but about 5 different runs off it, so it can only get so busy.
- try and pick off different sectors at a time, to avoid having to keep coming back into the bowl (and onto the busy Cairn run, and busy Moutiers lift).
- for every busy run, there's normally a quieter alternative. Moraine gets busy, but Portette and Genepi less so. If Tete ronde looks busy, then Christine is an option.

The Olympique is in a great location, especially at the start of the day as you're at the high end of town so you can get to any lift. On the way home, you'll have to come the same route back most days, and generally you need to build up a bit of pace, cut across the piste to build up enough pace to get back up the ramp.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 10-10-23 10:12; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
A puzzled question regarding Val Cenis that late in the season to those who have done both:
I've been to Val Thorens in the last EOSB bashes and previously to Tignes at Easter.
They are both at 2100 m altitude and above with enough pistes at higher altitudes to start early and enjoy a few good hours. In both resorts you can reach areas above 3000 for the later hours of the day on fun and challenging black and red pistes.
in the last 2 EOSB I used the first mornings to reach Courchevel 1850 and ski the neighboring area, all in all a huge terrain to play for most of the day.
With all its northern aspect, Val Cenis is 1400 and you can reach 2300-2500 for skiing. Can it hold better and can be enough for a week?
snow report
@JayRo Yeah, that whole riding together is annoying! We're a family of 4 and the kids are young teens, but we've taught them that riding on a chair together is a luxury when it's really busy so it might be a case of 'see you at the top'. Usually turns out that we pair up (one adult/one kid).

Reason I don't mind going to a more frequented resort at Easter is down to the fact that we have been going Feb half term. This year was because of GCSEs (Grand Massif) and we did NOT enjoy the 25 min wait for one of the linked runs OR the blue piste mogul/lemming fest return link run. Oh, and our half term this year was Paris week which explains it all.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 10-10-23 10:14; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@kettonskimum, if you are going on March 30 and enjoy long rather empty red and empty blue pistes, definitely go towards Courchevel through Chanrossa and Roc Merlet
Don't be tempted to do Mont Vallon early morning' it's frozen and better enjoyed at lunch time
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, Thank you so much for the tips. Will deffo get the piste map out and use your notes to highlight! Unfortunately, gone are the days of first lifts up. My alarm is set at 8am....when I blearily stumble out for a bread run. Then kick everyone else out of bed upon return. So the earliest we're out is about 9.30am. But I don't mind that as I HATE frozen pistes and we're not slope lunchers (more pit stop slope munchers) so make the most of 12-2.

@drporat, Yes, arrive 30 March. Would deffo go out as far as possible into other valleys due to being in the 'I bought a 3V pass for many years yet only did 1' cohort (I started my ski life for 3 years in VT back in the late 90s). I'll never forget my first year blue piste meltdown when I threw my poles at my husband out of frustration one afternoon after ski school and told him to get me "off this f***ing mountain..."
latest report
kettonskimum wrote:
@Handy Turnip, Thank you so much for the tips. Will deffo get the piste map out and use your notes to highlight! Unfortunately, gone are the days of first lifts up. My alarm is set at 8am....when I blearily stumble out for a bread run. Then kick everyone else out of bed upon return. So the earliest we're out is about 9.30am. But I don't mind that as I HATE frozen pistes and we're not slope lunchers (more pit stop slope munchers) so make the most of 12-2.

That will probably work out perfectly as you'll miss the ski school morning rush, and the early morning frozen pistes too. If you head over to the Orelle valley on the day 1 at that time, then conditions should be perfect (and pretty quiet!).
snow report
@kettonskimum, there's a great overview of the different ski sectors here..

https://valthorensguide.co.uk/ski-area-overview.html
snow conditions
At Easter, aspect is at least as important as altitude. Your dedication is inspiring, @kettonskimum. No way would I get up early to go on a "bread run" and be prepared to come back and start rousing people out of bed. If they weren't prepared to get up, tidy things up, get the breakfast table laid and have a cup of coffee ready for me on my return, they could whistle for their fresh bread!!

A shorter ski day does make good sense at Easter. Frozen pistes are horrid and the "elephant snot" slush that slows you down suddenly and chucks you forward in your boots without warning is even worse. But Easter skiing can be great, if you're not trying to maximise mileage.
snow report
@kettonskimum, I'd chose La Tania over Meribel if I wanted to ski the 3 Vallees at Easter. It's mostly north facing and can ski back most (all?) Easters. Of if incredibly slushy gondola down.

Pros over Val T is

lower
trees if bad weather kicks in
cheaper

Cons over Val T

lower likely more slushy late afternoon

https://www.latania.co.uk/
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, Super stuff - love doing lots of research/reading!!!!

@pam w, Ha ha - I think we've had this discussion before on a different posting! Luckily we're not a breakfast family so it literally is a coffee start to the day (and I fill the machine before bed ready to press 'on' before the morning bread run). To be fair, I quite like the bread run for a bit of crisp morning air on my own. Don't get me wrong though....I'm really not a morning person at all....and the bread is usually for pack ups (and my French cheese addiction when we return from skiing each evening) so a necessary evil. I may be the out of bed kicker, bread picker and main cooker but certainly draw the line there you'll be glad to know.

@kitenski, That's interesting to know - we've already booked into VT but, bringing this forum back to the original post, it may help @Dom4106,
snow report
With all due respect, North or South, early April I won't feel comfortable at an altitude of 1400 m.
I am not talking of a snowy surroundings or returning on skis, both which will probably be unavailable, but of enjoying skiing in that area
snow report
@drporat, staying at 1400 doesn't mean you ski in that area. It's just the place you start and finish the day.

That said, it's debatable what it gives you late season where you be spending more time at higher altitudes and storms are fewer and more short lived. Ease of access at the start/end of the holiday and better priced accommodation maybe. Depends on the place also, some places at ~1400 have good access/links.
latest report
@Layne, of course and for January till early March it makes sense IMO. Especially in bad weather when the sheltered pistes between the trees allow you to carry on skiing.
But if you check La Tania's ski map, all options to reach a decent area in the morning will take time and be less enjoyable (YMMV) while the return in the afternoon will be totally unpleasant.
Reaching the bottom station of Ariondaz in C1650 at lunch time is rather slushy.
Meribel Mottaret IMO is better located on the skiing map to access all areas, closer to ValTho and higher of course but it was still slushy at lunch time.
But we are talking of 2 weeks earlier in the season which might make a huge difference and the price aspect is definitely much cheaper, accommodation and food.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aspect and altitude. I only really know VT at that time of year but the snow is ALWAYS better than Meribel once you hit April. Everything else can vary by day including snowfall, wind polish and amount of cloud cover but with savvyness you can predict which snow will soften first and how soon it'll be too cooked.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy