Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski resort for Christmas 2023

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Looking to book to go to a ski-ing over Christmas so around 20-27th December. Currently looking at Megeve, what's people thoughts on likelihood of snow? Or is it risky?
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it's risky that early in the season. There are many ski areas with higher slopes and more reliable snow for that time of year (though preferably also with some trees in case it's stormy).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd agree with @denfinella. A lot of better options. Also, the 20 December is a Wednesday - you could find it very difficult to find much accommodation Weds/Weds at such a busy time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, which other ski resorts in the alps would you recommend at this time of year?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ryanshedden, you just can't realise the debate you have just started Laughing
France, Austria or Switzerland?
So many awesome options. Better start by writing what do you prefer regarding slopes, apres etc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Within say 3 hours of Geneva Puzzled
Christmas vibes
and a decent beginner area to get the partner started
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saas Fee in Switzerland? Not been myself but is high and would be very pretty at Christmas. Good for beginners too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saas Fee in Switzerland? Not been myself but is high and would be very pretty at Christmas. Good for beginners too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@surferrosa, well it worked at Christmas for George Michael.... Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/E8gmARGvPlI&pp=ygUPTGFzdCBDaHJpc3RtYXMg
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ryanshedden, Les Arcs 1950.
But you can't go wrong with Tignes Le Lac/Val Claret or with Val d'Isere.
Haven't tried Avoriaz that early but others will know better. Horse pulled snow sleighs Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ryanshedden, first need to think about dates. If you remain wedded to 20-27 December that will rule out a lot of the convenient, ski in/out accommodation. If your partner is a beginner they will not thank you for having to hike a long way in ski boots, carrying skis, especially if they have to fight their way on and off crowded busses.

Are you looking for a "package" holiday or to put the elements (flight, transfer, accommodation, lessons, etc) together yourself. You have obviously been skiing before, and returning to a resort you know could have its advantages.

But first - to repeat myself, need to think hard about dates. Christmas and New Year are two of the busiest and most lucrative weeks of the year. If your budget is unlimited you could rent accommodation for two weeks, and just go for the mid-week 7 days. But.......
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You will get the partner started at the most crowded, busiest, stressful, alcoholic time of the year!
If you can bring it forward a week, much better.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zermatt.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another question: what sort of budget do you have, if any? Some resorts / ski areas are much more expensive than others.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
denfinella wrote:
Another question: what sort of budget do you have, if any? Some resorts / ski areas are much more expensive than others.

This is the most important question here. Bigger budget solves many issues.
ski holidays
@Toadman, I've been to Zermatt last Christmas, my second time there.
Couldn't feel a Christmassy atmosphere or anything special, (Planning this time to aim for Tirol)
For beginners, Sonnega might do but everything else is way more challenging
latest report
I've been to quite a few resorts over and around xmas. The most "Christmassy" I've ever felt was in Klosters. Can't speak to the beginners area though as I never really ventured there.
snow report
pam w wrote:
I'd agree with @denfinella. A lot of better options. Also, the 20 December is a Wednesday - you could find it very difficult to find much accommodation Weds/Weds at such a busy time.

Sunweb does have some which allows different arrival and departure than yohr standard Sat or Sun changeover, and it can be beneficial with other costs (flights and transfers) for mid week. But Pam is right it will hugely reduce choice.

Also I am getting the impression from another post that you are introducing a new skier? The other difficulty non standard change over gives willbe accessing lessons. They are all timetabled around a weekend change over.
snow report
I booked some cheap flights before, flying on a Wednesday. Never again, had so much hassle finding accommodation!
snow report
Thanks guys, we’re on a road trip and likely to be around the alps during that time, could be more like 22nd to 25th. Finding accommodation isn’t the problem when I’m looking, it’s more choosing the right resort in the area. Like I say Christmas vibes and a good beginner area within 3 hours of Geneva and a higher chance of snow than others, that’s what I’m looking for.

Zermat looks good but noted on the Christmas feeling
Avoriaz is good but what’s the snow like that time of year?
Like the look of sass fee, what’s the town like?
Les arcs and Les deux alps sound good
ski holidays
@Ryanshedden, wonder if it has changed significantly? We did a pre Christmas week in Zermatt many years back and found it a lovely Christmasy vibe, snow on ground in town, horse drawn carts and decorations around was lovely. Nb we have never done Christmas itself away...
latest report
I guess it’s probably less of an issue if you’re staying in a hotel but we were trying to get an Airbnb. Every single time it’d let us book then we’d get a cancellation half an hour after. Hope you get sorted though, it’s a great time of year to go away.
snow report
@NickyJ, there were some decorations of course but nothing different from any other European city at that time of the year. I expected more based of former years in Obergurgl, Solden etc.
The only horse drawn carts we saw (two of them and they looked fabulous) were in charge with transfers of 2 posh five stars hotels (read: hugely expensive).
Surely it cannot be compared to the Avoriaz carts.
The domain is big and challenging enough to return to, but value for money or beginner friendly can never be attached to Zermatt
I am considering Les Arcs 1950 for this Xmas, i know the area well but never before during Christmas/NYE
snow conditions
drporat wrote:
@NickyJ,
I am considering Les Arcs 1950 for this Xmas, i know the area well but never before during Christmas/NYE

We just booked 1950 over new yrs/ 1st week Jan via sunweb. Seems fairly acceptable prices given its NY and includes lift pass. Flights also seem reasonable to Geneva at mo, found better to arrange own rather than include with sunweb.

May not be the case but hoping the crowds drop off after New year's due to that week extending far into Jan, ie school hols..
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
@Ryanshedden, wonder if it has changed significantly? We did a pre Christmas week in Zermatt many years back and found it a lovely Christmasy vibe, snow on ground in town, horse drawn carts and decorations around was lovely. Nb we have never done Christmas itself away...

Snow on the ground 10x's the Crimbo vibes though. That's why comparing with Obergurgl is probably unfair too (it is also why I picked Klosters too. It was dumping)
snow conditions
Correct but I want jingle bells and White Christmas songs, big decorated trees and Christmas markets selling unnecessary wooden stuff and gluhwein with sticky cakes and happy people smiling without any reason Laughing
latest report
@Ryanshedden, look at Corvara in Italy, perfect for beginner's as there are more blue runs there than anywhere I have ever been to and nice slopes for progression. Beautiful scenery and tons of snowmaking facilities just incase . . . .
latest report
@northantsred, any idea how festive is Corvara for Christmas/NYE?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
northantsred wrote:
@Ryanshedden, look at Corvara in Italy

You're not going to get from Geneva to Corvara in 3 hours
latest report
It'll be the mountains. With snow. At Christmas. Is there anywhere it won't be 'festive' (whatever that means)?
ski holidays
Geneva is nuts for the Dolomites. I've driven it, and it's a bloody long way.
latest report
@JayRo, yes I know the basic theory.
In theory any day I don't work and I can spend plenty of time with my loved ones is festive.
But most of us understand Christmas festive days as being somewhat more.... how can I say? Festive, yes Laughing
And many times I didn't have snow on the ground in the village, which makes sense obvious that early in the season below 1800.
A lone tree with some lights on at the very entrance to a shopping street doesn't really count as Christmas atmosphere.
So I am looking for something more special, hoping to find it in France (Avoriaz/Les Arcs) although deep inside I know Austria does it better. And Klosters most likely too Smile

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 3-10-23 16:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
noodlehat wrote:
drporat wrote:
@NickyJ,

We just booked 1950 over new yrs/ 1st week Jan via sunweb. Seems fairly acceptable prices given its NY and includes lift pass. Flights also seem reasonable to Geneva at mo, found better to arrange own rather than include with sunweb.

May not be the case but hoping the crowds drop off after New year's due to that week extending far into Jan, ie school hols..

From past experience (Meribel &Tignes) the week including Xmas is very busy, especially Brits, the week including NY is very busy, especially French. Numbers drop off for the rest of January (ie after 6 Jan 24 this season) until French half term begins.
snow report
I doubt you will find anything particular festive in French ski resorts IME of going at Christmas for many years.
snow report
drporat wrote:
So I am looking for something more special, hoping to find it in France (Avoriaz/Les Arcs) although deep inside I know Austria does it better. And Klosters most likely too Smile

Maybe you should specify more clearly what kind of 'something more special' you're looking for. I mean, it's a ski holiday. If it were me the thing that would make it most special is great snow, and I'd look to maximize the chances of that. It sounds like you're looking for something different: but what?

Have you considered going to the Erzgebirge?
ski holidays
I do not wish to hijack the OP's thread.
@Layne, I believe you. I am following your Les Coches trip reports and you never mentioned any Christmas festivities down there, will probably go to Les Coches some future January. Was hoping some pretentious French resort like Avoriaz or Les Arcs 1950 will have them.
@JayRo, interesting destination so many thanks but too far, too low and too small according to skiresort.info

For Christmas my dream has plenty of decorations, carols, torches and snowmen hugged by tipsy Santa.
Basically a Southern KKK procession getting to Rond Point de Champs Elysee late December and moving evth to Colmar or Strasbourg. Might be a bit too much, me thinks.
In Austria they have a weekly ski instructors parade with snowmobiles, piste bashers, jumping through fire rings etc. which probably got imprinted in my neural circuits too strong NehNeh
snow conditions
If it snows...
1. Gstaad
2. Klosters
3. Cortina
4. Murren

If no snow...
1. St Moritz
2. Val d'Isere
3. Lech
4. Courchevel 1850
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy