Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

val thorens mid dec?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was thinking of la rosiere but after positing on here, I think maybe not.... is val thorens an option week before xmas rather than tignes? haven't being to the 3 valleys for a long time.....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Conditions in Val Thorens and Tignes will be pretty similar. If it is really dire then double M is probably more reliable than anything in Val Thorens but these two would normally be considered two of the best bets for early season skiing in France
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Obviously in extremis the significant glacier skiing means that Tignes might trump Val Thorens.
But I'd wait before booking accommodation. If you usually go skiing later in the season you might need to be aware that quite a lot of restaurants etc might not be open. The "buzz" is missing but so are all those idiots cluttering up the pistes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hey @pam w, normally go the 2nd week of dec so am used to the quiet factor wink looks like the third week of December is a lot busier than the 2nd so I need to get cracking and book somewhere
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were in Val Thorens w/c 17th December last year and there was plenty open. Although not much on the Orelle side. The main issue was poor visibility rather than lack of snow and this can be a problem in many of the highest resorts above the tree line.

I think that if you want a change from Tignes you would be fine booking Val Thorens for that week. Another place you could consider would be Montgenevre as that normally opens at the start of December. Although check the opening date of Claviere as if that opens later the skiing would just be restricted to the french side in montgenevre that week.

16th December is school hols in the uk but not France so there should still be availability.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I always go to Tignes for the PSB or PiPAU week in December but I have friends who always choose ValTho for being snowsure Puzzled
In bad weather I can still ski down to 1800 between the trees and return by Boisses gondola or even the bus if a late lunch.
While they are stuck in the bowl
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ajc2260626 wrote:
looks like the third week of December is a lot busier than the 2nd so I need to get cracking and book somewhere

Not in my experience. I'd say second week is about 10% bed capacity and third week 30% at best. Even Xmas probably isn't more than 50%. It's like the difference between really quiet and ghost town.

One exception - check the timings and destinations of university ski trips which can certainly dominate either VT or Tignes if the dates coincide. Maybe if VT accommodation is showing as scarce, they know something that hasn't been announced yet...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowymum wrote:
16th December is school hols in the uk

Could be the majority I don't know but ours break up 22nd
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ajc2260626 wrote:
hey @pam w, normally go the 2nd week of dec so am used to the quiet factor wink looks like the third week of December is a lot busier than the 2nd so I need to get cracking and book somewhere

As per others I wouldn't be panicking about booking w/c 16th Dec at all.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ajc2260626, Better choice than La Rosiere .
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Uni week is the week before 12th Dec , my daughter is going with Durham .
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’m booked for VT for 08th - 13th December. I went for opening last season (last weekend of November) and snow was thin but perfectly skiable. Thankfully I booked for that weekend as it was the first day of the season in VT following the deferred 1 week opening.

The resorts have given me some confidence by stating that they are opening from 03rd Dec in the wider 3V. I’m optimistic that I will be able to ski beyond VT but if not, VT is great for early season skiing (weather and snow permitting of course which none of us can predict nor control).

I was surprised to see the % bed capacity quoted above. Hotels were cheaper than ‘normal’ parts of the season but far from cheap. I’m staying at the VT Hotel and very much looking forward to it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La Ros = maybe
Tignes = yes
Val Tho = yes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have been most years for the last 20 years for the week prior to Xmas. Always had good snow down to resort level in Val d'sere (many times), Tignes & Val Thorens (going again this year)!. Did Les Deux Alps twice both times had to walk through muddy field to get to lift. Snow started very high up and not many runs open as they save them for the xmas week.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy