Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where would you go? (short break, Dec)

Poster: A snowHead
Thought I'd post on here and see if anyone would like to help me decide which resort for an upcoming trip!

It looks like I might be able to do a short trip w/c 10th December without the family. Looking for the best options for 2 women skiers, intermediate level but late to ski and not very fast or confident. Looking for - great instruction, decent hotel/ apartment, convenient or even ski in-ski out, and obviously snow. Not bothered about night life. Healthy budget and will be flying from London. We would like to keep transfer times reasonably short but think this might have to be the compromise we make....

Any thoughts or opinions gratefully received!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Given how early you are going - Tignes should fit the bill (either Lac or Val Claret).

If you want a "left field" option - there is Hotel La Refuge de Solaise in VDI, which is where the top station of the old Solaise Cable Car used to be.

It is luxurious, ski in/out as you are already up the mountain - but isolated when the lifts shut.

https://www.topsnowtravel.com/accommodation/le-refuge-de-solaise/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/france/rhone-alpes/hotels/le-refuge-de-solaise-hotel/

https://www.cntraveller.com/article/le-refuge-de-solaise-hotel-review

There are lots of good ski schools in both resorts.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 29-09-23 20:58; edited 6 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowHeads PiPAU bash fits the bill.

This link is to last years event as the buttons aren't available yet for this year (9th-16thDec) but that and the frequently ask questions thread in snowEvents should give you an idea what it's like.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4988353
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's ringing a bell that you've said elsewhere that you can't make the Ski Goddess course dates work but the one 12th-15th might be ideal, and has two really fun ladies going who i met on the course in March. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Where would I go? Mid Dec. So snow can be thin or even non-existant!
Grimentz/ Zinal, reasonably high north facing. Lovely variety of accom.

Les diablerets, links to Villars. All very pretty but you have access to glacier 3000.

Saanenmöser, far end of Gstaad region! This is more risky, not particularly high.
Some nice accommodation , prices may surprise you in a good way. If you were lucky with snow and weather you would never want to ski anywhere else!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Soldeu in Andorra tries to make snow well before Christmas.

Canadian Rockies: longer “transfer” but nice accommodation, tuition and snow!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tignes Val Claret. Great choice of ski instruction
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all! @ElzP we would love to do that date for Ski goddess but I don’t think the PdS opening dates are on our side! And the snowheads bash is too long (we’re so fussy!). I should have said we’re only planning to ski 3 days.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm thinking of doing a shorter trip over that weekend (Thurs-Mon) but am sitting tight until we see where/if its snowed. I'm banking on accommodation being plentiful that early on.

If you can wait that gives you the best chance of going where there is snow......or that's my theory anyway!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What’s Trysil like at that time?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Soozm, oh yes - that'll be interesting. I imagine Katie will bus everyone off somewhere but certainly not ideal. I'm there for the next session when something should be open!

For three days (not including travel dats?) and no budget issues I'd go to Turin, get a taxi up to Cervinia (2hr), and eat delicious Italian food at one of the swankier hotels up there. The ski area is perfect for intermediates. But equally, I might wait until the last minute to book...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Val Thorens hits all your requirements. The ski area should have been open for 2-3 weeks by those dates and if things go to plan, some of the wider 3V should also be open at least in part.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tux is an option. If the snow is good there is a local mountain (Eggalm Bahn due to open 2 Dec) if it's OK, then there is lift access to the Mayrhofen area. If the snow is poor, then there is a free regular 10 min shuttlebus to the Hintertux and the glacier. Off course you can ski Mayrhofen or the glacier if the snow's good too, but Eggalm's tree lined runs might be welcome on poor vis days.

If you want a larger town then Mayrhofen is an alternative, but the longer bus up to the glacier is a pain.

Transfer to Mayrhofen is short enough (train), to Tux, you change at Mayrhofen for a bus (or taxi) - the same bus that goes on up to the glacier.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd go to ischgl. The lift system is amazing. Snow making all over the mountain. Plenty of great hotels and restaurants. The skiing will be as good and varied as anywhere else in the Alps. As a 2nd choice saalbach the snowmaking and lift system are on par with Ischgl, lots of quality hotels and restaurants
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kronplatz or Selva from Innsbruck? There should be a fair bit open.....Kronplatz tends to open at the start of the month and Val Gardena usually has the World Cup race towards the end of your week. Lots on here who can advise on Selva and at least one very knowledgeable Kronplatz SH.
snow report
Obertuern....decent varied skiing for a few days ..ski in ski out if there's snow usually snowsure ...easy flight to Salzburg and a short transfer...good hotels
snow report
Waiting to see how the snow comes is a good idea.
snow report
@pam w, Is spot on . Nothing needs to be booked till a couple of days before. Keep. A short list of preferred options right across the alps. Then head where the weather and snow looks best for what you want. No point being in a blizzard in Val Thorens if it’s sunny with lots of snow in Lech. Much more fun with the planning and anticipation.
ski holidays
@Soozm, yeah, wait and see. Surprising stuff opens up. Eg Monterosa will probably be open, great food. Great pistes. No people.
latest report
One year we booked flights to Turin for the first or second weekend (can't remember) of December and just waited to see where the snow looked good. We went to Serre Chevalier in the end, which had lots of natural snow on the top half of the mountain and enough man-made snow on the lower half of the mountain. Made for a good 4 or 5 days' skiing. If doing the same again, I'd book some flights and be prepared to drive a few hours. You then just need to find a resort that has a decent amount of lifts open at that time of the year (Serre Chevalier did).
snow report
It's true that the cost of flights will just drift up. But buying flights now narrows down the choices. My safe but rather dull suggestion of Tignes Val Claret assumes you want to buy flights when they're still fairly cheap. If the budget is really flexible some of these other suggestions sound much more fun.
snow conditions
Not mentioned yet, Verbier likely to be a good option, with train connect from Geneva to give reasonable transfer.

Usually gets going early season with many slopes at significant altitude.
snow conditions
Personally I'd be inclined to look for an organized trip including instruction & transfers. I very much enjoyed the early-season trip I did with the SCGB to Tignes last November (2.5 days of excellent group lessons, half-board accommodation, group transfers from Geneva), but the corresponding trip is a week or so earlier than you plan to go this year.

I think really it depends on how much of your healthy budget you want to go on transfers, &/or on if you want to hire a car (which shouldn't be a huge cost for such a relatively short trip). Absent a suitable group trip, my own preference would be to go to Verbier or somewhere else I could easily get to by train from Geneva or Zurich. Or fly into Turin (or possibly Milan) & hire a car
ski holidays
I'll probably go to Sölden in November, so that's another to consider. Haven't been before at that time but it's easy to get too and has a couple of decent glaciers etc. I'll wait and see how the snow is though, no need to gamble on the weather. I'd look at flight options, but I always end up flying to Munich and driving from there. Maybe prices will go up a bit, but with those flights you can't easily cancel or switch, so I'll wait. Accommodation is unlikely to be at capacity...
ski holidays
Go to Zermatt. You can get Adult group lessons from Dec 11 for 3+ days with Zermatters ski school.

Don't let the long train transfer put you off: it can be a much better way to travel than a coach.
snow report
As a last minute, short stay, where snow & weather can be ascertained just prior, I'd plump for Chamonix. It's a short transfer from Geneva.
snow conditions
I can second Verbier, went last year mid-December and was good (was also a crap year for Alpine snow, but Verbier is high enough). Same trip we also went to Pays St Bernard, which is a cluster of small ski resorts which are cheeeeeap, but very decent for what they are. They're also close to Verbier, so you can kinda do both in one trip.

I did a post on my own site about La Fouly/Pays St Bernard - https://ugosnow.com/la-fouly-switzerland-review/ - if thats blog spam feel free to remove mods.

Previous years... Also went to Mayrhofen in December a few years back which was very good. I think we timed it right cos it was right after a dump and was lush.

My cousin often goes to La Clusaz before Christmas and has good things to say about that. Sounds family friendly too, and relatively cheap.
snow report
Have a look at Ischgl. It opens the last weekend of November and is guaranteed skiing (even in very snow poor winters). Plenty of piste skiing. It is not a budget option though December should be less expensive than other times. I dont like the village but no doubt the skiing is good. If you can get flights to Innsbruck (if budget is not a big issue Lufthansa via Frankfurt though there are a few direct flights) then fairly easy transfers from there, if not then Zürich, easy train to Landeck and pretty quick transfer from there
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the replies! We are hanging on til close to the dates, rough shortlist (not short): Verbier, Obergurgl, Lech, Baqueira Beret, Tignes. @gruffnutz - thanks for posting the site, currently reading it all!

One question re Verbier for those who mentioned it - we are what the Where To guides class as "true blue" skiers - I was under the impression Verbier was a bit tricky and better suited to the very confident, any thoughts?
latest report
toyah807 wrote:
Kronplatz or Selva from Innsbruck? There should be a fair bit open.....Kronplatz tends to open at the start of the month and Val Gardena usually has the World Cup race towards the end of your week. Lots on here who can advise on Selva and at least one very knowledgeable Kronplatz SH.

Much though I love Kronplatz, for mid / early December the “ski in / out” is dependent on the conditions.
90 minutes transfer from Innsbruck. Good high quality accommodation in San Vigilio. There should be more than enough good intermediate skiing and it won’t be crowded.
But the “Miara” piste to ski back to San Vigilio is probably going to be open. Only probably. If not then there’s no difficulty as it’s a gondola ride instead of ski back.
It might be ski in/ out. But it might not.
A week later and I would expect Miara to be open.
snow conditions
Moorzee10 wrote:
Val Thorens hits all your requirements. The ski area should have been open for 2-3 weeks by those dates and if things go to plan, some of the wider 3V should also be open at least in part.

Val Thorens opens for the weekend 25 -26 November, then shuts again until 2 December, when the 3 Valleys starts to open, so open for a week by those dates.
snow conditions
@Soozm, I wouldn't have thought Baquiera a candidate Puzzled also long transfer?
latest report
For just a short break, I wouldn't want to be having to get a bus from my accommodation to the skiing. Or a long transfer.
snow report
1. Tignes
2. Zermatt
3. Val Thorens
4. Lech
5. Davos
ski holidays
I was at Zermatt quite a few years ago, and it took 3 hours from town chalet, via bus, elevator, and 3 cable cars to summit & snow. That makes Zermatt the odd one out in that list - big time.
ski holidays
We’re off to Verbier the same weekend as the OP staying in La Tzoumaz, to check and prep our apartment for the season. Just fyi that is the St.Nicholas weekend when you ski for free if you buy a ticket in a St.Nicholas outfit. Verbier almost always has snow then - the variable is in how many of the slopes are open. Many ski areas across the Alps don’t open the whole domaine pre-Christmas, however good the snow is, so as to preserve it for Christmas/New Year. It’s fair to say that on-piste Verbier is an intermediates type of place i.e. you probably need to be able to negotiate reds to be comfortable there. But bear in mind the pre-Christmas difference in many places, which can mean that a Blue-dominated resort may not have all its blue runs open either. We’re hiring a car to get there for the weekend, but for our longer January excursion, we’re getting the train. Partly because if we do need to get replacement or new stuff for the apartment we’ll need the car to go down to the valley shops. The gondola up to Verbier from the Le Chable railway station in the valley is public transport, so usually is running from around 6.30am to 11pm. Personally, I much prefer the train/gondola transfer to hiring a car.

See the SBB timetable www.SBB.ch/en site for train times and costs. The Saver Day Pass is an option if you can buy in advance. Our Jan fares will be CHF 52 per person each way: For Verbier it’s the train from inside the airport to Martigny, change trains and a short hop to Le Chable, where the station is just by the télépherique, up to the centre of Verbier.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy