Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crit’air requirements

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I have to travel from Calais Le Shuttle down to Castelaine in Provence on 7th & 8th October in a hired van. I propose to use motorways (A26 etc) where ever possible and to skirt around Lyon to the east (A432, A48). My route then takes me via Grenoble and onto RN roads to Sisteron. I am finding it hard to determine whether or not I am going to need a Crit’Air for the journey and so I thought I’d ask Snowheads who live in France or who drive to ski resorts for advice.

I don’t believe I need one if I stick to motorways as far as Grenoble. Right or wrong?
Do I need one in order to drive past Grenoble from north to south on A48, A480, A51?

Getting a sticker in time on a hired van is difficult, since I won’t know the reg etc until I collect it. I may be able to apply for it, and then show the invoice and email confirmation if challenged.

Thanks for reading.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are driving on a51 you will need a crit’air sticker and I believe the vehicle needs to have a minimum of level 4.

The black lines on map 2 of the below link should show you the limits of the crit’air area around Grenoble for vans.

https://urbanaccessregulations.eu/countries-mainmenu-147/france/grenoble
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No you won't need one.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kditrj2d, currently only enforced manually so chances of being caught without are very slim and I am sure you could plead ignorance, hire car, blah, blah if stopped/asked.

We drive to skiing in the Alps twice a year without one. 2024 will be enforced by camera so may be then.

There was a thread on here were dealing with the hire car thing was discussed but honestly I just wouldn't bother.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies. I’ve since found a page that details the restrictions in and around Grenoble, and it states that the A48, A480 and A51 corridor is exempt. So as long as I don’t deviate from those roads I should be ok.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wish I knew about those exempt roads a couple of years ago! We did a couple of awkward detours to avoid them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Drove through Grenoble twice without realising I needed one but no issues and wasn't stopped. But I know France will soon knuckle down so I got was sorted and don't need to worry about it anymore (why not, for less than a fiver delivered).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy