Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2023 / 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Snowed all day some great conditions if you stayed in the trees in Vallandry

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stevew, judging by that photo you must be one of the last on the hill. Good effort.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
@stevew, judging by that photo you must be one of the last on the hill. Good effort.

You've got to ski until you can't haven't you.....

It was about 16:32, they're quite prompt at closing Derby Toofy Grin

Not a bad day overall
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Where’s the cheapest pint in arc 1800? My eyes are watering at the prices Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lovely conditions this morning. It continues to snow lightly and about -5 degrees with no wind at lower elevations. Cloud base about 2100m, so staying in the trees above Vallandry where visibility is fine. About 5-10cm of creamy snow on top of freshly pisted runs first thing. Perfect hero snow! First run, just me and a little music in my helmet, was a moment of bliss. Off piste through the trees needs more snow to reset, so very lumpy underneath the fresh.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice day all round, if you stayed low enough to get decent visibility. Light snow all day, except for the second half of the afternoon where it got a bit heavier. Lower slopes still a bit crispy where the fresh snow was swept away by sideways travelling slope users, but the pistebashers should address that overnight.

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Varet gondola report: Yum.

Head to 2000 for viz.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Beware of sharks. They’re out hunting today rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
fingers crossed it was but a flesh wound
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
fingers crossed it was but a flesh wound
Just a glancing blow. Espresso and rum babas is fixing things as we speak.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hello.
We’re off to Arc 2000 on Saturday. Son and I are skiing, daughter and wife are coming along but not skiing.

Family is keen to go on the Vanoise Express at some point for the experience. Appreciate Arc 2000 is right over on the left of Les Arcs. Can anyone tell me the best route for pedestrians with the lifts to take to get over to the Vanoise Express and roughly how long it would take them please? Hopefully it’s doable for them to make it across to La Plagne and back to Arc 2000 before everything closes….

Thanks!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bramble, the journey sounds a challange.

Step 1: Navette from 2000 to 1600 https://en.lesarcs.com/move-around/shuttles/arc-1600-arc-1950-2000
Step 2: Navette from 1600 to 1800 https://en.lesarcs.com/move-around/shuttles/arc-1600-arc-1800
Step 3: Navette from 1800 to Vallandry. Watch out for the very restricted timetable https://en.lesarcs.com/move-around/arc-1800-peisey-vallandry you need stop 17.
step 4: walk to the lift office pass office and ask about passenger tickets on the Vanoise Express. I'm not sure these even exist in the winter.

And that is about as far as you can go.

If thy are really keen to go to La Plagne, possibly to go down the bob sleigh track, then get the funicular down to Bourg and the bus up from there.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks John. They will have the Pedestrian + passes which gives access to most of the lifts and includes the Vanoise Express.

Is it not possible for them to get across using the lifts?

Says here https://en.lesarcs.com/pedestrians-prices
Funiculaire, Transarc 1 & 2, Villards
Vallandry, Varet, Aiguille
Rouge, Peisey, Arcabulle, Vanoise Express are all included with Pedestrian Pass +

Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bramble, It is possible by walking up to the Arcabule, getting the Transarc back down and walking across to Vallandry (there is a scenic footpath, not the piste) or taking the navette around. I'd allow an hour to get to 1800. I think the walk from 1800 to Vallandry is about 40 minutes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks. Will have to see if the wife and daughter feel it’s worth the effort then Laughing
snow report
@Bramble, I reckon they could walk to Arcabulle from 2000 and then download in the TransArc and then get a bus to the VE. Same on the reverse.

The rides in the two lifts would be 10 minutes each.

Worth doing IMO, the VE is spectacular.

There is a nice little bar restaurant on both sides of the VE.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Nice day all round, if you stayed low enough to get decent visibility. Light snow all day, except for the second half of the afternoon where it got a bit heavier. Lower slopes still a bit crispy where the fresh snow was swept away by sideways travelling slope users, but the pistebashers should address that overnight.

that photo is a little slice of heaven in my book!
snow conditions
wills_h wrote:
... that photo is a little slice of heaven in my book!
+1
Home sweet home.
ski holidays
@Bramble, May I suggest a couple other excursions for your wife and daughter:

Take the funicular down to Bourg st Maurice and stand at the very front. It's better than many fairground rides with stunning views. Then walk around to the Super U and marvel at the wonderful gastonomic delights. After all when was the last time you saw rabbits or pigeons for sale in the UK. Or winkles for that matter.

Take Varet up and visit the light show in the telecabine garage. It's wonderful

Take Varet up and take the zip wire back down again.

Take Arcabulle up and take the luge back again.
snow report
Thanks John. Yep, the zip line and luge are already planned. Thanks for the additional suggestions
latest report
Conditions very nice. Cool but not cold, some high cloud and occasional valley cloud drifting up the hill. Piste conditions very good, and plenty of nice variable snow off-piste. Plus the odd shark. A little bit of video from Sunday and Monday:

http://youtube.com/v/t3fvFd346lc
snow report
We are heading to Les Arcs this weekend. Staying in Peisey. We’ve been before a couple of times but not for a few years.

Any particular recommendations on favourite runs. Or best bars/restaurants stopping the mountains. We can ski and board most things.

Any tips appreciated Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
Where abouts in Peisey, @EvieTee?
snow conditions
EvieTee wrote:
We are heading to Les Arcs this weekend. Staying in Peisey. We’ve been before a couple of times but not for a few years.

Any particular recommendations on favourite runs. Or best bars/restaurants stopping the mountains. We can ski and board most things.

Restaurants:

Cabane Des Neiges in 1800 for dinner is great

Lunch on the slopes, ski down Mont Blanc Blue run (beautiful run) and head to Le Sanglier Qui Fume restaurant for lunch. Its amazing food.

In the Arc 2000 bowl there is great pizza and good tunes with live saxaphone at the Bulle Cafe

Close to Peisey you have the "Les Enfant Terrible" restaurant which is a favourite of ours for a beer and a crepe mid morning.

Runs: Fave blues are Renard off the top of the Derby lift near Peisey and Mont Blanc at 1600.

Fave Black is Malgovert - amazing and beautiful terrain to ski. Quite tricky - its a ski Natur run.

Fave Red is Arrandelieres from top of the Varet.
latest report
EvieTee wrote:

The tree lined runs between Arc 1800 and Vallandry 1600 are some of my favourite - with a nice choice of blues and reds. Nice and wide, and plenty of them so it never feels that busy.
latest report
Quote:

Or best bars/restaurants stopping the mountains.

It's quite hard to stop a mountain, but seriously what is meant by "best" depends on your criteria. Our favourites include the hotel Vanoise for qualit/price ratio but for less cost and quailty Rock Mountain is good. The Buelle just above 2000 does an excellent seafood platter.

There are lots of really excellent runs and they depend to some extent on the snow.

Blues: Renard, Barmont, Mont Blanc
Bluish red: Clocherette
Reds: Combe, Belette, all reds down to 1800 and 1600, Lac
Blacks: Comborciere, Refuge, the 3 down from Varet.

Perhaps a better question might be runs we are not too keen on
snow report
I've just noticed that they have changed the map for the runs on Aguille Rouge slightly vs last year. Arandelières 2 (red) used to be shown as starting at the top but this year it seems like you have to do some of the black run before starting Arandelières 2 a decent bit lower. I recall the red was simply a path that wound around the steeper parts of the black.

Is there any functional difference this year or is it simply for simplicity on the map? Eg is it no longer pisted so more moguls etc.
ski holidays
Ruswit wrote:
I've just noticed that they have changed the map for the runs on Aguille Rouge slightly vs last year. Arandelières 2 (red) used to be shown as starting at the top but this year it seems like you have to do some of the black run before starting Arandelières 2 a decent bit lower. I recall the red was simply a path that wound around the steeper parts of the black.

Is there any functional difference this year or is it simply for simplicity on the map? Eg is it no longer pisted so more moguls etc.

Good question! I also wonder whether just having a black shown on the map from the top will ease the traffic in the Aiguille Rogue 30 cable as it always seems to have a massive queue - it might put a few people (less familiar with with the area) off if they no longer see the red.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ratkinsonuk wrote:
Where abouts in Peisey, @EvieTee?

Near the bottom of the lobster pots
snow conditions
Macker13 wrote:
EvieTee wrote:

Restaurants:

Cabane Des Neiges in 1800 for dinner is great

Lunch on the slopes, ski down Mont Blanc Blue run (beautiful run) and head to Le Sanglier Qui Fume restaurant for lunch. Its amazing food.

In the Arc 2000 bowl there is great pizza and good tunes with live saxaphone at the Bulle Cafe

Close to Peisey you have the "Les Enfant Terrible" restaurant which is a favourite of ours for a beer and a crepe mid morning.

Runs: Fave blues are Renard off the top of the Derby lift near Peisey and Mont Blanc at 1600.

Fave Black is Malgovert - amazing and beautiful terrain to ski. Quite tricky - its a ski Natur run.

Fave Red is Arrandelieres from top of the Varet.

This is so brilliant

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
snow report
@Ruswit, TBH I never noticed the red coming off the top until you get the the branch at the end of glacier. How did it difffer from the black?
snow report
Handy Turnip wrote:
EvieTee wrote:

The tree lined runs between Arc 1800 and Vallandry 1600 are some of my favourite - with a nice choice of blues and reds. Nice and wide, and plenty of them so it never feels that busy.

These were some of my favourite last time. Especially on a snow day. So quiet and great snow/visibilty.

Might have to head higher some days next week looking at the forecast but they’re definitely in the plan
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Or best bars/restaurants stopping the mountains.

It's quite hard to stop a mountain, but seriously what is meant by "best" depends on your criteria. Our favourites include the hotel Vanoise for qualit/price ratio but for less cost and quailty Rock Mountain is good. The Buelle just above 2000 does an excellent seafood platter.

There are lots of really excellent runs and they depend to some extent on the snow.

Blues: Renard, Barmont, Mont Blanc
Bluish red: Clocherette
Reds: Combe, Belette, all reds down to 1800 and 1600, Lac
Blacks: Comborciere, Refuge, the 3 down from Varet.

Perhaps a better question might be runs we are not too keen on

Haha. Sorry typo my bad.

That’s very helpful thank you.

Yeah ok. Good point. Love the area and lots to enjoy.
Anything or anywhere to avoid in particular?

Thanks again for your input
latest report
Ruswit wrote:

The route down at the top now follows what was the red route. The direct black slope at the start has been fenced off. The descent down the glacier has also been made easier with a pisted traverse cutting across the top. It's not really much of a black route at all now. But never mind there are a couple of Natur blacks which you can drop into part way down. I did Genepi today and had an excellent run with great snow and some proper steep stuff worthy of black status.
snow conditions
P.S. Whether the fencing off of the top slope is just temporary I don't know. It's marked on the map in Yuge as being a piste. But it was very much fenced off today.
latest report
johnE wrote:
@Ruswit, TBH I never noticed the red coming off the top until you get the the branch at the end of glacier. How did it difffer from the black?

So I've only done it the once as ashamedly I've only ever been across from la plagne 1 time in over ten visits, so I am hardly an expert on the run.

It seemed like nearer the top the red would often take a wide hairpin to snake down the slope but the black run would essentially cut the corner and go down the steep way. They overlapped a fair bit from memory.
ski holidays
EvieTee wrote:

Try out the Mont Blanc Bar just below the Grizzly lift base station, the food is good and it has lively evenings. The terrace out the back is a real sun trap when the weather is good!
ski holidays
wills_h wrote:
EvieTee wrote:

Try out the Mont Blanc Bar just below the Grizzly lift base station, the food is good and it has lively evenings. The terrace out the back is a real sun trap when the weather is good!

Thank you!!
snow report
hyperkub wrote:
Ruswit wrote:

The route down at the top now follows what was the red route. The direct black slope at the start has been fenced off. The descent down the glacier has also been made easier with a pisted traverse cutting across the top. It's not really much of a black route at all now. But never mind there are a couple of Natur blacks which you can drop into part way down. I did Genepi today and had an excellent run with great snow and some proper steep stuff worthy of black status.

Aye I have just watched a recent youtube video of the run and it is as you said, seems they have made the whole thing follow the original red run and turned it into a black, which is a bit odd.
snow conditions
snowing at the moment..a bit wet though
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy