Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski pass price increase

Poster: A snowHead
I was a bit surprised this morning to see a daily pass for skiwelt rise from €52 last season to €69 this season.
Skiwelt annual pass of €732 still great value.
We will continue to pay the prices as in late 50s our skiing days aren’t as plentiful as our young adult kids,

How are your favourite resorts doing with price increases season on season
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eye watering
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes certainly getting more expensive, we tend to ski different areas each year so don't have year on year comparison, but as four of us are still skiing together, it makes for an expensive week, ( which my daughters consider their birth right) Older Kids have to make their own way to the slopes, funny I hear them moan about the cost, never moaned when mom was paying.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
At Paradiski, season pass was 730€ (Adult) and 584€ (Child) last season and it's 780€ (Adult) and 624€ (Child) this season -> increase of 6.85%
But it Was 1150€ (Adult) for 21-22 Season, 1147€ (Adult) for 15-16 season and 1059€ (Adult) for 18-19 season. !
They stil have a 50% discount for disable and carer buying the same pass
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
6 day low season Dolomiti Superski was 336 euro last year ; 366 euro for upcoming season : not a bad increase...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My season pass, Tirol snowcard has risen around 11%, this is in-line with other season passes around the region. Certainly most colleagues have the Freizeit pass which has also risen about 11%.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, 10% seems about right. Some areas have really been hit hard by energy costs
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As @thierryd says a slight increase in season pass for Les Arcs this season, upto 624€ for us older skiers. The term senior is now reserved for those over 75. It's gone up less than my pension and is a lot less than 2 years ago.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just looking at the 6 day passes for Paradski - the website is quoting 369€ for an adult pass. Aand I think the equivalent for last year was 345€ - although we ended up paying 310€ in the end with all the discounts. So I'm guessing that we'll end up paying about 332€.

The big family holiday is to Valloire this year, which looks like it'll be 257€ adult price (before discounts) - so nice chunky saving this year on the big resorts!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tignes 6 day pass is 396€ this year. I'm going this year as it's a family/friends trip and I didnt know how much lift passes now were. I won't go again at those prices, it's just not worth it for me.

Will stick to touring trips in central Asia or long trips to n America where the season passes are exceptional good value e.g. $900 for an epic pass that gets you at least 7 days, or more often unlimited, in 20+ top resorts.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
European resorts are Americanizing their lift prices.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold wrote:

I had the same thought today as well.

The acid test will be whether prices soften, if energy prices drop. I'm not holding my breath.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To try and put this in perspective.

A season lift pass will cost me 624€ and I will ski perhaps 20 days. So that is 31.2€ per day. I'm not very fit so will get perhaps 15 lifts per day. That is about 2€ per lift, or 2€ per run. IMHO that is not that much. When I go to my local climbing wall I recon I spend about the same per climb (as I said I'm not very fit). Our ski club charges £18 per 90 minute coached session on the dry slope. OK the coaching is excellent but the views are no where near as impresive. I suspect the indoor slopes are even more expensive.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Actually thinking about it my days of 15 runs a day are probably over. So let's say 10 Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sadly, I am becoming more and more of the view my pound can be better spent on something other than skiing - at approaching 67 my knees are not what they were and to get vfm you have to ski a lot. I can have a very nice fortnight walking somewhere in the winter for the price of a week's skiing.

As with everything, greed kills the golden goose
snow report
@countryman, much as would love to spend 2 weeks walking in the winter, sadly my knees wouldn't take it. But good on you to spend 2 weeks in the winter hiking, hopefully in the mountains.
latest report
countryman wrote:

As with everything, greed kills the golden goose

I , unfortunately, am over 75 and for major resorts in France my pass is free ..last year I did a week in Italy as well but the added cost of the pass and the tolls have forced me to say NO Confused after many years in the Dolomites which I love so this year its 3 weeks in France making my holiday so much more affordable
ski holidays
Lift prices are going to be a shock for many this year. Given that many of the contributors here seem to have been skiing for many years it is worth checking out the discounts available for the more experienced. An Arlberg day pass is going to be €75 but if your year of birth is 1959 or before it will be €68, still expensive but a worthwhile saving - pretty much 10%, other areas will have similar arrangements. How families will cope I have no idea.
latest report
@countryman, Not sure you can call it greed given the cost pressures-fuel, salaries, infrastructure materials-that lift companies will be having to manage, like every other section of the economy.
To the best of my knowledge, the likes of S3V and STVI are not posting booming profits.
snow report
Quote:

to get vfm you have to ski a lot

This is a good point. The "points passes" rarely make sense if you are taking a few big chairs or gondolas and the daily prices are expensive "per ride" unless you do a lot. Certainly season passes offer much better value but only if you're spending many days on the hill, which we did when we had an apartment.

With smart systems it should be possible to take as many lifts as you want, and the system work out how much to charge you, over a week (or a day or any other pre-arranged period of time). Such a system could also do "peak pricing" to encourage spreading the load throughout the day (and the season). The present systems are very clunky. Little or no sign of creative thinking.

Having to decide in advance what passes to buy is always complicated, especially with a family doing different things.
latest report
2waterford wrote:
I was a bit surprised this morning to see a daily pass for skiwelt rise from €52 last season to €69 this season.
Skiwelt annual pass of €732 still great value.
We will continue to pay the prices as in late 50s our skiing days aren’t as plentiful as our young adult kids,

How are your favourite resorts doing with price increases season on season

Yup, it's getting crazy. Apparently Zillertal will be €72 a day and Arlberg €75 a day... Wonder if Ischgl will make it a nice round €80?!

The Innsbruck Freizeitticket (our season pass) was about €380 when I first started getting it, now almost €700... In fairness that's still around the level of 10 day tickets to break even, but still. This will be my first season since 08/09 without a season pass - we're away for Christmas/NY and most of Jan and Feb and I guess I'll just tour or get day tickets the rest of time, which at least opens up some more flexibility to chase the snow - but it still feels pretty weird.
ski holidays
Big question is will skiers just suck it up or ski less or will it push more people into buying season pass.

Thankfully we are at age where our ‘kids’ are of the age to pay for themselves but will families be priced out.
snow conditions
Here in Austria the pre-Covid maximum price for a day pass was around €55, less than 4 years later it's approx. €75.
ski holidays
2waterford wrote:
Big question is will skiers just suck it up or ski less or will it push more people into buying season pass.

Thankfully we are at age where our ‘kids’ are of the age to pay for themselves but will families be priced out.

Can’t speak to holiday skiers, but a significant number (30-40%) of my friends - who normally always buy season tickets - aren’t buying them this year and plan to tour more or just buy day tickets when it’s good. Interestingly a few planning to buy summer MTB season passes instead, which still seem to be reasonably priced.

Families here will be hugely affected too. Unlike pretty much any of the alpine countries, skiing has been a very normal thing for normal and ‘working class’ (hate the term but you know what I mean) people to do regularly through the winter and not just on holiday - basically everyone lives within 1-2 hours of a ski lift. That’s going to change, not just due to ticket costs but everything else too. Skis can easily cost €1k at RRP without bindings now, which is mad! And not just DPS et al either.
latest report
Quote:

For brits not living close to a resort I suspect many will just suck it up. You need around 2.5 weeks on snow for a season pass to break even, and I suspect a minority manage that amount of time.

As much as I do think it is expensive and I won't be playing it, I think for a lot of people £50-60 for a day entertainment is fairly normal now. Many are happy to pay that for a premier League game for example. Even with the expensive lift pass my trip to tignes is still less than many of my non-skier friends pay for their holidays (generally middle class, decent job, time poor so can splurge a bit more on the trips they do take).

Of course some will be priced out, but I don't envision a huge reduction in resorts this season.
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

For brits not living close to a resort I suspect many will just suck it up. You need around 2.5 weeks on snow for a season pass to break even, and I suspect a minority manage that amount of time.

At Paradiski, this season break even is at 13 days
snow report
@clarky999, worth pointing out though (for the non locals on here) that your freizeitticket also includes summer season right? Which when you take that in to consideration, it becomes a pretty decent deal, as long as you use it. Considerably cheaper than a golf club membership.
ski holidays
thierryd wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

At Paradiski, this season break even is at 13 days

You are correct. I was just going of the ones I'd seen which seem to be about 2.5 weeks to break even. But even 13 days doesn't seem that tempting. In the grand scheme of things for Brits doing 2 weeks it's a fairly insignificant saving and decreases flexibility a lot. If a resort did something along the lines of buy one week pass, get the second half price I suspect the savings could really tempt people.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:

As are you your spelling. Very Happy
ski holidays
2waterford wrote:

Chamonix season passes have also gone up ... can't imagine the payback days have changed.
ski holidays
We are going to Tignes this Christmas and I was surprised to see that a Tignes lift pass over Christmas 2023 is 396 EUR for an adult and 336 EUR for a child, so 1800 EUR (about £1568) for our family of 5! Shocked Never before have we paid this much for a 6 day lift pass.
ski holidays
@Motherofthree, believe there's also no discount between day passes and a regular 6 day weeks pass, meaning it's not worth buying in advance before the day of skiing, except the hassle of loading passes daily.
latest report
Motherofthree wrote:
We are going to Tignes this Christmas and I was surprised to see that a Tignes lift pass over Christmas 2023 is 396 EUR for an adult and 336 EUR for a child, so 1800 EUR (about £1568) for our family of 5! Shocked Never before have we paid this much for a 6 day lift pass.

Tignes Pass give a 184€ discount if you buy a minimum of 2 adults pass + 2 kids pass
snow report
I Guess I will just have to suck it up, I love to ski, and I'd rather eat beans for a month than give up my ski break. I do ski a few times a season, but never for longer than a few days It's a draw back to this working malarky.
snow conditions
@Motherofthree, so they haven't gone up that much? Last year, €378 - less than 5% increase https://www.valdisere.com/en/prepare-for-your-stay/buy-my-skipass/
ski holidays
@thierryd, Thanks for the info, that would make quite a big difference in the cost for buying lift passes for the 5 of us. What is "Tignes Pass"? I have tried to Google it, but can't find any info about it. We will have a "MyTignes card" through renting the apartment though.

@swskier, Yes, I noticed there are day passes as well, but if I don't misremember, these are only valid for the Tignes area as opposed to the whole Tignes/Val d'Isere area.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 26-09-23 13:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@under a new name, I see. I have never been to Tignes before, just noticed that the lift passes will take up a considerable part of our ski holiday budget this year!
snow conditions
Motherofthree wrote:
@thierryd, What is "Tignes Pass"? I have tried to Google it, but can't find any info about it. We will have a "MyTignes card" through renting the apartment though.

@swskier, Yes, I noticed there are day passes as well, but if I don't misremember, these are only valid for the Tignes area as opposed to the whole Tignes/Val d'Isere area.

Excuse my English.....

If you are buying your Ski Pass at Tignes, you will have a 184€ discount....

See there: https://en.tignes.net/skiing/ski-pass-you-need

"PROMOTION
For any simultaneus purchase of 4 or more ski passes at the public rate, of the same duration (from 6 to 13 days) and with the same validity, including at least 2 adults (19-64 years old) and 2 children (8-18 years old), a promotion of 184€ will be granted on the total amount."
ski holidays
Quote:

But even 13 days doesn't seem that tempting.

It does to me. At the moment I'm planning 2 10 day trips. Last year I saw that the snow was looking good on the last week of the season so one's wife and one booked last minute flights to Geneva and hired a car. We got 3 days of sking in and some time just walking about after the lifts had closed for the season. We wouldn't have even thought about it if we did't already have season passes in our pockets. I think the overall cost was less than £200 each.

A classic lift pass for Les Arcs, which doesn't include the express lanes or trips to La Plagne but does cover the funicular to Bourg st Maurice costs us older skiers 544€
latest report
@thierryd, Thanks very much for the info, sounds great, even if the total cost for the 6 day lift passes will still be £1410 for us.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy