Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski train map

Poster: A snowHead
@davidof, Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof wrote:
crosbie wrote:
Ok, let's list towns reachable by railway stations that have a ski lift (chair, funicular or cable car) within 15 mins walking from town centre:

1) Bourg St Maurice
2) Briançon
3) Chamonix

Maybe these need to be divided into mainline stations and branch line stations?

Or, how many train changes are involved between UK Eurostar station and resort station?

None of those have a train station at the base of the slopes. Although Chamonix is close, the stop at le Montets up the valley would be better with slopes directly at the stop.

but no, I'm talking about somewhere you can ski to the station. C'mon snowheads, must try harder.

Skiing to the station?
There are a fair few but my favourite is probably Percha in Italy.
The railway station, gondola station and ski hire all form part of the same building, and it's at the bottom of a flattering 5km run, one of the prettiest in Kronplatz!
If we're including tram stops, you can often ski to Mutteralm near Innsbruck when there's enough snow.
As someone else has pointed out, there's a map covering all the railway lines (and resorts with stations) across the Alps here.
http://www.2thealps.com/skiing-by-train-maps_copy.htm
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Neil Neige, good to learn about Percha.
I remember @Ronald used it to get to the Birthday Bash last year.
Might come in handy for a future skiing trip to Kronplatz.
In that context I have Le Chable in CH, from (above) the train station you can take the gondola straight to Verbier and there's also a good ski hire shop and depot.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Arcs funicular is a train right? Though the platform at BSM is longer than many ski villages…

Wengen, Grindelwald, Eben im Pongau, Schladming… many more in Austria.

And indeed Percha for Kronplatz. Though only used it to leave as I get weird connections in morning to it. Used ponte gardena and bus to travel into the superski area.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've just researched it, it seems that Percha train station is easily connected to Drei Zinnen area via a free train option (if you have the holiday pass by sleeping in a local hotel)
https://www.skipustertal.com/en/
Together with the bus to Alta Badia/Santa Croce, it makes Kronplatz a good option for a week
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
northernrookie wrote:
If anyone is curious, you can take the OUIGO direct from Lyon airport to Bourg St Maurice for 16€

one train a day and nearly 4 hours trip !

Its about the same as other low cost public transport but I find train much more comfortable than coach travel, also if you get a morning flight it shouldn't be an issue
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
northernrookie wrote:
If anyone is curious, you can take the OUIGO direct from Lyon airport to Bourg St Maurice for 16€
The return journey from BSM to Lyon Airport is too late for all (?) the BA flights back to the UK, arriving at the airport at 9.30pm. It's a shame as this would have been a civilised, if extremely slow, transfer option.

That is a huge shame, I hadn't really considered that (perhaps the Bourg - Grenoble then onward to Grenoble airport / other airports could work?). You would have thought they would offer multiple trains a day but I guess not

Or maybe it's only useful for us who live in France Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
northernrookie wrote:
The return journey from BSM to Lyon Airport is too late for all (?) the BA flights back to the UK, arriving at the airport at 9.30pm. It's a shame as this would have been a civilised, if extremely slow, transfer option.

Perhap not direct, or as cheap, but there are plenty of options for earlier trains. Even with changes most are under 5 hours.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ecureuil wrote:
Even with changes most are under 5 hours.
Which compares to less than two hours if you drive. If you need to arrive 90+ minutes ahead of check-in, a 5 hour transfer from BSM (plus travel time to Bourg) is getting towards being unworkable, certainly would be for me.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Paris-Milan train stopped at Lyon Airport and Chambéry a few years ago, which made the journey a very palatable 2h35 to Moutiers - but it seems like they've stopped that now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
northernrookie wrote:
davidof wrote:
northernrookie wrote:

one train a day and nearly 4 hours trip !

Its about the same as other low cost public transport but I find train much more comfortable than coach travel, also if you get a morning flight it shouldn't be an issue

hmm unless your flight is delayed. Personally not something I'd like to risk.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
another clue, France, ski piste and drag lift are on the right. Bizarrely unknown to snowcarbon and the skiingbytrain map. A shade over 5 hours from Paris.

resort-X
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@davidof, thanks, I've never heard of it before. Still it's rather low and 60 km at most, makes sense if you live in the area I guess.
Have you been there?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
drporat wrote:
@davidof, thanks, I've never heard of it before. Still it's rather low and 60 km at most, makes sense if you live in the area I guess.
Have you been there?

Yes... when Courchevel was closed due to lack of snow Happy. We had to change our plans. The people I skied with sent me this the weekend after "What a weekend… and the snow was ok for the season. We went to val thorens this we, and at 3200m, there’s less snow than at Resort X!! "

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 5-10-23 17:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good to know in this case, must have been a retour d'est back then
snow conditions
drporat wrote:
Good to know in this case, must have been a retour d'est back then

Yes it would have been that, dry as a bone in the Northern French Alps but loads of snow elsewhere.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

but no, I'm talking about somewhere you can ski to the station. C'mon snowheads, must try harder.

Bad Gastein - The train station is right next to the Stubnerkogelbahn and the main run back into the village. You can't quite ski onto the platform though.
snow conditions
Quote:

another clue, France, ski piste and drag lift are on the right. Bizarrely unknown to snowcarbon and the skiingbytrain map. A shade over 5 hours from Paris.

...errrm, Bad Gastein, in France @Hal Apeno?

Sounds like @drporat is in the know.

If I have the right place, 1150m for the train station / drag lift start and 1850m or so for top of the available uplift. And over 250km from the nearest Alp.
snow report
bobski62 wrote:
Quote:

...errrm, Bad Gastein, in France @Hal Apeno?

Ah...ok...i missed that bit.

I stand by Bad Gastein as a train accessible resort though. On the line between Salzburg and Klagenfurt, with a few direct trains a day from Munich too.
snow conditions
In relation to getting on the hill direct from the station, Le Chable to Verbier is an excellent connection. Wrote about this here:
https://skiflightfree.org/london-to-verbier-train/

Another resort that has an integral station/lift is Fiesch to Fiescheralp - all in the same building:
latest report
Champery telepherique literally across the platform. A bit of a faff to get there from Geneva though (2 changes) and not sure how it would tie in with rail from UK.
snow conditions
Have come across this thread after an exciting morning waking up at 5am to try and get Briancon night train tickets for family of 5 first week of Parisian Feb school holidays. Got through in end but at a cost and all tickets fully sold by 7:30am! Guess the Mondane line being shut pushing more people down that route. We're getting 20 min taxi then to Claviere.

As for train accessible resorts elsewhere, amazed noone seems to have mentioned Bardonecchia yet. Direct from Paris (4.5 hrs) or Turin on high speed line when landslides not getting in way. I've done Zell am See a couple of times as well - works good with sleeper from Paris, change at Salzburg. There's a number of Swiss resorts if they are in budget. Crans Montana using Funicular from Sierre was a doddle. In the Pyrenees Ax-Les-Thermes with direct sleeper train from Paris. Most exotic one I've done to add to list is Karuizawa where you walk off the Shinkansen straight into the slopes. Although obviously bit more of hike overland from the UK that one!
latest report
Deibitto wrote:
Have come across this thread after an exciting morning waking up at 5am to try and get Briancon night train tickets for family of 5 first week of Parisian Feb school holidays. Got through in end but at a cost and all tickets fully sold by 7:30am! Guess the Mondane line being shut pushing more people down that route. We're getting 20 min taxi then to Claviere.

As for train accessible resorts elsewhere, amazed noone seems to have mentioned Bardonecchia yet. Direct from Paris (4.5 hrs) or Turin on high speed line when landslides not getting in way. I've done Zell am See a couple of times as well - works good with sleeper from Paris, change at Salzburg. There's a number of Swiss resorts if they are in budget. Crans Montana using Funicular from Sierre was a doddle. In the Pyrenees Ax-Les-Thermes with direct sleeper train from Paris. Most exotic one I've done to add to list is Karuizawa where you walk off the Shinkansen straight into the slopes. Although obviously bit more of hike overland from the UK that one!

Well done Deibitto. I really want to do this trip. I fell afoul of the overnight Briancon train (I waited for the ticket release but on the day found there were no tickets as there was unannounced engineering works) and had to arrange last minute flights. I wish the French let you book these further in advance. After being burnt once I wont risk it. How did you get tickets? Online?
snow report
@turboblackbeard, SNCF Connect for tickets. After notching the return I actually changed our inbound Eurostar leg and found prices weren't that much higher than March when I originally booked them. So in future may just wait on the Eurostar. Or do it using Interrail passes with supplements which gives flexibility and similar cost all in given kids passes are free. If half term doesn't overlap Paris school holidays then I think it would be *far* easier to get cheap tickets.

We make life difficult by matching my desire to go overland and wife's keenness on Italy for language reasons while fitting all into a half term week and budget as much as possible.
snow conditions
railway to Bourg St Maurice under water and damaged by flooding last night

ski holidays
Like many before, I took a train from Munich to Westendorf in SkiWelt. Walked 10 mins to accommodation and later 10 mins to the chairlift. I believe other stations in Austria are available. No idea what are the links/timetables to UK.
latest report
davidof wrote:
railway to Bourg St Maurice under water and damaged by flooding last night...
And looks as though the line beyond Albertville will be closed until 8 December. Replacement buses.
latest report
ecureuil wrote:
davidof wrote:
And looks as though the line beyond Albertville will be closed until 8 December. Replacement buses.

it is a disaster !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
northernrookie wrote:
Or, Grenoble (bus station) to Bourg or Moutiers is 10€
Snap up the cheap prices before they go up! Toofy Grin

We did this in April. The return was ultra packed, huge numbers standing (it was a Monday), with a young French women who decided to take an entire block of 4 seats for her luggage and person!
ski holidays
ecureuil wrote:
davidof wrote:

Oh no!! Hope that it’s OK in January Confused
ski holidays
Can anyone name a resort in Switzerland that isnt connected by train? (or postbus which is seamlessly integrated into the train system)
latest report
davidof wrote:
ecureuil wrote:
davidof wrote:

it is a disaster !

France Alpine rail network is crumbling to bits.

Line to Italy closed. BSM main station closed. Eurostar to Alps diminished.
snow conditions
London to Basel in under 6 hours... Really hope it happens:

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/could-a-direct-high-speed-train-link-between-switzerland-and-london-soon-be-a-reality-/49071586
snow conditions
Chamonix valley in general is very accessible by train (apart from last week with land slides). I haven't done it yet, but would I'd love to take the train up les houches just for fun. Vallorcine/la tour is accessible from both sides, the journey up from Martigny is beautiful. As long as you're comfortable changing trains a few times and carrying all your gear. Annemasse lifts always seem to be out of action for example.
My first trainski trip was just me and my 5 year old (at the time) to saas-fee then down to Chamonix before returning to Geneva airport. We managed with 1 ski bag and 1 suitcase. Unforgettable trip, and kiddo loved the trains.
latest report
Canuck wrote:
... I'd love to take the train up les houches just for fun.

It is a scenic but quite slow route on the rack and pinion railway, from Le Fayet in the valley or St Gervais (first stop). In the winter it takes you to Bellevue, close to the skilift of the same name from Les Houches town, right on the slopes.

Le Fayet will be even better next season (24/25) for taking the train to ski, construction is well under way for the new gondola connecting the St Gervais lift system directly from the station car park.
snow report
drporat wrote:
I've just received a detailed email from SnowCarbon, Daniel's excellent website.
It says:

Winter trains go on sale 4th October at 6am French time
Dear everyone,

A heads up about trains going on sale.

SNCF has confirmed to me that this Wednesday 04 October 2023, at around 6am French time, trains in France will go on sale, for the first period of winter.

This is the information that I have proactively managed to elicit from SNCF’s press office. Honestly, it’s been like trying to get that last bit of ketchup out the bottle: you have to try multiple times and never quite get all of it.

Across the travel industry, organisations that should have access to this info (rail-booking websites and agents) have been left in the dark by SNCF. Baffling really.

Booking dates

10 Dec 2023 - 09 Jan 2024
- sales open at around 6am on 04 October 2023

10 Jan 2024 - 09 Feb 2024
'Sales open progressively' *

10 Feb 2024 - 24 March 2024
- sales open 15 November 2023

25 March onwards
Sales open at a date that SNCF won't divulge yet

And for OUIGO (a low-cost TGV to some destinations) the entire winter season (and beyond, actually, until 04 July 2024) goes on sale on 04 October. You can see a list of OUIGO destinations here: https://www.ouigo.com/destinations

Do we know a date and time for 25th March onwards yet? I need to book the TGV on 30th March bourg to Paris
snow conditions
j b wrote:
Canuck wrote:
... I'd love to take the train up les houches just for fun.

It is a scenic but quite slow route on the rack and pinion railway, from Le Fayet in the valley or St Gervais (first stop). In the winter it takes you to Bellevue, close to the skilift of the same name from Les Houches town, right on the slopes.

Le Fayet will be even better next season (24/25) for taking the train to ski, construction is well under way for the new gondola connecting the St Gervais lift system directly from the station car park.

Ah... I wondered what was going on there. They'll need to increase parking if that's the case.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy