Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Flaine in March 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Hello experts,

I am booking a family ski holiday for the first time and would really appreciate your input.

We are a family of five. 2 adults and 3 teenagers. All beginners except me. It’s been 17 years since I put skis on , but I did go on several ski breaks back then so I’m counting myself as ‘intermediate’! (it’s like riding a bike, right?)

I have found a holiday (through Crystal) 16-23 March in La Flaine that comes to £5.4k. That is staying at a place called LES TERRASSES DE VÉRET RESIDENCES and includes self-catering accommodation, ski equipment, morning lessons, lift passes, coach transfers etc.

It feels to me like that’s pretty good value and will serve us well? I looked at cheaper options (Andorra etc.) but the transfers are all 3 hours or more and I can’t be arsed with that.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, before I take the plunge and pay £5k for a potentially bad decision. My husband has never been skiing (and my experience is limited to a beginner trip to Andorra, a University trip to Val d’Isere, and a few days in Morzine - all over 17 years ago), so he’s relying on me to be the one leading this holiday
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
P.S forgot to say, we aren’t too fussy about the accommodation quality. I picked it because of the location. We also don’t really mind when we go between Jan-March, it was just that 16-23 March came up cheapest. My worry is that snow coverage but on researching it, that doesn’t seem to be a concern.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@KatieStobbart, good for you! (Leading the experience that is snowHead )

I's cetral to Flaine (no "La") but you want to check where beginners lessons are held? You'll probably want lessons too...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Of course….Flaine. Doh.

Yes I’ve booked myself lessons as well, although I’m hopeful of being moved up a group once I find my ski legs Eh oh! Eh oh!

Thank you. I think I just need a bit of reassurance really that there’s not some huge reason to avoid it that I haven’t foreseen. You know….like someone replying “Goodness don’t go there in March because….[insert reason]” or “Flaine would be a terrible choice because [insert reason]”
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Morning lessons included for all, prsumably? though sometimes the special bargain "learn to ski weeks" only cover the very basic beginner levels.

Sounds a good wheeze, @KatieStobbart, but be aware that if they all love it you'll be up to your neck in a string of expensive holidays
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Morning lessons included for all, prsumably? though sometimes the special bargain "learn to ski weeks" only cover the very basic beginner levels.

Sounds a good wheeze, @KatieStobbart, but be aware that if they all love it you'll be up to your neck in a string of expensive holidays

Yes it includes lessons for us all. I have 3 boys and they’re all really sporty/agile so (without sounding smug) I’m kinda hopeful that once they’ve got the basics we might not even access the lessons for the whole week. We’ll play it by ear. My instinct is that we could go to our local Snowdome a couple of times before, and then I could probably teach them the rest, but I’m playing it safe with lessons as I’d rather not risk it!

Thanks for replying.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lessons are a good idea, and hopefully if they get on really well they can be "promoted" to a higher group. It depends a bit on how well they listen! And they might listen better to an instructor than to mother..... It's not quite like riding a bike - equipment and techniques have changed a bit and unless you did quite a bit of skiing, and had good lessons, you've probably got some bad habits (for example swinging your shoulders around) which you don't want to pass on.

And you'll have a lot more fun in your own group, without bothering about the rest of them!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@KatieStobbart, you will definitely (well allowing for personality deficiencies) all want (need) lessons all week.

Skiing is counter-intuitive.

But no reason not to go with the plan snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
KatieStobbart wrote:
P.S forgot to say, we aren’t too fussy about the accommodation quality. I picked it because of the location. We also don’t really mind when we go between Jan-March, it was just that 16-23 March came up cheapest. My worry is that snow coverage but on researching it, that doesn’t seem to be a concern.

Snow is usually good in that mid march period, shouldn't be any issue for you in that location.

Flaine couldn't be better for a family and the things you've asked about in my view. Has really really good immediate slopes all around the village that are absolutely ideal for learning / progression in ski skills. We've taken family with two children there for many years formative skiing, ideal for so many aspect.
Notable is that you could all likely get to highest point with exceptional blue piste to get all the way back to village, there's no real barrier to using all of the immediate bowl located piste, all without the concerns it may give an early skills group of getting "stuck" with any particularly difficult access. Perfect really.

Great for mixed group meeting with Cafe etc in Forum area to collect to and from lessons (there's convenient access via little lift between both principal levels that are usually teaching meet points) makes fir a very convenient and easy day on the snow for a family group.

It has everything you need.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
To add.....Flaine is all pretty convenient for accommodation accessibility to the piste, this location being literally right next to the piste and learning area of Flaine Forèt, the upper level of the two main grouping in Flaine center, exemplary in getting a family out the door onto snow Very Happy

Small supermarket across the road, larger in lower level "Forum" three pedestrian lifts between the two level, it's easy to move around conveniently. Plenty of places for lunch etc, or to eat in / out whichever suits.

Skills allowing, plenty more to explore ski wise out in the greater GM domain, generally good piste access too, even for learners, likely their lessons groups would take them anyway depending on progression.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a lot of fantastic modern Bauhaus architecture in Flaine. Some of it feels like the set of a 1970's science fiction film. It's really worthwhile taking a good look around the resort, the chapel in particular is a French historical monument. They do a free walking tour on Tuesday afternoons, but unfortunately it's only in French.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Welcome to Snowheads! I think Flaine would be a good choice for your family. My two are now late teen/uni age but have skied in the Grand Massif several times and it is one of their favourite ski areas.

I think Les Terraces de Veret is well located but probably on the more basic side. You could also look at Le Centaure and Alhena (the latter is brand new) which are also well located but more luxurious. You might save a bit of money going the week after ie w/c 23rd March.

If you want to compare the Crystal costs with any other Tour Operators I'd recommend Peak retreats who we use and they offer good self drive packages with eurotunnel flexiplus (or accommodation only at a lower cost if you book your own flights).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Re the OP wanting to avoid 3+hour transfers.
Last year, on a family week in Flaine with Crystal, our transfer was much longer than 3 hours. This was because Crystal required us to hang around for a couple of hours at the airport, to await a later flight (arriving from a different UK airport) so that all their Flaine customers could go in one coach.
During our long wait the Crystal reps told us bulls**t cover stories about our coach possibly having been delayed by French traffic jams or whatever. But when directly challenged they eventually admitted that Crystal's transfers are sometimes consolidated in this way. I suspect this is actually their normal routine practice.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, tour operator transfers can be a drag, both waiting round at the airport and trailing round different locations in resort. But a TO package is nonetheless probably still a good bet for a "first time" family trip. Taking a family for a first holiday is always going to be hard work, whatever way you choose to organise it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@KatieStobbart, welcome, and what you are thinking of sounds like a good plan. I wouldn't encourage anyone to skip their booked lessons, at the beginner stage there is a lot of fun to be had with your lesson group and it keeps you motivated. No problem enjoying family ski time in the afternoons.

My first read of your post suggested you had been told it was a 3 hour transfer to Flaine, but then I realised that was for the economic alternatives. However what @peerless ploughman says is right, if you are unlucky tour operators like Crystal can keep you waiting so they can consolidate flights even if the actual bus time is less than 2 hours. But as @pam w says for a first ski holiday you don't want to be sorting out your own transfers, there are enough stressful things to deal with (finding your apartment, getting your rental skis, working out where to go for ski school first day).

Do come back and tell us how you get on.
snow conditions
Some tour operators (in my experience Inghams for example) are not as bad as Crystal when it comes to consolidating transfers.
ski holidays
@KatieStobbart, that seems like a decent deal to me, with all key items included.
We’ve skied Flaine 7-8 time on consecutive season from when our son was very young to 9, the only reason we stopped going was that the hotel Crystal used was sold refurbished. It’s a great ski area, the local Flaine pass should be Ok for all of you, being able to get to the highest point on the GM and skiing back to the village.
It’s not the liveliest place at night, there’s a few nice restaurants to eat out, and two well stocked if a touch expensive supermarkets ( up in the mountains they all are), one in the Forum and one in Foret, plenty of variety to do simple meals in the sc apt, plus a take away pizza place.
If your able to, have a late lunch and ski 12-2 when the majority of skiers will be eating, you will have the place to yourselves.
Have a look at the thread on sc food for tips on what to take and cook whilst away, it’s all really helpful.
Go and enjoy, and as other have said prepare for the ongoing costs for return weeks away Very Happy
snow conditions
If you like the teaching (technical, not just fun tours round the mountain), consider getting more. Learning properly from the start is so much cheaper than trying to unlearn bad habits later, trust me!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy