Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What’s your favourite resort within 2 hours of Geneva?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for somewhere new this year, it’s going to be a different vibe as both the kids will be away on a school trip,…
Requirements are max 2 hours transfer from Geneva, quite high, ski in / out a must and open to both large and small resorts. It would be good to have some trees in case of weather but but no means prerequisite.
I’m currently looking at Avoriaz as it seems to tick most boxes but open to something new! Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When? If it's February half term when the kids are away, don't go to France. I'd strongly recommend the Dolomites if you've not been there before - but flying to Venice or similar, not Geneva, obviously.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Carroz is my favourite resort within two hours of Geneva. It gets good snow for its altitude, has pretty tree lined slopes and is linked to Flaine which is more snow sure early and late season. You can ski to and from the door to Les Chalets de Jouvence. There are also some excellent mountain restaurants in Morillon which you can easily ski to from Les Carroz.

However as Pam W says it depends when you are going. I wouldn’t go to Les Carroz in new year or half term weeks as the grand massif as a whole would be too busy for my liking. However I always avoid those weeks anyway.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
First full week of Feb. We’ve skied Montgenèvre on this week and it’s been absolutely fine but appreciate it’s almost Italy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Personally I'd stay in Morzine rather than Avoriaz as you'll be child-less but then you won't have ski in ski out.

Avoriaz would tick your boxes though
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
I'd strongly recommend the Dolomites if you've not been there before - but flying to Venice or similar, not Geneva, obviously.

Please! Neutral I really enjoy my Brit light holibobs. France is very nice I've heard! Razz
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

First full week of Feb

That should be fine, as the French hols don't start till 10 Feb. Ideal week to go to a French resort. Like Mollerski though I prefer places not full of Brits - so my favourite area within easy reach of Geneva is the Espace Diamant which few British skiers have heard of.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quite a few Swiss resorts within 2 hours of GVA.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nendaz is pretty much exactly 2 hours from Geneva (1 hour 54 mins according to google). There is ski in out accommodation available though not masses of it. It has both plenty of high skiing and tree-lined. A very good resort.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flaine - ski in/out ; short transfer
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
albob wrote:
Flaine - ski in/out ; short transfer

That would be my choice as well.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All the main ski areas around Geneva have plenty of trees, except Chamonix. Not really sure about ski-in ski-out but that will mostly just depend on the individual accommodation.

Snow reliability shouldn't be an issue in early February so I'm not sure you need to be looking for somewhere highish. However Avoriaz certainly ticks that box, and has access to trees too.

For what it's worth, my favourite ski areas around Geneva would probably be, ranked in order of preference:

1. Grand Massif (staying in Les Carroz)
2. Portes du Soleil (staying in Morzine)
3. Espace Diamant (staying in Notre Dame de Bellecombe)
...with Megeve / St Gervais / Les Contamines a close 4th.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Les Contamines is great - a shame, in a way, that it's not linked over the hill to Megeve but on the other hand that would greatly dilute its character.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Verbier - but off the scale pricing means its a no-go for the foreseeable future.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
La Tania is two hours from Geneva. Small family friendly resort with access to the entire 3 Valleys. Not cheap but better value than Courchevel.
latest report
Quote:

La Tania is two hours from Geneva

Not on the average transfer day.... wink
snow conditions
maddness wrote:
La Tania is two hours from Geneva. Small family friendly resort with access to the entire 3 Valleys. Not cheap but better value than Courchevel.

That's an interesting description of La Tania. I tend to see the Courchevel valley and it's various villages as one large ski area and tend not not think of the villages as individual. Probably because I've always been based in Meribel and only visit these places for lunch stops. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Morillon 1100 for ski in/out in the Grand Massif, local tree runs too. I also like Les Carroz at its a larger village, but I seem to remember it being a trek to the lift. Have never stayed in Flaine itself, but want to give it a go sometime soon. Overall, the Grand Massif is my favourite French ski area near to Geneva and the skiing in Flaine is pretty respectable in terms of altitude in case it is struggling for snow lower down in Morillon Les Esserts.
ski holidays
There are ~100 stations within 2hrs of Geneva. The top 3 are...

1. Verbier
2. Argentiere
3. Avoriaz
ski holidays
@Whitegold, que? truly you are wrong.
ski holidays
@under a new name, when one has to express oneself in a kind of haiku, the scope for nuance is limited.
ski holidays
@pam w, it's a pretty rubbish haiku!
latest report
Hard to argue against Avoriaz or Flaine/Grand Massif for altitude/ski in/out and tree runs. Those criteria will eliminate a fair number of spots.
snow report
Verbier if you put your foot down.
latest report
Argentiere is great if you’re not wedded to ski in/out. Why is that important?
ski holidays
@Gordyjh, Argentiere doesn’t have so very much going on in the evening these days, and while les Grands is amazing early on a powder day, it’s otherwise not so great if you want piste skiing …
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@pam w, it's a pretty rubbish haiku!

Avoriaz is good
Argentiere is better
But Verbier's best

was wot he meant to say.
snow report
@T Bar, Verbier can also be eye wateringly expensive Happy see above re Argentiere.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@T Bar, Verbier can also be eye wateringly expensive Happy see above re Argentiere.

The rhyme though is good
skiing is expensive
Just a thought of snow.
ski holidays
Megeve
ski holidays
Avoriaz - close to Geneva. Ski in/out (everywhere, not just expensive accom), and in the biggest ski area in the world (Portes du Soleil).

I try to visit at least once per season.
snow conditions
@under a new name, I haven’t been since the lift burned down.
snow conditions
For all round skiing quality including altitude, trees and range of villages Verbier is the best resort within 2 hours.
Personally I love Les Contamines which is why I have an apartment there but that decision was also motivated by value for money, absolute cost and attractiveness in summer which are likely not issues for you. If money was no object, I'd have probably bought in Chamonix Le Praz so perhaps that is my favourite? It's too complicated a question for a simple answer!

But if I wasn't on a budget and had your criteria for a holiday I think I'd go to Verbier.
latest report
Quote:

But if I wasn't on a budget and had your criteria for a holiday I think I'd go to Verbier

+1
snow report
Remember also that Verbier is readily accessible by public transport from inside Geneva Airport. Yes, it extends the transit time to 3+ hours, but most of that is spent sat on the train versus negotiating shuttle buses, pickup, the A9, return search for re-fuelling, return, shuttle and worry you'll be charged for someone else's damage. An SBB advance Saver Day Pass ticket is CHF 52 and covers travel at any time on the date specified. Of course, if you've got a ton of luggage and equipment, then the train/télépherique may not really work for you. But worth comparing the times and prices of rail vs rental car if you're not carrying a lot.
snow report
Transfers are becoming a stressful and expensive part of DIY holidays. A convenient train journey is an attractive prospect. I have no big problem with the drive from airport to resort but picking up, and returning, hired cars is always a mission, on top of the endless airport hassle. . Would much prefer to drive my own car from home.
ski holidays
Personally I prefer Morzine to Avoriaz as a base. It's a nice town, and you can pick to ski the Les Gets side or Avoriaz side of the area each day, without having to schlep across the town and back to visit 'the other side'. There is some ski in-out accommodation, but Avoriaz is better for this.

My go to when I lived in Geneva was Verbier, quick trip up the Autoroute to park at the lift base at Le Châble. An advantage of Verbier is the good train link.

If you want to Ski the Verbier area, but want to save on accommodation, then take a look at Thyon 2000. Accommodation is all (virtually all?) ski in-out. At 2:05 drive from GVA it's only just over your 2h! Nendaz is also mentioned by others which is in the same ski area, I know Ski Club of GB use Nendaz but I've not stayed there.
latest report
BigJin wrote:
Personally I prefer Morzine to Avoriaz as a base. It's a nice town, and you can pick to ski the Les Gets side or Avoriaz side of the area each day, without having to schlep across the town and back to visit 'the other side'.

Trying to get round this, so apologies if I've missed something - but even if based in Morzine you still have to navigate the schlep across town? You can only be staying close to one side, and if you're bang in the middle then you have a half schlep every day.
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:
BigJin wrote:
Personally I prefer Morzine to Avoriaz as a base. It's a nice town, and you can pick to ski the Les Gets side or Avoriaz side of the area each day, without having to schlep across the town and back to visit 'the other side'.

Trying to get round this, so apologies if I've missed something - but even if based in Morzine you still have to navigate the schlep across town? You can only be staying close to one side, and if you're bang in the middle then you have a half schlep every day.

There is something different about having to treck across town in the middle of the day rather than at start and end.

I've also stayed in between the two lifts, so it was only a 5 min walk to either.
latest report
Fair enough, @BigJin. Must admit when we've stayed in Avoriaz then we tend to stick to the Avoriaz/Swiss side, and conversely if we're in Morzine we tend to stick to the Morzine/Les Gets side.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy