Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

October Half Term 2024- Glacier with Easy Blues- Kaprun?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
October half term next year falls in the last week of October, running into November, so a bit later than usual. We had planned to try Kaprun in Feb, but can't so our only chance to get on the slopes at all next year will be October half term (not ideal perhaps, but we're trying to see if anywhere is viable).

It doesn't have to be Kaprun of course, but as we were hoping to go there next anyway and there is a glacier it seems like a logical option, the only thing I wasn't sure about is the difficulty level of the blues. My wife found the blues at Hinterglemm this year a bit of a struggle, whereas our 8 year old was happily whizzing down them in ski school (so we need to find a bit of a balance, but not take anyone outside their comfort zone).

Would October skiing in Kaprun be suitable for someone who isn't a beginner, but has definitely got a bit nervy about steeper sections recently (she probably would start with a private lesson or two regardless, which may help of course, but she wasn't keen on doing many lessons)?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven’t skied Kapern glacier but my experience with glaciers in Oct/Nov is they can be dark, windy and miserable places. I have skied Solden and Hintertux many times mid Nov and whilst yes they would generally have a decent amount of pistes open it’s not like going to a full resort in Feb. I guess you may get 20km open at Hintertux for example.

If there hasn’t been much early season snow you risk the pistes being icy or the glacier ice showing through.

I have skied deep powder many times also but it’s hit and miss.

Personally I wouldn’t take your wife into these conditions and with no other options available she may end up spending the day in the spa. Maybe that’s ok too?@vjmehra,
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've skied the Tignes and Deux Alpes glaciers, but only in the context of ski coaching/lessons. I agree with @Matrix, generally. There can be closures due to conditions (especially high winds) and the limited pistes can be very busy with ski racers - the kids can be a real pain, hot shot little skiers with sharp elbows in the long queues for the T-bar lifts. T-bar lifts aren't much fun if you're nervous, either. The viable hours are short and IME involve getting up very early and shoving your way onto a very busy lift!

On the other hand, sometimes the sun does shine, and being at the top of the Grand Motte, in brilliant sunshine is something very special indeed!

One other thing - the glacier areas make you aware of the thinner air - any exertion soon tells, especially if you've been uplifted from a much lower altitude. Some people find the altitude a problem and the instructors I've been with have advised a sit for a coffee (and in one case a cigarette Madeye-Smiley ) before starting skiing.

It's absolutely nothing like a winter ski holiday.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
1st November is a hiliday in Germany plus school
The week from 28 Okt till 5 Nivember All the glaciers will be full ..it i also school holidays...if you mean this week
However i have to say that we go every year eitger a week or a few days
The big problem is not the blues...but the snow conditions plus how full are the slopes
Sometimes we had miserable conditions some other perfects....i love this time of the year on the glaciers
Wait till last Minute and book where the is the best snow
Ususally kaprun is always full because is the only one in Salzburg area

Consider pitztal...a bottleneck to go high but there are a few really nice blues and not so overcrowded and served from Gondel and not tbars
Otherwise sölden...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone @Matrix, the spa idea might work, but from the general feedback it sounds as though we may be better off just skipping next year and book up early 2025 instead!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@vjmehra, Austrians take the spa very seriously.

Maybe not a bad idea to look last min. Gauge the weather and the snow conditions.

Personally I have always enjoyed the glacier experience late April / early May.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Global boiling is making fall glacier skiing precarious and unpredictable.

Not many options left.

If you want a "big", flat glacier, guaranteed to be open (for now) in Oct-Nov 2024, go to Zermatt, Switzerland.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy