Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Post injury resort recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. Bit of a long, rambling question/request here and it’s my first post so not even sure it’s the right forum……I’ve booked flights to Geneva early Feb (pre half term) & need suggestions/advice/recommendations to help narrow down some resorts close to Geneva (1.30 hours max if poss). I am a bit of a cautious/nervous skier at the best of times but more so following a big knee injury 2 years ago (PCL & MCL ligaments and detached bone) so I want somewhere small, quiet, mellow, easy to get to/around slopes and scenic in case my knee /nerves give up after a day or 2 and I just want to sit in a bar and read a book. And unpretentious, cheap and cheerful. However, I also need it to be good for my family - 2 competent but cocky teenage boys (with some additional needs) and my husband who is decent skier but feels the burden of responsibility of keeping us all safe and alive. I’m ruling out Flaine /Grand Massif as that’s where I got injured and I’m looking at places like Megeve (altho sounds expensive) La Plagne, Grand Bonard, Morzine…. Our flights are Fri- Fri which will probably reduce our options a bit as I usually book self catering accommodation through Airbnb (although that seems to be less good value recently) mainly as hotels for 4 of us seems too expensive. Hopefully not all the replies will be ‘Dream on!’ - I’ve been planning a return to the slopes from the minute the doctor told me I couldn’t drive (or walk) for 4 months but I’m also fully aware that he was right when he said it’ll take 2 years to rebuild the strength in my leg. Thank you all!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Grand Bornand was first resort I visited post acl recon. Although that was 3 yrs post injury as fell pregnant at 6months post recon so ended up leaving it longer than I intended
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Goslowski, welcome to the forum.

Your one and a half hour transfer ideal rules out La Plagne and other Tarentaise resorts.

My thought was Les Gets, part of the Porte du Soleil complex that includes Morzine but with quite benign local slopes plus a few achievable challenges near at hand. If your family want more of a challenge they could ski over to the other side of Morzine where they can access a wide variety of slopes and can cross over into Switzerland.

Megeve would be fine though as you recognise expensive. A few of us here have preferred St Gervais, the other side of the Mond d'Arbois ridge (so accessing the same slopes) which is more reasonable and a nice village to hang around. I haven't experienced Grand Bornand but I think it has a smaller area and teenagers need quite a lot of slopes to burn off their energy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you - I’ll have a look at St Gervais & Les Gets. Do they have easy access to their own slopes/lifts or do you travel to Morzine? I remember even a short walk to a bus stop in full ski gear can be knackering Smile Accommodation in Morzine looked a bit pricier but I’ll look again as I’ve heard good things about it
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ how differently did you ski post injury? I’m thinking I should probably go easy on myself and take a long term view -ie get out for a few hours and enjoy it rather than expecting great things this year …. But I guess a baby might have changed your skiing a bit more? Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

And unpretentious, cheap and cheerful.

Unless it's the first week in February it's French school hols so won't be cheap (or quiet) in any French resort.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Resort-wise, I would recommend Praz sur Arly, just up the road from Megeve, much cheaper. Nearly 200 kms of pistes, which you can be fairly comfortable leaving your boys to roam.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And welcome to the Forum snowHead Megeve could never be called unpretentious, but it's the perfect description of Praz sur Arly.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Goslowski, when I got to the top of the first run, I was suddenly hit with the head demons. "Can I do this?" Thankfully my body did remember how. However I was much more cautious and had subsequent lessons where I was told by my instructor I needed to fall. To get past that fear of falling and doing it again.

I have subsequently had further knee damage (from hockey and kneeling down painting!), and after last surgery I did a session with Inside Out skiing ar Hemel. That I found really helpful in my head demons and trusting my knees.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Goslowski, welcome to the forum.

Definitely worth consideration is Praz de Lys, very flat situated village, immediate accessibility to slopes, very good food, very good lift pass prices and general cost too.
Quiet, with more space, less skiers, not huge but with very good variety of skiing for mixed group demands as you state.
No, it's not the place with endless everything, but all the better for that. Slower more considered pace, close to Geneva and with many low key accommodation options. A real step out of the pure headline named big areas with great places to loll... if you don't feel like skiing.

Did I mention the food is really good there? Very Happy some very good restaurant proprietor with great food and nice places to sit around right on the slopes. It couldn't be easier.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This might sound left field but..... Wengen. Ticks plenty of boxes and most of all if you do stop skiing it is the best place to access the mountain to join the family for lunch.
To be quite clear, as a pedestrian.
You can add Grindelwald to this suggestion.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wengen would be quite a bit longer transfer than 1.5 hours I think? But a Swiss destination could well make sense if the OP's dates coincide with French school holidays (starting with zone C, Paris etc, on 10 February).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agreed @pam w, overlooked the detail on transfer preference, however... take the train from Geneva and enjoy a delightful journey.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Turin/Pila, stay in Aosta. Lovely gondola ride from Aosta to Pila with stunning views that never tire, variety of runs, nice cafes, and the centre of Aosta is a tourist destination.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@CathyAuLait, The OP has booked flights to Geneva - Aosta is a manageable drive from Geneva, but expensive (tunnel) and can be slow. If in the OP's situation and going to Pila (which is a good shout) I think I'd prefer to stay up in Pila, where the kids could come and go under their own steam more easily. It can be a schlep to get to the gondola, depending on where you stay in Aosta.
latest report
Wow - thanks for all these posts - it’s saved me hours of indecisive research and narrowed it down Yes it's first week of Feb I’ve booked and relieved it’s not half term in France… Interesting hearing about head demons - hadn’t realised but think I’m imagining spending all that time, energy, money and then freezing at the top….and the fear of falling. Will try and go on our local dry slope with an instructor soon and find out what other fear’s I’ve got Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@Goslowski, depending on which side of Dorset you are presume Snowtrax is your local? They also do coaching mornings inc a coffee which could be that half way house, instructor giving some tips.
ski holidays
Goslowski wrote:
Thank you - I’ll have a look at St Gervais & Les Gets. Do they have easy access to their own slopes/lifts or do you travel to Morzine?

Les Gets has the nursery slopes and the lifts right in town. There is a reasonable sized ski area between there and Morzine with lots of blue runs, plus some areas with red runs for you to progress to if rehab goes well. To access the rest of PdS you normally take a direct route over to Morzine, and a bus/"train" across town either to the lift the other side or up a road to a lift giving direct access to Avoriaz. There is also a second, separate ski area in Les Gets, which tends to stay quieter.

St Gervais: basically you would take a gondola up to the base of the ski area (there is a red run down if conditions are right, but not something I would recommend until you know you are ready for a challenge). If you can get an apartment close to the lift then things are easy, otherwise you may need the ski bus.

For almost anywhere you may find you are more fussy than most about finding accommodation with easy access to both village centre and ski lifts, and that will affect price. For almost anywhere there are people who can advise whether a location you find is reasonable.
ski holidays
Many of the places mentioned, including Les Gets, are popular, main stream resorts. My suggestion of Praz sur Arly is definitely not, and would probably be quieter than St Gervais and certainly quieter than Les Gets. Also probably cheaper for accommodation, though ski passes are much the same anywhere, to be honest. Praz de Lys sounds lovely and would probably be a lot cheaper - though the skiing might be a bit limited for the family. When I went back to skiing after injury (fractured pelvis - collision) I found myself a bit freaked out by having other skiers near me. I was with friends, in an area I know very well and went just across to the valley to a very easy black run - which was completely deserted and I could relax.

You also asked for somewhere cheap. Self catering accommodation through the main tourist websites (which is usually a good place to start) will tend to be Saturday - Saturday. Plenty of apartments in Praz sur Arly for around 500 euros but - as in St Gervais and Les Gets - you need to watch the location. Those would be Sat/Sat accommodation. A lot of French rental sites are very wedded to Sat/Sat. If you rented a place from Saturday you could stay nearby in a basic valley hotel on Friday night, drive to your resort Saturday morning, ski all that day (nice quiet transfer day) and pick up the key to your accommodation around 5 pm. You might find an AirBnB which will do Fri/Fri but you might struggle with really convenient location - which will be v important for you.

If you want a transfer rather than renting a car, it might be more complicated.
snow conditions
@Goslowski, I would recommend Les Saisies as the slopes are gentle, wide and tree lined. If you stay in Chalet des Cimes you will be well placed for skiing and the village. (We have previously stayed in Le Hameau de beaufortain and Residence Amaya which are good for skiing but out of the village). However I'm not sure if any of these will offer Friday changeover.

The rest of your family could enjoy the wider Espace Diamant and you might like it too. However bear in mind that once out of Les Saisies itself you will be on some older lifts and need to do the odd drag lift.

I notice that Pam W who knows L'Espace Diamant better than me suggests Praz sur Arly as a base. Maybe due to the chance of finding cheaper accommodation on non standard arrival / departure day?

I think Le Grand Bornand would also be a good option.
snow report
I also suggested Praz sur Arly as it fits with the OP's wish for a shorter transfer. Les Saisies would be more expensive, and 35/40 minutes further, but is higher and more snow-sure, with more up to date lifts and generally more going on. It will be very hard to find Fri/Fri accommodation convenient to lifts, in either.

Les Saisies slopes are busier than the (linked) Notre Dame de Bellecombe or Arly Valley slopes.

IMO the Espace Diamant fits the OP's key criteria more closely than does Megeve and linked resorts and a lot more closely than Morzine/Les Gets.
snow conditions
No problem with @pam w's suggestion of Praz sur Arly, it is only a few minutes further transfer than Megeve. If you can't find a Fri-Fri rental you would have the possibility of staying Friday night in Sallanches (e.g. Ibis) and taking the bus up on Saturday morning (number Y83, you would have to google the winter timetable nearer the time) and fitting in a day's skiing as long as you can leave your luggage somewhere.
ski holidays
There is no public transport up to Saisies - you'd need a rental car or a private transfer
latest report
@NickyJ yes Snowtrax is a few minutes away - the coffee mornings are great actually and you’ve reminded me about them!
Now looking at St Gervais which looks pretty good.
snow conditions
@Goslowski, you can't be too far from me then Smile although I am Hampshire bottom
Fence is 100m's from Dorset border.
ski holidays
@pam w thanks for the suggestion of a 1-nighter first and I’d forgotten Saturday is usually much quieter. The flights on Friday were a bargain (although 2 suitcases almost doubled it!) but will use the savings I made on that….. Smile
latest report
Is a dry slope a good idea for a post oper?

If it's off season you may have some joy with a Fri to Fri.

Speak to immoblierre's in the town you settle on. I've never found airbnb's useful for ski accommodation.
ski holidays
@Layne, snowtrax has imho the best dry slope surface I have been on and I have been to various ones round the country (worst lift I have ever used as well!). They also have a gentle middle level slope with a magic carpet. They have some good instructors as well who are supportive and understanding
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne it’s the lift at Snowtrax that has been putting me off going back! But if I can cope with their drag lift and slopes then I can probably cope with snow Smile
latest report
Now back to thinking Megeve (mainly as it’s got the ski slopes and requires les scleping around? Could be wrong?) But is there a recommendation for which ski lift is best to be near? Or are they all pretty easy to get to from any part of town ? I’m finding the ski map hard to read as there are a lot of lifts/slopes!
snow report
I'm not sure about less schlepping about in Megeve. I don't think there's much "ski in/out" accommodation and it's about as far from your "unpretentious and cheap" criteria as it's possible to get. Eating on the mountain is notably expensive.
snow report
In Megeve I suppose if you were near the Rochebrune and Grands Champs lifts you could also ski back. But as @pam w says "unpretentious" is not the word that comes to mind, the resort was established originally by one of the Rothschilds and the presence of the top end Paris designer shops makes it clear it still caters for the wealthy.

But I am biased, you can ski the same slopes from St Gervais without too much trouble, and we like that village more.
snow report
Quote:

the presence of the top end Paris designer shops

and Michelin starred restaurants. Megeve is the sort of place where you see something lovely in a shop window, with no prices, and just know that you couldn't possibly afford it! We used to drive through on the main drag very frequently and would play "first to spot the mink coat with silly little dog". There are any number of places where there is a lot more reasonably-priced ski in/out accommodation.

There are two perfectly good supermarkets but generally you'd need a car to do a big shop there comfortably. Megeve is an attractive town (well, the middle of it is) but its relatively low altitude means that between snow falls the snow is mostly in grubby piles along the side of the road. Parking isn't the easiest.
snow report
pam w wrote:
We ... would play "first to spot the mink coat with silly little dog".

That sounds as if it is a joke, but Megeve really does have a rich clientele - and those pretending to be rich. One of our friends in St Gervais knows a hotel manager in Megeve (she owns a flat in his block) who reported that there is a discrete concierge service that rents out mink coats and lap-dogs by the week to those trying to look the part. Although I don't know how that business is doing now that Russians are personae non grata.
snow conditions
Laughing never knew that!!
ski holidays
I blame an article in the Guardian (‘Great Little Ski Resorts Feb 2017) I’ll probably do St Gervais. Although just told hubby I’ve booked flights and he’s ultra stressed now Puzzled
snow conditions
Goslowski wrote:
I blame an article in the Guardian (‘Great Little Ski Resorts Feb 2017) I’ll probably do St Gervais. Although just told hubby I’ve booked flights and he’s ultra stressed now Puzzled

snowHead Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy