Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plane Beast Pansar Sidewall Tool Anyone Own?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I need some Intel on this as I am debating if I want to use this after paying 60 bucks for it. I purchased one of these guides that comes with a small pansar file it is 7 degrees but here is my dilemma. When I run this tool putting even barely any pressure down on it but have it flush as it should be against the base the pansar file seems to scrape along the top of the side edge where I can hear it running across. It does take off sidewall and pretty clean at that it seems versus the round tools I don't want to start with yet.

If you own one do you also experience this and will it scrape the top edge as that is definitely not the result I'm wanting. It seems to get the angle to hit the sidewall but still runs along the top edge it seems.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@beantownace, is it not adjustable? I have a Swix planer and it's adjustable for height and depth, needs to be checked every time as different skis have different edge thicknesses.....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't have experience of that tool, but this website suggests what you are getting is normal (if not ideal)
https://the-raceplace.com/pages/plane-beast-user-guide
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks gents. Ken no not adjustable as far as angle it is set to a 7 degree angle and I can expose more of the pansar file but it still seems to run along the top edge. If I do it without much pressure I may be okay as it does remove a string of sidewall which is what I want of course but hearing it going along the top edge seems like it is making slight contact. The file looks on that slight angle but still seems to rest somewhat on the top edge if that makes any sense Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@beantownace, that Beast tool sucks for sidewall removal but it's great for 'back filing', ie profiling the top corner of the side edge to blend in with the sidewall once the sidewall has been trimmed back - which is why the file is contacting the top of your side edge.

A decent multi-adjustable sidewall trimmer should adjust in three planes (ie the blade needs to adjust in height, left to right & rotate) looks like this:
https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/com-virtuemart/com-virtuemart-menu-categories/the-piste-office-store/edge-tools/sidewall-removers/kunzmann-advanced-racing-sidewall-stripper-detail

or this:
https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/com-virtuemart/com-virtuemart-menu-categories/the-piste-office-store/edge-tools/sidewall-removers/kunzmann-pro-sidewall-stripper-detail
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy