Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a unicorn?

Poster: A snowHead
Hopefully someone can help me find it! Very Happy

Half term next year. 2 adults and 2 17 year olds. The boys are good skiers. My husband is competent and I’m a nervous intermediate (been stuck that way for a long time!)

We are looking for some nightlife for the boys, a traditional vibe, plenty of slopes. And nice wide slopes for me!

Where we’ve been -
Morzine/Les Gets - liked the town and slopes but didn’t like narrow busy Avoriaz.

Courchevel/La Tania/1650- liked but couldn’t cope with Saulires (sp?) which limited skiing. Loved the ski down to St Martin de B.

Cervinia- favourite for skiing although found the town quite ugly. Loved the trip to Zermatt but didn’t enjoy the return. That would put me off going again.

Montgenevre- went a long time ago. Liked the Italy connection (although needed to do the green as it was our first ski holiday!)but no restaurants on slopes. Love stopping for a drink/hot chocolate.

Obergurgl- loved Austria but found it too cold and icey at NY. Missed trees! Eh oh!

Open minded but quite fancy Austria. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@RosieL, Saulire is completely avoidable. It's quite a steep red and a bit intimidating. If you were taken down there as a nervous intermediate I'd not follow that person again Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi thanks. I think I meant the lift at the top. Massive and a big intimidating. Can’t actually remember the slope! I don’t think I did the red itself.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@RosieL, you didn't say whether you are going with a tour operator or DIY. That can affect possible resort options for you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Everyone's unicorn is found in a different place.
Ours is at San Vigilio. If your half term is 10 - 17 February then I think that coincides with the Fasching carnival. One of the down sides to San Vigilio is getting there and if you are travelling at Fasching then it is better to avoid traffic heading to the Dolomites from Munich, so it is either Innsbruck (limited flights from North UK and expensive at half term) or Milan / Verona

But if you find your unicorn there, it is worth it. We will be there at half term. Again

Have a read : https://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4931213&highlight=kronplatz#4931213
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@RosieL, worthwhile looking at Sauze D'oulx, with slopes ideal for your skiing, plenty of scope for the more mileage demands, good food, good apres and evening atmosphere.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:
@RosieL, you didn't say whether you are going with a tour operator or DIY. That can affect possible resort options for you.

Hi, we can do both. Happy to organise myself. Happy to self cater, chalet or hotel.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski3 wrote:
@RosieL, worthwhile looking at Sauze D'oulx, with slopes ideal for your skiing, plenty of scope for the more mileage demands, good food, good apres and evening atmosphere.

Thanks. I’ll take a look..
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JHS wrote:
Everyone's unicorn is found in a different place.
Ours is at San Vigilio. If your half term is 10 - 17 February then I think that coincides with the Fasching carnival. One of the down sides to San Vigilio is getting there and if you are travelling at Fasching then it is better to avoid traffic heading to the Dolomites from Munich, so it is either Innsbruck (limited flights from North UK and expensive at half term) or Milan / Verona

But if you find your unicorn there, it is worth it. We will be there at half term. Again

Have a read : https://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?
p=4931213&highlight=kronplatz#4931213

Thanks. I’ll take a look. That is our half term week unfortunately.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kaltenbach in the Zillertal valley is supposed to be good for nice wide beginner runs. You've then got access to the full Zillertal using buses and trains for plenty of exploring.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
swskier wrote:
Kaltenbach.
Nightlife?

Maybe Crans, no really difficult slopes (one black and its not really a black) with a decent amount of easy ones, and a proper town so a fair bit going on. But Swiss prices.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ster wrote:
swskier wrote:
Kaltenbach.
Nightlife?

Head up to Mayrhofen I guess
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@swskier, bit of a schlep? May as well be in Mayrhofen.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all. What’s Mayrhofen like? The 17s will be out on their own so don’t really want them bussing etc…
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Saalbach Hinterglemm could be your unicorn... ticks all the boxes (I think). No idea what it's like at half term though!
latest report
@ElzP, I found it fairly busy mid January last winter, so imagine feb half term would be very busy.

@RosieL, Mayrhofen town has all you need. From the town you have direct access to both the Ahorn and Penken ski areas, Penken being the biggest of the two.

Despite living here, i've actually never skied Mayrhofen (we've only been here 6 weeks) so I can't really comment on suitability for you as a nervous skier, but plenty of people on here have skied the area who would know.
snow report
swskier wrote:
Kaltenbach in the Zillertal valley is supposed to be good for nice wide beginner runs. You've then got access to the full Zillertal using buses and trains for plenty of exploring.

Good call. The apres ski at the Postalm at the bottom of the ski slope in Kaltenbach is also pretty impressive. Madeye-Smiley

You probably won't have heard of Kaltenbach (I don't think any UK tour operators go there) but it's very easy to get there DIY. Get a cheap flight into Munich then you can go by the S8 S-Bahn from the airport to either Munich Ostbahn or Hauptbahnhof to get a train to Jenbach in Austria, just change platforms there onto the Zillertalbahn that goes up the valley from Jenbach to Kaltenbach (and it goes further on up the valley to Zell am Ziller as far as Mayrhofen). The Zillertalbahn and (skibuses) along the valley are included in the Zillertal Superski pass. The tourist office website has information on all types of accommodation.
snow report
And you should be looking for excellent personal tuition for yourself Smile. Don’t be stuck at “nervous inter” for ever!

Check your exact dates and local holidays, and avoid them. I went to Austria in our half term, and it was also “Dutch fortnight”, absolutely rammed. Didn’t help that there was little snow so everyone squeezed onto it.

Radical suggestion, Easter is early next year, try then, less crowded. More radical; Banff in Canada. Accommodation and tuition can be well discounted by mid March. True the plane tickets aren’t cheap Sad
ski holidays
Quote:

Radical suggestion, Easter is early next year, try then, less crowded.

I'd strongly agree with that. Nothing worse for a nervous skier than crowded slopes. And with getting top class tuition, too.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone. Honestly, I’ve had so many lessons. I can’t stand the thought of any more! Laughing

Unfortunately Easter is out as we’ve family visiting and to be honest I need warmth at that point of the year, not more snow!

I’ll check dates as Dutch week doesn’t sound good Very Happy
snow report
No apologies for banging the same drum as @Orange200 and @pam w, but would you give a session of a private lesson a go?
Some years ago we did a private lesson (an hour) on a Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.
We learned and progressed more than in a week of group lessons
snow conditions
@RosieL, I'm pretty sure that week is the busiest in the Alps this coming season. It's going to be busy where ever you go.
ski holidays
If you are DIY tripping it, then look at your flight options.
Innsbruck, Salzburg & Munich.
Narrow down based on flights.
Soll might tick a lot of boxes
snow report
@RosieL, I would also suggest the Zillertal is worth looking at, there is a wide variety of skiing along the valley, Mayrhofen has plenty of "apres" for 17 year olds the other villages tend to be a bit quieter though, it is fairly easy to get to from Munich (Innsbruck much closer but flights limited). Other options might be the SkiAmade area and Saalbach Hinterglemm both have lots of skiing and are near to Salzburg. Your comment about Obergurgl is spot on as it is so high there are no trees and it can be very cold and stormy, easy skiing though. The places I have mentioned here feature a good deal of skiing below the tree line (Zillertal not so much) and that is often helpful. There is plenty of "easy" skiing in all of them though, of course, no guarantees about the exact state of the snow when you visit. My experience is that high season crowds are a bit less in Austria than in France but but maybe I have manged to pick places less likely to attract big crowds. The Arlberg where I mostly go these days (not to be recommended for your specifications) can get crazy busy.
snow report
Madesimo, Lombardy, Italy

Got everything you need
snow conditions
If I was FORCED to go skiing that week, I'd definitely go to Italy!
latest report
Thanks again. I’m looking at Saalbach, Mayrhofen and Sauze d'Oulx. The thought of flying into Turin is quite appealing! We’re in Scotland so have limited options.

The only thing with Austria is it seems very hotel heavy and hence very pricey! I can’t face tea/cakes and a 4 course meal every night.

Thanks again about the skiing encouragement. Honestly I have spent so much on lessons. I probably have the record on here. 1 week group lessons in La Rosiere, a week private lessons in Montgenevre. Some lessons at a dry slope and also a snow dome near me. A week private in Overgurgl, a week private in Saas Fee and also in Madonna deC. A week group lessons in Courchevel. Two weeks ladies ski course in PdS.

I should be amazing!!!

Having said all that I have got into climbing recently and am not scared at all, so maybe my new found bravery will translate into skiing. We shall see!
snow report
Have you looked at Sunweb & Snowtrex? IMO you prob want a half board for somewhere like Saalbach or it can get expensive eating out for 4.
Saux is probably not friendly for anyone not comfortable on a red. Mayhofren / zillertal probably lets people go off (ie your kids) & do their own thing over a large area.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RosieL wrote:
Thanks again. I’m looking at Saalbach, Mayrhofen and Sauze d'Oulx. The thought of flying into Turin is quite appealing! We’re in Scotland so have limited options.

The only thing with Austria is it seems very hotel heavy and hence very pricey! I can’t face tea/cakes and a 4 course meal every night

For self catering in Austria try www.tiscover.com
ski holidays
Another vote for Mayrhofen. Great skiing, great apres. The Hotel Landenhof is lovely.
snow conditions
@RosieL, cost is going to be an issue next season, number of threads with folk commenting on the large increases for accommodation, lift passes etc. Hotels in Austria seem to prefer doing half board though most will do bed & breakfast as well though the deal for half board is usually pretty good. Apartments are pretty easy to find at least as many people stay in them as in hotels, generally larger than the stereotypical French rabbit hutch. Catered chalets popular with the brits in France are fairly uncommon. Best source of accommodation is almost always the tourist office website which will have a comprehensive booking portal. Italy has traditionally been seen as "cheap" whether that is still true no idea.
ski holidays
Quote:

Italy has traditionally been seen as "cheap" whether that is still true no idea

Not really, I think, though food on the mountain is probably the best value in the Alps.

Most French apartments are, of course, also larger than the "stereotypical French rabbit hutch" though these can still offer outstanding value for a family on a budget, prepared to organise themselves some simple meals with excellent supermarket wines at 7 - 10 euros a bottle!! If you want a luxury pad with horizon swimming pool and a cinema, no problem. You get what you pay for.

When I self-catered in Austria we ate a good deal better than when we stayed in an hotel. We took stuff with us, with meal planning in mind, and there was a good supermarket for fresh food. The apartment was lovely, spacious and beautifully warm with a handsome tiled stove. And there was a warm-spring swimming pool.

The truth is that there are no unicorns at half term. But I'd still go to Italy, though not easy to find ski in/ski out self-catering accommodation. I wouldn't worry about 17 year olds having to catch a bus though - they are much better able to cope with them than we older folk! Or kids who can't carry their own skis.
snow conditions
Soll? Westendorf?
Sauze D'oulx?
latest report
@RosieL,
Andorra?
snow report
“excellent supermarket wines at 7 - 10 euros a bottle!!”

That’s pushing the boat out a bit!
latest report
Austria is hotel heavy if you look on booking.com. As above, pick a town and go to its tourism office, you’ll see a lot more choice.

Andorra; nice big area, several blues, but nervous skiers should download to Soldeu /El Tarter at the end of the day, the lower “blue” runs can turn quite red (can run red, lol; carnage!). Just warn your sons to watch their wifi, the non-EU roaming can really sting.
latest report
1. St Anton
2. Saalbach
3. Verbier
latest report
Thanks everyone. I’m liking the look of Mayrhofen.
snow report
It looks like we can fly into Munich. Which would save a lot!
snow conditions
Or Salzburg. Innsbruck flights are very expensive! £700pp or £900pp from Edinburgh (Jet2/Tui)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy