Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Le Lac access to lifts

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all-knowing Tignes fans
I am thinking of taking a school trip to the Village Club Mileades which is on the main road through Le Lac. It is quite a schlep to the main lift points at Palafour but it is close (as the alpine chough flies) to the Paquis/Chaudanne lifts below the roads. Is it relatively easy to get up and down between these lifts and the hotel-for example, can you ski down/walk up the bank to get to the lifts rather than do an equally long walk around the road. Google streetview can only tell you so much.....
Got 50+ teenage kids so easy access to lifts is quite important....
Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowhound wrote:

Got 50+ teenage kids

That sounds careless.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This was a new one on me. Looking at the pictures it’s had a rebrand from something else. As you rightly identify it’s a bit of a schlep to the lifts. Getting down the bank to Paquis Chaudannes is not easy (and would be classed as off piste) and is a hands and knees climb back up. Via the road (past Les Fermes) is a long walk. You may get closer skiing in from above (track back to Chaudannes from Piste Petit Col) depending on the road layout and access between buildings. But a logistical nightmare.
The only bus is the Boisses shuttle which was every 15 mins last year, but the Maison Neuf stop is the last before the bus station so tricky to get on at peak times.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chocksaway, Thanks, yes on Google it is named as Lodge des Almes. Problem with the ski back and come off before the tunnel is there is no path along the road which ain't an option for a school trip.
The Tour op mentioned a 'new carpet', didn't get details....anything new which might help but not be on Google?
I have a decent plan B for ski/out in Les Menuires but Tignes would be better for many reasons. But I'm not traipsing a small army of teenagers up and down the Tignes Le Lac high street four times a day...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JayRo, Very Happy And I am now walking like John Wayne.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowhound wrote:
@chocksaway, Thanks, yes on Google it is named as Lodge des Almes. Problem with the ski back and come off before the tunnel is there is no path along the road which ain't an option for a school trip.
The Tour op mentioned a 'new carpet', didn't get details....anything new which might help but not be on Google?
I have a decent plan B for ski/out in Les Menuires but Tignes would be better for many reasons. But I'm not traipsing a small army of teenagers up and down the Tignes Le Lac high street four times a day...

The carpet is being talked about in place of the poma drag on the nursery slopes on Lavachet side but as far as I am aware (haven't been to Tignes for a couple months and it might be different now) but they are not doing that for this coming Winter! Not that it would help or hinder you either way I dont suppose in this case would it!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Steve Angus, @chocksaway, Thanks both. Looks like the Paq/Chaud lifts would take just as long to get to/from than the main lifts then despite being geographically close.
I see there's a bus service which runs past the hotel between the main ESF point and Breviere, which we could use to access the main lifts. Is it quite regular-like every 5 mins or so (e.g. like the Val ones) or more infrequent?
Basically, I'd love to make this work because of everything Tignes has to offer, but it would need some relatively straightforward way to get to/from lifts.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What level skiing are the kids at? That will have a bearing on whether you can use the Paq/Chaud lifts. Paquis back to LeLac is a black run and Chaudannes is red with a moderately steep start. There's a tow (possibly replaced by majic carpet) that let's you get up around the town but that starts further up from the chairs so a fair march up the piste.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@adithorp, you can usually get all the way down from Chaudannes to Palafour on blues. The entrance to the blue isn't as obvious as the red.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The walk up to the tourist information centre (or bus) might be the best bet. You'd then have access to a warm space with toilets before heading out onto the snow face where the main lifts are.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowhound, That’s the bus I referred to, its not the round village shuttle but the Lac-Boisses shuttle which runs every 15 mins (or it did last year!).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowhound,
https://www.tignes.net/uploads/media/default/0001/79/35179a9133411e80c6ce0a17559e775e0e1b8262.jpeg

Using street view, for the stop towards le Lac, have Lodge des Almes to your left [this is what came up when I googled Village Club Mileade Tignes], go past the first turn off to the left and look for the blue plaque on a stone column in the first building on the left. The stop from le Lac is opposite Lodge des Almes, at the Chalet Carton (wooden hut to the left of the bins) - again look for the blue plaque.
I think you would struggle to get 50 kids on the bus at the best of times.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@adithorp, you can usually get all the way down from Chaudannes to Palafour on blues. The entrance to the blue isn't as obvious as the red.

Yes bit a long (and flat) route with 50 beginner kids just to get to ski school meeting point isn't much better. That's why I asked what their level was.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
adithorp wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

Yes bit a long (and flat) route with 50 beginner kids just to get to ski school meeting point isn't much better. That's why I asked what their level was.

You've missed out the often questionable snow cover on that run Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I think you would struggle to get 50 kids on the bus at the best of times

I agree with @Kenzie, and would caution against trying that. Besides which, you'd be taking them on a 15 minute bus ride down the hill to save a 5 minute walk the opposite way. And then you have to ski them from Tignes 1800 back to Le Lac...

You need to share more @snowhound, to get useful responses. As @adithorp asks, what's their level? Plus what leading / instructing are you planning?

If I assume they are beginners or 1 week / 2 week skiers and they have to meet instructors, then using the lift system from Chaudannes / Paquis creates a big risk of them being late and running into problems, however easy the runs used on the journey might be. The main meeting place in Tignes Le Lac is on the snow front by Palafour chair lift and it's unlikely you'd be met anywhere else. Plus, to follow the chough / crow to Chaudannes chair does involve a steep bank over private land and again is not advised.

The Mileades building looks like the one used by TCC in the past. If so, having stayed there, I'd say you should simply walk them on the road (which has a separate pavement) up the hill to the snowfront at Palafour. As @Henwc says, use the facilities at Maison de Tignes to keep them warm and they will also have loos to hand. If I compare this walk to what school groups have to do in, eg La Thuile, where everything is regarded as being 'on the spot' - yours would be minimal.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, @bobski62, @adithorp, @Kenzie,
Morning all, thanks for your comments-much appreciated-particularly regarding the bus service which does not look like a goer either. They're all competent/very good skiers, aged 15-17 lads-parents have been taking them for years. The Tour Op is seeing if there is a way for us to store our skis and boots at the hire shop which is at the base of the main lifts, which would make the walk more straight-forward.
We're going to go for it-the benefits of Tignes far outweigh the inconvenience of a walk, compared to the Plan B. I saw what looks like a proper path down the back of the bin layby opposite the hotel on Streetview, and think they could get up/down that. ESF had agreed to meet us/drop off at Paquis/Chaudannes.
I'm going en famille to Tignes this December so will ski down to the Paq/Chaud lifts and check it out.
ski holidays
@snowhound, Which hire shop? They dont all have loads of space in my exp.

Mountain Story (incredibly convenient for your purposes) used to have a big storage locker area, but turned it into part of their cafe a couple years back.
snow report
adithorp wrote:
What level skiing are the kids at? That will have a bearing on whether you can use the Paq/Chaud lifts. Paquis back to LeLac is a black run and Chaudannes is red with a moderately steep start. There's a tow (possibly replaced by majic carpet) that let's you get up around the town but that starts further up from the chairs so a fair march up the piste.

Chaudannes you can do a blue that gets you back to Le Lac so its not that difficult.

In terms of the OP, I always find that part of Tignes a bit of a schlep and you are better off in and around the Maison de Tignes. I'd go you 2nd option an Les Menuires
latest report
@GreenDay, Don't know but we don't need it now! We've found a striaght forward way through the chalets on Chamin de Marais which is only 50 m or so from the hotel, to access the piste just above the tunnel, and then ski down to the lifts where ESF will meet us. They can then drop us off at the same point to walk back to the hotel for lunch and the end of the day. Its obviously the way that people in the chalets on that street access the skiing.
For a school trip, Tignes has so much more going on than Les Menuires so just wanted to find a way which works-and this should.
snow report
@snowhound, I think you’re referring to a small track that takes you down to the piste - it’s maybe 10-15 metres long if that, but possibly a tad intimidating for literal day one skiers (it’s a bit slick and narrow, with a sharp left, you essentially just have to go for it). Might also be a bit of a scramble back up (even though it’s not far, and nowhere near the ‘cheese-rolling’ gradient of the slope on the other side of the road.

Coming back there’s also a narrow track about 100 metres up the hill (just as the run takes a right, and after the netting) - that brings you back outside the hotel apartments. Avoids the need for any climbing back up at all, but again may need to assess the abilities of the group.
snow conditions
The OP has said they are all good skiers, 15 to 17 year old lads who have skied with parents, so it doesn’t sound as if there are any day one skiers - unless they have been telling porky pies.
latest report
Missed that - they’d be fine with both tracks then.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy