Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thuile Easter 2024 - or elsewhere?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads!

Thanks in fairly large part to the wealth of advice on here, we had our first family skiing holiday in La Thuile in Feb half term this year (my wife and I had previously done lots in various places, but this was our first with the kids, who were 8 and 6 in Feb). We had a great time and things worked about as well as we could have hoped. So thank you all for years of cumulative advice.

It worked so well, I would be happy to repeat the whole thing, mainly so the kids don't have to worry about a new resort. BUT we'd love to go with another family (similar aged kids, just a year or two older) who find it much easier to go at Easter than Feb half term.

So my question is: will La Thuile work at Easter (the very first week of April)?

If not, where would you recommend for two families with kids from 7 to ~12, all kids on their 2nd holiday, parents experienced? Our criteria are: obviously snow sure at that time; self-catering (kids innit); don't fancy driving; not insanely expensive; easy slope access. We coped with a transfer from Milan for La Thuile, but shorter is better.

I look forward to the usual sage advice/partisan squabbling.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No probs with the snow most of the skiing is on the upper levels , always plenty of snow on the pass at that time of year and because the lower part of La Thuille is in the shade return to the village by ski is normally possible that time of year if you don’t fancy it you can always go down on the Gondola . I always do at least one day trip for lunch at that time of year to La Thuille for lunch from our base in Sainte Foy and always ski to the village . I would recommend you do what you know best .
Also flying to Turin would mean a much shorter transfer , lovely little airport .less than 2 hrs by car .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have been to La Thuile mid April.
I think it will be quite hard to find a more snow-sure resort.
-The amount of snowfall per year is enormous.
-Over 80% the slopes are over 2000.
-Slopes back to the village are facing off the sun, most of the time in the shadow
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@parttimer, You should be ok in La Thuile at Easter this year as Easter is early. As others have said the main ski area is well above the village and access up and down is easy by gondola if the snow is not to your satisfaction. To me the best pistes were the blacks leading into the town, but even these have sufficient tree shade to keep their snow well. The only bits that suffered were the tarmac on the road leading over from La Rosiere. Once the cover gets breached the snow goes quickly on the black surface. But you do not have to go that way.

Have a good trip
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry I meant next year ie 2024
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

So my question is: will La Thuile work at Easter (the very first week of April)?

Basically, yes. I've skied in La Thuile many times in April and every time, it has consistently been good skiing if you take the Les Suches gondola up and down to access it. It has always been possible to also ski home to the village from the top of Les Suches but that's been more variable: worst case, it's possible but not necessarily much fun. Handy that you can simply download back to the village on the gondola, which many folk do late season.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone - consider my concerns allayed! I'm not too worried about the lack/difficulty of runs back down to the village, this year once the kids had graduated to being up at Les Suches, we came down in the gondola with them in the evening rather than risk trauma.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy